It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Buddy, Can you spare a job?"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Mods: if this is posted in the wrong forum, please move.

Those of you who know me well, know that I don't often post. I usually read tons of threads, but comment only when I really have something to say, that hasn't already been said.

This thread, for me, is something I have to write. It isn't about what the Presidential debates were about. It isn't about what the UN is doing this week. It isn't about the frays in the Middle East and it isn't about terrorism.

What it is about is the state of our country's people. The you's and me's, who are not the wealthy. It is about those who have toiled all their lives to obtain the goals they have set for themselves, often falling short, but always getting up and trying again until age, illness or death halt our efforts.

Today, I went to the grocery store. I had put this off for several days, because I didn't have the money. I had budgeted what I was going to buy, down to the penny. Even pennies seem hard to hold on to these days. Heaven help me, when nickles are the lowest denomination.

I was able to get some great bargains, even exceeding my best hopes, today. I was proud of myself for stretching those dollars so well. I loaded the groceries into the car, and started home.

As I inched forward towards the traffic light, I noticed a man on the side with a sign. I am no stranger to people who panhandle. Although I live in a small area now where it isn't common, I once lived in the LA area where Panhandler's are a frequent and mostly ignored site. I always look anyway.

This time, I saw someone who was not the norm.

The man was tall, mid 40's, looked healthy (not like the usual druggie looking for a handout), dressed in functional labor type clothing. He was clean, not clean shaven. Beside him sat a military type rucksack. He was holding up a sign. It read "DOWN ON MY LUCK. NEED WORK"

He stood there as the traffic went by, in the warm sunshine, with the sign held chest high, and his chin drooped towards his chest. As I drove past him, he didn't even look up to meet my eye. He looked emotionally whipped, with very little or no hope of a response.

I moved thru the intersection, by the time I reached the other side, I was in tears. I had a total of 12 cents left in my pocket. I knew it would be an insult to even offer that. But that wasn't what my spirit was telling me. What moved thru my heart and mind was, this man has all but given up. He is beaten down, but he is still trying to help himself. He wasn't asking for money (the usual request), or food ( travelers and vagabonds frequently do around here), he was asking for a way to meet his needs and keep his self respect, WORK.

I knew I had nothing like that that I could offer him. But I decided to give him something else. I turned my car around and approached the intersection again. He had left the corner. I scanned the area and saw him walking to a grassy drainage area.

I pulled up and said, "Sir"
"Yes, ma'am?" And he approached the car, but stopped a bit back. He looked me in the eye, but still looked beaten.
"I saw you on the corner, you have no reason whatsoever to hang your head. You are trying to find work. I am sorry I don't have anything to offer you, but food. Are you hungry?"
He looked at me more closely. He saw the tears streaming down my cheeks. He said, "No ma'am." And smiled a big smile. "I am allright."
"Well, I wanted to make sure you had something to eat, if you needed it. It is all I have to offer. God Bless you."
He smiled again, with his head a bit higher and said, "Thank you." And extended his hand, with a firm hand shake and a smile, head high, he turned and went back to his ruck sack on the ground.

I didn't give him a damn thing, except the concern I felt for him in my heart. Yet he looked like he had received a valuable gift.

I am a grown woman, who has had highs and lows in her life. Right now, financially I am at a definite low. However, I do have the means to provide for my family, even if sometimes things are a bit shaky money wise. At one time, I was making a darn good income, had a successful career, and money to burn, more or less. Not anymore. Ill health took everything, but my life and my family.

I have seen quite a few Presidential administrations in my life, Republican and Democrat. I have seen gas prices go up and down. I have seen a lot.

In the past few years, however, I have watched everyone I know struggle more and more just to make ends meet. I have seen many, like me, who have eliminated most "pleasure" spending because essentials take it all. Now I am seeing scenes which replicate the post depression years. The homeless, the jobless, the hungry. And it is multiplying.

To me this says: WRONG DIRECTION. These things must change.

It is not enough to keep struggling to make ends meet, when you don't even have the means to struggle. It is not enough to have a food bank hand out when it is given out once a month per household. It is not enough to give up almost everything you own, and wander from place to place and still not find work. It is not enough.

This is my newest first step to making that change. I may only be able to speak out and say, "This is enough. It has to change. I am looking for ways to change it!" and tender my vote at the polls. But those things I am and will be doing.

How about you?

BT

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I just wanted to say "Thank You!" for posting this. My heart broke while reading it.

I have to say, then I got angry. Really angry.
Why?
Because this man, is trying. He obviously wants to work. Yet I just today, took a picture, of the bosses son SLEEPING at his bleeping desk. This is the second time!!!!!!!!!!!

And nothing will be done about this lazy piece of crap. While someone who would be grateful to have his job and actually do it, goes without.

Isn't this country great?????

edit on 24-10-2012 by chiefsmom because: sp

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by chiefsmom

I feel the same way. The anger is burning along with the sadness at the state of our country.

There are always those who hold their jobs through nepotism. It has always been that way. Also, at any given time, there are those who are unemployed.

What really gets me, is that there are lots of people who want to work, who are accepting part time, low wage jobs just to eat. Nothing wrong with that until you find out that they had been working full time with benefits and through no fault of their own they were layed off.

There is much more to this picture than just unemployment. Our entire economical way of life is becoming extinct. Most people just haven't realized it yet.

BT

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I never noticed it as much as since I moved to portland.

I moved from Riverside County ca, which had a 12% unemployment rate.

Portland has a 7%.

Now in portland there is mass amount of people on every corner with a sign, not asking for work, but asking for a hand out.

All looking able bodied and young, its funny how much I see it here, more than I have seen it in other cities Ive been in...

When I first moved here I was feeling a bit depressed by the sight of so many "homeless" and needy people, I was moving up and had a moving truck full of furniture that needed moving.

SO feeling like I wanted to help, I stopped at every one of these needy people on the side of the road, and Asked them if they would like to help me move for 20 bucks.

I must of asked about 5 of these needy people, everyone of them turned me down, some with various excuses, one was honest.

He said.

"Sir I get more than that standing on the side of the road in an hour, no thank you"...

Well, not everyone that holds a sign is needy, some are, a lot are not.

I know we are in hard times, I am not denying that, I just find it hard to have sympathy, too many people are abusing peoples trust and playing on the sympathies of others.

I myself am taking in a friend who he and his wife are almost destitute to help them out, I know he is struggling, but I also know he is trying to better himself.

So we are lending him and his wife a room in our new home rent free while he looks for work up here, Funny thing hes not even up here yet and already has a few offers for jobs.

They aren't what he was doing before (CADD manager for an architectural firm) they are simple retail jobs, BUT hes willing to do them to try and better his situation.

I just find it funny in a city with so many "homeless" or "needy" people, my friend has gotten offers with out even being here.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

I, like you, have been used to the kind of panhandler who likes the free hand out. They make a living off of it. A friend of mine once told me he could collect a couple hundred dollars a day pan handling. I was appalled. He is perfectly healthy and could work if he wanted, but like the person you mentioned, his attitude was, "why should I?"

What I am seeing here, now, is true desperation. I took my disabled brother to the local food bank, last month, because his SSI ran out before the month did. The place was packed. They only serve the indigent and the disabled there. It was a wake up call for me. This was just one day, in an hour's time. They are open four days a week for six hours. And as I said in my above post, they provide approximately one weeks supply of food basics, no frills. And you can only get it once a month.

If this is happening in our small community, on this large a basis, what is happening nation wide?

It scares me.

BT

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by BearTruth
reply to post by benrl

I, like you, have been used to the kind of panhandler who likes the free hand out. They make a living off of it. A friend of mine once told me he could collect a couple hundred dollars a day pan handling. I was appalled. He is perfectly healthy and could work if he wanted, but like the person you mentioned, his attitude was, "why should I?"

What I am seeing here, now, is true desperation. I took my disabled brother to the local food bank, last month, because his SSI ran out before the month did. The place was packed. They only serve the indigent and the disabled there. It was a wake up call for me. This was just one day, in an hour's time. They are open four days a week for six hours. And as I said in my above post, they provide approximately one weeks supply of food basics, no frills. And you can only get it once a month.

If this is happening in our small community, on this large a basis, what is happening nation wide?

It scares me.

BT

Look at the great depression, we are not there just yet, that's what could happen.

It may very well be on the horizon, what with droughts and farm shortages.

The key is helping who you can, when you can, and doing it in a way that gets the best value out of the help.

Live communally would be my answer, help out those in your community, create a network of support.

My wife if she could would hand out money to everyone with a sign, but thats not the answer.

Id rather give my time to a local food bank, or donate there, than try to help every desperate person on the corner.

The sad truth is many people at that local food bank you went to could very well be able bodied people leeching benefits from people that really need it.

Whats the answer, I don't know, but welfare reform in this country could be a start.

Education probably would be a better place to start, It may not help the current situation but its a better long term solution.

Work training programs, work for food programs, things of that nature for those capable or willing to better themselves.

The sad truth is many do not even have that desire, and at what point do we as a society continue to enable?

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

I do not disagree with anything you said.

What I will add, and why I am concerned, is: I am watching people I know personally sink economically because of what is happening economically in our country.

We all have ups and downs. But things like cut hours, lost benefits, and closing companies are not easily remedied by the workforce. These things are occurring due to the status of our economy and are wide spread. My husband received a 50 cent an hour increase in July. He was also told, that due to the state of insurance benefits and cost, and the government "Obamacare" plan that was passed, his company was dropping ALL insurance programs, health, life and other. Then in August, they reduced all hours for all employees.

He now is receiving half the income he received before his raise, and has absolutely NO insurance coverage. The cost of replacing his health insurance alone would be in excess of $400 per month, just to cover him. An expense we cannot afford, due to his decreased hours. And, there is no job available that would pay more, or give him more hours with his training and education. Moving is not an option, we do not have the funds to do so.

So.... we cinched in our belts, and are doing without. With both of our incomes, we are making it, but by no means confortably. We are one payday or illness away from potential disaster.

BT

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Labor and technology will always be in conflict when the only concern is the pursuit of profit.

I can understand why things are the way they are,but something has to be done about the situation here in the U.S..

Maybe it's time to rethink,maybe put a bridle on capitalism,to leave space for people to live their lives with dignity.

I have been laid off,or unemployed for 4 out of the last 10 years,and am seriously underemployed now.

I WILL be homeless by next summer,but have been before,and know what to do.

I would appreciate it if my means to help myself was not being taken away,I have always worked,but there are just no reasonable paying jobs compared to the cost of living.

I could work myself to death for little or nothing,and just can't see the point in it,

All I want is fair compensation for my labor,I don't really care what the job is.

The people in control are wrong,not me.

Anyway.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by MyHappyDogShiner

I agree with you.

I respect you for continuing to work and try.

I also agree that changes must be made. This system as it stands is not working for anyone but those at the top. And I am not talking about 1% vs 99 %. I am talking about the top where all the profits filter up to. Those of us who provide the labor get pittance for the most part.

BT

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by MyHappyDogShiner
The people in control are wrong,not me.

I was rereading the thread and the replys. This statement really jumped out at me. It is the absolute truth. Most of us work to the grave to try to keep what we are allowed by our governments to accrue.

In this day and time, big business and government decide every aspect of our lives. Some may disagree with this statement, but think about it.

The water we drink is regulated and in many places is considered owned by some company or designated area.

The food we eat, because most of us do not grow our own, is owned by the mass food growers whose manipulations in conjunction with the stock market food futures, inflate the prices.

The air we breath, we are made to feel guilty about, just for living. We pollute it to destruction they say, when, I believe, industry pollutes more than we humans do, and our own earth spews more methane and sulphur gas than you can imagine.

The wages we earn and pay taxes on usually up front before we receive them, and which are required to purchase just about everything we need in our lives, is subject to taxation again(on the interest) if it grows because of wise investments, or you have been frugal and amassed a huge fortune and pass it on to your heirs.

I have even heard that they are considering a regulation for our used items, rhat we won't be able to sell things that have been copyrighted or patented without permission from the original producers. WHAT? They charge a premium fee for the new product. Once it is used it is no longer new. It is ours. But perhaps not, perhaps they only sell us the right to use it.

And finally (though by no means the end of the list) our bodies. We are being regulated as to how we can feed, clothe and care for our own bodies, up to and including our right to accept or reject medical care and/or die.

The more you think about it the more bizarre it gets.

Are we not born as natural citizens, beings if you will, of our own Earth. Do we have fewer rights than the animals who occupy this Earth with us. What drives mankind to push and torment their fellow man where survival is concerned. And why do the privileged begrudge the lesser blessed the fruits of their own labors?

I think this is enough for one day, going in to two. Thank you for the responses. They have definitely fueled my considerations.

BT

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 03:40 AM
link   
I have a job, and am busting my ass to be the best employee I can be.

I barely make ends meet and am desperately trying to save for a car, and get my gas turned back on before winter hits.

A losing battle, but no reason to five up.

Stuck as a temp because the temp agencies are parasites keeping me from a full time position.

Anyway,

I beg and beg my boss for overtime.
I tell him I would be willing to train for other positions and work over 70 hours a week so I can get back on top.
Everytime they tell me they'll see what they can do, and no response no matter how much I pry.

Yet this other guy is SOAKING up the overtime, does half the work I do and brags how he watches ESPN while he is working.

I just answered my own problem, I need to look for a new job.

Yet it is near impossible to find a job that isn't through a temp agency willing to put me through the same crap.
Promising me a job soon while they plan to get rid of me.

Temp agencies should be outlawed!
I haven't had medical insurance in a LONG time.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 03:44 AM
link   
Another thing about wages in this country.

Whether you make a lot of money or not enough, there is not one job in this country that gets paid what it should.

Whether you are a factory worker, fire fighter or Professional Athlete of any sort, you do not get paid what you should.

It's either too much or not enough.

And Romney wants to make rich people get taxed less.
What a Joke!

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 05:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by RothchildRancor
Another thing about wages in this country.

Whether you make a lot of money or not enough, there is not one job in this country that gets paid what it should.

Whether you are a factory worker, fire fighter or Professional Athlete of any sort, you do not get paid what you should.

It's either too much or not enough.

And Romney wants to make rich people get taxed less.
What a Joke!

There is one job which pays well - Politics!

Politicians don't get laid off, they are paid PLENTY O' MONEY. They live in luxury whilst making it their priority to plunge everyone else into destitution.The only requirements needed to fulfil this job is greed, deceitfulness, and a sociopathic, criminal mentality.

Politicians don't want to make our countries a better place for citizens to live, they don't care about us 'plebs - they just want us to work ourselves to death for a wage no-one can live on, whilst they and their rich friends reap the rewards of slave labour.

We should insist that politicians are paid in line with the rest of the nation's workforce, no free luxurious mansion homes, no all-expenses paid trips, etc. They should live on the minimum wage which they have dictated the rest of the workforce should live on.

When they talk the talk, we should force them to walk the walk.

JAK

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 05:45 AM
link   
reply to post by BearTruth

Where there is sorrow:

Where there is sorrow there is holy ground. Some day people will realise what that means. They will know nothing of life till they do, - and natures like his can realise it.

When I was brought down from my prison to the Court of Bankruptcy, between two policemen, - waited in the long dreary corridor that, before the whole crowd, whom an action so sweet and simple hushed into silence, he might gravely raise his hat to me, as, handcuffed and with bowed head, I passed him by. Men have gone to heaven for smaller things than that.

It was in this spirit, and with this mode of love, that the saints knelt down to wash the feet of the poor, or stooped to kiss the leper on the cheek. I have never said one single word to him about what he did. I do not know to the present moment whether he is aware that I was even conscious of his action. It is not a thing for which one can render formal thanks in formal words. I store it in the treasure-house of my heart. I keep it there as a secret debt that I am glad to think I can never possibly repay. It is embalmed and kept sweet by the myrrh and cassia of many tears. When wisdom has been profitless to me, philosophy barren, and the proverbs and phrases of those who have sought to give me consolation as dust and ashes in my mouth, the memory of that little, lovely, silent act of love has unsealed for me all the wells of pity: made the desert blossom like a rose, and brought me out of the bitterness of lonely exile into harmony with the wounded, broken, and great heart of the world.
~ Oscar Wilde

More than once I have been in the position where the smallest act of kindness has left me with a debt I can never hope to repay and I carry each of these moments with me forever as the most treasured experiences life can give and an example of the nobility of mankind.

I didn't give him a damn thing, except the concern I felt for him in my heart. Yet he looked like he had received a valuable gift.

Gifts such as this are rare indeed, I have only ever seen a few and consider myself privileged more than I deserve to have seen so many; they are unequal in power, awesome in potency and yet so beautifully and frighteningly delicate. They are beyond value BearTruth, this is what you gave to another.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 06:38 AM
link   

reply to post by benrl

My husband received a 50 cent an hour increase in July. He was also told, that due to the state of insurance benefits and cost, and the government "Obamacare" plan that was passed, his company was dropping ALL insurance programs, health, life and other. Then in August, they reduced all hours for all employees.

I believe this will become the norm. I have tried to warn those I knew who were in support of Obamacare, of the impending horrors as a result of it passing. Under the guise of providing health care for the 30 million or so uninsured (which it doesn't do) it will leave in it's wake millions more uninsured. The previously insured but now (or soon to be) uninsured under Obamacare, in conjunction with the massive reduction in employment hours, will be yet another sweeping wave demolishing our independence and creating a worse case scenario. I have tried to tell people until I am blue in the face and they just don’t get it.

Your story brought a tear to my eye. Thank you for the poke in the heart.

edit on 26-10-2012 by Gridrebel because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 06:48 AM
link   

What moved thru my heart and mind was, this man has all but given up. He is beaten down, but he is still trying to help himself. He wasn't asking for money or food, he was asking for a way to meet his needs and keep his self respect, WORK.

That was a very good story Bear. It's obvious you have a good heart, so with all due respect the first thing that comes to mind when I see stories like this is "The Grapes of Wrath". If there's no work in the area where you live, go somewhere else to get work. If the unemployment rate in your area in 15%, that means the employment rate is 85%. If you were trained in a specialized field and it's unrealistic to expect to find that kind of work where you're at, either go to where it is available or find something else. Go to your public library and look on the computer for jobs. It's free. There are plenty of places you can go to find work that doesn't cost money.

People get beaten down and lose hope when all they do is focus on the negatives. Sorry, but even in these hard times there are far more positives then negatives. My advice is to turn off the news and quit paying attention to the media telling you the sky is falling. If the people you associate with do nothing but complain about the state of things while they're on the way to the bank to cash their unemployment check, find different people to associate with. You know what the difference is between someone standing on a street corner with a sign and someone collecting unemployment? Nothing. They're both expecting someone to give them something. You want work, money and self respect? Go out and actively find what you're looking for. It is out there.

Instead of standing on a corner with a sign that says "Give me help", stand on a corner and ask passersby how THEY found work. Call businesses or job recruiting centers and ask for tips to help you find work. You're not going to find it in the unemployment line. Take the constructive advice of people who have what you want and do some of things they did in order to get it.. And while you're at it, watch "The Pursuit of Happyness". Because really, if you're unemployed in an area with an 85% employment rate, you need help finding work. Being able bodied is one thing, being in the mindset to actually find the work that's out there is obviously another.

edit on 26-10-2012 by Taupin Desciple because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Taupin Desciple

It’s called sacrifice. During the great depression, men would leave their families and go wherever the work was. Too many people won't let go and do what needs to be done. They don't need to in many cases because they can get what they need from the government, right at home. Some people are still able to pay their house payment and don't want to lose their last asset. Some people don't have the funds to move. There are all types of reasons and excuses. But the bottom line is, people don't have what it takes to pull themselves up and be proactive in their own lives. Not mentally or psychologically. We have lost our dignity and pride. We have traded "drive and thrive" for "let go and let gov". It's more than pathetic, weak........there aren't enough synonyms to describe it. I remember feeling sad for people in other countries for being in the exact same situation we are now in, how ironic. Not only is it demoralizing our attitude, people are embracing it en masse. It’s a cancer that is spreading and it’s spreading fast, consuming every strand of independence. Our comfort zone has become an entitlement paid for and supported not by our own efforts, but those of others.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by doobydoll

We should insist that politicians are paid in line with the rest of the nation's workforce, no free luxurious mansion homes, no all-expenses paid trips, etc. They should live on the minimum wage which they have dictated the rest of the workforce should live on.

When they talk the talk, we should force them to walk the walk.

I couldn't agree with you more. How long do you think it would take them to level the playing field if they had to fight fairly? lol

BT

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by JAK
reply to post by BearTruth

Gifts such as this are rare indeed, I have only ever seen a few and consider myself privileged more than I deserve to have seen so many; they are unequal in power, awesome in potency and yet so beautifully and frighteningly delicate. They are beyond value BearTruth, this is what you gave to another.

JAK, I appreciate those words, more than you may know. I also have received more than I deserve. I have always fought for those who were down, but never have I felt it was enough. That man felt he received a gift, but so did I. The change in his demeanor was priceless to me. The connection...I cannot even describe.

Thank you

BT

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gridrebel

Your story brought a tear to my eye. Thank you for the poke in the heart.

It is comforting to find a connection with so many other people. I, too, have been trying to tell those I care about what we are facing. They truly don't understand it, and won't until we are embroiled in the midst of dispair. Then I fear they will blame anyone but themselves. We have to care about our fellow men and the paths they are forced to walk, because one day we may have to walk it also.

BT

top topics

<<   2 >>

join