It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia declares war on Ukraine. Live updates from inside Ukraine

page: 548
<< 545  546  547    549  550  551 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

If Russia doesn't invade now, then they must find a way out that leaves Ukraine under Russian majority influence and proxy control.

To back out now would be a bitter and humiliating defeat for Putin and Russia, giving into western pressure, and giving up Ukraine to western control and influence.

What other ways out do they have now that could be acceptable to them?
edit on 5-5-2014 by ausername because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Reports on twitter of a 4th chopper down... Not sure if the one erlier today was the 3rd?
edit on 5-5-2014 by ashpack because: (no reason given)

+ Just seeing another tweet about pilots killed although not sure which of the downed choppers they refer to.
edit on 5-5-2014 by ashpack because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 10:28 AM
link   

@PaulaSlier_RT: US under Secretary for Terrorism&Financial Intelligence 'll visit Germany,France &UK 2 discuss “further coordination” & sanctions on #Russia
Sanctions are not working.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: ausername
a reply to: Xcathdra

If Russia doesn't invade now, then they must find a way out that leaves Ukraine under Russian majority influence and proxy control.

To back out now would be a bitter and humiliating defeat for Putin and Russia, giving into western pressure, and giving up Ukraine to western control and influence.

What other ways out do they have now that could be acceptable to them?

Depends on how if Putin can make it look like hes the ultimate diplomat and negotiate between Kiev and eastern Ukraine win win for him. Im thinking thats what hes doing look he offers to negotiate even though he claimed the government was illegitimate. So that in itself is a major flip for Putin because now hes acknowledging they are a legitimate government. The only reason to do this would be for him to find a way out while saving face.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Gas Prices in Kiev, Ukraine

Gasoline (1 liter) $ 1.06

or

Gasoline (1 gallon) $ 4.02

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 10:31 AM
link   

@CustosDivini: #RUMINT: there are reports of a downed the 4th Ukrainian helicopter near #Sloviansk // #Ukraine #Russia

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 10:33 AM
link   
a reply to: BobAthome

That's cheap, I can't remember the last time it was that cheap here in Belgium...

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 10:36 AM
link   
More pretext...

@KiritRadia: #Russia: civilian casualties & "humanitarian catastrophe is brewing in the blockaded cities," food/medicine shortage t.co...

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 10:46 AM
link   
More good news

Razman Kadyrov, the Putin-installed, boy mafia chieftain of Chechnya has pledged support of his paramilitaries to help separatists in Ukraine.

I strongly condemn the actions of the West and their henchmen Ukrainian authorities unleashed punitive operation Slovyansk. We can not sit back and watch when civilians are killed.

I am sure that Russian President and Supreme Commander of the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation Vladimir Putin, according to data by the Council of Federation authority was taking concrete measures to protect civilians in Slavic and other cities of Ukraine.

We at any time waiting for an order of the President of Russia and are ready in a short time to implement it in full.

Wonderful to think that Razman has so much humanitarian concern when numerous international rights organizations rate him as one of the worst abusers of human rights in the world.

edit on 5-5-2014 by ALoveSupreme because: typo as its hard to type on touchscreen with nailsp

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I wouldn't be surprised if we see a repeat of the first Chechen War in Ukraine. Russia were completely embarrassed and were forced to sign a peace treaty with the rebels and withdrew their forces.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Kiev conceals deaths in Odessa fire, 116 killed - Ukrainian lawmaker

The interim Ukrainian authorities are hiding from the public the true death toll in Friday's tragedy in the House of Trade Unions in Odessa, which actually claimed 116 lives, a member of the Odessa regional council told RIA Novosti Monday. "According to our data, there were 116 people killed in the House of Trade Unions in Odessa. Killed, not just "dead". "We don't use the word "burned" or "suffocated", because autopsies are not being performed, since the people have bullet wounds to the head," Vadim Savenko said.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 11:14 AM
link   
What is it, about 45 minutes till 1900 hours in Ukraine??

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: lightedhype

I'd say it 19:18.
edit on Mon0000003112414 by Dutzy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I believe Kyiv is two hours ahead of GMT. So it should be 1924hrs. If Russia do invade I doubt we would hear about it straight away. In my opinion, this is just another "help us" request from the Ukrainian government in the form of 'Russia is going to invade us' rhetoric.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Probably, I really thought Russia would invade after the Odessa thing. But it is looking shaky at this point IMO. If the may 11 referendum comes and passes without a Russian invasion I would say it is safe to say it will not happen...Could always be wrong though.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 11:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: ProfessorT
I wouldn't be surprised if we see a repeat of the first Chechen War in Ukraine. Russia were completely embarrassed and were forced to sign a peace treaty with the rebels and withdrew their forces.

I think you give the Chechen separatists too much credit for what they achieved.

In fact Chechnya is now a satellite regime of Russia with Razman Kadyrov serving entirely at the pleasure of Putin. GRU and MVD completely support his power structure providing arms and training to his paramilitary forces, the Kadyrovtsy.

All significant militant separatist leaders (Islamist) have been assassinated or killed, most recently Doku Umarov.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Euromaidan PR ‏@EuromaidanPR · 23m
72,8% of #Donetsk, 70,1% of #Lugansk region ppl support #Ukraine's territorial integrity- results of the weekend's opinion poll. unian |EMPR

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   
You have to understand that if the Ukrainian Interior Ministry claims today are correct -- that a large contingent of Chechens are already fighting alongside separatists in Ukraine -- this is an enormous and dangerous escalation.

It would mean that they are either Kadyrovtsy or Tsentr-Alfa mercenaries (the latter also heavily recruits from pro-Russian Chechens) and that Putin has once again found a way to send significant guerrilla forces into Ukraine without officially invading.

edit on 5-5-2014 by ALoveSupreme because: typo as its hard to type on touchscreen with nails

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: ALoveSupreme

Well, there is this tweet posted about 20 min ago:

Ukraine Reporter @StateOfUkraine
According to 2 sources (so far) #Russia has established smuggling routes into #Ukraine for arms/experienced foreign fighters (inc. Chechens)

Granted, not all info from that user has been accurate.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Did I miss the invasion?

top topics

<< 545  546  547    549  550  551 >>

join