It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Schools Sending 'Fat Letters' To Parents About Overweight Children

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 02:00 AM
link   
many good points have been discussed but one GLARING issue hasn't even been addressed, so i will.

yes, these letters are RIDICULOUS unless they are being sent to the drug companies and drs who are pumping our children full of poison by names like Adderal, Ritilin, Concerta, Straterra, Paxil, Prozac, Zoloft and a plethora of others that are being given to children as young as 3 & 4 yrs old.

since one of the most obvious side-effects of all of them is 'weight-gain' ... what did we expect after administering this poison for years ?? by the time these children are 14, they don't stand a chance of being a 'normal' weight.

and i don't care what good foods you feed them, the damage is already done and long lasting.
letters won't change a dang thing except our deficit balance.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 02:02 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

So, you are saying that in the last 60 years people cannot all of a sudden raise their own food? This is false. They just have to be taught. That is all.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Also, not sure if you know this, but people on food stamps can buy food producing seeds with their EBT card. A program teaching people how to get back the control of their food would be nice. If the government allows them to purchase seed, I would LOVE to see a recipient purchase thousands of seed on their EBT card and raise their own food and sell off the excess LOLOL. You would like that wouldn't you????

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 02:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

And guess who supports and administers all THAT.....

Yep.

'Educated' people.

That stuff has been around and been abused for many years.

I wonder how many dieticians and teachers and even doctors were victims themselves.

Problems sometimes have a way of breeding.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hollie

So, you are saying that in the last 60 years people cannot all of a sudden raise their own food? This is false. They just have to be taught. That is all.

AND, have a place to do it.

Impossible in today's city environments.

many rental leases prohibit.

guess again.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 02:09 AM
link   

Also, not sure if you know this, but people on food stamps can buy food producing seeds with their EBT card. A program teaching people how to get back the control of their food would be nice. If the government allows them to purchase seed, I would LOVE to see a recipient purchase thousands of seed on their EBT card and raise their own food and sell off the excess LOLOL. You would like that wouldn't you????

Sure they can.

But not in a big inner city.

Stores don't sell seeds around those parts.

Try again.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 02:11 AM
link   

This is also false. you can raise food ANYWHERE. Inside, outside, vertically, horizontally, in the air without soil, in a fish tank with water, on a patio in pots, across the street, in your garage. People do this all over the world in super small spaces and in crammed slummy cities. Animals too. rabbits, quail, fish, etc. You just have never done it because you are a victim of the system is all.
edit on 6-9-2013 by Hollie because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Yes they do. Every dollar store, wal-mart sells seeds. Both of those stores accept EBT. AND don't even tell me a wal-mart isn't in your big city. I know better.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 02:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Hollie

got a source to back up your statement ??

but people on food stamps can buy food producing seeds with their EBT card
i've never heard of 'seeds' (packaged) being permitted.

however, you are correct that ppl need to learn how to re-generate the seeded foods they do buy.
how many have cut a brown spot off a potato and tossed it in the garbage rather a glass a water ?

don't know about y'all but i am not too proud to get a charity basket/box and when i went recently, i brought home all of these nearly fresh veges: bib, leaf & red lettuce, lemon, broccoli, leeks, apples, plums, nectaries, beets, eggplant, parsley, watermelon, cassaba (squash), cherries, corn on the cob, carrots, bok choy & tomato ... bakery fresh italian, rye, croissants & danish.

a dozen & half eggs from the neighbor (for sharing the excess) at no charge and milk here is $2.99/gal.
ppl who want to eat well, do ... regardless of finances.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 02:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

yes hold on i will get it real quick
Gimme a sec

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 02:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

www.fns.usda.gov...
Sixth sentence down. Right on .gov site. A lot of people do not know, and there are even links to establish a SNAP garden!

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 02:21 AM
link   

yes, they do have a monopoly, don't they ?

as for city dwellers and restrictions, i'm not familiar but i'm told aquaponics has come a long way.
might be something for many to look into as last i checked a fish tank is an 'acceptable' pet

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 02:24 AM
link   
It's not expensive to eat healthily. Learn how to cook. Realize you don't need to have meat and cheese for every meal. Utilize sales. Don't base your diet solely on what tastes delicious (don't look to be comforted by food, shoot for nutritional value instead). Don't eat more than you need to. It is as simple as it sounds.

You're an embarrassment. Complete failure to get even a single point across. You should probably just leave.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 02:24 AM
link   

Yes they do. Every dollar store, wal-mart sells seeds. Both of those stores accept EBT. AND don't even tell me a wal-mart isn't in your big city. I know better.

OK I won't tell you.

But the inner cities don't have the seeds.

And many rental leases prohibit.

Facts of life.

Big city, but not much in the 'inner city'....

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 02:25 AM
link   

What is an inner city? Is Miami an inner city? Detroit? What? I know Detroit has a major SNAP garden program there.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 02:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Hollie

thanks for the link, i'll give it a read because alot of the ppl i know would argue till they're blue in the face that it just isn't allowed.

heck, down here, you'll find 'vege stands' (stand-alone vegetable market) that will refuse to accept EBT if you are an American (not hispanic).
don't misunderstand, they don't tell you they're refusing, they just insist the machine broke after accepting one from the hispanic customer in front of you

the 2nd time it happened to a friend of mine, she dumped her basket on the counter and never went back. i won't shop there, at all.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 02:28 AM
link   

So you have seen a lease that says specifically that you cannot grow your own food? Dude, you are making excuses at this point. You are a victim and want to play victim. If that's the case, I cannot help you. But if you want some sense of sustainability, I can help you. Otherwise, I just don;t know what to tell you. You should see the progress here. People are actually waking up, getting together as a community and growing out of junk that is laying around. Poor people. Dirt poor people. Slums!

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 02:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

Yeap! I know what they are doing, and they are cheating the system too! Likely related too! Not trying to come off as anti this or that, but I am not retarded. I know what's up with those food stands and all their relatives there with their cards LOLOL.

But yea, wal-mart and dollar store both accept EBT. They both have seeds as well! Imagine growing a whole garden with EBT, selling the leftovers, and starting a little money maker so that you wouldn't even need EBT!
That would be REALLY getting off the system in a good productive way. I think anyways.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 02:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Hollie

hmmm, i'm gonna have to print that and share, thanks again

i know an awful lot of ppl who would but don't believe they're 'allowed'.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 02:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

Hahah most of the ones I know are too lazy or would rather not bother. Then there are the ones that simply claim they cant have potted plants/veggies, or don't have room. I mean really, I will find some pics that I ran across of the SLUMS in these tiny shacks growing food in plant and animal form.
EBT can really be used to actually benefit, and become sustainable for recipient. To which it is meant for!
Anyway, good luck!

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join