It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rh negative blood and the palmaris longus

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Im a Physical Therapy student at Penn State. About a year ago I learned about a few obscure muscles that not everyone has. One of them being the palmaris longus. Im the only one in the class that doesn't have them. You can check yourself by looking at your wrist, palm side and flexing your hand toward the ceiling. The thin band that pops out is the tendon to the muscle, some have a harder time than others in finding it. If you play around bending your wrist you'll eventually find it. Google image will help.

The palmaris longus helps you grip things, most of our knowledge of this muscle comes from rhesus monkeys. It's been nicknamed the tree climbing tendon.

Our book says this muscle is absent in about 15% of the population. I couldn't help but make a connection with 15% of the population has rh negative blood. I thought this would have been discussed somewhere but Google search i couldn't find anything. Sorry if a bit vague I'm at work. Any thoughts?

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 08:37 AM
link   
I'm RH negative and I have the muscle...what does that mean? Interesting though I thought everyone had one...

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by TNMockingbird

Well im sure it's not cut and dry, I just thought maybe somewhere there was a connection between the two

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 08:42 AM
link   
from my very limited experience, being RH - doesn't have to mean you will not have palmuris longus.
the percentage of population could be just a coincidence and also means nothing if the people with RH - are having palmuris longus.
should research it more, there could be some connection.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by demus

I have never heard of this, and I did a quick Google search...it looks like I have it. It's really weird, you would think that cool, and interesting stuff like this would be taught in school. And, honestly, it looks like I have two....?
edit on 5-4-2014 by Catacomb because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Corpsehoagie

No disrespect intended. I really DID think that everyone had the basic same muscles. I will be looking at everyone's wrists for awhile...LOL

Peace

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 08:52 AM
link   
I'm Rh negative and I have the muscle.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by cyberheater

Oh this gets even more interesting. Another quick Google search shows that cats have them. You know what it's used for...? Retracting claws! That is so awesome, and amazing. It's like a look back in time to when humans could have had the ability to have retractable claws?! (Just hypothesizing here, and being slightly silly, but this really is kinda neat)

Thanks OP, this has been a fun learning experience.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Thanks for sharing your preliminary hypothesis... always interested in rH neg stuff. ATS can be a decent place to test out ideas. I myself am rH neg, but the muscle clearly pops out, so your hypothesis is most likely incorrect or maybe there is some relationship that just isn't universal. But thanks for putting it out there because there are definitely new discoveries to be made about everything, and ya can't know much until ya try to confirm 'em.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Catacomb

U probably dont have them then, those two is what I see, my brain is fried from it being my final month of school, but those are different muscle tendons, flexor digitorum? I cant recall off hand at the moment again my brain is mush

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 09:23 AM
link   
I am rh negative and I have the tendon. My son and husband also have it, and they're rh positive.

I thought this was interesting, though. Thanks!

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 09:31 AM
link   
RH - and have it .. interesting theory though ..

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 09:45 AM
link   
This is interesting. I am rh negative and I have the palmaris longus also. Incidentally, I wasn't sure until I saw an image that helped me. Touch your pinky and thumb then bend the wrist around. It makes it clearer. I assume you are rh negative also? I don't remember seeing it in your OP. Even if it's not linked to only rh factor, it still is very interesting that only a few people have it.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Ellie Sagan
This is interesting. I am rh negative and I have the palmaris longus also. Incidentally, I wasn't sure until I saw an image that helped me. Touch your pinky and thumb then bend the wrist around. It makes it clearer. I assume you are rh negative also? I don't remember seeing it in your OP. Even if it's not linked to only rh factor, it still is very interesting that only a few people have it.

it is 15% of the people who don't have it, not who have it so if you DON'T have it, you're an exception.
not the other way around.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Ellie Sagan

Im negative yes, when I saw my parents over the holidays neither of them had the tendon, I'm not sure of their blood type. But im googling now and seeing that Scandinavians have a higher rh neg population. Im icelandic on my dads side and norwegian on my moms, well if you trace the names back far enough, growing up I was slovak thats it, but the names suggest other wise. However my dads sibilings have the tendon ha.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 10:10 AM
link   
heres a test for it.

edit on 5-4-2014 by ZeussusZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Corpsehoagie

Our book says this muscle is absent in about 15% of the population. I couldn't help but make a connection with 15% of the population has rh negative blood. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

I have O-pos blood, and I don't have the muscle. However, I DO have an extra lumbar vertebra at the base of my spine (less than 4% of people), and a transverse process in L-5 that is fused to the sacrum (about 14%?). Also, red hair (2% of population), freckles (16%), (but not the super-white skin; I tan without trying), and blue eyes (17%). All unusual (except the blood type). Hmmm...

Thanks for the OP, interesting to look up the weirdness of myself (beyond temperament and personality..LOL!).

Celtic/Germanic ancestry with some Scandinavian thrown in (Finnish). We are special. (Good at beer-drinking, too!)

Question to all, though far off-topic: How rare are you?
Answer: perfectly unique.
edit on 4/5/2014 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 10:25 AM
link   
neither my wife or i have it.

I was a champion power lifter. But i have an enormously weak grip given the strength of my body. Perhaps this would explain why?

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Yep, I have a weak grip also, and frequent cramps in the phalange webs.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Im rh negative and i can´t find it. Intresting, now i might know the reason why i have clumpsy hands and drop things

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join