It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia declares war on Ukraine. Live updates from inside Ukraine

page: 551
<< 548  549  550    552  553  554 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Closed for a few minutes to allow members to take a breath and QUIT the bickering.......

Listen up!!!!!

Now that I have your attention......
This is your final warning.
Post bans WILL be given to members who cannot stay on topic.
This thread will not further devolve into bickering, baiting and trolling.

Plenty of reminders have been given.
The next step is a post ban, possibly for up to 72 hours.
Please think before you post.

You are responsible for your own posts.

Don't Respond to Obvious Trollery, Just Alert It

I Don't Agree with YOU...

How Not To Be Banned From ATS...Or, A Word About Politeness.

edit on Mon May 5 2014 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

Do not reply to this post.
edit on Mon May 5 2014 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 01:27 PM
link   

@frasereC4: . @AndersFoghR tells #c4news 40,000 Russian troops on Ukraine border in readiness to invade.

edit on 5-5-2014 by ProfessorT because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 01:34 PM
link   
you see, on one hand you have by law robbing people legit act. It is by law. Hardly you can change anything without raw revolt.

On the other hand, the country that has 'corruption' still has a leeway to change that.

Now compare, the law and the chance. Where the corruption and looting is legal and the place where it is not legal.

The difference, my friend, is that corruption can be resisted more easily than where same corruption written into law.

[SNIPPED]

awake) cheers)
edit on Mon May 5 2014 by DontTreadOnMe because: We expect civility and decorum within all topics.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   

euronews ‏@euronews · 1m
Dead and wounded after heavy clashes in Slovyansk eurone.ws...

Some humor -

EU Crimean Tatar ‏@CrimeaEU · 1m
New Ukrainian-Russian dictionary: a must item to be used while watching the news channels. pic.twitter.com/d7jfaxWzJm

edit on 5-5-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 01:39 PM
link   

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 01:40 PM
link   

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Russia has suspended its bilateral agreement with Lithuania over weapons inspections. This agreement has been held between the two countries since 2001. In my opinion this is quite worrying and tells you a lot about Vladimir Putin's long term aims.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 01:50 PM
link   

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 01:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: ProfessorT
Russia has suspended its bilateral agreement with Lithuania over weapons inspections. This agreement has been held between the two countries since 2001. In my opinion this is quite worrying and tells you a lot about Vladimir Putin's long term aims.

That's interesting.

Russian troop deployment on Ukraine's eastern border allows Russia to enter Ukraine from 3 distinct areas. It also allows for those forces to drive towards each other for a link up while allowing all 3 sides flank protection.

If Russia takes the East and South, it will link with Transnistria.

Lithuania is the smaller of the 2 NATO countries (Poland is the other). A military maneuver through Lithuania would create a link to Kaliningrad.

The other concern is the implications of Russia's move. Its starting to appear as if Putin is prepositioning units for something larger than Ukraine. The unit positions are screaming offensive and not defensive.

There is also a sizable "Ethnic Russian" population present there and Russia has made some aggressive comments in the past towards the Baltic nations.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: ProfessorT

But why now? Honestly it doesn't make any sense? Russia almost cleared its name as former USSR in the economy. A week or so before the whole Ukraine thing I was watching those show about how more and more enterprises where looking towards Moscow because of the economic boom that was happening there.

Putin has spend alot of time showing the world another side of Russia.

It just seems odd to throw that all away in such a reckless act.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 02:03 PM
link   

@ukraineinfowar: #Lugansk govenor Valery Bolotov, has ordered to hold a referendum on the region’s status on May 11.
So it's ok for illegitimate referendums to go ahead but Putin wants the election to be cancelled?

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 02:07 PM
link   
a reply to: MessageforAll

Is there a possibility that the other face of Russia shown to the rest of the world was nothing more than a ruse, trying to get others to let their guard down ?

Also, Putin, as well as others in his entourage, advisers and others close to him, are former siloviki, employees of the USSR power structures, intelligence services, army commanders and so on, that on many ocasions have stated their opinions very negative towards the break-up of the USSR.

I remember reading a few weeks ago that certain members in the Russian State Duma wanted to start a prosecutors investigation of Gorbachev for the break-up of the USSR (will post link when I find it).

And with this law passed at the end of April, that states that the official version of the USSR's actions in WW2 and after is not to be disseminated, under criminal charges if this is done, lead to a very grim picture, a possible resurgence of USSR 2.0.

eng.kremlin.ru...

LE: The article I mentioned about Gorbachev, it is in Romanian but google translate does a decent job:
adevarul.ro... /index.html

Also, keep in mind that Gorbachev opposed the Crimean reunification with Russia.
edit on Mon0000003112414 by Dutzy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Dutzy

Is there a possibility that the other face of Russia shown to the rest of the world was nothing more than a ruse, trying to get others to let their guard down ?

In this day and age? I highly doubt that tbh, Russia is making serious money with their GAS monopoly over Europe. Why risk that? For a lot more mouths to feed? ( annexed country's).

If you think about it, Putin is a master chess player, every outcome would be the same, bad for Russia. No smart person could see a war scenario end well.

Seems like such an odd thing to do given Russia's position.

Then I again I could be dead wrong, there's no shame in being wrong

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: MessageforAll

I don't think this is about Russia and I think it has everything to do with Putin.

I really do think this is nothing more than a vanity exercise by Putin in an effort to "force" nations to show him respect. That's why the military moves, imo, are trouble.

He has Crimea and as more and more information comes it, not to mention Putin's own admission the non insignia people were Russian military, its becoming evident he has been busy behind the scenes. Since he has been "caught" red handed the question asked is - do I go all in or fold and go home.

If the vanity/respect issue is the issue, then he goes all in, fully committed to the possibility of prolonged combat with the mindset of win or lose - no middle ground.

If he goes home then he will have massive issues inside Russia. The Russian people, if we are to believe their polling info, love Putin because of his actions in Crimea. Will the people look at him in the same manner if he gives up, cuts his losses and goes home?

Remember he is former KGB and as President / Prime Minister he has gone after his rivals. That is a 2 way road and Putin knows that. People will use it against Putin.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: ProfessorT

@ukraineinfowar: #Lugansk govenor Valery Bolotov, has ordered to hold a referendum on the region’s status on May 11.
So it's ok for illegitimate referendums to go ahead but Putin wants the election to be cancelled?

He wants the elections canceled to allow for more time to the groups in the South / East of Ukraine. The closer we get to May 11th the more violence and escalation we will see - sadly.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

Canceled would be an option.
Another might be not holding the elections in the Eastern regions, while holding them in the other regions, adding further strength to Russia's claims of ilegitimacy towards the Ukraine government.

Another date to pay close attention to is the 9th May, Victory day against Nazi Germany in WW2, major celebration in former USSR countries, where WW2 is called the Great Patriotic War.
edit on Monu3112414 by Dutzy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   
As usual and interestingly enough this hasn't being posted here yet.
But Reuters still dont know who set fire to TU building in Odessa.
Art of omission as always when facts dont fit agenda.

Reuters Source

Over 40 people were killed in Friday's clashes, the worst since pro-Moscow president Viktor Yanukovich fled to Moscow in February amid protests by Ukrainians demanding closer ties to Europe.

Most were pro-Russians killed when the building they occupied was set ablaze by petrol bombs. It is not clear who started the fire, but Moscow accuses Kiev of inciting violence.

On Sunday, hundreds besieged a police station where fellow pro-Moscow activists were held after street fighting that led up to the house blaze. Police freed 67 of them, infuriating Kiev. "The police in Odessa acted outrageously," Interior Minister Arseny Avakov wrote on his Facebook page. "The 'honour of the uniform' will offer no cover."

It is not clear who started the fire, but Moscow accuses Kiev of inciting violence.
The Western Mainstream News outlets know what occurred but they will never show you the videos nor the truth. They are spinning it for there own causes.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Thrown what away? Russia is still there. Still the largest country on Planet Earth by a mile. If it throws away economic relations with Europe, then why would Russia care? Europe is dead on its feet, a group of pensioner nations, the land of yesterday, truth is it doesn't count any more. Russia will turn east, where all the people live, economies surge and where the future lies. Putin knows there's little to lose regarding old dying Europe

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: ufoorbhunter
Thrown what away? Russia is still there. Still the largest country on Planet Earth by a mile. If it throws away economic relations with Europe, then why would Russia care? Europe is dead on its feet, a group of pensioner nations, the land of yesterday, truth is it doesn't count any more. Russia will turn east, where all the people live, economies surge and where the future lies. Putin knows there's little to lose regarding old dying Europe

Well stated.

Europe is dead on its feet

Look at Western Europe and the mass unemployment rates still rise what makes some believe that the EU will ever rover even if it does do the Europeans themselves want to live in a single entity that would be Europe? an Europe would be an empire which wont last very long.

new topics

top topics

<< 548  549  550    552  553  554 >>

join