It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oh my, 115 degree weather...Did we open the gates to Hell?

page: 10
<< 7  8  9   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Im in southern wisconsin and the last week has been hellish tripple digits for over a week. I actually don't remember the last time it actually rained more than a slight spit-on enough to make it 100% humid and little else. The corn is about 2 feet tall and tassling, most of it is dried and burned to a crispy brown. There will be no harvest if this keeps up for another week or so. The tomato plants on my porch are needing about 15 gallons of water a day, and that's just barely keeping them alive. I think this is going to be the start of a huge famine/drought like the dustbowl.

I really feel bad for all those who are without power for a week in this heat, it has to be nothing less than hell.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
reply to post by Manhater

Sit in a nice cool tub of water and rehydrate. Epsom salts sometimes helps as does a little salt in the water. Make sure you don't get low on salt in your body or you will be tired and weak. A cup of coffee most times fires up the bodies cooling system. cold coffee gives you energy. Soda pop makes you sweat. I suppose you already know all that though. I hope you can cool down there soon. It got up in the low 80s around here today but only about seventy five here in the woods. Do you have a basement on your place?

Those are some really good ideas. I suggested earlier (and now I will again)....get together some (all cotton clothing) run the clothes through cold water; ring it out; put it in the freezer; and when the clothing is really, really cold put it on...in really hot weather this helps a lot.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

Frozen clothing has to be hard to put on no? I remember frozen towels when I was a kid. We didnt have a clothes dryer. We hung the wash outside on a line. I remember the towels creeking as I folded them because they werent dry they were frozen.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by karen61057
reply to post by caladonea

Frozen clothing has to be hard to put on no? I remember frozen towels when I was a kid. We didnt have a clothes dryer. We hung the wash outside on a line. I remember the towels creeking as I folded them because they werent dry they were frozen.

You don't keep the clothes in the freezer until they are frozen...just leave them in there long enough to get really, really cold..(like I said in my other reply)...lol.

Stay cool!

edit on 7-7-2012 by caladonea because: correction

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by eywadevotee

yeah...I don't know much about corn...but my dad born in the 40's does..and he said he has noticed the corn about 2 feet tall tasseling already and that it was a really bad sign. My dad lives near a 7000 acre farm and the corn is a done deal this year..I don't know what farmers are going to do? Marion, Illinois has nothing you could even consider as rain since feb 29th 2012...when the storm went through and then the tornado hit harrisburg, IL. We have had a few sprinkles that lasted about 10 min..but NO hard rain whatsoever.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 01:45 AM
link   
Check the weather maps for NA tomorrow.

28C up in Yellowknife. Never seen anything like that before. The record high is 30C I believe.

The heat is dispersed all over the North. My province is about the only one that isn't cooking thanks to the Arctic current mixing with the southern one. Makes me wonder what these maps will look like in two weeks time. Check out Tuesday. Does this seem extreme to anyone else?

Canada's top weather forecaster calls for hot, dry summer across the country

4500 record highs broken: Jet stream pulled up towards Canada, ‘out of whack’ says U.S. meteorologist
edit on 9/7/12 by murkraz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by ButterCookie
Yes indeed!!

I'm in Memphis TN and we will see 106+ this weekend, not including the heat index. We even had a report about some of news stations lying about the temps as to not alarm the residents....

at 1st, they said 99, 100, then 102, then 104, now 106.

2 summers ago, we saw temp with heat index to reach 115-120.....this is the summer when the streets in New Orleans buckled up and the weathermen here in Memphis were cooking various foods on the sidewalk to demonstrate the heat.

I'm in Memphis too and O MAN has it been hot. My very first serious garden is struggling.

but we finally got some storms rolling in! YES! Weather is cooling down.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   
We cooled off into the 90's for a few days but
we are under an alert for tomorrow with temps
100 + index. Not to mention one could not buy
a rain drop here - Ft. Wayne, Indiana

top topics

<< 7  8  9   >>

join