It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tennessee and New York in 'war' over gun rights and common sense

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   
WOW just WOW... Let the woman have her weapon, I personally do NOT blame her for wanting to feel safe in a state she has never been in before. It is not as if she were waving it around being irresponsible with the weapon... Stupid New York. WOW

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   
So what is the deal really? We have this Constitution and its 2nd Amendment guarantees us as citizens the right to bear arms. But tons of states restrict that right and some areas outright prohibit it. Am I missing something here?

Let's compare this to California decriminalizing marajuana for those holding a prescription. Well in that case the Feds say a state cannot overrule the National level ban on marajuana, and they'll jolly well raid and prosecute as they see fit. So HOW does that not apply for this situation?

Seems we get our Constitutional Rights violated because we allow it to happen. The NYPD Policy is to kidnap folks who are exercising their 2nd Amendment Rights. Well Citizen, what are u gonna do to keep that from happening to YOU?

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Whatever happened to states rights? I live in New York state, I don't have a problem with the gun laws here. Things are little different up here in the north. I don't think out of state people should come here with loaded weapons. New York city has some of the strictest gun laws in the country. The lady in question should have known that. I think she should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. Personally I don't cotton to southerners bringing their weapons with them to New York. Whatever happened to states rights?

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by alonzo730
Whatever happened to states rights? I live in New York state, I don't have a problem with the gun laws here. Things are little different up here in the north. I don't think out of state people should come here with loaded weapons. New York city has some of the strictest gun laws in the country. The lady in question should have known that. I think she should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. Personally I don't cotton to southerners bringing their weapons with them to New York. Whatever happened to states rights?

States rights is guaranteed by the 10th Amendment which follows the 9th Amendment. The 9th Amendment prohibits government from denying or disparaging any rights not enumerated by Constitution. It is not an accident that the 9th Amendment protecting individual rights comes before the 10th Amendment protecting states rights, and that is because People and their unalienable rights come before states or nations.

People have the unalienable right to keep and bear arms. Unalienable rights preexist government and are not rights granted by government. They are non-transferable, which means they cannot be granted nor can they be taken away. This means New York has not taken away the unalienable right to keep and bear arms, they have trampled all over the right to do so.

States do not have that right.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by BiffJordan

Your attitude towards southerners is absolutely disgraceful, and is a pure example of the problem with Americans today.

I like how northerners, specifically those from NY and DC, seem to think that all you have in the south is a bunch of incestual, uneducated, middle eastern-hating rednecks. If anything, that mentality is not only completely false, but it is divisive and is the real root of the social divide in America. Even today, 150 years since the Civil War, Northerners still hold themselves on a damn pedestal.

Obviously, you know very little about the true nature of the southern education system, or have probably never been below the Mason-Dixon. Not only does the southeast have some of the best colleges and universities in the nation, but we sure as hell have a lot more freedoms.

Did this woman break the law? Yes. Is that law unconstitutional? Yes.
Does she deserve to berated by the likes of you who believe that just because a woman decides to bring a firearm-licensed, by the way-to one of the most dangerous cities in America, she is uneducated and a "terrorist-hater"? No.

Now, please. Either use some common decency or just keep your opinions to yourself.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 05:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by BiffJordan
guns have no place in NYC,

You've got to be kidding, right?

I can totally see the NYPD dealing with that woman, and lets get real she's an idiot. Who takes a gun on vacation? Get real lady.

"That woman"??
You mean the nurse from Tennessee who has a constitutional right to self defense with a handgun and who followed all the rules as set out by the state she lives in ... and who had no criminal intent when she went to visit the 9/11 memorial while on vacation in a dangerous city and asked if she could check her gun with the police while there?

what an idiot that woman is for asking to "check her weapon" hahaha, she deserve's 3 years for being an absolute numbskull.

:shk: LOTS of places have a 'check weapons' policy. I think YOU deserve three years for being the way you are right now. How's that sound? Not logical? Well ... neither are you being logical.

And as far as someone being an idiot who deserves three years in jail ... how about that idiot Mayor Bloomberg who falsified reports that the woman had coc aine in her coat pocket. He blabbed that fabrication all over the freak'n news. The woman had ASPRIN in her coat pocket. For him to lie about a nurse having illegal drugs .. that's criminal. She could easily lose her job.
edit on 1/22/2012 by FlyersFan because: added bloomberg comment

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 06:06 AM
link   

If your attitude is that "It might happen again at WTC" then... haha ... well I'll try not to laugh. Maybe before you reserve your spot at the memorial you should second guess going all together, because if "something" were to happen I doubt your gun would do any more good than the 200 or so NYPD who are stationed in the area would do.

The 9/11 memorial wasn't the only place she was visiting. She brought her gun with her for self protection while in New York City. She wasn't about to leave her gun in a hotel room somewhere when she went to the 9/11 memorial. Sure there are cops there but you never know what could happen on the way there, or at the memorial itself. It's a high visibility target for terrorists and kooks in general. BTW - The more you talk .. the less seriously I take you.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 06:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

If your attitude is that "It might happen again at WTC" then... haha ... well I'll try not to laugh. Maybe before you reserve your spot at the memorial you should second guess going all together, because if "something" were to happen I doubt your gun would do any more good than the 200 or so NYPD who are stationed in the area would do.

The 9/11 memorial wasn't the only place she was visiting. She brought her gun with her for self protection while in New York City. She wasn't about to leave her gun in a hotel room somewhere when she went to the 9/11 memorial. Sure there are cops there but you never know what could happen on the way there, or at the memorial itself. It's a high visibility target for terrorists and kooks in general. BTW - The more you talk .. the less seriously I take you.

NYC really isn't the battle zone you make it out to be. Anything run by the government will tell her she can't carry a gun because she doesn't have a permit for that state. I think it's bull that they want her to do time at the most she should have just received a small fine.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Jean Paul Zodeaux

Could you (or anyone else) please explain something to me (and probably to other people reading this thread)?

Does the fact that the second amendment gives people the right to keep and bear arms forbids the states that ratified that amendment from making laws and/or regulations to limit those rights in some way?

If it does, are there any cases in which the states that have their own limiting laws were accused of having an unconstitutional law?

Thanks in advance.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Originally posted by macman
Just another reason to never live in, near or visit NY. EVER!

Their gun laws are unconstitutional. Same with Washington DC. I can understand why the nurse wanted to bring her gun - which was legal in Tennessee - to New York City. I can understand her belief that gun laws are uniform across the country. I can understand Tennessee being upset about the absurdity of arresting this nurse who had no criminal intent and in fact intended to follow the rules as she knew them.

Severe lack of common sense on the part of New York City.

And the anti-anyone-but-us-New Yorkers rhetoric coming out of the New York Post
(a paper that I get and usually enjoy a whole bunch) ... that's just

Same with Philadelphia, P.A.

In Philly it only applies to philly, the rest of the state is business as usual. Go figure? (Because it's unconstitutional.)

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Do my eyes deceive me?

Is this....Is this a situation where the Federal Government ACTUALLY has a legal and constitutional right to intervene?

My God. Its full of legality!

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   
New York City has crossed the line in their attack on Amanda Graves, and NY State should step in and stop this nonsense.

The separate issues involved here that justify a response of wrath from Tennessee:

1: The first issue are the laws of New York and NYC. On this first issue Amanda Graves (and only her) are at fault. Are the laws constitutional or unfair? Usually, this is strictly an issue of NYC and the state. The state of Tennessee would have no business interfering or acting upon this issue beyond support of a citizen.

2: The enforcement and prosecution of the law. Judges and prosecutors should have some 'judgment and discretion' applied to their laws.In this case, mandatory sentencing will hamstring the judge and prosecutor from being able to apply any judgement and discretion. This could be a constitutional issue, and might deserve involvement from the Tennessee judiciary should a case be filed representing a constitutional violation of a Tennessee citizen by NYC or NY State. Otherwise this would deserve no higher response nor any of the reactions of this thread.

3: The response of the EXECUTIVE branch of the government.
THIS IS WHERE NYC CROSSES THE LINE and should earn the wrath of any Tennessee citizen!
Mayor Bloomberg slandering Amanda Graves is nothing but generating political rhetoric to support his agenda, at the expense of Amanda Graves and to a much lesser extent citizens of Tennessee.

A visitor from another state violating the law and being prosecuted for it is nothing to make a campaign.

But a visitor's character and career and even freedom being destroyed by a local government figure in such a blatant and scandalous attack deserves response from all branches of the Tennessee government.

So, far as I am concerned, NYC can stay in their city, and the resf of us can stay out and protect common sense. If NY State doesn't step up to the plate with an executive order to dismiss, and Mayor Bloomberg can't get his head out of his ass and make amends to Amanda and the state of Tennessee, then put Tennessee on alert for NY ID's and plates for 'special enforcement'.

I see special lines at all the music festivals and theme parks in Tennessee this year for NY visitors, with private searches accompanied by the sounds of snapping latex and screaming.

edit on 22-1-2012 by lakesidepark because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   
The replies to the OP reminds me very much of how people interpret the Bible. Many times giving personal opinion instead of allowing the Bible to translate itself.

So, in order to remain with in the bounds of American Dogma, we must All re-read what the Supreme Rule actually says, then we as loyal Americans change our personal feelings accordingly.

Amendment 2 - Right to Bear Arms. Ratified 12/15/1791. Note
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

It seems very clear when you allow the Constitution to speak for itself.

In the United States NO Government shall infringe on the Right for the Citizen to bear arms. That is No Federal, or State Government, Period.

That is the Supreme Rule.

It does not matter what any of our personal opinions are. You can disagree, or agree, it does not matter.

But,

If you do not support the Supreme Rule, this does make you Anti-American.

We as a Nation have collectively forgotten what the word “Rights” mean to Americans.

“Rights” are NOT Privileges.

“Rights” are NOT bestowed to us by Government.

“Rights” are given to us by GOD.

We the People need to re-learn what the meaning of “Rights” is and when we then apply that meaning to the Second amendment a clearer understanding emerges.

We the People, being the Government, recognize that every citizen has been give permission, by GOD, the Right to bear arms, and we collectively agree through our contract with one another, the Constitution, that we do indeed recognize this as fact, and that we collectively agree that We the People (the Government) will not infringe on this Right.

As we all can recognize from this case in New York, that the People of New York (the Government of New York) have indeed broken their contract with the rest of the UNITED States.

So, who involved in this case has done the most damage to our society ?

On one hand we have a Citizen, who has the Right to bear arms, intending to do the right thing, follow the signs, freely and openly admits to a Governmental Agent, the representative of the People of New York that she is exercising her Right to bear Arms, but she reads the sign saying that this was not allowed, and intending to cooperate was willing to follow the procedures.

On the other hand we have the People of New York, who engaged in deception, lied straight face to this woman, Knowingly entered in to a Breed of Contract with the rest of us by infringing on a lawful citizen, in good standing, her GOD given Right to bear Arms.

So, in my opinion the one who has done the most damage to the Free Society is the People of New York.

What say you Citizen, while you still have the “Right” of free speech.

Because in the United States this Right is also being chipped away as well.

We the People must start making the distention between, “Rights” and Privilege (permission).

Either we believe in Rights or we don’t.

Either we remain Free or we don’t.

This is what is at stake here.

Freedom or Tyranny.

Our Choice

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by brokedown

Sorry for this interference from a non-US person, but does it say on the US constitution or in any of the amendments that the rights were given by god?

Thanks in advance.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

No. As Alexander Hamilton said shortly after the Constitution was ratified, the Founding Fathers "forgot" to mention the word "God" anywhere in the document. God is neither mentioned specifically or even hinted at anywhere in the United Stated Constitution.

However, Thomas Jefferson and many of the other intellectual minds of the day (Locke, Rousseau, Washington, etc.) believed in so-called "natural" or "un-alienable" right. These were given to us at birth and cannot be restrained, removed, or repealed. Each of the first 10 amendments (Bill of Rights) of the Constitution are considered these natural rights.

Just as the United States governments (Fed, State, Local) have no power to encroach on the freedom of speech, press, assembly, etc., they also have no power to (constitutionally) limit our right to bear arms. But, it happens anyway.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
i did a search in google for Amanda Graves which is the name the OP posted and found nothing

the womens name is Meredith Graves

www.outdoo... rlife.com/blogs/gun-shots/2012/01/meredith-graves-arrested-accidentally-breaking-nyc-gun-law-could-face-three-

what it is saying in this story is that EVEN THOUGH the Bill of Rights states that you as a US citizen have the right to own a firearm and carry it where ever you want, and even though she had all the paper work she still has to do a minimum of 3 1/2 years because New York gun laws can somehow go around the constitution.

To add insult to injury, when police searched Graves, they found white powder in her purse. She told officers it was BC Aspirin powder. They tested it to determine if it was coc aine. The test confirmed it was BC Aspirin powder. She was never charged with coc aine possession.

But that didn't stop Bloomberg from accusing Graves of coc aine possession repeatedly in subsequent press conferences

"Let's assume that she didn't get arrested for carrying a gun," he said. "She probably would have gotten arrested for the coc aine that was in her pocket."

the terrible mayor of new york city who is anti 2nd amendment

In a Jan. 10 press release, the Second Amendment Foundation alleged that Bloomberg's comments weren't a mere slip of the tongue, but the perpetuation of his attacks on gun-owners, the Bill of Rights, and U.S. Constitution

i feel for this women and anyone else who it has effect/affected if New York State legislation can get around one of our rights, one that i take pretty seriously then what is next

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
And people say the south is backwards. At least down here you still have some rights left. I guess some people like living in a police state.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

lol How can they arrest someone,and take their gun away when that person was making sure they knew she had a gun,and was trying to check it in?

It's not like she was hiding the fact!

It's the dumbest thing I ever heard of.Someone tries to do good and they arrest her for it..What kind of a world do we live in?

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
nys is incredibly corrupt but as a gun owner she should have been proactive in getting information in regards to the legality of carrying in a different state

with that said i live here in ny and i hate it here

i have personally called out my cities police department on local news websites comments and i have had police use police resources to privately stalk me and admit to it in correspondence

working directly with sergeants and detectives my family personally knows i was able to resolve some issues, but the rest still plague my city and my neighborhood

i have personally watched as the city police have made drugs disappear while i was watching them from my front door

nys is evil, vile and something MUST be done to stop whats happening in this state

speaking as a western nyer, we the people of ny, demand our state split apart from NYC and all of their corruption oppression and leaching of our resources!

death to cuomo slaughter and schumer for treason along with the rest of them!

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Also if she was dumb enough to take a gun downtown to the financial district then she is obviously dumb enough to "jump the gun" on any situation that was unique to her simple Tennessee brain.

The more I think about this the more I laugh, and the more I realize she deserves it. For someone dumb enough to bring a loaded weapon to WTC Memorial (LOL, "I'm gonna kiwll me sum al kayeda if thuy mess with meay!") then she is not responsible enough to own a weapon.

Lady you have embarrassed yourself and the state of Tennessee (which doesn't need much help).

Though, people of the forum like I said, I'm a New Yorker, and a Tennessean, and a Gemini.... so this situation really has me torn up. Part Redneck who first started shooting at the age of 3, and been doing plays and drinking too much coffee since 18....

She's still an idiot though.

im from the boston ma area, gun laws are pretty tough up here but I don't agree with what is happening to this poor women.

i qouted this just to show how you are the one who is EMBARRASSING the rest of this great country, its people like you. you call this poor women an idoit behind your computer sitting in your cozy house or apartment yet i guaruntee you she is 10x smarter then you, yes she made a mistake not knowing the states gun laws. but if you ask me her constitutional rights are being violated here the very rights you are taking full advantage of on this forum

and also you calling the NYPD a gang, do you know and police officers personally because i do im actually trying to become a MA State Trooper. theres a reason its one of the most dangerous jobs in the country because of the uncertainty. take a gun away from a cop and your pretty much saying to all the gangsters and scumbags out there that its open season on what ever you want to do because who is going to stop you. take a gun away from a cop what happens when he/she goes to make an arrest and some scum bag pulls a gun on them there just going to get waxed

you sir have embarrassed all of us thank you

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join