It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mexico Acknowledges 2nd Mayan Reference to 2012

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Mexico's archaeology institute downplays theories that the ancient Mayas predicted some sort of apocalypse would occur in 2012, but on Thursday it acknowledged that a second reference to the date exists on a carved fragment found at a southern Mexico ruin site.

Most experts had cited only one surviving reference to the date in Mayan glyphs, a stone tablet from the Tortuguero site in the Gulf coast state of Tabasco.

But the National Institute of Anthropology and History said in a statement that there is in fact another apparent reference to the date at the nearby Comalcalco ruin. The inscription is on the carved or molded face of a brick. Comalcalco is unusual among Mayan temples in that it was constructed of bricks.

Just came across this and wanted to share it with my fellow ats members.
From what I can gather it is not fully agreed upon yet that the "Comalcalco Brick" is a definite reference to Dec. 21, 2012 or Dec. 23, 2012 theory compared to the first finding and reference found on the Tortuguero tablet, as some researchers believe the Comalcalco Brick could of been referring to another ancient date of historical significance.

So what do guys/gals think? Is it another reference to our present timeline or could it of been referencing another event/date in the past?

looking forward to everyone's opinion on the stone and it's relation to the 2012 theories.

Both inscriptions — the Tortuguero tablet and the Comalcalco brick — were probably carved about 1,300 years ago and both are cryptic in some ways. The Tortuguero inscription describes something that is supposed to occur in 2012 involving Bolon Yokte, a mysterious Mayan god associated with both war and creation.

Source

ETA: I found this of interest as well "However, erosion and a crack in the stone make the end of the passage almost illegible, though some read the last eroded glyphs as perhaps saying, "He will descend from the sky."

At the very bottom the article mentions it is organizing a "special" roundtable of Maya experts & researchers to expel popular rumors that have been spread concerning 2012 and the majority of it's "end of the world" theories that surround it.

Given the strength of Internet rumors about impending disaster in 2012, the institute is organizing a special round table of 60 Mayan experts next week at the archaeological site of Palenque, in southern Mexico, to "dispel some of the doubts about the end of one era and the beginning of another, in the Mayan Long Count calendar."

I know this subject has been beaten to death but I am curious what everyone thinks-

What is your take? do you think something will happen of significance? or do you think it is complete hype & misunderstanding of Mayan history,astrology & prophecy?

At the end of the day I believe at the very least...2012 could become a 'self fulfilling prophecy'.
look at how people respond & act to major storms or the holiday season,rushing around,buying out stores for food/water.I think there will definitely be issues with people panicking with the notion of something possibly happening.

I know I am going to prepare for the worst case scenario...Anything is possible,you just never know.

Way I see it,it would be better to have what you need and never use it compared to something really happening and not being fully prepared, just in case.

edit on 24-11-2011 by PerfectPerception because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Thanks for posting - the AP article was really interesting, I was surprised to see some of the things mentioned from a pretty reputable source.

Also interesting:

"The Comalcalco brick is also odd in that the molded or inscribed faces of the bricks were probably laid facing inward or covered with stucco, suggesting they were not meant to be seen."

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   
You can die any second. Your heart could just stop beating. It happens all of the time. That is the end of the world for you. That will happen billions of times within this century. No new age required.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   
wow - i have three christmas calenders, so fer sure the world will end on 12/24/11 ^^

Stuart said the date inscribed on the brick "'is a Calendar Round,' a combination of a day and month position that will repeat every 52 years."

The brick date does coincide with the end of the 13th Baktun; Baktuns were roughly 394-year periods and 13 was a significant, sacred number for the Mayas. The Mayan Long Count calendar begins in 3114 B.C., and the 13th Baktun ends around Dec. 21, 2012.

But the date on the brick could also correspond to similar dates in the past, Stuart said.

anyway - wasnt there somehow the info around that the "real" date is in 2011?
edit on 24-11-2011 by Hessdalen because: mindcontrol

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Better link.

The coming year will be very interesting whether you believe in prophecies or not. There is so much on the verge of happening that we're sure to see some significant change in the world, whether that change be positive or negative is still unknown, but either way, 2012 is sure to be a year of change.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
These tablets are just like the sumerian tablets, not verifiable. They are no different than "the ten commandments" or the mormon tablets that smith guy wrote or whatever
Meaning they are a matter of unverifiable opinion. And the mexicans will milk this in every way they can for all they can.
edit on 24-11-2011 by AllUrChips because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Its nice to see Mayans are sharing their historical artifacts.

I looked at that stone but saw no engravings in the forms of words/alphabet of any sort really and didnt get much out of the position of the "native" on its face, I guess youd have to examine it as part of the calendar. Even then youd need a mayan and some study of that ancient culture to know the meaning of the symbols and other engravings. So... its not really easy for me to form an opinion about it on the net outside of , "Cool rock bro!"

Leaves me with this. How does this stone show a date exactly ?
edit on 24-11-2011 by Nephalim because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 04:15 AM
link   
Thanks for the replies & thoughts.

I was looking some more info. pertaining to this particular discovery and I came across a pretty interesting site & article that can be found Here

Summary-

The Olmec-Mayan ruins at Comalcalco, near the modern city of Villahermosa in Tabasco State, are more than a small mystery to archeologists and other researchers who are studying the unique architectural style of the ancient city. For one, other Meso-American ruins of the region, indeed all the ancient world of the Maya, were built using hand carved limestone blocks -- not bricks.

But the mystery deepened when researchers discovered that when an oyster-base mortar used to bind the bricks was removed, it revealed various odd markings on the back of the bricks, including what is believed to be the brick makers fingerprints.

But it is the strange figures carved into the bricks that are most perplexing to archeologists. Pictured at the right is a comparative illustration that captured the attention, and imagination, of researchers. The symbols in the first six columns (from left to right) in the illustration are mason symbols from Roman bricks. The symbols in the six columns on the right were discovered behind the bricks excavated at Comalcalco. They appear to be almost identical.

The symbols in the first six columns (from left to right) in the illustration are mason symbols from Roman bricks. The symbols in the six columns on the right (Mayan/Olmec engravings) were discovered behind the bricks excavated at Comalcalco. They appear to be almost identical.-

So,the plot thickens it would seem.I need to do some more research on this but so far I've found a good bit of fascinating information in regards to Comalcalco,the engravings & the "Comalcalco brick"

What to you make of those engravings & their similarity with mason work originating from Rome!?

I believe there is a probably so much information & history that we are just completely left in the dark about or we are lead to believe one thing when in truth it could be something entirely different.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 05:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Nephalim

Where do you see the picture of the stone?
Can't find it.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 06:47 AM
link   
So now we have 2 date references. Neither date does anything other than list a date. There are no prophecies or warnings. This simply supports the position that 2012 is nothing more than a modern hoax.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 07:03 AM
link   
I think the entire 2012 project is more about people expectations and giving them life through social discourse rather than what may or may not actually happen. I was in the spiritualists when I was 17 (a LONG time ago) and they all said that in 1999 or 2000 the world was DEFINITELY going to "turn on it's axis" and destroy our civilization. This was around 1977. And, of course, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING happened. I think we can predict with absolute, 100 percent certainty that the same thing is going to happen next year.... nothing.. just more economic and social chaos and endless war.. you know.. the usual fair these senseless human beings continue to engage in...

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   
I really doubt anything will happen, maybe an alteration of consciousness for a lot of people might occur, and by what mechanism? If I say right now that in May 25th, 2025 something will occur, many people could believe something might happen, and in the end, that is how our consciousness evolves. I know I will wake up December 23rd 2012, and nothing will happen. Lol.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by stereologist
So now we have 2 date references. Neither date does anything other than list a date. There are no prophecies or warnings. This simply supports the position that 2012 is nothing more than a modern hoax.

The Tortuguero inscription describes something that is supposed to occur in 2012 involving Bolon Yokte, a mysterious Mayan god associated with both war and creation.

However, erosion and a crack in the stone make the end of the passage almost illegible, though some read the last eroded glyphs as perhaps saying, "He will descend from the sky."

did you actually read anything past first 2 lines? ... seriously some people are so close minded and so affraid of even discusing anything else except their view point it makes me wanna bang their head against the wall.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by PerfectPerception

cool link! alot of these characters look alot like nordic runes. the arrow symbol is the rune tyr , a 'sky god'!

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by AllUrChips
These tablets are just like the sumerian tablets, not verifiable. They are no different than "the ten commandments" or the mormon tablets that smith guy wrote or whatever
Meaning they are a matter of unverifiable opinion. And the mexicans will milk this in every way they can for all they can.

I agree, however you can't add the mormon (Moron) stones/tablets as they were never actually seen by anyone other then the idiot who claimed they existed and his co-conspirator.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alda1981

Originally posted by stereologist

The Tortuguero inscription describes something that is supposed to occur in 2012 involving Bolon Yokte, a mysterious Mayan god associated with both war and creation.

However, erosion and a crack in the stone make the end of the passage almost illegible, though some read the last eroded glyphs as perhaps saying, "He will descend from the sky."

did you actually read anything past first 2 lines? ... seriously some people are so close minded and so affraid of even discusing anything else except their view point it makes me wanna bang their head against the wall.

It's not so much close-minded people as people who don't/can't read. I don't know what they do but here's a hypothetical example:

OP: There is a stone with the date 2012 on it in mexico
(three more lines describing where in mexico)
This is what it says after the date inscription (text explaining details)

Idiot response: Eh 2012 blah blah blah, troll troll troll, Blah.

ATS should alter it's motto to read: Deny Ignorance and ignorant people who don't bother reading an entire post before making dumb-ass comments.

This happens WAY too often on here.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by ypperst
reply to post by Nephalim

Where do you see the picture of the stone?
Can't find it.

Well when you google the words "Comalcalco brick" you run into a broad source of information, you might even run into a codex, maybe even the Salazar Brick(s). On much of the Mayan work (as well as foreign) you see graphical representations of people and animals on the stones. One image result pulled up a tribal figure. Course the Mayan studies are old as old gets in terms of what we consider old yes? The comalcan bricks are not just one brick it may seem- but also representations of other peoples. So think several bricks, several stones, several artifacts. Its rather likely that they are probably finding these in Mayan "learning centers." Or centers of other sorts.

Something that might help, is looking into anything Spain has, Africa, US, maybe the Roman church at first guesses. The search becomes a project, very wide and vast very quickly. I know that when Columbus (A Genoan) ran into the isles east of Mexico by his third/fourth voyages, he mentioned "others" which were other sorts of "Natives" he encountered, likely from mainlands or central America (Honduras and Point Caxinas for example) , they sent the religion for colonization to several parts. So consider tradeposts. Spices, cloths, special beans ect..

Among other searches you do hit Sumerian and Anunaki. So I dont really doubt your going to see what the op was referring to in terms of symbols in many countries histories. Trade alone of course, creates commons in communication and has a real impact on everyone who participates; especially those who do not.
edit on 25-11-2011 by Nephalim because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by PerfectPerception

That's interesting info but I am a bit skeptical about the symbols on the Roman bricks being the same as the olmec bricks. Why are there no pics of the symbols on the bricks? I also don't see it mentioned anywhere else but this website. It sounds a bit too good to be true, to be honest.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Sky god, false-flag alien offensive, who knows?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join