It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

People need to be more conceited / self-interested... Wake up! (I make some good points!)

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by AthlonSavage

Maybe you do not understand...

Oh well, I tried.

Hopefully this will help others in someway.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Maybe you do not understand...

Oh well, I tried.

Hopefully this will help others in someway.

No one can understand you because your communicate through the Mirror, and its a Mirror of conceited egomania!

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 07:13 AM
link   

You can sit there with the frown on your face looking at your own frown in the mirror calling me "conceited " for smiling in mine or you can simply smile in yours...

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

You can sit there with the frown on your face looking at your own frown in the mirror calling me "conceited " for smiling in mine or you can simply smile in yours...

Ok will call this a draw because although your logic is annoyinglly loopy at times it also at times makes me smile. Night!!

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 07:21 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

You do show which side you support very well. You turned good into evil, and evil into good.

You say it is good not to help othersto show them love and compassion, when it is evil. God says to help those in need especially the widows, orphans, and poor. You say it is good to attack others, when it is evil. God says to turn the other cheek. That has gotten me a lot further than attacking someone. People can change, but they can't change when all they know is to attack or be attacked.

I'm reading your own words. Your idea to help someone is to leave them alone to pull themselves up wether they can or not. Reading inbetween the lines, for you to help anyone they would already have to be in dire need. By then, any help would probably already be too late.

By attacking others, being self-centered, not helping others in need, or helping others by leaving them alone is creating a survival of the fittest situation. The only love desirved is loved earned by your socialital contribution. People are driven apart in that type of society not brought together. That type of society would lead us down the path to 1984 and brave new world.

Havn't you ever heard the story of the sticks? I'm not a good story teller, so I'll have to paraphrase. A person goes up to a wise man, and asks to be taught a lesson. The wise man hands the person a stick, and tells him to try to break it. The person easily breaks the stick. Then the wise man hands a bundle of sticks to the man, and says try to break them. The man trys to break the bundle of sticks, but couldn't. Then the wise man says where one alone will fail a group will not. There is strength in numbers.

I know the story basically ends there. A group is only strong when there is a mentality of trust, helpfulness, and coheasion. A group where members believe love is to attack others when one attacks you, and not to help others to make them strong is not going to do well. It only works with the military with strict punishments were you can't leave until your contract is up. Those people put themselves in the military. The rest of us basically don't want that type of life.

I'm for self-defense if the attack is life threatening. If all the attacker has ever known is to attack or be attacked, then how are they to know there is another way? How will they ever be able to trust anyone to tell anyone what the root of the problem is? It is very hard to get someone to open up with all they believe is everyone is out to get me. That person is extremely defensive, and will attack verbally and sometimes physically towards those whom he thinks is attacking them.

There is always hope, and I personally witnessed a change in someone with that type of mentality. That person and I are now very close. That person knocked me down physically a couple of times. I never knocked down that person. Not to attack back is extremely hard to do. I admit there were times I tried to attack back, but it did no good, and it took awhile for the other person to get past that. I never gave up on that person when others would have. Sometimes people get mean because they have been attacked often by others. It doesn't matter who started the conflict, what matters is the emotional damage left behind by those attacks.

I'll take God's words and ways outlined in the Bible over your thoughts and ways any day.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Mystery_Lady

Bravo Mystery Lady

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by arpgme

Well if you don't want someone else pulling out your tooth, don't pull out their's.
edit on 28-12-2012 by arpgme because: (no reason given)

Matthew 5:38-39 NIV

You have heard that it was said, 'Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth. But I (Jesus) tell you, Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also.

Matthew 5:44 KJV

But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them who despitefully use you, and persecute you;

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mystery_Lady
Do not resist an evil person.

As in "Don't Feed the Trolls" - especially the ones who start threads like this.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Mystery_Lady

You say it is good to attack others, when it is evil. God says to turn the other cheek. That has gotten me a lot further than attacking someone.

Um, actually it was from the bible that I got "an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth".

I'm reading your own words. Your idea to help someone is to leave them alone to pull themselves up wether they can or not.

Well, if you want to help them, then do so. Nothing is stopping you. I was not saying "do not help anyone at all" I was saying if anything, help them to be independent so they won't have to keep depending on you. They can be free to help themselves - independent.

That type of society would lead us down the path to 1984 and brave new world.

Wasn't 1984 the one where there was no FREEDOM and INDIVIDUALITY? If we keep heading down THIS path, we will end up in 1984's society. No freedom, complete dependency being manipulated for control, no individuality, just collectivism controlled.

...where one alone will fail a group will not. There is strength in numbers.

Sure, there is groups in numbers. A group can over power others and force them to conform to their beliefs.

A group where members believe love is to attack others when one attacks you, and not to help others to make them strong is not going to do well. It only works with the military with strict punishments were you can't leave until your contract is up. Those people put themselves in the military. The rest of us basically don't want that type of life.

But "that" type of life is reality. What are you gonna do, allow a person to keep attacking you without taking any response? You already said you would contact the authorities, that in itself IS taking a respond. Forgiving would be allowing them to keep attacking you without doing anything.

And I did not say do not help others at ALL, if you will help them, I would suggest helping them to be INDEPENDENT so they can be FREE and not depending on YOU all the time.

If all the attacker has ever known is to attack or be attacked, then how are they to know there is another way?

Easy, do not attack and you there will be no retaliation. Do not start fights and you can stay away from the drama.

There is always hope, and I personally witnessed a change in someone with that type of mentality.

Well then that person fell back asleep from reality.

reply to post by Trexter Ziam

Originally posted by Trexter Ziam

Do not resist an evil person.

As in "Don't Feed the Trolls" - especially the ones who start threads like this.

"Do not judge, lest ye be judged" - The bible was right on that point, sometimes it can lead to false assumptions....

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Ok will call this a draw because although your logic is annoyinglly loopy at times it also at times makes me smile. Night!!

I gave you chance to bail out of this and what do i see you doing reloading the cannons....sheesk!!!!!

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Statements were said with inaccuracies and I responded.

It is that simple.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Statements were said with inaccuracies and I responded.

It is that simple.

Ok i caught you with your hand in the cookie jar ...ill take that explanation. Now please let this one go its not good for beauty in the mirror.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by AthlonSavage
Ok i caught you with your hand in the cookie jar ...ill take that explanation. Now please let this one go its not good for beauty in the mirror.

By saying "let this one go its not good for the beauty in the mirror" are you implying that I am somehow angered or not as happy as before?

Love is way stronger than negativities. The love and confidence has to come from within, then it is yours to keep.

I choose to see myself and you all as powerful beings. If you think that is "conceited" you are free to see your self as imperfection if you wish to do so...

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

I choose to see you all as powerful beings. If you think that is "conceited" you are free to see your self as imperfection if you wish to do so...

Im perfect baby...this thread well must be honest......its not that hot on showing how beautiful you really are.
edit on 28-12-2012 by AthlonSavage because: A perfect pain that is

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

S&F for balls.

Everything is valid sometimes.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Well if you don't want someone else pulling out your tooth, don't pull out their's.

You presuppose that the one "pulling out your tooth" is the victim. Your OP is essencially returning evil for evil and calling that good.

"Retaliation is love"

re·tal·i·a·tion/rɪˌtæl iˈeɪ ʃən/ Show Spelled [ri-tal-ee-ey-shuh n]
noun
the act of retaliating; return of like for like; reprisal.

Retaliation is not justice...it is revenge

jus·tice/ˈdʒʌs tɪs/ Show Spelled [juhs-tis]
1. the quality of being just; righteousness, equitableness, or moral rightness: to uphold the justice of a cause.
2. rightfulness or lawfulness, as of a claim or title; justness of ground or reason: to complain with justice.
3. the moral principle determining just conduct.
4. conformity to this principle, as manifested in conduct; just conduct, dealing, or treatment.
5. the administering of deserved punishment or reward.

So, lets get back to your OP. People should be more conceited and service to self. Well, being conceited means you have a favorible opinon of your own superiority. At the same time allowing someone weaker (by lack knowledge or ability) to fail. In other words, your OP suggest people should set back smugly and stand by while a weaker person is dominated or exploited by a stronger one. Looks kind of ugly when placed in those terms, doesn't it? What those comments suggest, is to perpetuated a cycle of violence and victimization. It's a means to withhold the ability to educate and enact change within the world. This philosophy is barbaric, unsupported by reason, logic, and common sense. It proceeds down the slippery slope which invariablely lead to sinister ramifications. This "twisted reasoning" as another poster put it, dehumanizes and deteriorates society over all.

One should think of forgiveness as not a form of weakness, but a strength. First off, the act of forgiveness helps to preserve ones own humanity and principles which guide their life. It also shows the ability to empathise with others. Forgiveness does not aborgate justice, but by nature is a rejection of evil.

It is the rejection of evil that makes life tolerable to navigate: not a smiley face, not ignoring reality, and not bathing in an ocean of ignorance.

There's really not much more to be said. /thread

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 08:10 AM
link   
according to the OP, our prison system should be turning out some fine human beings by the thousands by now.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Just in case there is any misunderstandings, let me make some things clear...

There's a reason I said "self-interested" instead of "self-ISH"...

I am NOT talking about being apathetic towards others. I'm simply talking about staying focused on self. Not, being in-compassionate to others or putting people down to feel better about yourself. In fact, if you love yourself there is no need to put others down..

I believe that "loving" ourselves instead of feeling "self-pity" will influence others for the better...

Your mood affects the memories and thoughts you will be thinking about and thus will affect how you communicate with others. By loving yourself, you may just influence others for the better instead of keeping their mood down as well....

I am NOT against helping others, I need to clarify this...

You can help people sure. I am not against that. I am against helping people WITHOUT helping them to be independent because I don't want to see putting having to live through another person I want to see them strong and capable. I know sometimes people just need help, I will not deny that and it is good to help others, but it is even better if you can help them to be independent.

Give a man a fish, they eat for a day, teach a man to fish and they can keep eating..

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by LittleBlackEagle

Originally posted by LittleBlackEagle
according to the OP, our prison system should be turning out some fine human beings by the thousands by now.

Good point.

I would say this though:

If person does not love themselves, maybe they'll try to devalue others in order to feel better about themselves. When you love yourself, there is no reason to devalue others, even if they say negative things about you, because it will not affect you that much (in regards to name calling, etc).

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Then you misread the Bible. There are those who say Jesus said an eye for and eye and a tooth for a tooth. That is taken way out of context. What Jesus said You have heard that it was said an eye for an eye and tooth for a tooth.

The eye for an eye and tooth for a tooth mentaility was practiced way before Jesus came onto the scene. His message to do the exact oppsite was radical, had heads scratching, and probablly offensive to some. They were life changing, and breathed a new life into society. He showed the people what it was to truly love.

He actually practiced what he preached. He never attacked or denfended himself from the time he was arrested to the time he died on the cross. He never said a mean word, but took the punches, hair pulling, crown of thorns, the whip, abuse, and more. Technically what was done to him no man should have survived, and there were several times he should have died before he got to the cross.

Helping a person to be independent when they can do so is good. What about all the people for whatever reason can not become independent? As a species, we need each other to survive. Being independent is good to a point. We still and always will need others. We can not do everything by ourselves. Some people can become so independent that they will refuse any help even when it is needed. They would let the problem go and get worse rather than accepting help. Your opening post it really sounded you were taking it to the other extreme, to let the problem go and help only after it got worse.

Which society would more easily fall into a collectivism controlled environment? A society where people worked as a group, trust in each other, and gain strength in bonds they created with each other? Or a society that is aloof with each other because they are more concerned about themselves than anything else, their idea of help actually pushes people away from each other, and hardly any bonds are created between people? I say a society were people push each other away as in the one you suggested in your opening post.

A group that has bonded together, that doesn't force people to conform, and doesn't use their force to over power others is even stronger.

I'm glad I don't know the type of reality you live in. In my reality, people don't attack each other in the name of love, or not help each other in the name of love. I wouldn't have it any other way. I help people, and others have helped me as it should be. Giving hearts and giving souls are strong.

I have been attacked, done nothing, and forgiven many a time. I have seen the heart and mind changed. Have you ever witnessed that?

Why do you think being dependant equals freeloading?

"Easy, do not attack and you there will be no retaliation."

Sometimes much easier said than done, especially when you didn't start it in the first place.

"Well then that person fell back asleep from reality."

No, that person finally woke up to reality.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join