It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is your favorite gaming platform, and why?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by blahxd67
reply to post by SpearMint

And my games still run better on a PC than console.

... When I said think about it, I meant with your brain. Again you're completely missing the point and not helping either side.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 09:28 PM
link   
By the way, you can pick up AMD's lowly Radeon HD 7750 for $100 from Newegg. It plays Battlefield 3 at 1680x1050 @ 40FPS with no AA enabled with maximum detail. That seems pretty good for a lowly card. And for the most part, CPUs don't mean much in games nowadays.

Radeon 7750 review Battlefield 3 - Battlefield 3 performance 7750

Sapphire Radeon HD 7750 Newegg - Newegg 7750 Sapphire

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpearMint

Originally posted by blahxd67

And my games still run better on a PC than console.

... When I said think about it, I meant with your brain. Again you're completely missing the point and not helping either side.

The increased overhead of a PC means nothing. Because CPUs handle the increased overhead just fine.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 01:02 AM
link   
PC is better then consoles for one reason, you can easily swap parts that brake.

-SAP-
edit on 4-3-2013 by SloAnPainful because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 06:02 AM
link   
...PC, cos thanks to SKIDROW, RELOADED, RAZOR1911...atc, ALL games are for free

edit on 4-3-2013 by ZakOlongapo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 07:42 AM
link   

I play on both, console and PC. I have a 360 and I've had a PS3. Hated the PS3. Worthless machine. I enjoy my xbox but I have to say PC gaming is where its at. Graphics, Gameplay, Variety, and Mod-ability make it far or entertaining to me. Ultimately gaming is subjective. Everyone has an opinion and no opinion is inherently wrong but If I had to choose today which platform to go with it would definitely be PC.
edit on 4-3-2013 by Hawkmoon1972 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 07:44 AM
link   
I have been a Nintendo fan, and since 1997, a PlayStation Fan. Mainly due to gaming like Final Fantasy and Metal Gear Solid, also PSs are super computers! its can only do everything. I personally like PS controller, they conform to your hands, other controllers are just too big.

For PC vs Console debate...

Console has the advantage of being less costly(a decent graphic card on pc to stand against a console will cost about $450-600), where as the whole console cost $200-300.

Connection/Lag issue, Console has virtually no lag during online play.

Longevity, PC gets outdated often, where as new graphics card will be required, parts of computer often fails.

Multi-player community.

Almost no hacks, which usually destroys gaming.

Portable. Takes less space.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Explanation: S&F!

Commodore 64

Because it was the 1st computer I ever owned and it played all the 1st computer games I ever bought or manually programed into it and It was THE games machine for like .. the entire 80's!

Personal Disclosure: Anybody who mentions my age must buy me an original working Vectrex with several games, with the plastic screen overlays for each game,... for my birthday ok!

P.S. I loved the following consols ... sega megadrive ... the super nintendo and the nintendo 64 ... sony ps2 [ps3 was better but I rarely played it] .. AND the 3DO [panasonic ... not the
samsung
] and each of them had there pros and cons ... but over all in the modern age ... consols are for wimps ... GET A PC OK!

Edited to add.. Doh I forgot to include the NEOGEO! :shk:
edit on 4-3-2013 by OmegaLogos because: Edited to add the Edit.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 08:34 AM
link   
The only time I've touched my consoles in the past 2 years was to play Ni No Kuni very recently...and half the time I was left wishing they had done the game in 1080p and with proper AA. Hopefully a ps3 emulator isn't too far off

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by finitedualities
The only time I've touched my consoles in the past 2 years was to play Ni No Kuni very recently...and half the time I was left wishing they had done the game in 1080p and with proper AA. Hopefully a ps3 emulator isn't too far off

How is Ni No Kuni? im thinking of getting one. Tell me the bad things about it.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

It's a decent enough game, but the grind really becomes monotonous toward the last phases of the story. Probably the first Jrpg that has kept me fairly entertained enough to finish in quite sometime if that tells you anything. If you dig Ghibli, then I'd get it, otherwise, it may be too boring to finish

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 09:34 AM
link   
As a 41 year old, who enjoys games(I hate the term gamer). I have owned Atari, Odyseyy, NES, Master System, SNES, Genisis, N64, Dreamcast, PS, Gamcube, 360, Wii,PS3 and of coarse PC. I find myself playing more Nintendo games than any other games. I now have Wii U, which is simply the best system I have ever played. BOPS2 multi-player is amazing, so much so that I had picked it up for PS3 (PS3's came out a week before Wii U's) I rented the Wii U version a few weeks later just to check it out on the new system and see what it was all about. Hands down it was better I was like WOW, I ended up trading in my PS3 version for Wii U's. The gamepad makes that game, and it looks just a little better on Wii U than PS3. Nintendo's 1st party games tend to be epic in size and gameplay. Last weekend I was at Gamestop and picked up Super Mario Galaxy, because I had not played it all the way through I had rented it years ago. I have to say that for being a Wii game the graphics to this day are great and the Wii U upscales to 1080p so it looks even better on the new system. What a fun game. I mean yeah I enjoy blowing people up in BOPS, but I also enjoy just having fun. The game is amazing, and it is easy to see why it scores 9.6 out of 10. The level design is unparalleled. Now I am going to have to pick up Galaxy 2....I have to say with PS4 not being backwards compatible, I am a little bummed, with all of these great games coming out for PS3 this year, I don't think I will be in a hurry to pick a PS4 up unless the price is right.

I have to say as of right now my favorite console is Wii U. The gamepad is amazing. The free apps for it such as TVii, google street, and so on and so on. The gameplay on games like Zombi U, Trine2, Nintendoland, BOPS2, Madden, and New Super Mario Bros, simply can not be done on any other system. I can not wait to see what Nintendo is going to do with games like Super Smash Bros, Metroid, 3D Mario, and Zelda. Also there is a new Xenoblades coming out for the system and it looks Next Gen all the way. Nintendo is failing with Wii U because the marketing SUCKS. Most people do not have any idea what it can do, and the in store demos do NO justice for the system. You have to have it at home and online to see what it is all about.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Never been a huge gamer per say but if I have to choose one then it's got to be the PS3. I just have never been able to get comfortable playing on a PC. I haven't actually tried to play on PC in probably 10 years but a lot of people I know swear PC is the way to go (just like I'm seeing on this thread). I started with the first Xbox and fell in love. Xbox 360 was the way to go but I got so pissed after having 2 systems get the red ring of death. I bought a laptop, got a free Xbox 360, & traded it for a PS3 this was 2 years ago. Never had any troubles with the PS3 and it wasn't even the newer style. Also add in that PS has the free gaming network. So I doubt I'll ever go back to Xbox but we'll see what the next generation of gaming brings.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Mac with Windows on Bootcamp

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream
For PC vs Console debate...

Console has the advantage of being less costly(a decent graphic card on pc to stand against a console will cost about $450-600), where as the whole console cost $200-300.

This is something that I constantly see being posed as some sort of selling point for consoles and I have always found it pretty interesting.

First point: Do you have a computer? Most who have a console also have a computer. Imagine if you were to just invest the same money in an "all-in-one" system (PC) instead of buying a computer *and* a console. Or a tablet *and* a console, etc.

Second: Done correctly, to play the latest games at full settings and 50+ fps, you are looking at an investment really only in the video card. If you buy things like the PSU, HDD, case, fan controllers, DVD/Blu-Ray drives, etc with the foresight (what the companies dont expect you to have, btw) that you can just re-use them in a new PC over and over and over again, you save an enormous amount of cost. Generally, to keep up with the latest games, you are looking at an investment of ~$200 dollars initially (for the GPU), then about $100 dollars 3 or so years later. Giving a total life for the GPU setup at $300 for six years. Then, you just invest another $200 2-3 years after that and repeat the cycle. This specific buying habit was not as feasible when consoles were first introduced. But now that processing power is where it is at with CPUs (specifically in the last couple years), we are actually seeing games being coded specifically to tax the hardware to further propagate sales. Current processing units are extremely powerful. By the time the entire system is outdated, you would have been looking at a new PC anyway. At this point in the game (with processing speed, SSD's, etc), I would propose it is more costly to invest in a console that has a specific use than it would be to invest the same money into a device which can do much, much more.

The truth is that console gaming is going to turn into a relic, and it will only be mitigated by marketing and mass appeal. As PCs become more and more mobile (see: tablets) why on Earth would someone want some dinosaur machine that is only used to play games (sic) for the same cost, at worse quality? Marketing! I think what we will see is a much higher level of amalgamation between all of these systems. Most likely with the intent of locking down PCs, specifically, with proprietary programming (apple led the way with this one). It is appealing to more people than just gamers, does more, and can be programmed (just like consoles and apple) so that the user can perform no action on the unit without "authorized" permission.

Just out of curiosity, how much are the new generation of consoles going to cost? Id almost bet that I can build a PC that will outperform them from day one, at lesser outlay of resources over time.
edit on 4-3-2013 by Serdgiam because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Serdgiam

I understand that PC can do much more, but the goal of the console is one and only, to maximize gaming.

If you are strict PC gamer, you would have 2 PC, one for game and for normal use. Which i do. Adding on random programs slowly kills PCs.

my game PC uses GTX 670 card, which was about $450 when i bought it...and i had a 250gb SSD.

You say you can build a PC that can outperform a console for the same cost, which i highly doubt, the new consoles will cost about $400-500~

Normally Performance Cards can go from $200-300 - light gaming..

high Game cards, which are usually the one against consoles, cost anywhere from $350-600, and this is 'just' the card.

edit: console system like PS3 can also browse internet, watch movies, stream, save files, transfer photo, sd drives etc. Infact PS3 is a computer, a very low costing computer with focus on gaming.
edit on 3/4/2013 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Consoles slow the growth of gaming development. That's all

-PC Gamer-

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
Consoles slow the growth of gaming development. That's all

-PC Gamer-

It might be true, but you should ask the Developer why they cater to Console lol.

Developers care about money more than what is the best option. PC can hack design, exploit and make them lose money.

Its a investment in a house out in the open and an investment in a house guarded by security guards... meh bad analogy but it make sense in my head lol.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by blahxd67

Anything that will run Dwarf Fortress. Thanks for asking.

2nd.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   
I enjoy the Playstation consoles. Because it is my preference and I love them.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join