It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Is The BlackPeopleMeet.com Commercials Racist?"

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher

Originally posted by FOXMULDER147
We will never truly overcome racism until we start taking race out of the title of things...

Keep mentioning race. Keep getting racism.

This is the most idiotic argument I have ever heard...and it is used mainly by racists themselves.

Stop talking about my racism...and then it won't be a problem

edit on 1-8-2012 by OutKast Searcher because: (no reason given)

You just won first prize for missing the point. Congratulations.

I can justify my argument very easily...

Take the website we are discussing - "BlackPeopleMeet.com". Now take the 'Black' out. What you're left with (PeopleMeet.com) is neutral, innocuous, and indiscriminate.

Without the mention of race in the title of that website, this thread wouldn't exist; and we wouldn't be debating the issue. In fact, there would be no issue at all. Nobody could possibly be offended. There would be a little more harmony between the races of the world, as there would be one issue less to divide us.
edit on 1-8-2012 by FOXMULDER147 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by FOXMULDER147

You've got a point. I just think a few people on here reacted with emotion instead of sense. Have fun trying to elaborate it without getting into an argument though.

A lot of things and people get called racist when it's not appropriate, "racist" is probably one of the most overused scapegoat words in the English language... and that's why you have a point. Ignoring real racism doesn't make it go away, but acknowledging "racist trolling" in real life and on the internet just compounds the problem of racism even more.

For the record, I don't think BlackPeopleMeet.com is racist. Also, in general: I think blacks are just as racist as whites, they just don't have the same history in this country. That's why whites "can't say anything about it". It's pretty obvious actually... and kind of stupid.
edit on 1-8-2012 by RSF77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
www.whitepeopledate.com...

A Place Where Love and Race are Related

Tiger Woods, Quincy Jones , Seal, Ice-T, Reggie Bush and Cuba Godding Jr are stealing your white women. Halle Berry ,Iman, Paula Patton, and Garcelle Beauvais are stealing your white men.

edit on 1-8-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   
I'm not suggesting that we should ignore racism; I'm suggesting that we ignore race.

ANYTHING that aims at a particular race is wrong. And if you're able to visualize the bigger picture, you can see how such things feed racism and keep it alive.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Perhaps it would have been better if they titled their website as “peopleofcolormeet.com” rather than “blackpeoplemeet.com.” I suggest that because we’re all people of color...with the possible exception of albinos – and even they’re not snow-white…and African Americans aren’t black – they’re brown – various shades of dark to light brown. Heck one of my relatives is from Greece and when he tans, he’s pretty dark (some of his friends call him “the Turk”).

And I have to agree with FoxMulder147 – we keep getting divided by race; it would be best to ignore the factor of race in as many scenarios as possible.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke
reply to post by Propulsion

but they need to be called out on both sides. Would you not agree?

Pretty sure everyone knows that every race has its racists. If you're against any racism you're against all racism. I don't get the logic with that question.
Some might think otherwise...

Edit:For some reason embedding isn't working. Here's the link...
www.youtube.com...
edit on 1-8-2012 by Propulsion because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by dayve

Whats racists about it...? They also have a christian singles site, and you dont hear atheists crying about it... Only racists people see this as racists. Make a whitepeoplemeet.com and see who gives a damn, i sure wont..

You bring up a point, but christian mingle are matching similar viewpoints not race. Blacks, Latinos, Whites, Asians can all be Christians.

The problem I think the OP is pointing out is your using race not a similar interest to define your business. I personally believe that their are some instances where race may justify what your selling. Such as Ebony magazine for African Americans, Latino, or Asian magazines are targeting a particular culture and a way of life. Some hair products or decor or dress may be used only by a particular culture.

The problem I have is when race defines a particular network like BET, or when you start justifying incentives only for a particular race, or focus on a particular race for match making services, or catering a particular slang English like Ebonics to educate a race of people. I really think when races start separating themselves, we start taking steps backwards toward racial segregation. There are ways to celebrate your culture like festivals or food establishments, but when you start segregating yourself in main stream society, you create an atmosphere of inequality. It really prevents your race from moving forward.

edit on 1-8-2012 by WeRpeons because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-8-2012 by WeRpeons because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Screwed
"Do you have quality character"?
"Are you looking for someone who shares the same depth of Character as yourself".
"Join 'Character Match.com' today and find out what you've been missing"

edit on 1-8-2012 by Screwed because: (no reason given)

You should do that. That would sell.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   
YES.

The site is called Black people Meet.

That's what we would call racism.

~Tenth

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Propulsion
First and foremost, I ask that EVERYONE please be mature when commenting.

I saw the commercials for BlackPeopleMeet.com this morning.

Here’s the YT Videos….

Is it really that hard to see? For all the people that think this commercial isn't racist as hell, I challenge you to picture a commercial where every time they used the word black, they instead used white, this is where white people meet exciting white people, and tell me that the community wouldn't be just as outraged... People have a right to choose what they want in life, but a lot of it doesn't belong on advertisements and commercials.

Okay the statement "this is how black people meet", is a generalization which is a form of racism, It is absolutely unacceptable to say that this is the only way people of color meet and that they only date or have relationships with other people of color. How could anyone in their right mind think it OK to air such an inaccurate and ignorant statement to millions of people?! This will only fuel the idea of separation of races. Discriminating against white people being proud to be white is just as heinous as discriminating against blacks who are proud to be black.

It's funny how African Americans want integration but then they make stuff like black radio, or black TV, or magazine, or college fund, or make a website like this. They segregate themselves and then say they don't like segregation. Am I missing something here, or should I just shut my mouth before someone labels me?

I think for $h!ts and giggles, I’m going to start up a membership on this website. I'm a white guy (Accually, I’m half greek and have olive skin), and if I try to join this website, will I be denied? And if so, can I run out into the streets yelling discrimnation?

edit on 1-8-2012 by Propulsion because: (no reason given)

You won't be denied. I was on that site for awhile and i'm definitely not black.

It worked out alright, i met a couple ladies from the site.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   
It is wrong but nobody will say anything about it because of the slavery back in the day. That what it comes down to and I think white people will be tip toeing around this type of thing forever.

White-people-meet would be an outrage "how dare you want to meet other white people you racist!" "must be some new sort of kkk"

Al Sharpton would demand public apology from ceo of company.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke

It's not like racism against blacks has ended anyway. Banks still won't loan to black people with they have a better job, credit, and everything than whites. www.abovetopsecret.com...

That's as much racism against blacks as it is sexism for car insurance rates to be generally lower for females than males. Banks take into account a lot of different statistics...such as blacks making up ~12% of the general population but holding ~38% of the nations welfare. It's definitely generalizing a race of people, but in the end the banks are in it for themselves. They just analyze the data to find out what is more likely to make them a profit.
edit on 8-1-12 by paradox because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Propulsion

That guy doesn't even understand the definition of racism. He is describing classism.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   
This post reminds me of a nother post on this site. The baker that wouldn't make a gay wedding cake. It's a non issue. But I do see the point the OP is making. I hope I live to see the day when people are color blind.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Just as I would be angry if there was a television commercial for "White People Meet" which resulted in people yelling "racist!" I feel the same with people yelling "racist" at "Black People Meet".

So what if Black people want to have a website where it is exclusively for Black singles? I see no harm in that, actually I think it is a good thing. My opinion is the exact same in regards to a commercial about a website exclusively for White singles. Of course, I know a commercial for "White People Meet" would be slammed as "intolerant, bigoted, racist, etc..." that does not mean two wrongs make a right.

Does it bother me there exists a double standard? You bet it does. But I am not going to condemn this site and its advertisement for it.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by paradox

Lending to a poor white person over a rich black person is going to make a bank more profit?

Bill Dedman showed that banks would often lend to lower-income whites but not to middle- or upper-income blacks.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   
who cares...
edit on 1-8-2012 by dayve because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   
yadayada...
edit on 1-8-2012 by dayve because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   
A. i haven't heard anything about white people being banned from going there

B. i don't see how having a site for blacks to meet each other is racist. How does it negatively affect non blacks?

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   
This how to cook blackpeoplemeat.com

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join