It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Xbox temporarily bans friends account for 9/11 reference

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Okay, so a hilarious thing just happened to my friend.

He regularily plays Call of Duty Black Ops: 2 on Xbox live. In this game, you can create custom emblems using various shapes, which you can resize and color to your favor. This pretty much gives you the ability to create any image you can think of.

So, he decided to create an emblem that was a depiction of the event that unfolded on September 11, 2001. It basically showed both buildings, one with fire and smoke pouring from it, and the other with a plane in mid-impact with it. Along the side of the image was the word "FORGET". He decided to do this because he felt that since people were always exclaiming "Never Forget!", and using a crysis that occured over 11 years as justification for hatred toward muslim people, and to rationalise countless middle-eastern conflicts.

In any case, I told him it was a somewhat gutsy move, and that people would not take to kindly to doing so, but he insisted.

I guess my point is that it seems a tad too dramatic to ban his account for posting something of that nature, and I feel Microsoft is kind of over-stepping their bounds on that. However, I do realize that it is within their right to ban his account.

I am kind of wondering what the ATS community thinks about this. Frankly, I find it kind of funny.

edit on 28-1-2013 by Renegade2283 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   
As you said, Microsoft had the right to ban his account. They have the right to ban any account they want. If you want to continue playing, don't use images which may be sensitive.
I thought it was funny too, but I wouldn't do that if I expected I might get banned. Remember, Xbox Live is not real life. If you start getting banned from restaurants or gas stations because of a political or religious view, then you have the right to complain.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by trollz

Yeah, I just found it kind of odd, since they specifically state that they do not allow sexually explicit content either, and I see countless emblems depicting very obvious and dramatic sexual acts and they never get banned by doing so. Yet, when he posted that, microsoft was quick to ban his account.

In any case, after browsing over their code of conduct, I found a clause that seems to specifically relate to things of this nature funny enough.

•Don't create a gamertag, profile content, Avatar action, Avatar content, or in-game content that references controversial religious topics, notorious people, organizations, or sensitive current or historical events that may be considered inappropriate.

Source

Kind of an odd stipulation really.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   
obviously your friend did not lose a loved one in the towers on that awful day, or he would not have been telling people to " forget"....there was so much pain, hurt, and suffering with those that died, and their loved ones left wondering what happened to them. There is a reason why people say " never forget" .......and had YOU lost your parent in the towers , you would not think it was funny , you would think your friend was being disrespectful and cruel. Just put your self in the shoes of someone who lost their child, husband, mother or whomever in those towers. Think about that for a minute...and envision yourself waiting for hours and hours hoping and praying they made it alive , the gut wrenching feeling while you wait, and you would give anything to see their face one more time. ..but in the end you never see or hear from them again, and for some their bodies are never found .. ...and then some kid comes along and makes a statement telling you to forget. How would that make you feel? ..I don't think it's funny at all. He just poked a stick In wound of thousands of people , he stuck his middle finger up at all those who lost someone, and then laughed. He's a bully.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Renegade2283

Well the thing is, you probably have tons of people creating "bannable" images all the time, but Microsoft doesn't have employees watching every single game to keep an eye on it. They probably rely on people seeing something they find offensive and reporting it, and since the majority of the Xbox Live player base is young adult males, you're far less likely to get banned for sexually explicit content than a negative reference to 9/11.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   
nevermind

edit on 28-1-2013 by Veritas1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Microsoft does not give a sht about 9/11, all they just did was.... heck i would not even say Microsoft did it... lol the news probably never reached anywhere, it was probably a GM or a moderator, who looked at complains about a particular players behaviour and took actions to keep those complainers happy.

All of you thinking it was a patriot act are just delusional, they care about money, they rather ban one guy than lose 10 other people.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Meldionne1

I think you're failing to see from other possible points of view. For one, a good portion of people believe that 9/11 was a conspiracy, or an engineered event, for the purpose of initiating military action by using the emotions of the general public to fuel the desire for such. In this case, it would be perfectly understandable to have a "forget" mindset... "Forget 9/11" doesn't have to mean to forget the victims, but rather the event which may be believed to have been set up for negative purposes. People who let emotions rule their thinking are easily manipulated and are the ones who allow such things to happen.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Meldionne1
obviously your friend did not lose a loved one in the towers on that awful day, or he would not have been telling people to " forget"....there was so much pain, hurt, and suffering with those that died, and their loved ones left wondering what happened to them.

All the more reason to forget. I think he more meant move on already, but that wouldn't fit.

There is a reason why people say " never forget" .......and had YOU lost your parent in the towers , you would not think it was funny , you would think your friend was being disrespectful and cruel.

Well, I did not think the events of 9/11 were funny in any way, trust me, I have shed many tears on reliving the event through youtube and such. What I found funny was that he got banned fo doing so. Trust me, I didn't really support his emblem.

and then some kid comes along and makes a statement telling you to forget.

Once again, he was referring to forgetting the event itself, not the love ones that were lost. They are the ones that should never be forgotten IMO.

How would that make you feel?

I wouldn't really mind, it is not like he would have directed the statement at me. Or, at least I wouldn't have thought so, can't speak for everyone though.

He just poked a stick In wound of thousands of people , he stuck his middle finger up at all those who lost someone, and then laughed. He's a bully.

Okay, now that is a tad dramatic.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by trollz

since the majority of the Xbox Live player base is young adult males, you're far less likely to get banned for sexually explicit content than a negative reference to 9/11.

I get what you are saying.

ETA: Just wanted to say that your Signature is hilarious as well.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream
All of you thinking it was a patriot act are just delusional, they care about money, they rather ban one guy than lose 10 other people.

Yeah, I figured as much. Geesh, this is in the "Geneal Chit chat" section for a reason. If I saw ANY connection to this being a conspiracy, it would have gone in the "General conspiracies" section. Heck, I almost considered putting it in the Jokes and puns section.

I was more trying to see if any one saw the comedy in this that I did.

reply to post by trollz

Somebody gets it, thank you for that.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   

One thing, who really reads all that fine print any way in those "agreements"??? Seriously...

I don't see why they can't send a warning first demanding them to remove it and then if the person fails to comply, then ban them.

Just my two cents worth....

---------------

ETA: We have turned into a touchy feely society now a days, have to be "politically correct"

edit on 28-1-2013 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Haha, dude, i guess my post tone seems like i was serious but no lol. i was just referencing to people saying "he deserved it " and all the doom and gloom about 9/11.... like Microsoft is some sort of saviour lol

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   
It doesn't matter what conspiracy people believe happened.....people died, and your friend just stuck his middle finger up at that. Obviously Microsoft thought it was not funny either , as he got banned. ...the ironic thing is that your friend INSISTED on that emblem because he thought it was cool. Well...look where that got him. ....as for microsoft, ...they do believe in money , but I also wouldn't be surprised if the person/mod that banned him has lost someone in the twin towers .

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by snarky412

Yeah, I thought that they should have the decency to do that as well. However, they have another clause that gives them that right as well.

Microsoft reserves the right to remove at any time, without notice, any user-created content from the Services. Microsoft reserves the right to immediately terminate or suspend a user for violations.

Source

Microsoft is pretty harsh if you ask me.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

Ah, I see. My bad, I totally misinterprited that then. I was just a little agitated at the harsh responses by that other member, and I thought you were jumping on that bandwagon too. No worries then.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I do agree that they should have given him a warning first .....but...it's their rules.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   

your friend just stuck his middle finger up at that.

Okay, if that is what you want to think. I dont think that was his intent, but you are entitled to your opinions.

the ironic thing is that your friend INSISTED on that emblem because he thought it was cool.

He didn't think it was cool. He also doesn't think it is cool that muslim people suffer such descrimination and hatred for something they don't have anything to do with.

but I also wouldn't be surprised if the person/mod that banned him has lost someone in the twin towers .

Funny enough, I thought that exact same thing.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Renegade2283
reply to post by snarky412

Yeah, I thought that they should have the decency to do that as well. However, they have another clause that gives them that right as well.

Microsoft reserves the right to remove at any time, without notice, any user-created content from the Services. Microsoft reserves the right to immediately terminate or suspend a user for violations.

Source

Microsoft is pretty harsh if you ask me.

Like I said, who reads the fine print???

We sure don't.......but we kinda know pretty much the do's and dont's so to speak.
Every time they do an up-date, you have to click on the " agreement" other wise it won't log on.
And yeah, we're guilty of not reading all of it.

edit on 28-1-2013 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   

It doesn't matter what conspiracy people believe happened.....people died, and your friend just stuck his middle finger up at that.

Being upset about people dying is never more important than understanding why they died.
It DOES matter. It matters a hell of a lot.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join