It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TX High School Students Made To Recite Mexican National Anthem, Pledge Of Allegiance

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBandit795
The national anthem and pledge of allegiance that they should've been learning is that of Spain. Castellano.

I don't know the Spanish national anthem, it might be a good idea for a future lesson, but Spain is a very small part of the population compared to Latin America, Mexico being the largest country of Spanish speakers. and in Spain the Spanish is a bit different, such as could be embarrassing here with certain words. For example a Saniard asking where to catch a bus:

"Oye, Señor. ¿Sabes usted por donde se coje el autobus?" He might get a reply like:

"Por atrás, cochino."

Coger has quite a different meaning throughout Latin America while in Spain it means "to catch."

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Reply to post by billy197300

2 years of foreign language is a requirement to graduate.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by mamabeth
reply to post by Signals

I watched it for exactly one minute and 45 seconds.
I wasn't too thrilled with the nazi type salute and stopped
there.

Noticed that also the nazi salute but when you do some history of the salute it was not the nazis that started it .

rexcurry.net...

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by TinkerHaus

Do you still speak the language? How many years did you take?

I took two years of Spanish. I live 30 minutes south of the city in the article. I still speak Spanish regularly and fluently.

If you sign up for a language in high school you are supposed to learn more than just the language.

Really?

What is the name of the course again?

How to write it, how to read it,

I can give you that.

local customs, history, geography, etc.

That is for Foreign History or World History. It has nothing to do with the language.

If you're not getting all of this out of your language classes than you are getting jipped.

The correct term is gypped, and is a slight against Gypsies.

Furthermore, you are in the class to learn the language.

I did not take English courses to learn about customs in Europe and the US. I took American History to learn history, not English III. I took World Geography to learn geography, not English IV.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I'm willing to bet the people who are upset by this fall into one or more of the following categories:

- Texans
- Racists
- People who never learned a foreign language
- Card carrying NRA members
- People who believe that Mexicans are taking US jobs
- People who still fly the Rebel Flag
- People who just like to be angry
- People who believe everyone in the USA should speak English, but don't bother to learn Spanish for their trips over the border.

I don't mean for this to be offensive, but this seems like a really small thing to get all bent up about.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
reply to post by Signals

If the school / admin / teachers want their students to learn the Mexican national anthem and Mexican pledge of alliegence, then maybe they should head across the border where it would be appropriate?

We have people who have no clue how their government works and instead of teaching them that, they opt to teach them about Mexico.

I'll say it again: cultural awareness.

Are you suggesting that we should only teach our students about ourselves and our own history, and that we should confine our students' education to a culturally selfish box of only these things, and that any education outside of our own cultural history should be obtained through visiting the various origins of the histories? Might as well scrap world history.

That's just silly.

I agree that were should make it a point to more strongly iterate our own government workings, but we have political science and and US history for that. Education, however, needs to be diversified. College is for specialty. How can we have a prosperous nation without a well rounded education? (lol, obviously we are failing in that)

Cultural ignorance is one reason our foreign policies as a nation are so screwed up, because we don't understand other cultures and their histories and because people continue to think we don't need to learn about them. Additionally, the seeming unimportance we place on education (when it is generally the first program to be cut), adds to our national ignorance and many of the problems we currently face.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I have a problem with my kids having to pledge alliegance to a flag, under god, but can't pray to god..wth?

its a class.. Where you learn a subject.. seriously, get over it!

My son is in a program where he is learning in spanish, kinder thru 5th.. In texas. he was mono lingual (eng) and now he's learning everything in spanish.. Even some mexican culture *GASP*...

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Erongaricuaro

It depends on with part of Latin America.

While the more urban areas stick to proper Spanish, the rural areas take on differences in the language.

Down here, we even have Tex-Mex or Spanglish, which everyone here and just south understands, but no one in Mexico City knows WTF you are talking about.

If you use proper Spanish, everyone will have an idea of what you are talking about, even though things can be taken differently.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by TinkerHaus

The only bad thing I saw in there was Racist.

So what is the problem here?

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh

The only bad thing I saw in there was Racist.

So what is the problem here?

No problem, just pointing out the predictability of the situation.

It's not a big deal, people. A teacher was teaching her students the subject they signed up for.

I know we have people saying they took a foreign language and ONLY learned the language, but all my experience shows that these classes in a high school setting ALWAYS teach about the culture, basic history, and geography of the major country that speaks the language being taught.

Someone was TEACHING your kids something, you got mad. Better we let these young minds rot, I suppose. Or teach them Intelligent Design.

Texas, sometimes you make me proud, other times you make me ashamed.
edit on 17-10-2011 by TinkerHaus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by SheeplFlavoredAgain
I can understand having to reproduce it in writing for a test but I always thought reciting a pledge of allegiance to any country was, well, pledging allegiance to that country. So I can understand why this would be upsetting to some students and parents. I don't think anyone should be forced to pledge allegiance to anything they don't believe in. Still, I have to wonder when the madness will end and people will stop being offended over every danged thing. It's getting ridiculous. Every week some group or another is offended about something. Life is full of offensive things. Save all that energy protesting things that truly bring harm. As sure as I type this I know my post will offend many people. So I will go back to my fall gardening after my coffee is gone to chill out.

You've been duped. Reciting a pledge of allegiance does nothing at all. Literally nothing. It's merely speaking aloud.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Yes, learned to read and write the language. I only took one year, but my son is into his second year and they are not made to learn this either. I have no problem learning about other cultures, etc. I don't have a problem with learning what their national anthem or pledge of allegiance is about. I do have a problem requiring students to recite them. Until we can teach our students about their own heritage and their countries history, how government works (or doesn't as the case is now), and educating them to compete on the world stage then there is no valid reason to tech them this stuff. Our educational system is a joke, and everyone know it. In less than 50 years we have gone from leading the world in education to falling to the rear of the pack. It's no wonder when we waste our resources on this type of crap.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh
Reply to post by billy197300

2 years of foreign language is a requirement to graduate.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

Sorry man, but your wrong. Maybe in a private school or something, but, public school....in Texas you do not have to have 2 years of foreign language to graduate.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by haarvik

there is no valid reason to tech them this stuff. Our educational system is a joke, and everyone know it.

Funny, i think you mean teach. I guess it is a joke then.
edit on 17-10-2011 by billy197300 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I was going to post this yesterday but decided not to. Oh well, I'll comment now. The kids are in a freaking Spanish class. Who gives a crap if they sing the Mexican national anthem? When I took Spanish we made the food, learned some songs, watched some tv shows etc... This hurt nobody. It's not like they were forced to do it instead of our pledge or national anthem. It was in a Spanish class for bleeps sake.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
If it was anything but a Spanish class or Cinco de Mayo then I would think it's odd. In this case not so much. Indoctrination into what? In your own words, "How far is this right-wing nonsense and hate going to go"?

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by mamabeth
reply to post by Signals

I watched it for exactly one minute and 45 seconds.
I wasn't too thrilled with the nazi type salute and stopped
there.

You do realize that "nazi type salute" is actually the roman salute that even the US used to use during the pledge of allegiance?

A simple hand gesture doesn't mean you agree with Hitler.

That is a pretty weak complaint.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

"..teach them about Mexico. "

Ridiculous huh?.. teaching kids about Mexico in a Spanish class.. clearly bombing Iraq should be the #1 topic.. lol

Saying it for an assignment is one thing.. it's just a few language relevant sentences folks, relax.. did it in the 80's for Spanish and German classes.

.. reciting any pledge ad nauseum is indoctrination... and creepy.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Here is a curriculum for Spanish IV.

Notice it highlights learning about the cultures and customs of SPANISH SPEAKING COUNTRIES.

This town being only 10 miles from the Mexican border, and the teacher most likely being of Mexican decent, it makes sense that she would teach them the Mexican Anthem and Pledge.

Yes, the general curriculum calls for learning about the cultures and customs. Again, par for the course when you're taking a foreign language.

Spanish IV Curriculum

ETA: If you would like you can check the curriculum for other levels and languages here. You could also check your local high schools online or by calling them to ask if basic history/culture is taught in their language classes. I'm taking bets if anyone would like to place one. I'll give you 5 to 1 odds.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
And of course...relevant information was left out of the OP.

From the article

When Brenda made clear she would not stand up and recite the pledge, she was given an alternative assignment: an essay on the history of the Mexican revolution.

Hey....look at that....no one was forced to do it if they didn't want to.

More manufactured controversy.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join