It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Schools Sending 'Fat Letters' To Parents About Overweight Children

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

Originally posted by LightOrange

Originally posted by Biigs

Once again this is about NOTIFICATION not action

No.

It is about determining what the societal norm should be. It is about pushing an artificial standard that the state dictates.

It's not an artificial standard. It's a natural standard that the human body has for healthy living.

You probably just need a little Jillian Michaels kick-in-the-butt yourself.
edit on 6-9-2013 by LightOrange because: (no reason given)

Who dictcates and determines the natural standard?

Oh yeah, THE STATE!

No. Science does.

You are so far divorced from reality I think you need to stop being a keyboard warrior and go experience the outdoors for a bit.

I suggest a little cardio.

Maybe some strength training tomorrow.

Switch from white to rye.

Oh look at me I must be "The State" since I'm informing you how to revert your body from it's unnatural state.

Damn commies and their flax.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 07:22 AM
link   
While everyone has the right to live how they want and to raise their children the way they want.

How about a scheme of opting out of school "suggestions", id think most would like to hear any suggestions and chose to ignore it rather than never be told in the first place.

Its not, i agree you are right to say that its not for the school to do anything about it, but you suspect that allowing schools to send health wanting notes home is a gateway to being told you MUST and HOW in the future that i disagree with.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Wow people pissed off that school is concerned about their weight? lol

You know what, keep your little bugger fat, telling them whats on the inside that counts and later in life he will realized how he is ostracized, depressed and struggle to lose the weight, which at the point is hard because of bad eating habits, ending up hanging from a noose from bullying.

Start early folks, get rid of the American stereotype.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

The schools tell unsuspecting parents that their child/children need medication because of ADHD, ADD etc. And we comply. And look at what we have. A generation or more of children with altered brain chemestry's from neuropsychotropic drugs!

But we had to "listen" to the school, because the school knows best, right?

Now they get to tell you about BMI and weight loss. A bad parent, a good parent, it is not up to the state to determine or even "suggest".

It is developing a pattern of having the authority (who knows more
) tell you how to raise your kid(s), how to treat them, and it concerns me that so many are defending this.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 07:40 AM
link   

reply to post by Biigs

The schools tell unsuspecting parents that their child/children need medication because of ADHD, ADD etc. And we comply. And look at what we have. A generation or more of children with altered brain chemestry's from neuropsychotropic drugs!

But we had to "listen" to the school, because the school knows best, right?

Now they get to tell you about BMI and weight loss. A bad parent, a good parent, it is not up to the state to determine or even "suggest".

It is developing a pattern of having the authority (who knows more
) tell you how to raise your kid(s), how to treat them, and it concerns me that so many are defending this.

Well it's really easy to defend it when people like you sound so crazy trying to lambast it as if it's a communist takeover.

Listen to what you're even comparing it to now.

If the letters said "Your kid is fat; TRY LYPOZENE RISK FREE 30 DAYS", then I'd be concerned.

But I'm almost certain they just go on some rhetoric about proper diet and physical activity.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Wow, some of these replies!! I find it perfectly ok that the school is letting them know "Hey your child is getting fat." Some people just don't seem to realize it, cause "Its their child, and their child is perfect." I use to be overweight myself as a child. Went from 327 to 203, and let me tell you from personal experience, its a lot better to be on the lighter side of the weight scale. Idc if you say its ok to be fat, no you don't want to be "fat". You just want to make excuses to not loose the weight. Its a very small percentage of people who have "medical" issues as to why they are overweight, and most of the "medical issues" they seem to have now are FROM being overweight. Not the cause. GET OFF YOUR LAZY BUTTS, AND EXERCISE WITH YOUR KIDS. This is nothing but a loving message coming from your fellow ex-fat person.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by LightOrange

You may enjoy having those pesky life-style choices taken up by government/central authority but I still have a right to self determine regardless of what the nanny-state crowd wants.

Great. Then self-determine.

Die early, leave your kids and family alone.

No biggy.

You're a real man.

Can I pour you another cup of "bitter" Capt. Angry?

Appreciate the thought that you won't interfere with my life.

You'll just insult it.

Angry?

Are you insulted?

Geeze louise, Beez. Enough with the political correctness
edit on 6-9-2013 by LightOrange because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99

sk0rpi0n
IMO, there is nothing wrong with schools reminding parents to get their kids in shape. Might seem harsh, but its for the better.

Unless of course, the parents prefer that their overweight kids learn later, the hard way.

I think all people who have eyes in their heads in the family already know, and are dealing with the isssues and low self esteem.

The school is there to teach, end of issue.

Not to bully, not to bring up someone's conditions or physical attributes whatsoever.

That is extreme abuse.

Well said.
Maybe if test scores were higher, people wouldn't mind the schools being concerned about the health of the students.
The schools should concentrate on their primary purpose until they learn how to accomplish that objective.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Perhaps some people forget that the brain is a muscle and to keep it healthy you have to eat a balanced diet and exercise. Kids don't understand that which is why its the responsibility of the parents to ensure their child's best interest's are being cared for.

Unfortuently there are parents out there who dont quite understand the needs of a proper diet and exercise for children. I wonder if some of them even know that by feeding their children fat/processed sh!t with very little nutritional value, their setting their own children up for a life of health problems.

It could just be, a letter home to the child's parents might wipe away years of suffering medical issues caused by poor diet/lifestyle.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 08:09 AM
link   
So at what point after receiving letter/s should proper authority's step in an take parents off to a re-education camp or should they just come in and take child to live in a safer environment

Sounds as if the only way a kid can't be born is to be fat.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by MajorAce

No, Educated the retarded parents on proper nutrients instead of 24/7 McDonalds.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

I am definitely not opposed to having a school send me a letter letting me know that my daughter is overweight. She isn't, so it's not something I have to concern myself over. But you never know, maybe one day I'll totally overlook my daughters weight, and getting a letter would definitely open my eyes and motivate me to make some changes.

We blame the processed "fake" food we eat, and I'll agree to an extent. But how many times have you seen an obese child at McDonald's chowing down on cheeseburger after cheeseburger? You can eat healthy and still become obese should you eat obsessively.

I suppose my point is, it's just as much as the parents fault as it is the foods.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by SearchLightsInc

Perhaps some people forget that the brain is a muscle and to keep it healthy you have to eat a balanced diet and exercise.

So are all people that are not at optimum body weight are stupid?

As far as exercise is concerned, how does that brain of Stephen Hawking function at all? (If you meant 'exercise' as in thinking, then weight has nothing to do with how your brain works.)

edit on 6-9-2013 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

She did not say that.

She meant your brain muscle gets energy from the food you consume.

You become what you eat.

Edit: im sure Stephen Hawkins eats healthy food, and does not stuff himself with McDonald's and Burger King. It shows, he is not fat.
edit on 9/6/2013 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 08:45 AM
link   
The school is only looking out for the kids because someone has to, the parents are sitting them infront of tv's and video games feeding them junk food. It's not healthy for children to be over weight and will lead to alot of health problems in the future and death at an early age.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
reply to post by SearchLightsInc

Perhaps some people forget that the brain is a muscle and to keep it healthy you have to eat a balanced diet and exercise.

Absolutely not. But you understand like any muscle, the less it is exercised and nourished, the weaker it becomes. Im no expert on the human body but i think there's enough evidence to suggest that a child with a growing brain cannot expect to live off a diet of # food with no real nutritional value while having very little exercise and still expect to reach adult hood with a relatively healthy mind and body. The brain is about so much more than intelligence - Its responsible for your entire being. If you # with it, poison it with various chemical's, you upset its natural balence and health problem's occur.

There are plenty of "stupid" skinny people who live off fast food. A poor diet is no good for anyone and that's a fact.

As far as exercise is concerned, how does that brain of Stephen Hawking function at all? (If you meant 'exercise' as in thinking, then weight has nothing to do with how your brain works.)

I dont see stephen hawking living off a diet of sh!t - That's got to be a factor in his state of intelligence. But as ive said, intelligence isnt everything when it comes to the brain.

We all know that bad food's have been directly linked with changing peoples moods/attitudes. Letting kid's drink ridiculous amounts soda/fizzy drinks can upset their sugar levels making them hyper and sluggish - Neither of which would be good from an educational perspective. Though as ive said before, kid's dont recognise that which is why its the responsibility of the parents.

There's nothing wrong with a child/person being a few pounds over/underweight but i think it is part of the school's job to provide education on nutrition and healthy lifestyles. If they have to go after the parents to do that, then what does that really say about western society as a whole?

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Well, some kids spend too much time playing games on X-box or watching TV,etc.... They need to go outside and play more. This is real.

It is important to note though that each fat cell has a stem cell, and stem cells are needed to form muscle. The makeup of the fat cell, not the lipid so much itself are also needed in the body for proper growth. To be too thin is no good, to be too fat is no good.

Coming into the growing spurt, kids need reserves of nutrients which are in the fat cells. The problem seems to be the quality of the nutrients in the fat cells, not the quantity. If there are toxins in the fat cells, the cell gets welded shut, the chemicals being imprisoned if the liver function or kidney function has been lowered for a while and the body couldn't detox all the chemicals that it did not recognize as safe.

Kids fat seems to be screwed up and unusable. That is a problem. Specialized fats near the cartilage help to form cartilage also. The chemistry of this cartiledge fat also is a store of synovial fluid for the joints. The overeducated idiots in the school system do not completely study things.

If the kids don't have enough fat, they can misform a lot of muscular/skeletal tissues, causing problems for the rest of their life. I cannot tell what fat in a kid is healthy or bad fat, maybe when they start utilizing the new urine analysis they are working on, they will be able to tell, hopefully they will figure a way to find an inexpensive way to test for all 200 chemicals they have identified as necessary instead of the five or six that is tested for now.

If a person only looks at half the evidence that backs their beliefs than they can make things worse. Get rid of some of the known bad chemistry in food. Don't overeat goitineragens, they slow detoxing and add to fat buildup. Moderate the use of the raw cruciferous veggies and spinach in the diet, that is not a good way to calm kids. A little coconut oil and real butter in school will work better than reducing iodine utilization. Moderation and diversification is the clue. Getting rid of the perfumes and pheromones in school will help also, if these scents bother a kids breathing, then they will not feel like doing anything, the lack of oxygen makes it rough to learn or move around.

I'm going to say that these schools are using flawed reasoning in their blame game, they are actually causing much bigger problems. Blaming problems on obesity is not science, finding what is causing obesity is science. You can't discount half the evidence.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

Kids are born ugly or not, they are not born obesely (sp?) overweight.

They are genetically tall or genetically ugly, short, have good eyes, bad eyes, deaf autistic etc. Being fat is the same as being unhygienic and unhealthy.

If a kid was sent to school who was literally dirty, smelly, unwashed had lice, always sick etc thats okay? would or should the school do anything for the saftey and health for the child?

What about psychical or mental abuse? - id consider a very poor diet a form of abuse so why should too much of bad food be any different?

You're way off.

The comparisons are not valid.

The issue here with the 'letters' compared to commie agenda tactics.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

The school is quite right to send letters to the parents of fat children pointing out the error of letting their children get fat, it is a form of neglect, on the parents part. nothing less, no excuses...

Quite likely the parents are " Fatties " too, and need a kick up the backside from the school, to make them think about their children's, if not their own health too....it is part of education.

Less T.V. And video games, etc; and more healthy outdoor excercise ! It isn't rocket science, weight can be controlled by either calorie intake, or excercise, or a combination of both.

Of course, this means self discipline and effort, silly me ! It is a persons right to be a fat bar steward if they want to be, that takes nil effort, the easy option. There, that should fire up a few comments from fatties !

( P.s. You guessed ! I'm not a fatty ! Six foot two, twelve stone, and self righteous about it.)

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Maybe if test scores were higher, people wouldn't mind the schools being concerned about the health of the students.
The schools should concentrate on their primary purpose until they learn how to accomplish that objective.

And there lays part of the problem.

Having failed to actually educate kids for decades now, they shift focus to other excuses for failure.

The cause of the failures lies with the 'educated' people, not anybody else.

It's so widespread, I wonder how some of these nuts even got a college degree in the first place.

Whatever money they spent for their 'educations' was a successful bilk.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join