It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Schools Sending 'Fat Letters' To Parents About Overweight Children

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrJohnSmith
reply to post by xuenchen

Quite likely the parents are " Fatties " too, and need a kick up the backside from the school, to make them think about their children's, if not their own health too....it is part of education.

The bold part got me.

While parents can bring their kids up however they wish: who better to advise how to bring them up happy and healthy than the child care and education professionals?

The more i think about it the more it makes sense! This isnt an attack on parents, its an attack on badly educated people - for the good of their own children no less!

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
reply to post by SearchLightsInc

Perhaps some people forget that the brain is a muscle and to keep it healthy you have to eat a balanced diet and exercise.

So are all people that are not at optimum body weight are stupid?

That's honestly what you got out of that?
. Jesus, obviously public schools need to be sending home educational letters on more topics than just body weight.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I doubt very much if any of these parents are unaware of their child's obesity making a letter necessary. At my job I get to see a lot of kids of all ages as patients and I can assure you that fat kids ALWAYS are the result of at least one more often two fat parents. I don't get to follow these families home, but I speculate that metabolic disorders are ultra-rare as a cause of fatness. Much more commonly its generational poor eating habits. Oh mom's having an entire box of donuts for lunch? Little Sally/Johnny will too.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Soooo can parents send a letter to the fat teachers, and tell them to join the real world and get rid of the fat immediately..... oh and dont hide it under their desk....... this letter business is so hurtful to those children that are overweight for their age, (and who determines how heavy you should be at 3'-6" or whatever height it may be) some other super skinny boney numbskull no doubt.... even so this is a personal and hurtful thing to make children aware of at such a young age,,, it will destroy their sefl esteem... and I teach so I know whatever others migh say.. just plain disgusting and should be banned immediately... and whoever thought it up should be questioned and cautioned and kicked in the pants.... bonehead

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I have a plan....

How about we allow FAT kids turn into FAT adults.

We need to grant FAT kids the right to turn into the FAT adults they always wanted to become.

After all, FAT kids have every right to turn into FAT adults.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by flipflop

Neglecting your own safety and health is not a crime.

Letting your kids starve or feeding them till they pop at 16 years old is/should be.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I don't get this.

Has christian-bashing become passe'?

Now it's hate on the fatty-fats?

One poster alluded that I was obese because I oppose these kinds of letters.

I guess with that kind of logic;
I must be gay because I support gay marriage
I must be a terrorist because I'm a veteran with an American flag.

Hatin' on fat people.

A sad sign of society.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Young girls and boys have been dealing with anorexia and bulimia because of poor body image, every student must be evaluated on an individual bases.

Plus I know heavy people that exercise and thin that never exercise, there are heavy people that eat well, their just predisposition to be heavy, they are big people and it can be hereditary.

I remember the fear of bring a bad grade home, I can't imagine as a child having to deal with the humiliation by your peers, and your teachers, and school administration over your appearance.

You guys go ahead and justify it, one day it will be an issue that affects you, as the nanny state pries into ever aspect of your lives.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by flipflop

Well, I bitched about a few fat police police officers and saw results!!!! How is a fat police officer sitting outside of the school gonna run to save a childs life? He isn't. My community is really involved in healthy sustainable eating. Most fatties that we see are tourists and they have no shame in being obese. Why? Because they see obesity ALL of the time. It's normal today.

I am sick of the ole "it's genetic" excuse. It is NOT genetic my friends. If it is, it would be a rare thyroid condition.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Honor93
many good points have been discussed but one GLARING issue hasn't even been addressed, so i will.

yes, these letters are RIDICULOUS unless they are being sent to the drug companies and drs who are pumping our children full of poison by names like Adderal, Ritilin, Concerta, Straterra, Paxil, Prozac, Zoloft and a plethora of others that are being given to children as young as 3 & 4 yrs old.

since one of the most obvious side-effects of all of them is 'weight-gain' ... what did we expect after administering this poison for years ?? by the time these children are 14, they don't stand a chance of being a 'normal' weight.

and i don't care what good foods you feed them, the damage is already done and long lasting.
letters won't change a dang thing except our deficit balance.

amen honor, point I was trying to make.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by stormdancer777

Stormdancer, being a country chunk and obese are quite different. We all know what obesity is. Big boned is not obese. Healthy and bigger is not obese. Again, obesity is blatant.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by sk0rpi0n

....As long as the fat kids are educated to understand the health consequences of becoming fat adults, I would suggest politely ?

That way, they have exercised their right to become fat adults, they made a choice after being made aware of the health risks of becoming fat adults.....

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by HomerinNC
You also are aware healthy nutritious foods are MORE expensive then the crap laden junk foods?
I actually did a comparison once, one month I bought frozen pre prepared foods, cost me like $110.00 to eat for the month, the next month, I bought the SAME EXACT products, but this time I bought fresh raw materials to make my meals, it cost me $250.00!!!!
Not only that, it didn't LAST the whole month!
When they start lowering prices on the good foods and raise prices on the junk, more people will start buying the fresh fods

I was shocked when I saw the horrible things the school was feeding my kids, I was raised on good old fashioned home cooking nothing prepackaged, that is how I cook and none of my kids are overweight.

MY son and his dad are junk food junkies they are thin, I am vegetarian who constantly watches my weight and I am the pleasingly plump one.

But then I am on medication that cause weight gain so it is a struggle,

People don't question why you are overweight they just judge you.

My husband has high blood-pressure and cholesterol, I do not, he had a heart attack at forty two,

we are all going to die.
edit on 103030p://bFriday2013 by stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

edit on 103030p://bFriday2013 by stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by MrJohnSmith

Exactly.

Fat (and i mean FAT fat, not just above BMI a little) means shorter life span, higher risk of many diseases not to mention daily life impact of being psychically larger and heavier than a healthy person.

Would you buy a house right next to a nuclear power plant, a rail way, the sea a river and a fracking plant? No but if you did you would know the risks, or if you didnt perhaps you would have liked a heads up?

"Hey kids, smoking is bad says the government, but i smoke so i dont mind if you do as soon as you can operate your first lighter" - this is ok too?

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I don't see what the big deal is here. It's just a letter. Do you flip out when some insurance company sends you some mass mailer trying to get you to switch to their insurance? No you just throw it away. Same here, it's just a letter telling you that your child is most likely unhealthy and (most likely) here is a few steps you can pursue to correct that. If you don't agree with the letter, than just throw the letter away. It's not like the police are kicking down your door, arresting you, and putting your child into protective services because your kid is the size of a whale.

I can't believe that people would find it offensive to be told that they are raising their kids in an unhealthy lifestyle. It's like the PC idiot crowd somehow got mixed with crazy right against government control. The way this article reads its like "Who are YOU to tell me that my child is fat! That's offensive!" PC crowd...
Then you got the others who are basically saying that this letter is one step away from the gestapo state
There was one poster who was even suggested that he'd assault (a crime by the way, unlike having an unhealthy child) the people who sent him this letter if he received it. Dang, are you sure YOU aren't still in grade school... You people need to grow up, learn to take some constructive criticism (even if it does originate from the state) and move on with your lives. One thing that always holds true about constructive criticism is that YOU DON'T HAVE TO LISTEN TO IT!
edit on 6-9-2013 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by stormdancer777

You have to burn off your calories. You as a vegetarian, do you eat a lot of cheese, butter, and processed oils? A cheese pizza is loaded with fat and calories. Just because you are a vegetarian, doesn't mean you are eating healthy. The only reason you gain weight is because you do not burn off the calories take in. If it is the medication causing you to be lethargic, you have to pick it up a notch. If the medication is making you retain water, you have to cut out the sodium in your diet.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Do you know what the brain actually burns?

Glucose.

The human body converts other foods into glucose for the brain to use. People on zero carb diets don't have their brain shut down, the body has the ability to convert protein into glucose.

The thread is about schools sending letters to parents concerning the body weight of their child. You connected the foods that are eaten and exercise with the proper operation of the brain.

Hawking doesn't get any physical exercise to speak of, so physical exercise is not necessary to brain function.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

MY grandmother and grandfather were Austrian, she was a big women.

She would be considered fat in today's terms I guess, she was six foot tall and good sized women.

I was raised in the German Polish section of town I remember what size these people were.

They were not skinny.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by LightOrange

Originally posted by butcherguy

Perhaps some people forget that the brain is a muscle and to keep it healthy you have to eat a balanced diet and exercise.

So are all people that are not at optimum body weight are stupid?

That's honestly what you got out of that?
. Jesus, obviously public schools need to be sending home educational letters on more topics than just body weight.

You might want to read the OP.
It is about obesity.
The poster tied it with brain function.... if you read the post.
Do you want to explain what the poster was getting at?

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

Good points, Bligs. Plus here in the U.K. Our N.H.S. has to bear the brunt of the health problems of an increasingly overweight population.

I guess this doesn't apply in the good 'ole U.S. of A, as you probably wouldn't get any free healthcare, as a result of illnesses brought on by being overweight ?

....Unless someone can educate me otherwise ?

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join