It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chimpanzee 'asks' zoo visitors to free him

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 08:12 AM
link   
People have to get rid of this old style rose tinted idea of Zoo's, the simple fact is that if you put any animal to a confined space where the every day routine remains the same for as long as it lives then you will see the animal go insane.

Put a parrot in a cage and leave it there for long enough and it starts bobbing up and down, this isn't from pleasure its from madness.

The best 'zoo' for these animals is the natural habitats which are patrolled and protected, put them there and you are giving them the life they deserve.

The real problem is that people have a quaint idea about most zoo's being people cuddling animals, animals being fed by hand and them posing for the camera's, whilst the odd zoo might be that many are no better than slave prisons where the animals are made to earn their food with crass man made routines that are enforced by pain and mild torture. Add to that the animal spends most of its time in tiny surroundings and you then realise that zoo's are not always the home the animal needs.

Even if the zoo is a kind place then you have to understand that monkeys are roving creatures, confining them to a covered low level tree house with a rubber tire swing and a few balls isn't the same as what they need and like it or not the creature suffers mentally.
edit on 5-8-2012 by Mclaneinc because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   
To be honest, animals could live happily in zoos...but they have confined spaces. If they had bigger, more natural emulated environments as opposed to empty little rooms with 1 small tree in, they'd be a lot happier.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
I guess I'm the odd ball. If living the horrible and brutal existence of having his meals made and served 3 times daily with a whole team to descend if he so much as gets a little cut from jumping around, I'm thinking he can take one for the team.

Seriously, life isn't THAT bad and nothing is out to eat him there. In exchange, letting people get to know more about them directly helps save the ones in the wild. Aren't most of these species at least 'threatened', in the wild? Education must help...and that's his way of paying his keep.

So you would be ok with being locked away in a cell for life as long as people brought you food and washed you?
I do not think animals feel the same way you do. Most of them naturally seem to enjoy not being locked in cells. I have yet to find examples of animals in wild that build their own cages and then spend out the rest of their existence in it.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I actually have a pet tortoise, and he lives in a glass case. Nothing much in there at all, you can tell when he gets agitated. He begins walking in to the glass and making it bump. So, I take him out and let him walk around the house at his own free will.

Eventually, sometimes after a few hours, he walks back in to this room and starts to sit near the glass case, and goes to sleep. Almost like he wants to be in there because it is safe and knows it.

I don't think zoo animals are totally against the safety and not against food being given to them - but they sure probably would like more freedom and "leg space" to stretch.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Chimpanzees outperform humans at memory task

edit on 5-8-2012 by LiberalSceptic because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   
A couple of points regarding this thread. The link used by the OP is widely regarded as an outwardly racist rag of a newspaper.

Zoos are far from ideal, however in many cases they are necessary to protect the species. Chimpanzees are an endangered species yet the OP makes no reference to this. Also finds it acceptable to keep pets as they have been 'domesticated' - baffling!!

I do not agree with zoos 100% however I do believe the vast majority of people looking after animals in zoos (in Western countries) have their best interests at heart. An all together different picture than the 'prison guard' view the OP is trying to portray.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Lichter daraus

i agree it is sad that we do this to animals , but what exactly were the people to do? They were visiting a zoo, they would have gotten into some trouble had they opened the window. These people that took this video are just visitors they didnt put the monkey in there.

Maybe not visit a zoo in first place?? By visiting a zoo you support this cruel practice of caging animals for our entertainment. This is exactly why I have not been in a zoo since my childhood.
If everyone did like me then there would be no zoos like this.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Well.. that's absurd. Does that sound good for you? If that were offered to you, you would consider it prison.. and you are used to living indoors without fresh food and exercise so it would actually be less of an adjustment for you.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by TiM3LoRd

This is more proof of how the human race falls into the abyss of inhumanity....I mean if we are not capable finding a way to stop killing each other in the past 30K years then why should the way we treat other sentient mammals be a surprize.
What is sacary is the chimp is most likely more intelligent then the people looking in.......................and they are in charge............kind of explains a lot about where we as a species are headed I would think.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
I guess I'm the odd ball. If living the horrible and brutal existence of having his meals made and served 3 times daily with a whole team to descend if he so much as gets a little cut from jumping around, I'm thinking he can take one for the team.

Seriously, life isn't THAT bad and nothing is out to eat him there. In exchange, letting people get to know more about them directly helps save the ones in the wild. Aren't most of these species at least 'threatened', in the wild? Education must help...and that's his way of paying his keep.

So I can come and kidnap you, if only I give you three meals a day and keep you healthy?? Great, I'm on my way right now!

For all I care they can dress him in gold, give him a playstation and a royal meal three times a day, it still doesn't provide what every sentient creatures deep down craves the most; FREEDOM.

If given they choice, would you seriously prefer living like THAT over being free?? Strange creature you are then
There is NO set of conditions that would have me satisfied with being caged, no matter how great they advertise my preposed captivity to be.

Anyway, as long as there are people that do not realise keeping animals in cages is cruel, there will be people that provide this low form of entertainment, and there will be people that need to take care of them. I wouldn't mind working in a zoo, someone HAS to anyway, the caretakers are not the ones that captured the animals nor are they the ones that are responsible for the zoo, they provide the animals with the care they need, and the companionship which I'm sure is much appreciated.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

We should put you in there and give the chimp your life then sound fair?

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   

I completely agree that it is wrong to cage animals and I don't like seeing them kept captive. That being said, what exactly is it that makes that man a "neanderthal" or "moron"?, as you put it? I'll tell you what, internet tough guy, video tape yourself at a zoo, setting the animals free then come back here and post it. Until then, I'll file YOU under moron.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   
A majority of animals in zoos are born in to them, not kidnapped out of the wild anyway. Zoos are generally to conserve, the reason public are allowed to pay is to keep the places funded so they can continue to look after the particular species in danger. Zoos aren't as bad as people make out. They just need conditions to be improved. You won't see these animals moaning about the safety or food they get - they just need more freedom and space.
edit on 5-8-2012 by LightInside because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I've always thought that zoos were wrong. Sad video

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by kingmonkey
A couple of points regarding this thread. The link used by the OP is widely regarded as an outwardly racist rag of a newspaper.

Zoos are far from ideal, however in many cases they are necessary to protect the species. Chimpanzees are an endangered species yet the OP makes no reference to this. Also finds it acceptable to keep pets as they have been 'domesticated' - baffling!!

I do not agree with zoos 100% however I do believe the vast majority of people looking after animals in zoos (in Western countries) have their best interests at heart. An all together different picture than the 'prison guard' view the OP is trying to portray.

At least the op kept back any type of relativity of africans and monkeys.... that would have REALLY got those nazi modz panties bunched .... GOOD JOB OP!!!!

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   

STUPID EVIL MONKEYS !

And I'm not refering to the one in the cage :-(

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by tombangelta

said it a million times on this site ,

we will be punished and purged from existence for what we have done to other living creatures on this planet.

its only a matter of time.

from a reality basis... no we won't.... have you seen a black hole rip apart a planet? almost liquefying it? What'd the planet do for this "punishment"? These are natural occurrences.... life, death, and everything in between are inevitable and resistance regardless of it's nature is futile.

If we all... every single one of us right now... killed ourselves.... nothing would happen... any survivors might read about it in the paper and gawk and say OMG but nothing REALLY will happen of any meaningful content. The oceans still wash ashore.... the sun and moon will still be in sync with their cycles as we've seen from earth... the aliens won't come... nothing truly different will take place... no God regardless of what you grew up and learned from generations and generations of brain washed ancestors have brought down will magically appear riverdancing for you to come with him, sorry... Stalin, Hitler, and Mussolini will not, unfortunately, get what is "coming to them"... all of these things we've been taught growing up about punishment and discipline are tools of keeping a society align... classical conditioning from a political scale... and I think deep down we know this but are afraid that it might be true... it's scary to think that we all are truly nothing... so we falsify truth into our own creations for some type of justification for being here in the first place, you know and I know... deep down...
edit on 5-8-2012 by MikhailBakunin because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Ok, not that many people will get past their chest beating to actually read this but here goes.

I've been to that zoo, the chimps have masses of room and aren't kept all cooped up. They have open air spaces to play and their own enclosed play area when the weather is inclement, as happens since the zoo is on the side of a welsh mountain. The Chimp in question is actually a very clever old lady who likes messing with the idiots that stand gawping. www.welshmountainzoo.org...

She quite a lucky missy, she gets loads of lovely fresh air and a view of the sea. Which is more than what I get.

She was born in Chester Zoo, her mother couldn't look after her and she was home reared for a time by Welsh zoo staff. She lives there in a family environment with two of her well mothered now grown children. Why would she want out, she is at her home with her family.

I can only hope that in the midst of this over emotional backlash that nobody does anything silly. She is a captive born ape, if anyone decides to do anything stupid they could put not just her and her family but the other animals and the people who live right on their doorstep at risk.
edit on 5-8-2012 by Suspiria because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   
poor chimp...anyone wanna help me plan a covert mission to break him out of jail? Don't worry I'll cover the plane tickets and gear.

Seriously though thanks for sharing, it's kinda sad to watch, but at the same time I love knowing that we aren't the only ones on this Earth with a bit of brains.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by MikhailBakunin

have you seen a black hole rip apart a planet?

have you? I mean in person.

I respect your opinion, but here's mine. We are some thing, we are a race with extraordinary gifts, as are all the other animals on this planet. Thinking that we are nothing isn't a good way to think, Your something I'm something, and everyone who posted in this thread is something. Sure I personally don't know you, but if you were to take to heart the thought of people having a much deeper meaning than just living, maybe your life and everyone's around you would improve almost over night? Either-way if you took the time to read this the least I can say is thanks for hearing my opinion,such as I did yours.

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join