It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Human-Sized Salamander That Smells Like Pepper

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+16 more 
posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 12:04 AM
link   

wired
In the rivers of China and Japan dwells a salamander so huge that it positively dwarfs its American cousin, the massive 2.5-foot “snot otter” (which, as it happens, is what they called me in high school). This is the giant salamander, a remarkable human-sized amphibian that has remained almost unchanged for millions of years, hiding on river bottoms and hoovering up fish into its gaping maw. It smells like pepper, it’s astonishingly quick, and it makes noises that sound a bit like a child. A really funny-looking child.

The giant salamander smells like pepper, it’s astonishingly quick, and it makes noises that sound a bit like a child. A really funny-looking child.

There are actually two species of giant salamander, one in China, which can clock in at 6 feet, and a smaller version in Japan, which grows to 5 feet. But how can an amphibian that typically fits in the palm of your hand get so astoundingly large? By being a big baby.

“They’re what we call neotenic animals,” said evolutionary biologist David Wake of the University of California, Berkeley. These creatures often grow huge because they don’t become sexually mature until they get very large.

“So what happens is that as they grow bigger and bigger and bigger, they approach more and more what you would consider to be a perfect stage, a full adult stage. But they never really get there,” said Wake.

-

This critter has been around almost 20 million years.
It’s no wonder Japan has so many tales of strange creatures. How would you like to be siting by a river bank when a 5 ft. salamander comes out of it burrow to search for food. Don’t hang your toes in the water. Hell I am from Florida I don’t do that anyway.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 12:08 AM
link   
He's TOUCHING IT!!! Nooooo...

It smells like pepper? The animals that reside on this planet of ours never cease to amaze me. Really. We still find new animals and insects all the time so the imagination runs wild at what is left out there for this man to find and HOLD (ick).

Thanks for sharing! S&F
edit on 10/25/2013 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Grimpachi
[SNIP]

In the photo...just WHERE is that man's HAND going?
I see knuckles and that's about it...
Creeeeeeepyyyy!!!!!
I think I'll print out an 8x10 of it and hang it in my house...tell everyone that's Uncle Albert...they don't let him touch big salamanders anymore...
edit on 25-10-2013 by Gemwolf because: Removed large quote

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Living Dinosaur!!

I wonder why the creature isn't smarter after millions of years?...

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

Lol I know right. When this popped up when I was looking around the title just made go WHA-WHAT!!!!!!

I had a major surgery recently so I have been so damn bored but I have learned a lot of semi useless information from cruising the internet.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

What weird creatures....
I think I was traumatized as a child when I grabbed a small salamander and its tail came off in my hand. They have all sorts of tricks for surviving. Another being that they taste horrible to predators.

edit on 10/25/2013 by ItCameFromOuterSpace because: (no reason given)

edit on 10/25/2013 by ItCameFromOuterSpace because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 12:26 AM
link   
WOW look at the size of that thing!
Fascinating! And they have been around before the dinosaurs? Always something new. Thanks for sharing!!!!

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 12:44 AM
link   
I think they're really cute and would absolutely love to have a huge Koi pond with a couple bobbing about like squishy pepper smelling alligators to gobble up smaller bait fishes and minnows.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by the owlbear

LOL literally.
That was the first thing I noticed when I saw the picture too. I thought hey.... where'd the rest of your hand go?
I am glad I wasn't the only one!

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Although I disagree with the evolution part of the story, that is quite and interesting specimen and I agree with the "where is that guys hand at" question.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 01:02 AM
link   

edit on 25-10-2013 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

Full disclosure, I saw the pic in the OP and yelled photoshop. I was calling shenanigans. I was very wrong. Everyone that sees this post is allowed to whip me five times with a feather. Or wet noodle as long as no wet noodle innuendos crop up.
edit on 25-10-2013 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

I've screwed up too so ...carry on.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

To err is human.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 01:33 AM
link   
I'm not sure if it was the exact same species or the slightly smaller (5') one, but the guy on River Monsters investigated these in Japan on an episode. Apparently there are local legends of children being drowned by these salamanders. They are extremely territorial and will bite when disturbed. They also have the ability to wedge themselves between rocks underwater and he theorized that it was very possible that a small child could be grabbed by a limb and be unable to get away from the salamander.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 03:06 AM
link   
WOAH!

Would love to see these beasts live! Fantastic! S&F, because AWESOME!

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 03:49 AM
link   
HAhaha, I loléd at your comments about where his hand goes
Funny stuff. I didnt notice that before you wrote it. I think he is holding the lizards leg with his hand and is wrapping his fingers around the leg.

What an amazing creature. Think if you had one of these as a best buddy instead of a dog or cat.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 03:56 AM
link   

You're getting a star and flag for the title alone! That is my all time favourite title for anything, ever.
Scary beast, though. Imagine seeing that creeping slowly towards you, wafting its peppery stench, meeping like a child???
Thanks for the laugh/nightmares!

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 04:41 AM
link   
wow that's really the kind of thing that makes me happy I wasn't born a saussage...
impaled on a stick (with no respect of my anal dignity) and fed to a giant snot. Computer says no.
edit on 25-10-2013 by Logiciel because: more fun

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 07:06 AM
link   

I would absolutely love to use one of those for bait..i think it would be quite effective in a deep sea situation..drop it down the marianas trench..and wait...yea, id had an idea to put an elephant on oxygen wrapped in a fine wire mesh and drop him in...but the snot otter would probably drive the big boys nuts if you know what im sayin...awesome find. thanks

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Mud puppies on New River get that big. I have seen them. Those are not the only huge salamanders in the world.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join