It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Websites Want Foreigners To "Help" Choose U.S. President

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 03:15 PM
link   
It may be a 'symbolic gesture' for now, but let's hope the U.N. doesn't get wind of this idea...

Should the World Vote Before the Next U.S. Election?

Arguments are circulating on the internet on giving citizens of the world a voice in the election of the next U.S. president. In a primarily symbolic gesture www.theworldvotes.org/ seeks to apply new technologies to mobilize citizens around the world to have their say on matters that affect not only U.S. citizens, in particular in this post-Sept. 11 era . Yoichi Funabashi, a foreign affairs columnist for The Asahi Shimbun, argues for giving everyone a voice in picking the world's leader both on this site and in the article Why Not a World Poll Before the U.S. Election on www.yaleglobal.yale.edu. "Periodically taking the temperatures of the world's Internet users would not constitute a revolution in U.S. policymaking. American politicians are used to relying on domestic opinion polls to gauge the political winds." Though it is obvious that web users don't represent the views of all their fellow citizens, it is a first attempt in an age where many issues go beyond national borders and elections to promote an international dialogue. How much influence and voice should the rest of the world have in an election that will, in turn, influence their lives?

[edit on 9/6/2004 by ThunderCloud]

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Just as long as we get to vote for their leaders as well

If this did ever happen then essentially we might as well vote for a "world leader" of sorts, as it would be utter nonsense to have every country vote for every other countries leader. That would be too much time, and people would spend everyday of thier lives just trying to learn about each candidate.

Of course, its quite funny how people like this say the world should vote for our president, but that we should have no say in their leaders. That's a little discrimination if you ask me.

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jazzerman
If this did ever happen then essentially we might as well vote for a "world leader" of sorts,

What are you talking about, we already have a world leader. This is what it looks like for the Leader of the World trying to come up with an idea.

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Looks like he is channeling spirits or transmitting psychic energy in that picture rather than trying to think of an idea.

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 06:29 PM
link   
I think the concept has some validity, but it should be also for other signifigent countries in the world.

If the world voted for an american president, then so much of the kneejerk pleas to nationalism will be useless. All the flag waving jingoism that currently is the language of the election wouldn't cut any ice with international voters,

In the end it might not be Bush or Kerry who get it. instead a stable level headed, world inclusive leader may emerge who can be seen to fairly exercise the massive power of the united States to benefit the global world instead of just their own interests.

If that came to pass I would be more than happy to have the world vote on my national leader. Howeer it would make the world a more boring place...

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 06:39 PM
link   
I am against it.

If they dont like our leader they should invade us and replace him with a puppet like we do.

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk
I am against it.

If they dont like our leader they should invade us and replace him with a puppet like we do.

That's right! We're invading and this will be your new President.

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 06:49 PM
link   
If I cant get into her cabinet can I still get into her drawers?

Sorry

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Well, the crux of the matter is, the President of the United States also has the informal title "Leader of the Free World", and a number of his policies affect other countries worldwide. However, when people from other countries participate in electoral forums or what have you, it happens (not too often, thank God) that we're told that these are American issues that should be left to the American people. So there's a bit of a contradiction...

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 07:50 PM
link   
intrepid,

we surrender....if anyone has a problem with that they can talk to me.

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Seeing and the US president is seen a sthe leader of the free world, i think the free world should have a say... abviously not as much as the US citizens have... maybe a half or quarter vote?

Seeing as the US interferes in other countries soveriegnty i dont see why the world shouldnt have a say in the USA's leadership. Also the what the US does affect most of the rest of the world so i feel we should be entitlled to a partial vote to save our asses

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Sorry

OK now THAT has to be the funniest thing I have seen on here YET.

Where is the Source from this article?

We have problems as it is for registered voters to vote, so how would this make any difference?

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Im with Amuk on this one,

If you dont like our choice of leadership or governmental style,
swim your butts over and take over
if you think you can.

As far as the USA having alot of worldly influence, sure we do.
But some of you seem to think that this is a one way street....
hey if you dont like something that the USA is doing, then why dont you cut some trade, impose sanctions against us, close your embassies, etc???
Id think that laying there and being complacent, doing nothing more than flapping your oral orifice is a passive condonment of whats being done.
Dont blame the USA for your complacency.

[edit on 7-9-2004 by CazMedia]

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 02:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by CazMedia
Im with Amuk on this one,

If you dont like our choice of leadership or governmental style,
swim your butts over and take over
if you think you can.

As far as the USA having alot of worldly influence, sure we do.
But some of you seem to think that this is a one way street....
hey if you dont like something that the USA is doing, then why dont you cut some trade, impose sanctions against us, close your embassies, etc???
Id think that laying there and being complacent, doing nothing more than flapping your oral orifice is a passive condonment of whats being done.
Dont blame the USA for your complacency.

[edit on 7-9-2004 by CazMedia]

What the hell are you talking about. You can't get 60% of the voters out to the polls. It's an internal problem, then you bitch, "Oh, the world hates us." Of coarse they do, if you don't get out there and vote, it's the same as allowing that megelomaniac to do what he wants. No vote = Bush OK. Seems like an easy equation to me.

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Sorry

Too funny Amuk. Heck Id vote for her just think of the influence she could have when meeting world leaders, Bunch of old men I bet we would have the best foriegn relations we ever had

[edit on 7-9-2004 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 03:04 AM
link   
Well if as its been described foreign relatins is one country fuc*ing another she would make the U.S. verrrry poular

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Intrepids favorite target asks,
What the hell are YOU talking about?

It doesnt matter how mamy voters here turn out..or who the president is....other countries are entitled to their opinions about us and can take phoney votes until their blue in the face...

The bottom line is if countries didnt like what the USA is doing politically or even in acts, they do have a choice of continuing business as usual with us, or sending us messages thru actions, up to and including waging war.

If other countries "hate" us or our actions...too bad...i dont like alot of stuff some nations do either....do something about it or stop whining. the choice is theirs....
perhaps IF there was actually some teeth behind this "bad American" crap some of us would listen harder, but as this has NOT manifested in more than just lip flapping, then ultimatly what have they done to oppose us?
nada, zip, zero, nothing....
We americans are jaded about "web-polls" now...like we'd swallow some new one as if it was gospel...

How/who would verify the accuracy of such a internet vote/poll anyway?
lets just make up a web site and say we got this many votes?
what if it was hacked?
Who cares
these votes wouldnt count anyway and would be a waste of electrons spewing more anti americanism into cyberspace.

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 04:02 AM
link   
wait, wait...I couldn't resist....

Versus:

[edit on 9-7-2004 by Loki]

new topics

top topics

join