It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TX High School Students Made To Recite Mexican National Anthem, Pledge Of Allegiance

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   

TX High School Students Made To Recite Mexican National Anthem, Pledge Of Allegiance

www.theblaze .com

Students in a Texas public high school were made to stand up and recite the Mexican national anthem and Mexican pledge of allegiance as part of a Spanish class assignment, but the school district maintains there was nothing wrong with the lesson.

It happened last month in an intermediate Spanish class at Achieve Early College High School in McAllen, Texas — a city located about 10 miles from the U.S.-Mexico border.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
More from the story:

Wearing red, white and green, students had to memorize the Mexican anthem and pledge and stand up and recite them in individually in front of the class.

She said she was particularly offended because the presentations in teacher Reyna Santos’s class took place during “Freedom Week,” the week after the 10th anniversary of the Sept. 11 terror attacks, and on U.S. Constitution Day — the same day as Mexico’s Independence Day.

Where does Political Correctness end?

It's almost like we are afraid to teach values and morals anymore to our kids, let's just embrace some other culture....forget ours...

www.theblaze .com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 17-10-2011 by Signals because: (no reason given)

+21 more 
posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
When I was in school the class was studying foreign countries and many of us had to recite or sing their anthems or pledges... mine was Canada. Was that wrong too?

Or is this only wrong because it is Mexico we are talking about here?

Not meant to be taken as a facetious question. It seems the sensitivity surrounding the Mexican community's proximity might make this a problem, whereas if it were Thailand, no one would bat an eye.
edit on 17-10-2011 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

I took French in Junior and High School.

We learned the French National Anthem, we learned French Geography, we learned the language. I don't recall any students or parents crying about it.

This is an example of idiots crying over nothing. Someone tries to teach something about the WORLD, and not just our little uneducated part of it, and the tears start rolling.

I hope the teacher is exonerated of any wrong doing. She was educating her students.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
The national anthem and pledge of allegiance that they should've been learning is that of Spain. Castellano.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I remember having to sing La Marsellaise in a French class at school but secretly we were screaming 'Agincourt!' in our minds.
Once more unto the breach....

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by TinkerHaus

She was educating her students.

Educating or indoctrinating?

Teaching or training?

It is a sensitive issue but I'd say the teacher's timing was a little off.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
How do you "pledge" to a national anthem? Reciting a national anthem is not the same as the U.S. pledge of allegiance that is forced in public schools. There is no harm here.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Well, this was a Spanish class assignment, so they could have recited any Hispanic country's national anthem and pledge of allegiance. But because Mexico is directly across the border from Texas, it makes much more sense.

Keywords: assignment, and Spanish Class.

I think it's more cultural awareness and education aimed at these students than it is "political correctness."

When i was in Spanish class a very long time ago, we once....learned the national anthem AND cooked Mexican food!

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
back when i was in spanish class if they had told me to do this i woulda flipped off the teacher when my turn came. good thing they didnt keep me in there for long. they stoped letting us pick languages to learn the year before because half the school district was hispanic anyway.
edit on 17-10-2011 by gougitousakusha because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
lol imagine a spanish class having to recite.....wait for it.............popular quotations or songs in..........wait for it...........spanish lol this is ridiculous.

whats next "i am disgusted as today my child was forced to run for 2 miles in gym class, on national wheelchair day, do you know how offensive it is to walk let alone run on wheelchair day? thats like saying its ok to drink juice on national milk day"
edit on 17-10-2011 by Meekbot2000 because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by Signals

If the school / admin / teachers want their students to learn the Mexican national anthem and Mexican pledge of alliegence, then maybe they should head across the border where it would be appropriate?

We have people who have no clue how their government works and instead of teaching them that, they opt to teach them about Mexico.

link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Yes, it's definitely because it's Mexico.

A culture, let's face it, of drug wars, corruption, beheadings, death, poverty...

I don't think American students should be embracing that culture.

(not that "American" culture is much better, but still)

link   
reply to post by Signals

Last time I checked here in Tx, spanish class was an elective course in high school. Nothing was being forced on these children, they chose to take this optional class. Too easy, case closed.

edit on 17-10-2011 by billy197300 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

Indoctrination = Reciting the US Pledge of Allegiance every day in elementary school, being taught fake history that paints the US as a saint, not having reality or critical thinking skills taught to you.

Education = educating your students on the subject matter they signed up for.

Languages are still an elective - these students chose to learn the language but they don't want to learn the history? When I took French seeing the country and being a part of the culture was a HUGE part of the class.

This is worse because it happened on US Constitution Day? If it had happened the next day would it have been ok? Is it ok to scratch my butt on Jesus' birthday? I am unaware of these rules...would like some guidelines.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I can understand having to reproduce it in writing for a test but I always thought reciting a pledge of allegiance to any country was, well, pledging allegiance to that country. So I can understand why this would be upsetting to some students and parents. I don't think anyone should be forced to pledge allegiance to anything they don't believe in. Still, I have to wonder when the madness will end and people will stop being offended over every danged thing. It's getting ridiculous. Every week some group or another is offended about something. Life is full of offensive things. Save all that energy protesting things that truly bring harm. As sure as I type this I know my post will offend many people. So I will go back to my fall gardening after my coffee is gone to chill out.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I took french in high school, and we were never made to memorize or recite the french national anthem or anything of the sort. We learned the language..period.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

I watched it for exactly one minute and 45 seconds.
I wasn't too thrilled with the nazi type salute and stopped
there.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by haarvik
I took french in high school, and we were never made to memorize or recite the french national anthem or anything of the sort. We learned the language..period.

Do you still speak the language? How many years did you take?

I took five years. I wonder if you only took 1st year and didn't get that far into it?

If you sign up for a language in high school you are supposed to learn more than just the language. How to write it, how to read it, local customs, history, geography, etc. If you're not getting all of this out of your language classes than you are getting jipped.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
theirs nothing wrong with that. Especially since people have some mexican pride and can still be better americans than most.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join