It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is your favorite gaming platform, and why?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I personally wouldn't say I have a favorite platform, but I'm usually gaming on my PC. In fact, I hardly ever touch my consoles. To be sure though, they all have great games that can only be had on those consoles. Unless you use emulators, which I do on my PC. One of my favorite Playstation series is Ratchet and Clank. I've played all of them except 2 or 3 of them. No doubt, we're going to have some Halo fans here on ATS. I've never played Halo before, but the latest one is supposed to be really good(graphically too). You also have the Uncharted series. I've only played the demo of those games, but they looked amazing, and were really fun. So I think it's hard to narrow down just one particular platform.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Xbox 360 for a few reasons, one of them being it has the most comfortable controller in existence. I know you can connect the 360 controller to a PC but it doesn't feel the same, plus you have to spend a lot more on a PC than an Xbox to get the same results, and a lot more to get superior results. Xbox seems to have better privileges, like getting Skyrim DLC first, and I expect there might be certain bonuses with the upcoming game 'Destiny' (which looks awesome), since it's being developed by Bungie. Also Halo, and Fable's pretty great too.
edit on 3-3-2013 by SpearMint because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by blahxd67

PC all the way
the only thing consoles
are good for are sports games
ie. Madden

halo=joke

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   
PC because I build it with as much power as I want/can afford and can mod it however I desire. I do enjoy the God of War and Metal Gear series on Playstation and Halo and Gears on Xbox. There are also some rpgs ( my favorite genre) that are sometimes only for a specific console. But for the most part my pc can do much better as a gaming system than any of the consoles.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I prefer all of them for their strong suits. That and playing on all the platforms allows me access to all the exclusives. Understandably people will have their favorites but no 1 platform is better than the others, each has its own highs and lows. One of the best examples of this is the Dark Souls online feature.

With PS3 you get a larger community, and less hackers. But you are more likely to run into 'gankers', and have some bad lag.
With Xbox you get better connections, and less 'gankers'. But you run into hackers and less people playing online.
With PC you get the graphics, and the great connection. Also you can mod the game to looks like how you want it to. But PC also has massive amounts of hackers, GFWL prevents most online play, and the community is almost dead.

It really boils down to which one you have the most games for. I have most of my titles for PS3 but that doesn't mean I don't value the stuff I have on the other systems.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   
I really hope my favorite is the Wii U because I just dropped $430 on one for my son and I.

And when this lousy weather is gone, the Wii can sit in here and collect dust while we are outside enjoying the fresh air and sunshine.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpearMint
Xbox 360 for a few reasons, one of them being it has the most comfortable controller in existence. I know you can connect the 360 controller to a PC but it doesn't feel the same, plus you have to spend a lot more on a PC than an Xbox to get the same results, and a lot more to get superior results. .

Wrong. Black Ops II on 360 is dumbed down badly. The resolution is sub-HD. I think 800x600 and the graphics are much lower than on a PC(even on low). You could probably build a better gaming PC for $500. And, I use my Logitech PC controller(recognized as a 360 controller), and it feels fine for games like Borderlands 2 and Batman Arkham City and Arkham Asylum. The idea that a gaming PC is much more expensive than a 360 is false.

edit on 3-3-2013 by blahxd67 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by spoonbender

PC all the way
the only thing consoles
are good for are sports games
ie. Madden

halo=joke

-cough- Halo is available for PC too -cough-

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 08:01 PM
link   

If you want to play Black Ops II you deserve nothing more. I'm not wrong though, you cannot build a gaming PC on par with a 360 for $300. You probably can't even build a 360 for $300, consoles are usually sold at a cost.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 08:03 PM
link   
PC is the only way to game. Let's face it the kiddie consoles are nice but the graphics and game play have to be geared down. So if you want to play games the way they were meant to be played PC is the way to go.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010
PC is the only way to game. Let's face it the kiddie consoles are nice but the graphics and game play have to be geared down. So if you want to play games the way they were meant to be played PC is the way to go.

Speaking of which, with the PS4, Ubisoft will be making games natively for the PC, and then porting them down to the consoles.
rather than building the games with console quality in mind and then porting over to the PC.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   
I generally prefer the PC because of two things:

1) Far superior graphics than consoles if you have a good video card.
2) Games can easily be modded. Consoles are essentially "locked down".

What we really need is an "open source" console which is essentially just a super powerful compact computer. In reality that's all a console is, a compact computer tailored for gaming. But the companies who make them lock them down so that games are harder to copy... but that also makes unofficial modding virtually impossible.

The only real advantage to consoles is that games are less glitchy and easier to run because the game creators know exactly what hardware the console has, but PC's have all sorts of different hardware and that can cause problems. Consoles can also be cheaper to buy than an equally as powerful gaming PC.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   

If that's all you care about (which is sad, but unfortunately the way things are going), will your opinion change later this year when the next gen consoles come out?

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 08:10 PM
link   

If that's all you care about (which is sad, but unfortunately the way things are going), will your opinion change later this year when the next gen consoles come out?

The next gen consoles are still only equal to current gen PC hardware. PC hardware continually evolves and becomes more powerful. Those consoles will become obsolete in a year or less.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 08:14 PM
link   

What else do you expect out of games? Graphics and game play are it. Not to mention you also get better control options. And no when the new consoles come out I still won't change my mind. Going from a good gaming PC to a console is like going from a muscle car to a Volkswagen beetle.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 08:15 PM
link   

What else do you expect out of games? Graphics and game play are it. Not to mention you also get better control options. And no when the new consoles come out I still won't change my mind. Going from a good gaming PC to a console is like going from a muscle car to a Volkswagen beetle.

Not to mention..you can't modify a console to make it beefier, while a Volkswagen Beetle is modifiable.
So in a way, a PC is kind of like a car(at this point anyways).

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by blahxd67

The next gen consoles are still only equal to current gen PC hardware. PC hardware continually evolves and becomes more powerful. Those consoles will become obsolete in a year or less.

You can't make that assumption, look at the specs on current gen consoles, they're tiny in comparison to even an average PC, yet they're able to run games not all that far (not nearly as far as PC elitists like to think) from gaming PCs. Now the next gen consoles have specs close to a decent gaming PC. A PC is a very inefficient gaming machine, consoles are optimised to be just that. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with gaming on a PC, but there's certainly nothing wrong with consoles. PC elitists should be grateful for consoles, because they wouldn't be playing the games that they play without them, they made the industry.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by blahxd67

You can't make that assumption, look at the specs on current gen consoles, they're tiny in comparison to even an average PC, yet they're able to run games not all that far (not nearly as far as PC elitists like to think) from gaming PCs. Now the next gen consoles have specs close to a decent gaming PC. A PC is a very inefficient gaming machine, consoles are optimised to be just that. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with gaming on a PC, but there's certainly nothing wrong with consoles.

Exactly. Games are held back by consoles. Consoles can run them because the games are dumbed down so they can run them. My PC can achieve a solid 70FPS in games. What can current consoles achieve? 30 and below @ sub-HD. Big difference. If these next gen consoles can run the games the same as a powerful PC...that means games are unoptimized for PCs, because of developers. If I run my games at full FPS, I can achieve many times over 150FPS. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with gaming on a console. If you want to, fine.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Xbox 360 for a few reasons, one of them being it has the most comfortable controller in existence. I know you can connect the 360 controller to a PC but it doesn't feel the same

The same controller hooked up to two different devices doesn't feel the same? Huh?

plus you have to spend a lot more on a PC than an Xbox to get the same results

You're not getting anywhere near the same results. Not even close. The graphics and processing power will always be better in gaming PC's than any console will ever be.

Why? Because consoles have to be inexpensive.

I can tell you right now, my single video card alone in my PC costs twice as much as any console. And can process more than twice as much, and on multiple monitors at the same time.

you cannot build a gaming PC on par with a 360 for $300.

With AMD's new APU's, you most certainly can now.

And speaking of AMD's new APU's:

will your opinion change later this year when the next gen consoles come out?

The PS4 is rumored to be using AMD's new APU platform. And while powerful enough for the economy gamer, it doesn't even compare to a powerful gaming PC. No console will ever come close to a gaming PC.

Further, it's far more accurate aiming in shooters with a mouse on a PC, than it is to trying aim with a control pad or joystick. That's why the hit-boxes have to be so big huge in console games. So that people can actually hit their targets. In other words, consoles are mostly for the casual gamer, for kids, and for those who can't afford gaming PC's.

Now the next gen consoles have specs close to a decent gaming PC.

I'm not sure who's feeding you this inaccurate information, but it couldn't be farther from the truth.

As already stated, the new PS4 is rumored to be using AMD's new APU which is a CPU and GPU in one unit. If you look at AMD's top of the line CPU's and GPU's, along with Intel's CPU's, the AMD APU that's going to be used in the PS4 won't come close to a powerful, top of the line gaming PC. Ever.

Instead of posting inaccurate technical information, if I were you I would go spend some time looking at benchmarks for current CPU's, GPU's, APU's, and then you might get an idea of how a console will never, ever, come close in CPU or GPU power as a gaming PC.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by SpearMint

You can't make that assumption, look at the specs on current gen consoles, they're tiny in comparison to even an average PC, yet they're able to run games not all that far (not nearly as far as PC elitists like to think) from gaming PCs.

Try playing Far Cry 3 on a console and then play it on a PC set at the highest graphics settings. There is a huge difference.

Now the next gen consoles have specs close to a decent gaming PC. A PC is a very inefficient gaming machine, consoles are optimised to be just that.

And that's exactly why I think we need an open source console design. After all a console is simply an efficient compact computer. It wouldn't be too hard to design a super compact open source console which had an open source operating system and could be retroactively upgraded as new hardware came out. That would blow normal consoles out of the water. Games could be modded and the console would hardly ever become obsolete. Just imagine that.

PC elitists should be grateful for consoles, because they wouldn't be playing the games that they play without them, they made the industry.

If consoles didn't exist computer games would still exist so I don't think that's a very valid statement. Not to mention it's the console industry which has lobbied hard to stop the development of the open source type consoles I described above. Why would anyone buy normal consoles if we had those type of superior open source consoles. They are scared of that and they should be.
edit on 3/3/2013 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join