It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Is The BlackPeopleMeet.com Commercials Racist?"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
First and foremost, I ask that EVERYONE please be mature when commenting.

I saw the commercials for BlackPeopleMeet.com this morning.

Here’s the YT Videos….

Is it really that hard to see? For all the people that think this commercial isn't racist as hell, I challenge you to picture a commercial where every time they used the word black, they instead used white, this is where white people meet exciting white people, and tell me that the community wouldn't be just as outraged... People have a right to choose what they want in life, but a lot of it doesn't belong on advertisements and commercials.

Okay the statement "this is how black people meet", is a generalization which is a form of racism, It is absolutely unacceptable to say that this is the only way people of color meet and that they only date or have relationships with other people of color. How could anyone in their right mind think it OK to air such an inaccurate and ignorant statement to millions of people?! This will only fuel the idea of separation of races. Discriminating against white people being proud to be white is just as heinous as discriminating against blacks who are proud to be black.

It's funny how African Americans want integration but then they make stuff like black radio, or black TV, or magazine, or college fund, or make a website like this. They segregate themselves and then say they don't like segregation. Am I missing something here, or should I just shut my mouth before someone labels me?

I think for $h!ts and giggles, I’m going to start up a membership on this website. I'm a white guy (Accually, I’m half greek and have olive skin), and if I try to join this website, will I be denied? And if so, can I run out into the streets yelling discrimnation?

edit on 1-8-2012 by Propulsion because: (no reason given)

+9 more 
posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I simply say reverse this..............

White people meet .

The reaction would be loud.

I say it is racist!

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Propulsion

No, I don't. It's targeted marketing...nothing more....sheesh....

Des

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
I thought I would turn it around for a moment, and voice it in the opposite direction….

“When I tell my white friends that we met on whitepeoplesmeet.com, they tell me “wow”!
“When I went to WhitePeopleMeet.com, I saw Millions of whites”.

Is it just me, or is there something about it that just doesn’t sound right..

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Christian Mingle
Where Christians can Find other Christians...

Change that to people of the Islamic faith and the average American would assume that it was a terror cell.

Like the other poster said: It's targeted marketing.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Whats racists about it...? They also have a christian singles site, and you dont hear atheists crying about it... Only racists people see this as racists. Make a whitepeoplemeet.com and see who gives a damn, i sure wont..

+11 more 
posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Whether or not everyone agrees if it is racist, you'd have a hard time convincing me that if the word 'black' was substituted with 'white' the country wouldn't be outraged and the commercial wouldn't be forced off the air.
Makes me want to make that commercial and air it just to prove a point.

When people stop defining themselves with words like Black,white,indian,Doctor,Carpenter,Lawyer,Hispanic etc and start letting the quality of their character define them then commercials like this will be obsolete anyway.

"Do you have quality character"?
"Are you looking for someone who shares the same depth of Character as yourself".
"Join 'Character Match.com' today and find out what you've been missing"

But, 'till then, we have Blackpeoplemeet.com.
Black people everywhere should be insulted.
What am I saying?
Human beings should be insulted.

edit on 1-8-2012 by Screwed because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   
If I were to suggest a "whites only" message board here on ATS would that go down very well?, no I dont think so, neither would a blacks only message board im sure.

I dont find it particularly racist, I do however find it a tad xenophobic as it ultimately leads to segregation amongst in society, which is kind ironic in this case, I do not think it should be actively encouraged.

But then im all about peoples liberty to advertise or create anything they like, id just be saddened to think people would actualy use a service such as this.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
People of color seriously can't have anything without white people acting entitled.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   
This thread made me lol.
lol.

I see what you mean though. *shrugs*

link   
Whatever you may think about the title or the web address I can assure you of this. It probably has quite a few white people as members. So despite the title they do not exclude or probably do not propose any form of segregation beyond market segmentation. I ask how would you target a particular group for commercial purposes unless you use such terms. It may be that future promotional material will have a white presence.

No I don't know much more about it than the average reader here and I have no interest in joining up.

We still have White racist organisations with a greater pedigree of racist acts and utterances running around and very few of these contributors seem to be aware of them. But a black dating site that probably has a white minority is causing people sleepless nights....

link   

I see no problem with this. I thought it was a bit odd when I saw the commercial on TV, but really who cares?

Not racist whatsoever. There are dating sites for interracial couples, hell there is even a site for gingers to find one another. No one is freaking out because the redheads on the site are excluding others. It's just a specialty site, and they probably do quite well in their niche. Kudos to them.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Does the website prohibit whites from joining???

I'd say this is a great site for white (or any other race) women/men who are looking to date black men/women as well as just for black singles looking to date other black singles.

If that is who you are attracted to...I would guess a dating site that has only that type of person is a great place.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I went to the front page of blackpeoplemeet.com and put in my zip code in the search to see what pops up, and the page was filled with black AND white woman.... So the people on here complaining about its only for black people are wrong its obviously for anybody, its just to get more black people to get on and make it easier to find others. Instead of those other sites where im sure are infiltrated with whites... But i'd like to see someone make a whitepeoplemeet.com i bet you nobody calls it racists...

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   
I'm not going to bother watching it, I've got the gist from the comments... Couldn't really give a damn about the advert or if black people want to meet other black people only... I do know though that if this were about white people it would be labeled racist and white supremacist. In the UK there is asian radio too and things like that... I challenge anyone to find something that is whites only or whites radio or something.

There has been double standards like that for some time...

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Propulsion
First and foremost, I ask that EVERYONE please be mature when commenting.

I saw the commercials for BlackPeopleMeet.com this morning.

Here’s the YT Videos….

Is it really that hard to see? For all the people that think this commercial isn't racist as hell, I challenge you to picture a commercial where every time they used the word black, they instead used white, this is where white people meet exciting white people, and tell me that the community wouldn't be just as outraged... People have a right to choose what they want in life, but a lot of it doesn't belong on advertisements and commercials.

Okay the statement "this is how black people meet", is a generalization which is a form of racism, It is absolutely unacceptable to say that this is the only way people of color meet and that they only date or have relationships with other people of color. How could anyone in their right mind think it OK to air such an inaccurate and ignorant statement to millions of people?! This will only fuel the idea of separation of races. Discriminating against white people being proud to be white is just as heinous as discriminating against blacks who are proud to be black.

It's funny how African Americans want integration but then they make stuff like black radio, or black TV, or magazine, or college fund, or make a website like this. They segregate themselves and then say they don't like segregation. Am I missing something here, or should I just shut my mouth before someone labels me?

I think for $h!ts and giggles, I’m going to start up a membership on this website. I'm a white guy (Accually, I’m half greek and have olive skin), and if I try to join this website, will I be denied? And if so, can I run out into the streets yelling discrimnation?

edit on 1-8-2012 by Propulsion because: (no reason given)

Sigh here we go again, this forum is either filled with christian myths, devil stories or idiotic anti black propoganda... I would advice you to give it a rest, they are targeting blacks as it increases their market value/profits... What is the need to get so worked up on this? The more reactive you are the more reaction you would get... Get a life dude
... Blacks are seggregated, it is a reality, that is why blacks can't climb the social ladder, Words like n//ger are still used to make fun of them... Don't know why you are so insecure

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheOneElectric
It's targeted marketing.

It is illegal for me to use "targeted marketing" when advertising a room in my house. I'm not allowed to discriminate by race.

Yet it's OK in this case because...?

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I agree it only adds to the division but then again... am I racist for not being attracted to black women? Are black people racist for not being attracted to white people?
Is this not America? Do I not have the right the create a similar website? Should I not have that right?? It only seems natural.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
No, it doesn't ban white people from joining. If you're white and wanna mack some black girls go sign up.

I did an experiment lol

Anyone can join. No one is being discriminated against.

Every time that Jewish dating site commercial comes on I've never thought "OH THAT'S RACIST". You guys are so sensitive and overly dramatic.
edit on 1-8-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-8-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Truthfinder666

that is why blacks can't climb the social ladder

Apart from royalty, President of the United States of America is pretty much the top of the social ladder to be honest.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join