It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Edward Snowden: the whistleblower behind revelations of NSA surveillance

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by GreyGoo

The US has a VAST and COMPREHENSIVE social media program. There are paid whores who constantly patrol, hijack, and monitor threads. To them I say FU&^ YOU. You are a PARASITE on freedom's ass, you waste of human life.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by hadriana
reply to post by Maluhia

I also heard on - of all places- AP - on the radio this morning, that they wanted Glenn Greenwald too.

When we start arresting journalists - it's the end.
It's bad enough we were spying on them.

I'm certain Glenn Greenwald, Laura Poitras & Edward Snowden didn't go into this eyes closed. They have now created a world full of witnesses who will watch everything the US does in relation to this from here on in and will be counting on us to stand up for them. Whether they live or die, metaphorically speaking, will now be in our hands. Get ready to shout, loud and clear, that you will not stand for government surveillance or government interference in journalism. Speak truth to power until you're blue in the face and then some.
'

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by MajesticJax

Don't heed the naysayers, not today. Today we won one for a change and we should celebrate! Tomorrow the fight continues but today, PARTYYYY!

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Archie

They are all whistleblowers that need our support.

They alerted us to a very serious breach of our Constitution. We don't just need to support them, but also Ron Wyden. He has seen the classified information in which the secret FISA court itself was concerned about the Constitutionally of these programs. The DOJ is fighting against their release.
edit on 9-6-2013 by butcherguy because: spellin'

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
reply to post by Archie

They are all whistleblowers the need our support.

They alerted us to a very serious breach of our Constitution. We don't just need to support them, but also Ron Wyden. He has seen the classified information in which the secret FISA court itself was concerned about the Constitutionally of these programs. The DOJ is fighting against their release.

And a star for you, good sir/madam. thank you very much! I also stand with Ron Wyden.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

They alerted us to a very serious breach of our Constitution

It's just too bad that the people charged with investigating this guy don't seem to have any copies of that document!

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Double post
edit on 9-6-2013 by Maluhia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maluhia
And it begins

US GOVERNMENT SECRETLY ACCESSING PHONE RECORDS US Congressman Peter King: 'If Edward Snowden did in fact leak the NSA data as he claims, the United States government must prosecute him to the fullest extent of the law and begin extradition proceedings at the earliest date. The United States must make it clear that no country should be granting this individual asylum. This is a matter of extraordinary consequence to American intelligence.' - via @NBCNews

www.breakingnews.com...

I think the US government is about to get a major wake-up call.

There are millions of people disillusioned by Obama, there are those on the right willing to go after him, and plenty on the left who - even if they supported Obama - cannot reconcile this.

I would say that 70 - 80% of the people are going to be behind this young man. Any politician that goes after him and tries to make that clear is going to be open to attack.

Let's face it, the guy is smart, he's noble, he's moral, ethical, brave, and he doesn't look bad either... he's going to be more of a poster boy than Manning was, and the only reason Manning is still being prosecuted is because the rabid right wing were supportive of his prosecution.

With this guy neither public side on the left or right are going to be happy to see him hunted down.

And, the moment a journalist is arrested, all bets are off. You might as well have jackbooted men marching through your street and tanks rolling into your cities.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maluhia
And it begins

US GOVERNMENT SECRETLY ACCESSING PHONE RECORDS US Congressman Peter King: 'If Edward Snowden did in fact leak the NSA data as he claims, the United States government must prosecute him to the fullest extent of the law and begin extradition proceedings at the earliest date. The United States must make it clear that no country should be granting this individual asylum. This is a matter of extraordinary consequence to American intelligence.' - via @NBCNews

www.breakingnews.com...

No, Mr King, this man needs to be afforded protection, given immunity from prosecution and placed before Congress for OPEN hearings, so that we might hear all he knows about these horrible acts that have been perpetrated against the American people. We need to hear the names that he can name and find out everything.

I won't hold my breath.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Rocker2013

Originally posted by Rocker2013
I would say that 70 - 80% of the people are going to be behind this young man.

Actually, I would have estimated those are the percentages that will apply to those American's who won't even give this a second thought. Of the remaining number, perhaps your ratios apply.

The truth is our populous has been either asleep at the wheel or completely clueless for a very long time. I don't think this disclosure changes any of that.

Originally posted by Rocker2013
Any politician that goes after him and tries to make that clear is going to be open to attack.

Of course, the shrewdest of moves would now be for any foreign enemy of the US to do something very unhealthy to Mr. Snowden first in an attempt to cause further problems for the US Government.

On that possibility alone, I think Mr. Snowdon didn't think this one all of the way through.

Who knows what will happen now? Things just might get a whole lot worse for everyone.

(Hope I'm wrong about that.)
edit on 9-6-2013 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 06:42 PM
link   
When the character assassinations begin, it should be remembered that the US manipulates social media.

An article from 2011:

The US military is developing software that will let it secretly manipulate social media sites by using fake online personas to influence internet conversations and spread pro-American propaganda.

www.guardian.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Double post but not to waste it...

You should all read "Prisoner Without A Name, Cell without a Number" by Jacob Timerman
www.goodreads.com...
edit on 9-6-2013 by Archie because: why waste a double post?

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Of course, the shrewdest of moves would now be for any foreign enemy of the US to get to Mr. Snowden first in an attempt to cause further problems for the US Government.

It seems to me that the greatest enemy the American people face right now is our federal government itself.

If they are not obeying the Constitution, they are domestic enemies.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Originally posted by butcherguy
It seems to me that the greatest enemy the American people face right now is our federal government itself.

If they are not obeying the Constitution, they are domestic enemies.

Pardon me if your post strikes me as a paint-by-numbers response.

In my view, "the greatest enemy the American people face right now" is themselves.

Whether by their acceptance, resignation, ignorance or apathy, the American public is directly responsible for where we find ourselves today.

And notwithstanding any of that, we also have the misfortune of having very real enemies abroad.

Pretty eff'd up if you ask me...and a whole hell of a lot more complicated than your response describes.

edit on 9-6-2013 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 06:54 PM
link   

In a note accompanying the first set of documents he gave the Post and others, Snowden wrote: “I understand that I will be made to suffer for my actions,” but “I will be satisfied if the federation of secret law, unequal pardon and irresistible executive powers that rule the world that I love are revealed even for an instant.”

Edward Snowden says motive behind leaks was to expose ‘surveillance state’

He gave us his best shot. What we do about it will determine whether his action was done in vain.

Obama & Company vs. Braveheart & Company.

We are in for a heck of a fight.
edit on 6/9/2013 by sad_eyed_lady because: link story without sign in to Wa Po

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by sad_eyed_lady

We are in for a heck of a fight.

It sure is going to get interesting. And I'd love it if what butcherguy suggested would happen,

No, Mr King, this man needs to be afforded protection, given immunity from prosecution and placed before Congress for OPEN hearings, so that we might hear all he knows about these horrible acts that have been perpetrated against the American people. We need to hear the names that he can name and find out everything.

but you know the drill. The focus will be on his "leaking classified info" - which puts Americans at risk! Aggghhh! I will be bald by the end of the week from tearing my hair out!
edit on 9-6-2013 by Maluhia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 07:08 PM
link   
It's not like this will stop anything. The surveillance will continue.

These scandals have cropped up before and after everything died down, it was back to "business as usual", see Mark Klein and AT&T Rm 641A.

This won't be any different, IMO.

People like Snowden will have to look over their shoulders for the rest of their lives and nothing will have changed.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by bg_socalif

People like Snowden will have to look over their shoulders for the rest of their lives and nothing will have changed.

Probably true, but maybe a few more people will begin to realize what the heck is happening and make a bigger stink, this is not something that's happening to someone else - this is happening to all of us. Heck, I can dream...

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   
I have no problem with what he did but I do have a problem with him hiding in China trading our secrets with them for protection. That is not what an American hero would do. I really don't think this is a big surprise or secret it just seems the media is hyping it up to soften up the other issues at hand. Just my two cents.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Pardon me making it as simple as possible. I thought by making it simple, I might get through to simpletons.( not directed at you)

There are still posters supporting this crap. If they don't get it yet, I guess they never will.

I agree with your assertion that Mr Snowden should be concerned about being taken by a foreign govt.

Oops, I almost forgot...

Whether by their acceptance, resignation, ignorance or apathy, the American public is directly responsible for where we find ourselves today.

We were responsible for electing Richard Nixon also. He was also an enemy of the people. An enemy is an enemy, no matter how they get to that point.
If the apathy continues, we can expect worse.
edit on 9-6-2013 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join