It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fed Up With Michelle Obama’s School Lunch Overhaul

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   
It seems that most people, alot of people, do not have children and do not fully understand the magnitude pf the problems of the school lunches these days.

My son is 11 years old, he is bigger in stature than most, just about every single kid in his class. He comes home and tells me that they serve 3 chicken nuggets, 5 french fries, and a banana.

Yes my daughter tells me this also.

This is absurd on the highest levels. Starving our children and treating them all as equals in the "calorie count" is not the way to go. My kids come home starving.

They might not control the individual school districts menu , but they sure do control the calorie intake and this directly controls the districts ability to choose which foods to feed our children.

School foods is and has never made our children fat. It is the lack of exercising when they get home. Why don't they add longer PE classes instead of starving our children out?

She has completely wrecked the school lunch progeam. Schools are having a hard time finding the right amount and servings for these foods.

Thanks Mrs Obama, you have done one hell of a job(sarcasm off).

edit on 6-4-2014 by liejunkie01 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I swear, most of you people just crack me up.

Yet again.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Snarl

Dear Snarl...I am with you....soon, they will be singing praises to der fuhrer, opps, I meat to the obamantion - mmm, mmm, mmm !!

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 01:14 PM
link   

why I personally see the activities done by Michelle Obama as positive.
reply to post by Cabin

I don't agree with this at all. Lets look at who she is trying to promote healthy eating, starts a garden at the white house, Nothing new their and she don't have to worry about her kids getting feed right at schools. You are correct she is the one Promoting this but does not mean that the schools don't have to follow the program, but must choose to do so.

Like one of the post said, if you don't have kids in school right now you just don't understand the issue. I went and looked up a menu from last month at my kids school and this is what is being served, made a mistake its $2.75 per meal for my kids, it used to me only $2.00 before this program went into place.

NACHOS (Its those disgusting Nachos with no flavor)
FIXINGS ( some time melted cheese other times nothing)
WK CORN
DINNER ROLL
MANDARIN ORANGES (3 pieces)
FRUIT CHOICE-HS ( cost Extra)

BBQ PORK ( Dried up meat boiled in water with a dash of BBQ Sauce)
ON PAN BUN
BEANS
STEAMED CARROTS (about 1 tablespoon Full)
VEGGIES STICKS/ LIGHT RANCH
CINNAMON APPLESAUCE
FRUIT CHOICE- HS (cost Extra)

BAKED POTATO WEDGES WITH
HAM AND CHEESE SAUCE ( don't even have a clue what the hell this is)
STEAMED BROCCOLI
DINNER ROLL
FRESH FRUIT
GRAHAM CRACKER

ITALIAN MEAT SAUCE ( what the hell, what is a meat sauce?)
OVER WG PASTA
WINTER VEGGIES
DINNER ROLL
VEGGIE STICKS/ LIGHT RANCH
FRESH FRUIT

PEPPERONI OR CHEESE PIZZA
GARDEN SALAD
CALIFORNIA VEGGIES
BABY CARROTS
FRESH FRUIT

And yes these are all proportioned out to the kids by age.

I just don't understand how the school system would allow this to go on. I don't think its in there place to be preaching to the parents and kids on what they are going to be eating, last I recall we are paying for it. I can understand them teaching about good eating but I believe that good eating starts at home.

I have eaten at my kids school and I was disgusted with it, from what I have seen is most kids would get there lunch and through most of it away as soon as they walked by a garbage can, can't blame them who likes soybean hamburgers. I see more and more kids brown begging it and the schools wonder what's wrong, they just don't seem to get the message.

I have written to our local paper and they printed my OPION, I was shocked because the following days I have received many calls about the school lunch program, a few of them were from former school employees, and they said that the schools don't want to loose there federal funding when it comes to lunch.

I rather pay $5 a meal knowing my kids are eating and are full instead of starving all day long, if most of you that have kids you all know that they can sit down and have dinner and two hours later they are back at the frig looking for something else.

For all of those that think this is good program, go eat there for yourself then make a judgment call, follow up with pictures.

I can remember my school lunches back in the 70 to early 80, sure they were not the greatest, but at least you got to eat something that you wanted instead of being dictated on how much you get.

edit on 6-4-2014 by 19KTankCommander because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Cabin

Your post may make sense if it wasn't for the high incidence of goitrogenic foods in their meals. These foods make some kids less active hence they become overweight.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   

DJW001
reply to post by Snarl

OMG! Kids are complaining about the food in the school cafeteria! That has never ever happened before in the whole history of humanity! Burn Michelle at the stake!

While at the same hour of the day she is having a steak and lobster dinner with a glass of fine wine.
Firepiston

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 04:06 PM
link   
School lunches are way overpriced for what you get. At my school you HAVE to get at least 5 items, of course it's to make sure kids get all of their food groups, but the problem with that is almost every bit of food is re-used or not healthy for you at all. One of the rectangular pizzas costs $2.50 (excluding the other 4 items you purchase). I put $20 dollars in every week on Monday and it's all gone after Wednesday's lunch. Don't even get me started on the cafeteria workers taking money from accounts, hell it's actually happening across the entire district. I've had to go with my family to my little sister's elementary school because money was being subtracted from her account on days when she would bring her own lunch. I ruled out other people using her account because when you type in your school i.d. number, a picture of yourself appears on their screen. So it's either that is happening and workers don't even care someone is taking money or the workers do it themselves. I hope others don't have to go through this (excuse me for my rant)

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 04:07 PM
link   
We went to Grandparent's day at our grandson's school,
& got to eat in the cafeteria. It was a real eye opener!
How things have changed & not for the better!

The juice wasn't real, it was a 'drink'!
Most of the milk was flavored. Vanilla, chocolate, strawberry,
with sugar or corn syrup, carrageen & a bunch of other stuff!
I actually got sick from eating there & I was trying to be careful!
And they wonder where obesity is coming from? Seriously???

At our other grandkid's school, they had chicken nuggets,
canned peaches in corn syrup, celery & carrot sticks,
with a chemical & preservative laden dip!
When they showed me their menu for the month,
chicken nuggets, fingers or patties,
were being served for 12 days out of 20!

The high school that our kids went to,
just found out they have been serving pink slime!
That's the whole problem, everything is processed now.
You don't know what you are eating!

When I was growing up,
most of our school food was homemade from scratch,
except for the big cans of fruit in the winter.
But that wasn't canned in corn syrup back then.
There were no fat kids in the whole school!
Only a handful were considered 'chunky'!
Today they would be normal!
No learning disabilities, ADD....

We need to get back to basics!
But kids need to be introduced to real food from the beginning.
You can't feed them junk food until they go to school,
& then serve them healthy food all of a sudden!
Our kids loved spinach, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, etc!
They were the 'weird' kids! The cafeteria ladies loved them!!!

Our oldest son developed a severe allergy to corn when he was young.
That's when I started reading everything I could find.
All of a sudden, corn was in everything processed!

So we went processed food free, with an occasional 'cheat' meal.
Funny thing was, after we stopped eating it, we all got sick whenever we cheated!
Even the kids decided it wasn't worth it! And it didn't taste good to us anymore either!
Cattle are fed corn to fatten them up before they go to market! Duh!!!
And corn syrup is concentrated corn!

My cousin went to school with a mortician's son.
He said his dad joked that people were eating so many preservatives,
that pretty soon he wouldn't need to use embalming fluid anymore!!!

Time for common sense to prevail.
Healthy in...healthy out!
It isn't rocket science people!!!
WOQ

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 11:44 PM
link   

DJW001

Snarl
reply to post by DJW001

I used to eat in the cafeteria. We didn't get served crap like that.

The MO lunch program looks like it is running as successfully as the ObamaCare rollout.

If the cafeteria at your school is serving crud, it has nothing to do with Michelle Obama

Yep nothing to do with her at all

"New school lunch standards implemented as a result of First Lady Michelle Obama’s anti-obesity campaign have led to more than 1 million children leaving the lunch line, according to a new report."

edit on 6-4-2014 by whywhynot because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 12:15 AM
link   

whywhynot

DJW001

Snarl
reply to post by DJW001

The MO lunch program looks like it is running as successfully as the ObamaCare rollout.

If the cafeteria at your school is serving crud, it has nothing to do with Michelle Obama

"New school lunch standards implemented as a result of First Lady Michelle Obama’s anti-obesity campaign have led to more than 1 million children leaving the lunch line, according to a new report."

Do you realize that "The Washington Times" is owned and operated by Sun Yung Moon?

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 12:20 AM
link   

DJW001

whywhynot

DJW001

Snarl
reply to post by DJW001

Do you realize that "The Washington Times" is owned and operated by Sun Yung Moon?

Damned talented guy if you ask me ...LOL Link

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 03:04 AM
link   
reply to post by DietJoke

As I was doing research on this other thread ...

Bill backed by Koch brothers and Monsanto to block GMO labeling laws in US

... I was checking out the Grocery Manufacturers Association

... when by pure chance I happened to read ...

On March 16, 2010 at the Grand Hyatt Washington, First Lady Michelle Obama called on the GMA to help her with her Let's Move! campaign to reduce childhood obesity.

... which is unfortunate because ...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

So Monsanto sets up a Coalition of the willing to fight mandatory GMO labeling ... and the Koch brothers, behind the Grocery Manufacturers Association in the form of James B. Hannan, CEO and President of Georgia-Pacific, and behind the politics in the form of Congressman Mike Pompeo,... bankrolled $22 million to defeat Washington State’s ballot initiative on GMO labeling last year.

What do Monsanto and the Koch brothers/Industries have in common? ... They both own/run FERTILIZER businesses.

Do we really want fertilizer companies dictating what the kids can and can not eat???

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 07:57 AM
link   

DJW001

whywhynot

DJW001

Snarl
reply to post by DJW001

Good thing that they are not "owned" by the Left wing media or this discusting program would be repressed too. I suppose that you get your news from Jon Stewart on Comedy Central.

Are you still trying to say its not true that Michelle O owns the failed school lunch program? You are wrong. Just Google it. Have a small taste of this news alert. The USDA a good enough source?

FAIRFAX, Va., Jan. 25. 2012 – First Lady Michelle Obama and Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack today unveiled new standards for school meals that will result in healthier meals for kids across the nation. The new meal requirements will raise standards for the first time in more than fifteen years and improve the health and nutrition of nearly 32 million kids that participate in school meal programs every school day. The healthier meal requirements are a key component of the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act, which was championed by the First Lady as part of her Let's Move! campaign and signed into law by President Obama.

www.usda.gov.../01/0023.xml

You don't believe that over a million kids dumped Michelle's program? Once again you are wrong and Moon was right. GAO a good enough link for you?

What GAO Found
Nationwide, student participation in the National School Lunch Program declined by 1.2 million students (or 3.7 percent) from school year 2010-2011 through school year 2012-2013, after having increased steadily for many years. This decrease was driven primarily by a decline of 1.6 million students eating school lunch who pay full price for meals, despite increases in students eating school lunch who receive free meals. State and local officials reported that the changes to lunch content and nutrition requirements, as well as other factors, influenced student participation. For example, almost all states reported through GAO's national survey that obtaining student acceptance of lunches that complied with the new requirements was challenging during school year 2012-2013, which likely affected participation in the program. Federal, state, and local officials reported that federally-required increases to lunch prices, which affected many districts, also likely influenced participation.

www.gao.gov...

edit on 7-4-2014 by whywhynot because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by whywhynot

If fewer schools are participating in a federal program, that means that fewer tax dollars are being spent on it. Michelle Obama is saving taxpayer dollars! Burn her at the stake!

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

So you can't defend you statement and now you say that it doesn't really matter. Typical and very boring. Good luck with your life.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 08:22 AM
link   

whywhynot
reply to post by DJW001

So you can't defend you statement and now you say that it doesn't really matter. Typical and very boring. Good luck with your life.

What is there to defend? It is up to local government to determine how to apply the federal program. Some local governments opt out. That does not make it a failure. What is your problem with that?

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 08:35 AM
link   

beezzer
reply to post by Snarl

All First Ladies pick a "cause" during their husbands term(s).

Laura Bush chose literacy programs.

But unlike Laura Bush, who didn't tell children WHAT kind of books to read, Michelle Obama chose a program that enabled her to endorse a program to tell what kind of foods to eat.

Yes because when compared to her husband every child above the first grade was literate. So her job was done.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Yes because when compared to her husband every child above the first grade was literate. So her job was done.

I just cant stop laughing lol.... how am i gonna explain no coffee rule at the desktop now.. :/
edit on 4/7/2014 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 08:50 AM
link   
When I was in grade school .... (40+ years ago) ... my favorite meal was the meat loaf.
We had really good meat loaf with gravy, mashed potatoes and green beans.
Dessert was a cookie. Also - milk.

Then in high school (35+ years ago) we had a salad bar that I always went to.
I had a huge salad. It had everything on it. And a bunch of fruit and cheese with it.
It came with a big bread roll with whatever you wanted on it ... butter, jam, honey.

If I didn't eat at the salad bar, the lunch line had good solid servings of two choices of a meal.
Always with a pasta or meat ... with a veggie or two ... dessert ... and a drink of milk, water, or juice.

There was nothing wrong with any of that.

And there were no junk food machines ... no soda and no chip machines.
We had water fountains and kids could bring in their own snacks for between classes.

We all survived just fine. And almost all the kids had weight that was fine as well.

If you drop calories too low, then the kids on sports won't have the energy to play.
And the brainiacs won't have the energy to think. Seriously. You have to have calories to think with.

Anyways ... that's my comment ...
(and now I"m sitting here thinking about that meat loaf .. man it was good)

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 09:00 AM
link   

DJW001

whywhynot
reply to post by DJW001

What is there to defend? It is up to local government to determine how to apply the federal program. Some local governments opt out. That does not make it a failure. What is your problem with that?

Memory lapse? You said

And I "schooled" you on how it was Michelle Obama. But nice job of changing subjects and thanks for playing.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join