It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is your favorite gaming platform, and why?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by blahxd67

Originally posted by SpearMint

Originally posted by buster2010
PC is the only way to game. Let's face it the kiddie consoles are nice but the graphics and game play have to be geared down. So if you want to play games the way they were meant to be played PC is the way to go.

If that's all you care about (which is sad, but unfortunately the way things are going), will your opinion change later this year when the next gen consoles come out?

The next gen consoles are still only equal to current gen PC hardware. PC hardware continually evolves and becomes more powerful. Those consoles will become obsolete in a year or less.

You can't make that assumption, look at the specs on current gen consoles, they're tiny in comparison to even an average PC, yet they're able to run games not all that far (not nearly as far as PC elitists like to think) from gaming PCs. Now the next gen consoles have specs close to a decent gaming PC. A PC is a very inefficient gaming machine, consoles are optimised to be just that. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with gaming on a PC, but there's certainly nothing wrong with consoles.

Exactly. Games are held back by consoles. Consoles can run them because the games are dumbed down so they can run them. My PC can achieve a solid 70FPS in games. What can current consoles achieve? 30 and below @ sub-HD. Big difference. If these next gen consoles can run the games the same as a powerful PC...that means games are unoptimized for PCs, because of developers. If I run my games at full FPS, I can achieve many times over 150FPS. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with gaming on a console. If you want to, fine.
edit on 3-3-2013 by blahxd67 because: (no reason given)

Often games are not held back by consoles. You seem to have missed my point, the current gen console's performance is remarkable considering their hardware, meaning the next gen has huge potential. To get the same performance from a PC you need much better hardware due to how inefficient a PC is at running games, so games being held back if irrelevant. You don't need 150 fps, that's ridiculous and pointless. Also, how much did your PC cost you?
edit on 3-3-2013 by SpearMint because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   

PC is the only way to game. Let's face it the kiddie consoles are nice but the graphics and game play have to be geared down. So if you want to play games the way they were meant to be played PC is the way to go.

If that's all you care about (which is sad, but unfortunately the way things are going), will your opinion change later this year when the next gen consoles come out?

The next gen consoles are still only equal to current gen PC hardware. PC hardware continually evolves and becomes more powerful. Those consoles will become obsolete in a year or less.

You can't make that assumption, look at the specs on current gen consoles, they're tiny in comparison to even an average PC, yet they're able to run games not all that far (not nearly as far as PC elitists like to think) from gaming PCs. Now the next gen consoles have specs close to a decent gaming PC. A PC is a very inefficient gaming machine, consoles are optimised to be just that. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with gaming on a PC, but there's certainly nothing wrong with consoles. PC elitists should be grateful for consoles, because they wouldn't be playing the games that they play without them, they made the industry.

A PC made for gaming is a inefficient gaming machine? Where are you getting this stuff at? Don't get me wrong the specs on the next consoles are good but my current pc is better.
edit on 3-3-2013 by buster2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 08:31 PM
link   

You can't make that assumption, look at the specs on current gen consoles, they're tiny in comparison to even an average PC, yet they're able to run games not all that far (not nearly as far as PC elitists like to think) from gaming PCs. Now the next gen consoles have specs close to a decent gaming PC. A PC is a very inefficient gaming machine, consoles are optimised to be just that. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with gaming on a PC, but there's certainly nothing wrong with consoles. PC elitists should be grateful for consoles, because they wouldn't be playing the games that they play without them, they made the industry.

A PC made for gaming is a inefficient gaming machine? Where are you getting this stuff at? Don't get me wrong the specs on the new consoles are good but my current pc is better.

It is, if you disagree with that then you don't know a lot about PCs. It's not in dispute.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 08:33 PM
link   

You can't make that assumption, look at the specs on current gen consoles, they're tiny in comparison to even an average PC, yet they're able to run games not all that far (not nearly as far as PC elitists like to think) from gaming PCs. Now the next gen consoles have specs close to a decent gaming PC. A PC is a very inefficient gaming machine, consoles are optimised to be just that. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with gaming on a PC, but there's certainly nothing wrong with consoles.

Exactly. Games are held back by consoles. Consoles can run them because the games are dumbed down so they can run them. My PC can achieve a solid 70FPS in games. What can current consoles achieve? 30 and below @ sub-HD. Big difference. If these next gen consoles can run the games the same as a powerful PC...that means games are unoptimized for PCs, because of developers. If I run my games at full FPS, I can achieve many times over 150FPS. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with gaming on a console. If you want to, fine.

Often games are not held back by consoles. You seem to have missed my point, the current gen console's performance is remarkable considering their hardware, meaning the next gen has huge potential. To get the same performance from a PC you need much better hardware due to how inefficient a PC is at running games, so games being held back if irrelevant. You don't need 150 fps, that's ridiculous and pointless. Also, how much did your PC cost you?

My current PC cost me over $1,000. And I'm also playing my games at the highest settings. While consoles are at MUCH lower setting. I mean...compare Battlefield 3 for PS3/360 to a PC. The cost for my PC is definitely higher than a console. But the quality is also much higher. Even so, I get a lot of value out of my PC considering emulators. I'm sorry, but you're wrong. The PS3 GPU is a modified 8800GT. Which is old. The RAM in both consoles is REALLY low. 512MB total in both. Nasty.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by SpearMint

Okay. You think PC is inefficient at gaming...since this is ATS...give me evidence.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   

It is, if you disagree with that then you don't know a lot about PCs. It's not in dispute.

I have been building and overclocking my own PC's for over 20 years now. I would have to say you are the one that really doesn't know what they are talking about.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 08:37 PM
link   

I have been building and overclocking my own PC's for over 20 years now. I would have to say you are the one that really doesn't know what they are talking about.

Speaking of which, I'm using an i5 3570K @ 4.3GHz.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 08:37 PM
link   

My current PC cost me over $1,000. And I'm also playing my games at the highest settings. While consoles are at MUCH lower setting. I mean...compare Battlefield 3 for PS3/360 to a PC. The cost for my PC is definitely higher than a console. But the quality is also much higher. Even so, I get a lot of value out of my PC considering emulators. I'm sorry, but you're wrong. The PS3 GPU is a modified 8800GT. Which is old. The RAM in both consoles is REALLY low. 512MB total in both. Nasty.

$700 - $800+ really isn't worth the difference for me, and you got that very cheap, although you're very vague, it could be thousands more. By slagging off the current gen hardware you're just proving my point, go ahead, it's bad.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Doesn't really matter, you don't need to know much to do either. I don't see how you can argue that PCs are not inefficient when it comes to games, they very clearly are.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Tech Of Tomorrow is building their own "PS4" using off the shelf parts.
PS4 Project

If you think you cannot build a gaming PC for cheap, you are sadly mistaken.

Check out the comments to see what I'm talking about.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Doesn't really matter, I don't see how you can argue that PCs are not inefficient when it comes to games, they very clearly are.

How?

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 08:42 PM
link   

To get the same performance from a PC you need much better hardware due to how inefficient a PC is at running games

You don't understand the way PC's and technology work. The PS4 and the Xbox 720 will be using AMD hardware. The same exact hardware that's in PC's.

What you continue to fail to realize, is that AMD's and Intel's fastest CPU's, GPU's, and APU's cost alot of money. Far more money than any person would ever spend on a console. Which means consoles will get slower CPU's and GPU's to keep the price down. It has nothing to do with efficiency.

It is, if you disagree with that then you don't know a lot about PCs.

To say something like this after all the things you've typed in this thread is the exact definition of an oxymoron. You've shown you have no idea what type of hardware comes inside consoles, what we can put inside computers, and the benchmarks of both.

So, I'll say it one last time:

Consoles will NEVER, EVER, come close to the power of a gaming PC.

The sole reason is cost of hardware. You can't magically reduce the cost of a $1000 Intel CPU or $300 AMD CPU to make them inexpensive enough to put into a console. That means it will never be possible for consoles to come close to the power of a gaming PC. Ever.

edit on 3-3-2013 by _BoneZ_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Doesn't really matter, I don't see how you can argue that PCs are not inefficient when it comes to games, they very clearly are.

How?

It's pretty self explanatory. The specs needed to run a game on a PC are much higher than if you build a machine that was optimised for running games (like next gen consoles). This was demonstrated by the current gen consoles years ago.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_

And I could use an Intel Core i3 in my PC for gaming too just fine.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by spoonbender
reply to post by blahxd67

PC all the way
the only thing consoles
are good for are sports games
ie. Madden

halo=joke

-cough- Halo is available for PC too -cough-

does not make a difference
how about this

any console title ported to PC = Joke

PC is for adults
consoles are for kids

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 08:45 PM
link   

How?

It's pretty self explanatory. The specs needed to run a game on a PC are much higher than if you build a machine that was optimised for running games (like next gen consoles). This was demonstrated by the current gen consoles years ago.

Devs spend a lot of time optimizing games for the consoles. Why? They have to. All the money is in consoles. Consoles are very popular. If consoles can achieve what they achieved...imagine what a PC can achieve.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 08:46 PM
link   

reply to post by blahxd67

PC all the way
the only thing consoles
are good for are sports games
ie. Madden

halo=joke

-cough- Halo is available for PC too -cough-

does not make a difference
how about this

any console title ported to PC = Joke

PC is for adults
consoles are for kids

xD funny how Spearmint is saying "PCs are inefficient for gaming" and yet...that's how games are made. On PC...

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by _BoneZ_

Well that doesn't make sense, a console is just a PC that only plays games, if they are built with the same specs then a console will always come out on top. The reason they don't is because of the gap between generations, I think this will be fixed in the future, or at least improved. To make a claim like you have is just plain wrong.

I don't know why I'm wasting my time really, if people want to spend a lot more for relatively little gain then that's fine.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Well that doesn't make sense, a console is just a PC that only plays games, if they are built with the same specs then a console will always come out on top. The reason they don't is because of the gap between generations, I think this will be fixed in the future, or at least improved. To make a claim like you have is just plain wrong.

I don't know why I'm wasting my time really, if people want to spend a lot more for relatively little gain then that's fine.

Your console only plays games? Funny. Mine can play movies and music too. Relative gain? You mean a solid 60FPS at 1080p at the highest settings? Sounds like a pretty damn good gain to me. Even so, the cost can be balanced with all the free games available for PC.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Your console only plays games? Funny. Mine can play movies and music too.

While it's playing a game? I don't know what your point is really.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join