It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What can you contribute?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   
If the SHTF, what skill/knowledge would you have that would make you a valuable asset to your community/family?

I ask this because I would like to know what skills I am lacking that I haven't thought about yet. I work in water treatment. I know how to get water and purify it by a couple of different means. That would be my go to skill. I also enjoy gardening, have a big lot in a small town with many fruit trees/bushes and quite a lot of heirloom seeds.
I know the one place I am lacking is in hunting. I am working to fix that.

What about you? What is your main skill that would help a community/your family survive if TSHTF?

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   
part-time gynecologist and masseause,without our health..nothing else matters

edit on 7-10-2012 by all2human because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by superman2012

I would be hanging with you for some clean water!
This may sound silly but I can sew and make clothes and shoes very well, incase that was needed.
Also I have the knowledge of how to build a house/shelter from the ground up, would just need some muscle for help. I have my electricans license, and could help us have electricity if we could find the right materials.
I also share your gardening skills, and can cook very well with very little! Of course all of those scenerios would vary with what we were given or left with.
Also I know a few ways to help sick people with certain plants, that would help I believe.
I'm with you on hunting too, I need to get better at that incase we are ever in this situation!

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Well, Im good at computers and networks....

We die first dont we?

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by all2human
gynecologist,without our health..nothing else matters

Lol I just laughed out loud.. Was not expecting that one!!

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by all2human

Sounds good! Health care will be in high demand!

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Katharos62191

I'll provide the muscle if you make my clothes. That is another skill I am lacking in. I'll even get you some water!

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Bodhi911

Yes. Yes you will.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Geometry, physics and problem solving. I can build just about anything with materials a pencil and string.

I am also cool headed in dangerous situations. Twenty years hand to hand and weapons combat training.

I make a mean chicken soup.

I know when to speak up and when to shut up

I care about my team.

edit on 7-10-2012 by Mrgone because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by superman2012

Yes. Yes you will.

Damn. Remember when it was the black guys who always died first in the movies? In real life its the computer geeks. I feel I should have been told....

edit on 7-10-2012 by Bodhi911 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   

We have a deal, Superman!

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Mrgone

You had me at chicken soup. You have quite a diverse skill set! Good on you!

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Although, if you watch Revolution, there is a computer geek on there that lasted the initial day and is still on the show 15 years later.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   

This gives me hope. Thank you.

link   
Personally, I'm becoming a scribe of sorts... I've taken what started as a little hobby and gone to pursuing a career in it (Graphics/Information Presentation)...but working hard on the original purpose. Collecting info. That's my contribution and I think it'll be more valuable than the ammo reloading I can also offer.

Laptops and a tablet as well as discs hold PDF documents of all kinds I've picked up and archived into a real growing collection. I've also been recording (where legal
) tutorial, instructional and demonstration vids from the net. Tubes and such. Same reasons. I've been kinda shocked at just how big it's grown and how fast actually.

It's everything from the medical specifics of childbirth to basic first aid to making soap or cleaning drinking water with bleach and dozens upon dozens of other topics... I'm also working on getting different types of solar chargers that can keep laptops, tablets and smartphones charging as needed regardless of the state of the world around us, as long as the electronics remain working.

No one needs signal...No one will care. However, even my blackberry's could read PDF's and within a collection of the right ones, I believe, lay more value than gold when disaster is really a long term total concept. I think we'll have a world full of "I saw something online that said....." and not an "Online" left to get back to. At least for a period of time.

(Glances down meaningfully at the lines (not links) of my signature
)

link   

Originally posted by all2human
part-time gynecologist,without our health..nothing else matters

edit on 7-10-2012 by all2human because: (no reason given)

LOL! you changed it to part-time! I don't even want to know...plus I don't think I can ask according to the T & C's.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Yup, doing that too. I have many pdf files on disc, instructional videos, pdf files on my ebook reader, plus paper copies of them all in case of an EMP.

Edit: Question for you; What do you think would be the best way to store information? Discs eventually degrade, electronics might be useless/corrode, paper can burn. I'm talking information that someone can read or understand, not passing down knowledge from generation to generation.
edit on 7-10-2012 by superman2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I used to collect everything in hard copy form. My archive became ridiculous.

I think you may be on to something with a data collection on zip drives or jump sticks. You could access those on almost any computer that you could find. And archiving on these devices would be cheap. Then all you need is a little power and a good reference guide.

Me thinks that is an excellent contribution.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Computers and electronics would be my strongest suit, but unfortunately all but useless in this scenario. That said, I grew up on a farm and I know how to hunt and fish, as well as how to identify a few very common edible plants. I can weld, though I'd say I'm only halfway decent at it. I have a finance background that could have some applications in any trading. Along the same lines, I have a fairly strong mathematical aptitude and educational background, plus a better than average overall science background, and although the direct applications would be few in this scenario, it does tend to make me an excellent problem solver.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by superman2012
Edit: Question for you; What do you think would be the best way to store information? Discs eventually degrade, electronics might be useless/corrode, paper can burn. I'm talking information that someone can read or understand, not passing down knowledge from generation to generation.
edit on 7-10-2012 by superman2012 because: (no reason given)

Stone carvings. Thats what the ancients used to send messages to us. Weather or not future generations will understand them is uncertain however.

And storing lots of information that way will be painful.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join