It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

6th grader dies after being puched in the face by a bully

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Very sad story here a 12 year old 6th grader was punched in the face by a bully at his school,his nose was broken and he suffered a concussion. He was checked out by doctors at DuPont Hospital in Delaware and released

A couple days later he starts having seizures And had to be put in a medically induced coma and he has now died.

The punch was caught on a security camera but no charges were ever filed. I really hope that changes after his death.

I know he wasnt trying to kill Bailey, but Bailey is still dead and I hope he gets charged with something

ETA. My son started getting bullied aroung 4th or 5th grade and was bullied untill High school then he sprouted and was bigger then everyone else. he loved school when he was little the he started getting bullied and was just miserable at school and didnt want to go

As parents and educators I think we really need to do a better job of stopping bullys.. Kids should not be miserable at school

www.philly.com...

A boy in a medically induced coma after being being punched Jan. 10 on the schoolyard in what his family called a bullying incident has died, a school official has confirmed.

Bailey O'Neill, had just turned 12 Saturday. He was taken off life support Sunday.

"Late yesterday, we were informed about the death of Bailey O'Neill," Stephen Butz, superintendent of the Southeast Delco School District wrote in a statement this morning.

"Our school community is deeply saddened by this loss. Our condolences are with Bailey's family and friends during this very difficult time."

edit on 4-3-2013 by goou111 because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-3-2013 by goou111 because: add pic

edit on 4-3-2013 by goou111 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   
the young bully who did this should be charged with involuntary manslaughter and then taken to a mental hospital for extreme evaluation,then serve out a hefty punishment of confinement.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by goou111

The parents should be charged aswell.

Amazingly sad bit of news.
edit on 4-3-2013 by Wertdagf because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 09:52 AM
link   
It is incredibly sad that our children cannot be safe at school.

I am thinking about homeschooling. Seriously.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf

I believe they should.

Very very often, I've seen parents of bullies actually approve and be proud of their child being a bully.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Survival of the fittest at its best...or worst.

That's what this is. The wolves are smarter and more seriously equipped, but that doesn't change our nature - wild, snarling savages who have given animalistic behavior a larger and larger role in the dance of society.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   
They are just children. You can't really blame them. Blame the society and parents.

Really sad news, I really don't know whats going on with the world.
edit on 4-3-2013 by Nikola014 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 10:04 AM
link   
What gets me is that older generations will say, "That's how it was when I grew up, were coddling our kids!" I'm not of that mindset and I'm older. But so many people are. "If it was good of enough for me, it's good enough for everyone" attitude. It's wrong and the bullies parents need to be punished for raising a future criminal. Some people have no business having babies.

There should be more instrumental classes that deal with bullying at school from an early age, too many parents have a "c'est la vie" attitude towards bullying. Kids don't understand the consequences of their actions until it's too late.

CX

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf
reply to post by goou111

I don't agree.

I have brought my kids up to be respectful, polite and to threat others how they wish to be treated themselves. I have instilled discipline in the right way and have brought my kids up as well as i could. They are good kids overall.

The day they bully someone, they know i'll come down on them like a ton of bricks, but the bullying that they did won't be my doing. Let them take the punishment, but not the parent.....unless the parents are a contributing factor.

Sometimes the home situation is very much a factor in the kids subsequent behaviour, in that case, get social services/welfare involved and do what needs doing.

However just punishing the parent no matter what is not right in my opinion.

CX.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Parents are to blame. Stop buying into the touchy feely liberal crap.Part of your DUTY as a parent is teaching your child how to be independent and a part of that is defending themselves. Bullies are the same the world over. When you fight back and knock them on their arse they get the message. My sympathies to his family.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   
This story has been on my mind for the past weeks, to such extent that I googled a few days ago to see if there had been an update. It's an incredibly sad outcome for this boy's family and my feelings go out to them.

It seems frustrating that apparently not that much has been done to address the incident on home ground. An anti-bullying programme? A programme of community involvement for kids that age that is geared towards generating more empathy towards others?

Finally, I would like to believe that schoolyards are not yet so polarized that all 12-year-olds are either victims or bullies. Perhaps there are degrees and perhaps there are bullies or would-be bullies who could be pulled out of the cycle of abusing and terrorizing others if they realize that 12-year-olds can also be broken beyond repair. Schools and educators should NOT hush this up.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by daryllyn

Deepest condolences to the family.

This is one of many reasons that I started homeschooling my son. I was tired of him coming home with bruises on a weekly basis, in the first grade. U2U me if you have any questions.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   
This is such a sad story. My heart goes out to this childs family and I sure hope the bully gets some sort of punishement for this, and not the "Go to your room with your XBOX and TV" punishment

My partner had a court case against the school system for several years because a teacher left them unattended to while playing elementary field hockey and one of the kids took a hockey stick to my boyfriends head and caused severe damage. He was considered disabled after this, and after many years of recovery still struggles with memory and some other functions but over all was lucky to be alive. This kid was given nothing more than a slap on the wrists and the school system covered this up quickly, making my partners developing years hell with much intimidating, watching, prying.. And this was in Canada. No pay out, nothing. In the US, this case would have been worth millions.

I'm just saying, sadly, I doubt much will be done about this.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I was bullied a lot growing up. I'm not the type of person that says "Oh, I dealed with it and you're good enough to deal with it too!" But the thing is, there's such a thing as unintended consequences. So lets say we start locking up bullies and forcefully medicating them or throwing them into therapy sessions or prosecuting their parents for gross negligence and removing their privilege to be parents and hence putting the bully into foster care. Who knows what they'd do. What I'm afraid of are all the unknown variables. A lot of times we can look forward to a change in society and yet at the same time there can be unknowns that hurt just as much as those other things helped. And sometimes these things stick and so society forever changes and can't be reversed.

There were some bullies that were just the type that ganged up and used verbal assault. Then there were the kinds that were physical. They were the tougher kids. Just their presence would send shivers down your spine because they were the real shiz. Like WMD. Your mind screams SOS. If I was a kid at that school, I'd be tormented by fears of that bully if he's not taught how his actions were wrong. It could be that this punch leading to a death was purely accidental. I doubt that his punch is any more dangerous than anybody else. But.... I recall getting punched in the nose in grade school. I didn't die. I had basketballs thrown at my head several times in school. I never died. I recall seeing a couple fist fights. None of them lasted long because we had aides that were watching and/or teachers that could stop it. I even recall a couple fights being stopped by the students themselves. In fact, I tried to stop a fight between two older kids when I was in preschool. (One of my better memories is when I was being teased and one of the bigger kids (who was also teased because he had mild down syndrome) came over to stop it. I'll always remember his courage and yet I painfully remember a few years later in high school while waiting for the buses some of the bully-types would tease him. I wasn't brave enough to stop it because these were bigger guys and it was in full view of other students because we were waiting for the buses after school ended. Thankfully, some 10-15+ years later, even though he has mild down syndrome, he has managed to hold a few jobs. I've seen him a couple times. I hope he's still doing good.) Nobody died from a fight in all the years I was attending school. Kids would be suspended. Some of them probably got a serious come down from their parents. Some probably had some scarred memories of it. And others, like me, come away with a bittersweet memory of school that has some good and bad moments.

If they prosecute this kid and all he did was throw a normal but astronomically rare punch that just happened to kill the other kid by mistake, it could have more damaging consequences than if they were to go into with more caution. If it were me, I'd be careful about coming down too hard on the bully. Because how're we going to stop ALL fist fights? Sounds wrong to me. I don't want to live in a world where kids are so controlled that fights never break out. That creeps me out. I'm a liberal, not a conservative. People should control their impulses. But things will NEVER be perfect. If they're perfect then is that not creepy to you? It scares me. It's not human.

To all my tormenters in school, I forgive you. I realize we were just kids. In fact, I saw how many of you grew up and surpassed me in most ways. Some of you even have families now. Don't regret your actions. I know that this world ain't perfect. And for that matter, I was really weird and maybe sometimes I deserved it. However, if you can find a place in your mind to say sorry, please do.
edit on 4-3-2013 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   
This is really a shame.

it doesnt say if the act was premedidtated, if it were id charge him with murder because wether he meant to or not he killed a damn kid. with alot of his life left to live.
35 yrs should give him time to think about it.

there will be those who say hes just a kid/he didnt mean it
but now a family has to deal with their kids death over an incident that probably couldve been prevented
just because he is a kid doesnt mean he should be slapped on the wrist for killing someone
id like to hear his side of the story as to what and why this occured.

edit on 4-3-2013 by dirtybird because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nikola014
They are just children. You can't really blame them. Blame the society and parents.

Really sad news, I really don't know whats going on with the world.
edit on 4-3-2013 by Nikola014 because: (no reason given)

This is BS. And it's this accepting "kids will be kids" attitude that causes parents to look the other way when their kid is a bully-- and it is the exact reason that this kid should face manslaughter charges, and depending on the circumstances.... maybe the parents too. If not that, then maybe they should lose the kid. I don't like the idea of more lives being destroyed because of what amounts to a mistake-- but this kind of thing needs to end. Kids should not have a free pass on violence, or think it's acceptable in any way.

Schoolyard fights were common when I was in school. As was bullying. IMO most of the kids involved in this probably didn't realize that if they did some of these same things as adults, they would face criminal charges. No, I'm not suggesting we be merciless or that children should face the same kind of penalties as adults (at least not in most cases-- in some they should). But we really need to do everything we can to stop sending the message that this kind of thing is okay to any degree. Violence is never okay. Teachers need to be observant about this kind of thing-- and when spotted it needs to be pointed out to the parents, by the teachers or school administration. If the parents fail to take appropriate action to change their kids' behavior, they need to have some outside agency they can turn to-- or face consequences, themselves.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by CX

Would make people second guess having children and in this day and age thats a good thing.

Reduce population and increase responsible reproduction. Id go as far to even say parents should be held liable for their children forever.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   
It's a symptom of the violent society which we've created. How many times have people said that someone would lose their life in the end with incidents like this, well now it's happened, but nothing will change sadly, we'll just become inured to it and incidents like this will proliferate.

Sympathies to all concerned and affected by this terrible tragedy.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by iwilliam

Sorry, but I most definitely disagree with you.

Kids are still learning how to become a good member of society and should be able to make mistakes without fully facing the consequences until they are fully able to make the right choices. That takes time, and children need to be given that time. I'm just talking about bullying, not about some more serious action.

If a child exhibits adult-like planning in a murder, for example, he or she should absolutely be tried as an adult. But mostly, I believe the parents/guardians of children should be tried for the bad seed they helped raise.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   
This is so sad I'm feel sorry for his parents, schools are supposed to be safe while your child's there.
My granddaughters being bully at school and when my daughter her mother went to see them about it they said that there's no bullying at the school it just doesn't happen tut schools sometime's just don't care, my granddaughter leaves this year after her exams i just hope it doesn't put her of college.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join