It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fed Up With Michelle Obama’s School Lunch Overhaul

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 05:55 AM
link   
More surprising photos at The Blaze

Editor’s Note: Some of the language used by students in this story is of the colorful variety, just so you know...
Now these pics might speak to you ... but they cause me to ask: "How much has this program set the taxpayers back?"

I wanna know why the government is constantly drilling deeper and deeper into the everyday lives of our families. What's it gonna take to make them back-off? Sounds like kids are better at having an impact than adults.

about one million public school students said “no way” to their cafeteria menus after Michelle Obama’s anti-obesity campaign led to anger and frustration over food that apparently many American kids didn’t want to stomach.
Was this some subtle method of empowering children? Are they going to be issued brown uniform shirts to wear home next?

And don't even make me start asking what Michelle's mom is doing in permanent residence at the White House.

+14 more 
posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 06:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Snarl

OMG! Kids are complaining about the food in the school cafeteria! That has never ever happened before in the whole history of humanity! Burn Michelle at the stake!

+8 more 
posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 06:06 AM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

I used to eat in the cafeteria. We didn't get served crap like that.

The MO lunch program looks like it is running as successfully as the ObamaCare rollout.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 06:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Snarl

Carne picada frita con maiz y tortillas de maiz con mortadela y queso..viva mexico..

Tortilla and fried mince with corn..whats the square thing on the tray ?? bread??
edit on AM7Sun20141972 by andy1972 because: (no reason given)

edit on Sun Apr 6 2014 by DontTreadOnMe because: subst REPLY TO Quote Crash Course

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Snarl
reply to post by DJW001

I used to eat in the cafeteria. We didn't get served crap like that.

The MO lunch program looks like it is running as successfully as the ObamaCare rollout.

If the cafeteria at your school is serving crud, it has nothing to do with Michelle Obama and everything to do with your local school board. I can tell you what they will say: they don't have enough money to provide food that is both healthy and appetizing. Of course, since you are so concerned about the food served in your school's cafeteria, I am sure you will lead the charge to raise taxes to pay for them.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 06:12 AM
link   

andy1972

Snarl
More surprising photos at The Blaze

Editor’s Note: Some of the language used by students in this story is of the colorful variety, just so you know...
Now these pics might speak to you ... but they cause me to ask: "How much has this program set the taxpayers back?"

I wanna know why the government is constantly drilling deeper and deeper into the everyday lives of our families. What's it gonna take to make them back-off? Sounds like kids are better at having an impact than adults.

about one million public school students said “no way” to their cafeteria menus after Michelle Obama’s anti-obesity campaign led to anger and frustration over food that apparently many American kids didn’t want to stomach.
Was this some subtle method of empowering children? Are they going to be issued brown uniform shirts to wear home next?

And don't even make me start asking what Michelle's mom is doing in permanent residence at the White House.

Carne picada frita con maiz y tortillas de maiz con jamon y queso..viva mexico..

Tortilla and fried mince with corn..whats the sqaure thing on the tray ?? bread??

LOL Looks like something used to sop up whatever calories might remain after a good scraping with a plastic fork.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 06:16 AM
link   
I'm pretty sure that Michelle has nothing to say about about what individual schools serve to their kids and I am also pretty sure that the families pay for these lunches. At least we did. I know there were some kids who got free lunches but for the most part the food was paid for by the parents.
We talked about mystery meat and joked about school lunches since school lunch was first offered.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 06:17 AM
link   
The ingredience are one thing the look another.

If the ingredience are right and can get you through the day i see no problem with it looking borring.

If you want fancy looking food, go pay for it or make it your self.

I agree though it does look borring.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 06:18 AM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

I can tell you what they will say: they don't have enough money to provide food that is both healthy and appetizing.
And I'm sure her supporters would 'eat that right up' too.

Seems to me we didn't have problems like this when I was growing up. I don't remember this being a problem for my own kids either.

So ... why now all of a sudden? MO stuck her nose in ... didn't she?

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 06:21 AM
link   

Snarl
reply to post by DJW001

I can tell you what they will say: they don't have enough money to provide food that is both healthy and appetizing.
And I'm sure her supporters would 'eat that right up' too.

Seems to me we didn't have problems like this when I was growing up. I don't remember this being a problem for my own kids either.

So ... why now all of a sudden? MO stuck her nose in ... didn't she?

Really? Where did you and your kids go to school that you were treated to fine dining? I went to an excellent high school in an affluent neighborhood and the cafeteria was infamous for adding soybean to the hamburgers and using ordinary ketchup as "tomato sauce" on pizza and spaghetti. (Remember when Congress considered ketchup a vegetable?)

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 06:25 AM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

LOL ... I attended public school in Florida and my kids went to school in a military community. I don't think any of us would have ever found a reason to blame the First Lady for rotten cafeteria food. Of course, Twitter wasn't around back in the day either.

Ketchup isn't a vegetable? Thanks for making me smile!!

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 06:32 AM
link   

DJW001
reply to post by Snarl

OMG! Kids are complaining about the food in the school cafeteria! That has never ever happened before in the whole history of humanity! Burn Michelle at the stake!

I can't say i disagree...

You can imagine neaderthals kids screaming in their cave's..."jesus, mammoth AGAIN..i'm sick of this crap, i want T-rex or something.."

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 06:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Snarl

I don't think any of us would have ever found a reason to blame the First Lady for rotten cafeteria food.

Just as there is no reason to blame the First Lady now. So why are people doing it? After all, the school board is an example of local government, and conservatives love local government.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 06:43 AM
link   

DJW001
reply to post by Snarl

I don't think any of us would have ever found a reason to blame the First Lady for rotten cafeteria food.

Just as there is no reason to blame the First Lady now. So why are people doing it? After all, the school board is an example of local government, and conservatives love local government.

Interesting Link
The Feds are definitely peddling influence.

I don't have Twitter account, but it might be interesting to see what the kids who tweeted those photos have to think ... if a picture isn't already worth a thousand words.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Snarl

The Feds are definitely peddling influence.

I don't understand. The phrase 'peddle influence' means to provide government action in exchange for money. Think Rod Blagojavich.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 06:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Snarl

I am shocked that not one person has mentioned this... so I am:

Where is the fruit? Where is the full serving of vegetables? (i/2 cup of corn needs to be in there for it to be a full serving) that whole thing doesn't appear to be 1/2 cup!

There might be a full serving of meat in there because of serving of meat is 3 ounces so I wont complain there. But the fruit, at least 1/2 the vegetables and all the dairy appear to be completely missing and those are so totally the most important parts of the meal!

If she is on an obesity kick then she needs to learn that starvation wont help anyone to loose weight, it will make the body attempt to hold on to every ounce of fat its got though!

I am so glad my granddaughter's school ignores this #### and feeds them good and healthy food! Those pictures? Horrifying!
edit on 6-4-2014 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by OpinionatedB

Where is the fruit?

They are teenagers, they didn't choose the fruit. In fact, what makes anyone think that these are photos of the complete meal they were offered? They just chose to photograph the ugly part. And while we're at it, what are those kids doing carrying their cellphones around? Shouldn't those be kept in their lockers during school hours? Kids. Hmph.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 07:00 AM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

what do you mean choose the fruit? The lunch lady puts the food on the tray. The only choice in my granddaughter's school is which fruit does the child want on their tray - the banana or the canned peaches (for instance)

And I have never in my life seen a child say no I don't want any fruit... never seen such a thing... fruit is the dessert!

edit on 6-4-2014 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 07:12 AM
link   
National School Lunch Program

The National School Lunch Program is a federally assisted meal program operating in public and nonprofit private schools and residential child care institutions. It provides nutritionally balanced, low-cost or free lunches to children each school day. The program was established under the National School Lunch Act, signed by President Harry Truman in 1946.

The Food and Nutrition Service administers the program at the Federal level. At the State level,
the National School Lunch Program is usually administered by State education agencies, which
operate the program through agreements with school food authorities.

School lunchs must meet meal pattern and nutrition standards based on the latest Dietary
Guidelines for Americans.

States select entitlement foods for their schools from a list of various foods purchased by USDA
and offered through the school lunch program. Bonus foods are offered only as they become
available through agricultural surplus. The variety of both entitlement and bonus USDA foods
schools can get from USDA depends on quantities available and market prices.

USDA National Food Act

Through the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act championed by the
First Lady and signed by President Obama, USDA is making the first
major changes in school meals in 15 years, which will help us raise a
healthier generation of children.

The legislation

Improving child nutrition is the focal point of the Healthy, Hunger-Free
Kids Act of 2010. The legislation authorizes funding and sets policy for
USDA's core child nutrition programs: the National School Lunch Program,
the School Breakfast Program, the Special Supplemental Nutrition
Program for Women, Infants and Children (WIC), the Summer Food
Service Program, and the Child and Adult Care Food Program. The
Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act allows USDA, for the first time in over
30 years, opportunity to make real reforms to the school lunch and
breakfast programs by improving the critical nutrition and hunger safety
net for millions of children.

The answer is: Yes. Michelle Obama had a hand in school lunches that are severed to kids in public and private schools that participate in the National School Lunch Program

However, yes, it's on a local level that decides what the school will be serving:

States select entitlement foods for their schools from a list of various foods purchased by USDA
and offered through the school lunch program. Bonus foods are offered only as they become
available through agricultural surplus. The variety of both entitlement and bonus USDA foods
schools can get from USDA depends on quantities available and market prices.

BUT .... what they are allowed to serve is based upon a list from the USDA.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Personally, I don't remember school lunches while I was in grade school. I do remember taking my lunch to school most of the time.

However, as a teen, while over seas in DOD schools, I remember our cafeterias were actually part of the "Greasy Spoon", serving hamburgers, french fries and chicken sandwiches (not exactly the healthiest meals). But they didn't taste bad at all.

I do remember other kids complaining about their food. And I remember my older kids complaining about their food when Clinton and W. Bush were in office.

I also recall my father saying his food back in the 1950's at school was nothing to write home about.

Personally, I've always thought that if your kids don't like what they are being served, and you care about it; send lunch with them if you can.

Some times I think it's about how the food looks. Here is a short video clip of my young step son Josh and his friend. We were making a video for Cub Scouts, parody of a news cast, in which my son gave an editorial griping about school lunches. In the video he was talking about being served "green chicken".
This clip here, the camera was still running when we had finished, and one of the parents asked them "Is the chicken at school really green?"

Watch their reaction:

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join