It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rh negative blood and the palmaris longus

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Thanks for the interesting post. Mine sticks out all the time. Wonder what that means? Old and bony?
Thin skin? Good muscles?

Forgot to add I'm NOT Rh Negative.
edit on 5-4-2014 by Bachrk because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

I can relate, my friends make fun of me for having a forearm day but I had to beef up the rest of the forearm to have a good grip

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 11:43 AM
link   
There are many genetic differences between people even though we share the same basic DNA.
You only need to look at the differences between people whose DNA originated either from east or west africa and the difference between the slow & fast twitch muscles. I also have a slight genetic weirdness that only happens to i think about 1/6th of the population and that is if I go from a dark environment to natural sunlight I will sneeze uncontrollably for a few minutes and then be fine. It's handy if you need to get a sneeze out, I just look at a bright light and boom i sneeze.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I just went and fiddled with my wife's wrist cause she is rh neg and she has it.

I am not rh neg, and I have it although mine really sticks out way more than hers or my daughters (she had to check because we were looking lol).

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Corpsehoagie
Im a Physical Therapy student at Penn State. About a year ago I learned about a few obscure muscles that not everyone has. One of them being the palmaris longus. Im the only one in the class that doesn't have them. You can check yourself by looking at your wrist, palm side and flexing your hand toward the ceiling. The thin band that pops out is the tendon to the muscle, some have a harder time than others in finding it. If you play around bending your wrist you'll eventually find it. Google image will help.

The palmaris longus helps you grip things, most of our knowledge of this muscle comes from rhesus monkeys. It's been nicknamed the tree climbing tendon.

Our book says this muscle is absent in about 15% of the population. I couldn't help but make a connection with 15% of the population has rh negative blood. I thought this would have been discussed somewhere but Google search i couldn't find anything. Sorry if a bit vague I'm at work. Any thoughts?

I'll be damn. I don't have it and yes I am RH neg.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Corpsehoagie
reply to post by Ellie Sagan

Im negative yes, when I saw my parents over the holidays neither of them had the tendon, I'm not sure of their blood type. But im googling now and seeing that Scandinavians have a higher rh neg population. Im icelandic on my dads side and norwegian on my moms, well if you trace the names back far enough, growing up I was slovak thats it, but the names suggest other wise. However my dads sibilings have the tendon ha.

Through a genetic disorder Dupuytren's contracture,AKA Vikings claw, I learned I have viking DNA somewhere in my ancestry, perhaps this can add a dimension,

RH factor is most common in Europe and the Basque region
edit on 123030p://bSaturday2014 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I'm A positive and I don't appear to have this muscle. I did a lot of construction work much of my life, a real lot of drilling holes in walls to insulate. I also worked hefting cast iron sinks at Kohler for a while. I worked throwing bundles of hardwood flooring around in a flooring mill also, and made a lot of firewood in my life. I have broken the cartilage at my thumb to hand point three or four times. I used to have an iron grip. I have thick tendons though, having to have carpel tunnel surgery on my right hand. The left was bad but I never had that done, at least I could feel and the pain wasn't that bad in the left. The feeling came back in my right hand after I got the surgery. I wonder if the missing muscle can cause a need for carpel tunnel surgery?

I am sure this difference has a reason for being but in my case there does not seem to be any weakness from it missing. I am mostly dark Finn, I see someone else here said they had Finn in them. I wonder if it the percentage is higher in Finns.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Clasp your hands together (without thinking about it!). Most people place their left thumb on top of their right and this happens to be the dominant phenotype. Now, for fun, try clasping your hands so that the opposite thumb is on top. Feels strange and unnatural, doesn’t it?

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

My right thumb instinctively covers my left, opposite of what you say. I tried putting it the opposite way and it doesn't feel right.

I'm right handed, I don't know why it would be opposite.

I guess I always thought that I'm not normal.
Now I have proof. I could use this as an excuse to eat pizza.
edit on 5-4-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   
according to a web forum someone post this,
Now flex your hand (this means that, palm up, bring your hand towards you). How many tendons do you see? If you see just one, that's the flexor carpi radialis. If you see two, that's the fcr and the palmaris longus. We don't need it. It's a weak muscle that is not useful.

Less and less people have it every generation.

So also RH factor is fairly new I believe

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

I could use this as an excuse to eat pizza

lol

edit on 013030p://bSaturday2014 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 02:37 PM
link   

bigfatfurrytexan
neither my wife or i have it.

I was a champion power lifter. But i have an enormously weak grip given the strength of my body. Perhaps this would explain why?

I think you may be right on Texan.

I only have it in one arm (right), consequently even though I had natural left hand tendencies as a child, I became right handed for all gripping/strength activities. I throw, write, shake, work tools, open bottles with my right hand, while doing everything else with my left (eat, brush teeth, naturally defer, etc.). My right hand has always been stronger and my right forearm (no matter how much extra work/weight I give to my left) has always been larger.

The right hand has always been my "gripper".

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Corpsehoagie

I haven't this muscle and I have negative blood

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   
have a listen to this if you've got a spare 4.5 hours
download mp3

i've just been messing around with mine, there are two.. one seems to connect to the thumb and the other seems to connect to the pinky..
/shrugs

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 03:51 PM
link   

I'm a negative blood type and missing the palmaris longus.

Thanks for the tip. S&F

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by UNIT76

The thumb probably policis longus or brevis. There's so many in the forearm I wrote all of their names in there location on my arm in magic marker last yearjust to remember. I had a forearm sleeve ha

Pinky flexor indiscis
edit on 5-4-2014 by Corpsehoagie because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 04:13 PM
link   
There are a number of ways that the Rhesus factor can manifest in a person: -/-, -/+, +/+, +/-. If their was a connection between rh negativity and the absence of this wrist muscle, I would expect it to be most prevalent in rh -/- people. That is the rares combination.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Rh negative and I have the palmaris longus tendon as well which makes me number 8 reporting in against your hypothesis. There are a couple of rh neg that don't have it and some rh positive that don't have it either. Statistically speaking, those numbers are signifying that there seems to be no correlation between rh factor and palmaris longus presence. Rhesus factor is called that because the factor was first noted in the blood of Rhesus monkeys. Many other animals also have a rh factor such as canines and not just in simians and humans.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by chericher

Alright so sometime in my lifetime I'll shake hands with a thousand rh - and a thousand rh+ and see which group had the stronger shake. Joking aside of the - thousand did they have a noticeable less % of palmaris longus'. Thatd be great if I could do that study

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 04:28 PM
link   
My hubby has it, he's A+.
He's always been stronger than average.
I saw him pick up & carry a railroad tie on his shoulder once,
like it was one of those skinny landscape ties!

I don't have it, I'm O-.
But I'm pretty strong for a girl!

I was always getting yelled at when I was a kid,
for doing things that other kids didn't do.
I remember building a little clubhouse once,
out of the big, old-time, heavy cement blocks.
I was pretty little & was proud of myself for being able to do it!
I got yelled at because I could have 'hurt myself'!

Come to think of it, I climbed trees all the time,
but I never could get up that stupid rope in gym class!!!
Maybe that's why??? Hmmm...
WOQ

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join