It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TX High School Students Made To Recite Mexican National Anthem, Pledge Of Allegiance

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   
I see a problem with students being compelled to do recite it, and with the hand gestures no less. This crosses the line of displays of patriotism. For recitation drills I would expect to see alternative assignment options. I hope students sensitive to this were given the opportunity to opt out. However, I see no problem covering this subject matter in class discussion. I see no problem with the students reciting it that wished to do so.

Mexican students are taught English and American history but I have never heard of any that were asked to recite the American Pledge of Allegiance. I have heard some attempt to sing a few bars of The Star Spangled Banner in casual conversation with me, generally they all know what it is. I had never heard, that I knew of, the Mexican National Anthem until I moved to Mexico. I doubt few non-Latino Americans would recognize it if they heard it.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Signals
reply to post by TinkerHaus

She was educating her students.

Educating or indoctrinating?

Teaching or training?

It is a sensitive issue but I'd say the teacher's timing was a little off.

Oh please.

I was once in a school play in 3rd grade. In this play we focused on and acted out how Christmas and other such holidays are celebrated in cultures all over the world. Christian kids were singing Chanukah songs.Jewish kids sung Christmas songs and some kids even danced an African dance and there were many other cultures covered.

It is not indoctrination it is education about countries and cultures other than our own.

And besides, this is TEXAS you are talking about... If you think Texas wants to indoctrinate kids and force the ways of Mexico on it's students....You could not be further from the truth!

edit on 18-10-2011 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   
isn't pledging allegiance to another nation that is not your own treason. the teacher should be charged with inciting treason.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   
I consulted with my daughters who both took Spanish in high school in Texas. One took 4 years of Spanish and the other took 2 years of Spanish. Neither of them were required to say the Mexican pledge of allegiance but did have to learn the words to Mexico's national anthem.Also, both of their Spanish teachers were actually from Mexico City, Mexico and one of them spoke very, very little English.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by TheBandit795

Or Inca's or Mayan's, oh thats right, they were slaughtered and sickened to extinction, by the Spanish.

I'm sure their anthems would have sounded great though.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox

Originally posted by Signals

It's almost like we are afraid to teach values and morals anymore to our kids,

'Cause Mexico's national anthem is completely antithetical to anything pertaining to "morals" or "values"?

ATS's moderators need to do something about all these #ing Stormfront posters.

Just curious, what is a "stormfront poster"?

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 03:23 AM
link   
It's rubbish to say that it's politically correct - it makes perfect sense to learn about other countries, especially when they are right next door to you!!! Bet you wouldn't care half as much if it had been Canada's national anthem they were having to sing!! Btw, I don't think you need to worry about the class identifying with Mexico, or thinking they are all Mexicans overnight...after all, there live US-style day in and day out, so singing the national anthem of Mexico once will not 'turn' them. LOL

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 03:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Signals

Stormfront is a racist white supremacist website / forum. The typical discourse there hinges on how degenerate the "mud people" are and how any measure to deny them any say or influence in pristine pure snow-white America must be taken.

And here we have an OP who's basically saying Mexico - and Mexicans - are directly counter to "morals" and "values." No explanation on how he figures this, of course, they just are, and we're supposed ot not and agree.
edit on 18/10/2011 by TheWalkingFox because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 04:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
isn't pledging allegiance to another nation that is not your own treason. the teacher should be charged with inciting treason.

Yes finally someone understands the REAL issue

And here it is in the US Legal Code

The U.S. Code does, however, see some acts as creating the possibility of a loss of nationality. When you lose your U.S. nationality, you are no longer under the protection or jurisdiction of the United States. When the United States considers you to no longer be of U.S. nationality, it in effect considers you to no longer be a citizen. Note that these are things you can do that may force you to lose your citizenship. The law also says that these acts must be voluntary and with the intent of losing U.S. citizenship. The ways to lose citizenship are detailed in 8 USC 1481:

Becoming naturalized in another country
Swearing an oath of allegiance to another country
Serving in the armed forces of a nation at war with the U.S., or if you are an officer in that force
Working for the government of another nation if doing so requires that you become naturalized or that you swear an oath of allegiance
Formally renouncing citizenship at a U.S. consular office
Formally renouncing citizenship to the U.S. Attorney General
By being convicted of committing treason

www.usconstitution.net...

So there you have it in black and white... with red ink

Now for all the bleeding hearts who think it was OKAY for these kids to swear allegiance to Mexico, I have some free vacation packages for you at Gitmo

edit on 18-10-2011 by zorgon because: I didn't do it... it was Pancho Villa

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 04:12 AM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

This mentality does not help.The so called mud people are very racist bunch themselves.See the caste system in India.Even the Latinos have terms like Gringos etc. for us.Arabs in UAE treat Pakistanis and indians like # and have racial superiority mentality

ATS is about freedom of speech not political correctness.Texas is not into politically correct Business.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Originally posted by randomname

Yes finally someone understands the REAL issue

And here it is in the US Legal Code

The U.S. Code does, however, see some acts as creating the possibility of a loss of nationality. When you lose your U.S. nationality, you are no longer under the protection or jurisdiction of the United States. When the United States considers you to no longer be of U.S. nationality, it in effect considers you to no longer be a citizen. Note that these are things you can do that may force you to lose your citizenship. The law also says that these acts must be voluntary and with the intent of losing U.S. citizenship.The ways to lose citizenship are detailed in 8 USC 1481:

Becoming naturalized in another country
Swearing an oath of allegiance to another country
Serving in the armed forces of a nation at war with the U.S., or if you are an officer in that force
Working for the government of another nation if doing so requires that you become naturalized or that you swear an oath of allegiance
Formally renouncing citizenship at a U.S. consular office
Formally renouncing citizenship to the U.S. Attorney General
By being convicted of committing treason

www.usconstitution.net...

So there you have it in black and white... with red ink

Now for all the bleeding hearts who think it was OKAY for these kids to swear allegiance to Mexico, I have some free vacation packages for you at Gitmo

edit on 18-10-2011 by zorgon because: I didn't do it... it was Pancho Villa

You missed something...I put it in teal for you.
The main thing is intent. These kids intended on reciting the pledge for a learning assignment, not trying to become Mexican citizens.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
When I was in school the class was studying foreign countries and many of us had to recite or sing their anthems or pledges... mine was Canada. Was that wrong too?

Or is this only wrong because it is Mexico we are talking about here?

Not meant to be taken as a facetious question. It seems the sensitivity surrounding the Mexican community's proximity might make this a problem, whereas if it were Thailand, no one would bat an eye.
edit on 17-10-2011 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

I bat an eye.

We in this country recite ONE pledge of allegiance, and it's NOT to Mexico, Canada or Thailand.

This is just another step towards the NWO's GLOBAL CONTROL.

Disgusting.

Originally posted by ludwigvonmises003
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

This mentality does not help.The so called mud people are very racist bunch themselves.See the caste system in India.Even the Latinos have terms like Gringos etc. for us.Arabs in UAE treat Pakistanis and indians like # and have racial superiority mentality

ATS is about freedom of speech not political correctness.Texas is not into politically correct Business.

Two wrongs don't make a right. Racism is not okay in ANY case. We are ONE race: human. Get that through your thick skull.
edit on 10/18/2011 by DieBravely because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Yes, it's definitely because it's Mexico.

A culture, let's face it, of drug wars, corruption, beheadings, death, poverty...

I don't think American students should be embracing that culture.

(not that "American" culture is much better, but still)

Perhaps you could use some lessons in Mexican culture yourself, if you believe that. The drug wars, cartels, and all that goes with it while being something that needs be addressed, is but a tiny part of that culture. Your words are ignorant. As are many others, sadly, when it comes to any foreign culture.

Mexico is a lot more than about beheadings, death and drug wars. And every country has great caring people, as much as they do rude, unschooled imbeciles. People are so closed-minded.. they only see the worst in a country. It's why we see posts like yours, and so many anti-American hate posts by people who live here. They refuse to see the good, only the bad. Possibly because the media focuses on the bad. Bad news sells.

And poverty perhaps to your average SUV driving, living-beyond-their-means American (or you can insert any countries people who live like this), seems like a horrible thing. To people who live simple lives... they are often very good people.. caring, and live happy lives. You act as if someone who doesn't own a 50" HD TV is not worthy of respect.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by fleabit

No, it's the majority of us who have experienced them first hand that have a negative attitude towards them.
yes, every culture has bad seeds, but it's apparent, at least from my experiences with them, that we tend to get the undesirables here in the US. They expect us to learn their language, customs and make exceptions for them. They do not embrace their new countries traditions. They do not "melt" with the population as many immigrants from the past have done. Anyone who advocates allowing them to stay here are basically slapping those who did it legally in the face.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Abrihetx
You missed something...I put it in teal for you.
The main thing is intent. These kids intended on reciting the pledge for a learning assignment, not trying to become Mexican citizens.

Did the teacher also make that point CLEAR to those kids? Did the teacher once explain that law to them? You need to look at history. Changes are made by little steps. Hitler taught the kids to report any thing their parents did, Mao taught the children...

You see this as a small innocent lesson in culture... but do not see the danger..

My family lived through Hitler's regime... they can tell you how the little things started
I grew up in Canada and saw how being forced to learn French culture still led to separatism.

At a gem show in Montreal I was explaining something to a customer in French She pretended not to understand... till a second French person chewed her out because my French is actually very good (However in Quebec they don't speak Parisian French (which they teach in school) they speak Québécois and then tell you how DARE you speak the language so poorly)

Just down the street from me here in Vegas is a grocery store that doesn't have ONE sign in English... the fast food chains like Wendy's and KFC... they speak SPANISH in the kitchens. I wonder if anyone non-Hispanic get hired these days? There are some store where the order taker can't even understand me when I want to change something on an order like 'no mustard'

Is America ready to be bilingual? Well you better be because that is where these little things are heading
edit on 18-10-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by DieBravely

"I bat an eye. We in this country recite ONE pledge of allegiance, and it's NOT to Mexico, Canada or Thailand. This is just another step towards the NWO's GLOBAL CONTROL. Disgusting. "

So.. strangers kids say words for a classroom assignment somewhere, an event that has zero practical effect on your life.. and you "bat an eye", care? kinda superfluous imo, but to each his/her own.

I pledge allegiance to nothing but self/loved ones preservation & mental well-being.. I certainly dont pledge allegiance to nazi like war criminal behavior of torture, extra judicial killings, aggressive wars, enabling..er patriot act, federal reserve, politicians secretly deciding who dies.. and all that banker gangster muck.

Perhaps if this nation walked the walk of virtue & rule of law.. and stood out as real beacon of freedom by setting an example (like if buch/cheney/obama et al faced charges).. I still wouldn't pledge allegiance, but I could be down with that cause.

Nationalism is fake.. if natures creatures adopted nationalistic dogma, birds "proud" to have been an egg in America wouldn't migrate, patriotic animals wouldn't roam, and the cycle of life would cease to exist as we know it... nature is a language people should read more often.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by fleabit
Perhaps you could use some lessons in Mexican culture yourself, if you believe that. The drug wars, cartels, and all that goes with it while being something that needs be addressed, is but a tiny part of that culture. Your words are ignorant. As are many others, sadly, when it comes to any foreign culture.

If things as you say are so great in Mexico... then why are they fleeing in droves and sneaking in to America? Why can't they wait and go through the LEGAL process like the rest of us did?

And you know what? all those Mexicans who DID take the legal path... every one of them is fluent in English

Mom of TX Student Suspended for Removing Mexican Flag Sets Story Straight

Kids get suspended at school wearing American Flag Shirts on Cinco De Mayo on Sean Hannity

Girl draws American Flag and her teacher finds it offensive

Mayor DeStefano replaces POW flag with Mexican flag

Mexicans Attack Fellow Students For Waving American Flag-Shocking Footage

What the Local News Doesn't Show You

Now all mexicans look bad. Im Mexican and every time is see other Mexicans waving the Mexican flag and stomping on the American flag, i die a little inside. If you hate America so much just go back to Mexico no one made you come the US. What they're doing is just disrespectful.t

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Teen Behind Blaze’s Mexican Pledge Story Tells Fox: ‘This Was an Indoctrination’

Brenda Brinsdon, the 15-year-old behind the Blaze’s exclusive story about Texas students being told to recite the Mexican pledge of allegiance and the national anthem, isn‘t buying her school’s claim that the controversial assignment she recorded is not indoctrination. According to her the teacher was taking advantage of impressionable students.

Brinsdon joined “Fox and Friends” Tuesday morning to talk about the assignment, the video she recorded, and the school’s response. That response includes the schools claim that lesson was the act of a single teacher and not a school-wide “indoctrination:”

www.theblaze.com...

fishstx777
Posted on October 18, 2011 at 3:46pm

You get it young lady.And for all that dont, on any given day go to any military cemetery and look as far as you can see the individuals that sacrificed their lives for youre freedoms.While they are protesting and pledging allegiance to a different country U.S soldiers are dying right now to protect you.You dont fool me teacher in Texas We all know who youre allegiance is too.Mr perry I have a question for you tonight on youre debate? Do you pledge allegiance to Mexico.

edit on 18-10-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Whittier area students from Pioneer, California and Whittier high schools walked out of classes to protest the proposed federal immigration bill March 27, 2006. The protestors put up the Mexican flag over the American flag flying upside down at Montebello High. (Leo Jarzomb/Staff photo)

www.restoringamerica.org...

Update 3/29 1030am EST. New photo from the Dallas pro-illegal immigration student rally via the Dallas Morning News:

community.livejournal.com...

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
This man is probably turning over in his grave

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety

This was written by Franklin, with quotation marks but almost certainly his original thought, sometime shortly before February 17, 1775 as part of his notes for a proposition at the Pennsylvania Assembly, as published in Memoirs of the life and writings of Benjamin Franklin Source

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join