It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nearly 20% of women in the US are raped, study reveals

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
In the South ... i rarely hear of rape or see it in the Tribunes or the Star. I rarely hear about it from a Social Network of friends , and the Rape i hear about it at the college i go to was usually a girl who wanted to have sex and let a guy wasted climb on top of her and she change her mind which is very rare , i actually i have only heard one rape and it was that story at my college i am attending.

Now , rape is rape. I just don't hear about it enough where i live for it to register much on the radar. I honestly don't see , in my neck of the wood , there is this much rape going on.

All of our women are treated rather well where i live ... hell there was a story a few months back about how over half of the domestic violence cases were women beating their man. lol , it was a true report but was more of a , give you a smile , type articles.

Now in the North where there are so many different cultures and people ... i simply don't know about.

I hope this report is exaggerated in all honesty , if you ladies get tired of those Yankees come on down to the south and we will stuff you with food and trucks
lol
edit on 04/30/2011 by milkyway12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by CranialSponge

have you ever heard the expression "looking for a fight"?

if someone goes out with the intention of provoking someone else, but doesn't actually physically assault the other person, they still hold some blame. if they got beat down, what would you say "psh. they got what they deserved". it is the same situation with girls wearing practically nothing flirting with every guy they see.

my other friend was brutally raped by her neighbor when she was 14. i felt very sad for her. it actually broke my heart to know that. but for the first friend, she found what she was looking for. what he did was wrong, but her actions weren't any better. she broke a lot of hearts because she was selfish, and the attention of one man wasn't enough.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
I have 1 mother, 4 sisters, 6 nieces, 3 sisters-in-law, 1 spouse, and 2 daughters. Throw in 3 close female family friends to round up to 20. To make the 20% statistic work, 4 of them would need to have been raped. None of them have been.
1 out of every 5 women you know must have been raped; just think about it. Utter fun-with-numbers to kick start an agenda.

Rape is bad, sad, evil, disgusting, etc... 1% would be a bad statistic and still probably too high of a factual number. Why the need to lie about it?

To assume and believe 20% of women have been raped, one must also assume close to 20% of men are rapists. There are more women in the US vs men but of course there could be serial rapists out there so we can adjust to about 18.5% of men that must be rapists.

Fear/hate mongering at it's finest.

edit on 15-12-2011 by primus2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by milkyway12
In the South ... i rarely hear of rape or see it in the Tribunes or the Star. .

Uh huh.

And the other mantra of the South is: Keep it in the family. Handle it within the family. etc.

Don't tarnish the family. Settle it with God.

I am not surprised at all that it is not openly discussed in the south.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Dont know where you got that from.

It is gossip central down here. This isn't the 1800s. lol

Hell , you'd be killed down here for touching some one's daughter. Every one carries guns and knows most people in town.
edit on 04/30/2011 by milkyway12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
There is an animalistic instinct in men from our species earlier days and it hasn't gone anywhere, but the society has outgrown the need for it, and we now live in a state of repression.

There is also an opportunistic instinct in women from our species' earlier days that--unlike mens' primal instincts, which have had to be repressed--are still being used in full force today. I am speaking, of course, about women using their sexuality to gain attention and get what they want. Many women--especially those who are above-average attractive--thrive quite nicely in the power they knowingly wield over men.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by primus2012
I have 1 mother, 4 sisters, 6 nieces, 3 sisters-in-law, 1 spouse, and 2 daughters. Throw in 3 close female family friends to round up to 20.

Do you honestly think I told anyone in my family I was raped?

Believe me - - you don't know.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   

I worked hard with him - - explaining the difference between Lust anl LOVE.

If you are chemically (LUST) attracted to someone - - you better make a list of your own wants and needs. If they don't fit that list

Sounds like you and I share similar brains LOL. I did the same with my daughter and

***to those raising the subject of dress actions like drinking*** We covered that also, she was is to this day very modest and very sensitive to textures so , and up until about a year ago she wore nearly exclusively those wide legged skater type pants and over sized. strictly Comfortable and NOT form fitting. And she was against drinking so didn't get drunk...and I was her and her friends chauffeur and chaperone so.none of the stereotypes fit.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
The following is a true story...of what happened to me.

Several years ago...I used to hang out at a fairly large...cafe...I was a regular there...often I would go there alone...to think have coffee and visit with a couple of the waitresses.

One night...I was sitting at a table alone...drinking my coffee...I think I was on my third cup...I left the table to use the rest room. I came back to the table and drank the rest of that cup of coffee...about 20 minutes later...I became dizzy, feeling my muscles relaxing and somewhat disoriented. I got up went out to get a cab....and a group of men (who were either from Iraq or Iran) came up to me...said they wanted to help me.

There was a hotel above the restaurant....they took me in my disoriented state up to a room in the hotel...(they strong-armed me). I was forced to go into a hotel room with one of the men. He locked the door....and I realized then I was in trouble....he physically attacked me....I know martial arts...and I battled this man for 20 minutes....but I could not fight as usual.....(I found out later they had put a muscle relaxer in my coffee)...finally he pinned me down and rapped me....I remembered to keep my eyes open and memorize his face....his expression was demonic...after...he pulled a knife out...and he was going to slash my throat...I cried out loud "Jesus save me; help me!"...(and this is very true) after I yelled that an unseen force...slammed him against the dresser; he dropped the knife...looked at me and said "get your clothes and leave' go drink your ice water and coffee!"

I grabbed my clothes and purse...and walked out ....I then ran down the hall.....a man in another room (who was Hawaiian) quietly led me down to the lobby....I then had the front desk call the police.

To this day...I still have post traumatic stress disorder...and I am still healing from this experience.

Rape is a violent cruel act....the above is what happened to me.

A cab driver friend of mine at the time...did some of his own detective work...and found out that I had been watched for a while....what my habits were etc.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by unworldly
Practically 100% of women are never raped who know how to use common sense and avoid people and situations that are best left alone. Yet, despite the fact that the world is becoming more dangerous to live in--not less--women are more enthralled than ever with partying, badboys, and a lifestyle that is anything but safe.

So, you're saying that we should just avoid ALL men, then? You do realize that most rapes are committed by acquaintances, boyfriends, and yes, even husbands, right? Not some random stranger (although that does happen, too).

There is no way to tell who is a rapist and who isn't.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by brokedown
All I can say is B### S### !

In no way is 20% of the females in the US a victim of Rape.

in my little world of friends & associates, there appears to be 20% or 1-in-5 females have stated they
were in a sexually compromising situation with someone in the immediate family...

now i find that shocking, because the deep wound of sexual intimidation by an immediate family member is a lot more hidden than a general complaint of a date gone sour & the guy acting like a animal in heat/ rutting mode

just a unwanted touch or a intimate kiss attempt may be construed as an attempted 'Rape' scenario..

so i do not put my full faith on the OP report... i generally believe the numbers are skewed for the effect they generate

thanks

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
"One out of five women are raped" is propaganda to justify the belief that men are evil. Liberals and their lies

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by unworldly

i agree.

you don't go around poking a bear. it might be amusing at first, but can you blame the bear completely for attacking? does poking a bear with a stick until it can't take it anymore make the person a "victim"?

if rape is taking someone against their will, can't that also apply to seduction?

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by milkyway12
reply to post by Annee

Dont know where you got that from.

It is gossip central down here. This isn't the 1800s. lol

Hell , you'd be killed down here for touching some one's daughter. Every one carries guns and knows most people in town.

I grew up in the 50s. "Throwback time". Certain things were hidden and never discussed. Not even through gossip. Totally kept in the family.

And I worked for a company out of Peachtree City GA. Lovely boss - - who told me she could stab me in the back - twist the knife - - - and never lose her Southern charm.

I live in Arizona - - everyone carries a gun. Rape may be handled privately - - someone may end up dead in a canal - - but you're never going to hear about the rape.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   

I have 1 mother, 4 sisters, 6 nieces, 3 sisters-in-law, 1 spouse, and 2 daughters. Throw in 3 close female family friends to round up to 20. To make the 20% statistic work, 4 of them would need to have been raped. None of them have been.

No, it doesn't work that way. The 20% is randomly distributed so you can't say that no one in your family having been raped invalidates the premise. And it's very unlikely that they'd tell you--a male--if they'd been raped. You guys are way too likely to just brush it off and not take them seriously.

To assume and believe 20% of women have been raped, one must also assume close to 20% of men are rapists. There are more women in the US vs men but of course there could be serial rapists out there so we can adjust to about 18.5% of men that must be rapists.

It might be higher. A lot of men, especially married ones, have a different view of what constitutes rape. If a woman tells you no and you don't listen, it's rape. Police don't want to hear that a man raped his wife. In the state I live in, spousal rape was legal until 1995 and a lot of authorities don't want to get involved in domestics.

Someone mentioned Buss and evolutionary psychology earlier. I'd recommend you read some of his work.

edit on 12/15/2011 by HappyBunny because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

I have 1 mother, 4 sisters, 6 nieces, 3 sisters-in-law, 1 spouse, and 2 daughters. Throw in 3 close female family friends to round up to 20.

Do you honestly think I told anyone in my family I was raped?

Believe me - - you don't know.

I'm sorry it happened to you, truly. I abhor the thought of it. The fact that it happened to you alone is reason for everyone to be mad and sad and aware.
But those statistics are just plain impossible and improbable. I know that I, and every male family member and friend I am close with are incapable of such an act.

It is just and righteous for there to be an anti-rape crusade, but you cannot point the finger at every fifth man you encounter and spout "rapist". Just like you can't look at every fifth woman and label them "victim". It's not fair to either sex now is it?

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by primus2012

I have a very hard time believing this. My wife and her sister come from a very nice family. Intact family. Both parents are professionals, down to earth, etc. The two daughters are normal daughters, not too hard of partiers, this isn't a big city, there isn't anything odd or unique about them. Both of them have multiple stories of what would constitute rape. Neither has ever called the police, nor did they really even think of it as rape at the time.

One story was my wife at a friend's house, not a party, just a few friends. Got drunk, went to her friends room and laid down to go to sleep. She woke up later, already mostly undressed, with a naked guy trying to get the job done. She pushed on him told him to stop, but it backfired and her squirming actually helped him. Of course, he negotiated and apologized and tried to convince her it was ok, all the while he was already doing what he wanted to be doing, but eventually he caved in to her demands and he got up and left.

It was still RAPE!

Would your friends, and nieces, and in-laws share the intimate details of every half-ass encounter they ever had? I think you are pretty naive assuming none of them have had this type of experience. As I said earlier, I've heard just about every woman I've ever known speak of such encounters casually as if they weren't that big of a deal.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
A co-worker of mine once said, "It is a dam shame that God gave us two heads but only enough blood to work them one at a time."

Actually, I think that was Robin Williams.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

Likely they were watching you for a while and knew your habit of going there regularly.

Your unattended cup was a huge breech of safety.

Most people would figure a bar or club or private party is where there's a risk being drugged but it's really anywhere.

Even in the home of a trusted friend. Or in the case of a diner the staff if not other patrons.

I cant eat at pot luck events because I'm always thinking there's some crazy Jonestown nut spiking the Kool-Aide or thinking it'd be funny to feed us all laxative laden lasagna.

I got some pretty intense trust issues for better or worse.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by HappyBunny

Really?!?!?

I only ever heard it from 1 source, and it was a cowboy/maintenance man that worked on the machinery of a factory I used to work at. I always loved it, and I have repeated it for years, but I never knew it had a famous source.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join