It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Higgs Boson Explained

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 03:23 AM
link   
Caught this earlier, good illustrations!

Why is there a pattern, and can it be found else where? The search continues!

What is all this fuss about the Higgs boson? The physics community is abuzz that a fundamental particle expected by the largely successful Standard Model of particle physics may be soon be found by the huge Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN in Europe. The term boson refers to a type of fundamental particle with similarities to the photon, while Higgs refers to Peter Higgs, a physicist who among others published research predicting the mechanism through which such a particle might act. The above animated cartoon explains in humorous but impressive detail why the Higgs boson is expected, and one method that the Large Hadron Collider is using to find it. Although some rumors hint that preliminary traces of the Higgs boson are already being found, even not finding this unusual particle would open the door to a new fundamental understanding of how our universe works.
apod.nasa.gov...
edit on 1-5-2012 by juveous because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 04:26 AM
link   
Very cool video S&F

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by juveous

...energy.

If I'm getting this right, then they are using the energy created from the Hadron Collider in order to create matter. They are using something that supposedly has no substance...to create something with substance.

Is it really so hard to believe that energy is God? That everything that is anything comes from this energy, and turns back into this energy, and is always around in different forms that are, at the most basic level, made up of energy?

God...all God.

On the other hand, there is a potentially limitless range of discoveries we could make. We are focusing on one discovery we hope to make, that will fill in a gap we've been trying to plug...but also, dozens of other things could come out. Even when we're not finding the answer we're looking for, we're getting answers to a dozen tiny little things that build up to one piece that can bring closure to one question or another, all the while bringing us a deeper understanding of the universe.

Amazing.
edit on CTuesdayam575703f03America/Chicago01 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Starchild23

what is the point of calling it God if we don't know what it is? It is process of discovery, remember we have woken up in the middle of this whole mess doing trial and error for years. Our ignorance has always comes at us as a surprise. So if anything, we learn what not to call things.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Best explanation of the Higgs field and the Higgs Boson i've seen.

S+F for you.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by juveous

Well, you can always hypothesize, then scratch it out when you prove it wrong.

Thing is, no one has proved God isn't pure energy.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starchild23
reply to post by juveous

Well, you can always hypothesize, then scratch it out when you prove it wrong.

Thing is, no one has proved God isn't pure energy.

how? How could you prove what God is not, without defining what God is?

Even if i wanted to say God was not energy, you have already defined it as such. It would be like calling the sun God, and me saying no its not its just a Star.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by juveous

Considering both are made up of energy, yes? That means that they are both manifestations of god. Let's assume I can take off my arm at will. Then take apart the rest of my body. Which part is me? Oh, it has to be the head, right? Because the head does the thinking. No, it's the heart. The heart pumps the blood and keeps everything alive. But what about the hand? Without the hand, we'd be helpless, unable to feed ourselves or anything. Hold on...let's dig deeper...DNA! According to DNA, ALL of it is me.

Here's the answer: it is ALL god, because there is one thing that everything has, deep inside of it...an energy signature. The structure itself, the simple quality of being energy...just as my body is recognized by DNA, so is God recognized by energy, which is capable of performing every single thing mentioned in the Bible.

Are you atheist, by chance? Because it would explain your reluctance to consider my suggestion. As an exercise in keeping an open mind, try finding something that you don't believe in and argue in favor of it. It teaches you not to be too full of your own opinion.

edit on CTuesdaypm050547f47America/Chicago01 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   

But you havn't really said anything other than swap definitions. You should take your own advice. You have defined God as energy because you already believe in God. How can anyone believe or not believe when the definition changes? Its like gravity, why didnt Newton just argue it was God? He was not athiest, this is no different.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by juveous
what is the point of calling it God if we don't know what it is?

But that's all "God" really is, anyway. "I don't know." God is the end of the road of knowledge. When you can't figure anything else out, there's God. It's thrilling to some people, that unknowing. Even if it's just ignorance.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by juveous

But you havn't really said anything other than swap definitions. You should take your own advice. You have defined God as energy because you already believe in God. How can anyone believe or not believe when the definition changes? Its like gravity, why didnt Newton just argue it was God? He was not athiest, this is no different.

I have defined energy as god because energy (conscious energy) fits the description of a god. All-powerful, ever-present, and all-knowing. We just haven't proved it yet.

edit on CTuesdaypm060638f38America/Chicago01 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   
I really know nothing about physics, but it seems to me that patterns become more apparent periodically through recognition of what we see and feel...What we don't see or feel lacks an understanding of patterns...Good thread though...

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Excellent break-down of the Higgs Boson. S & F for finding this

Starchild23, your theory of god as energy has one small flaw--sentience. Or rather, the lack thereof. For you to postulate a feasible theory, you do need to prove that the elementary particles have a degree of sentience, a level of conscious drive to willfully manipulate quarks and so forth in to the elements. As far as anyone can tell, these particles are not sentient. If these are the ingredients in a deity's cosmic kitchen, you may want to ponder further & try to explain where the cook is.

top topics

join