It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sun Unleashes 'Spectacular' & Powerful Eruption

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Sun Unleashes 'Spectacular' & Powerful Eruption

www.space.com

The sun unleashed a massive solar storm today (June 7) in a dazzling eruption that kicked up a vast cloud of magnetic plasma that appeared to rain back down over half of the sun's entire surface, NASA scientists say.

The solar storm hit its peak at about 2:41 a.m. EDT (0641 GMT), but the actual flare extended over a three-hour period, said astronomer C. Alex Young, a scientist at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center who runs a website called The Sun Today, in a video describing the event.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Its a Class M-2 which apparently is medium size.

A scientist in the article goes on to say that he has not seen material released like this before..
Not a expert on this stuff but, seems pretty powerful.

No expected damage from this though.
Pretty cool we are seeing alot more of these stories. Even though the sun is in a active cycle.

www.space.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

A video of the expolsion

h

Also being covered by discovery who has a few pictures. and more info
blogs.discovermagazine.com...

edit on 7-6-2011 by TheLogicalist because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-6-2011 by TheLogicalist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
The Sun is electric!

This is an electrical arc, arcing towards the comet. Yup.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheLogicalist
Its a Class M-2 which apparently is medium size.

A scientist in the article goes on to say that he has not seen material released like this before..
Not a expert on this stuff but, seems pretty powerful.

"The sun produced a quite spectacular prominence eruption that had a solar flare and high-energy particles associated with it, but I've just never seen material released like this before," Young said. "It looks like somebody just kicked a giant clod of dirt into the air and then it fell back down."

www.space.com...

To clarify, there have been much larger CMEs. Young was not talking about the size of the CME, he was talking about its behaviour. He never saw the ejected material fall back down like that. That could have something to do with not having as fine a view as we get from SDO.
edit on 6/7/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptChaos
The Sun is electric!

This is an electrical arc, arcing towards the comet. Yup.

ya think?

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Not that it would happen but imagine all of that hot molten plasma spraying over the earth!

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Just wow.

edit on 7-6-2011 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4fb6677c07c9.jpg[/atsimg]

files.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 7-6-2011 by BobAthome because: trying too get correct image transfer
( the above not copying correctly)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Is it just me or did I see an "alien" face from the still shot of the OP's space.com link? "Spectacular".

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Medium or not, that was one big A$$ explosion! That was absolutly incredable!!! That made my day to see such awsome forces at work! I dont care who you are, that was sweet. thanx for the post!!

As for the comet comment~ lets do alittle more research on what side of the sun the explosion happened on, in corrilation to where the "comet " is. Then maybe, juuuuusssswt maybe.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Anyone know what direction this headed?

Not this way hopefully.

Funny watching the second vid. Looked like the sun moved a bit itself. Cameras I know but it made me look twice.

edit on 7-6-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Great find OP!

I look in everyday at this link:

solarimg.org...

Cool shot, hmmm, what are all those streaks:

sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov...

Regards and Nameste,

-Chung

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
the way the plasma shoots off quite unseen i must say, it immediatly falls back unto the surface.

the arcs are quite regular, but at the same time it seems like something impelled the matter back into the sun.
i wouldn't say it's a gravitational effect from some external object before anyone wants to jump on that.
i'd like to believe it's the sun's own magnetism.

the best way i have to describe this is that it looks the same as a blast against a spaceship's plasma shields would look like in a sci-fi film.

but i would say if in case of an earth directed CME a fall back like this would be most welcomed.

so what do others think, this is strictly from the sun's properties, or some external effect like NOT nibiru but for example our solar system is now travelling through a much denser area of the universe.
a much thicker cloud so to speak?
edit on 7/6/11 by AnotherYOU because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by pikypiky
Is it just me or did I see an "alien" face from the still shot of the OP's space.com link? "Spectacular".

There are alot of faces and beings in some of the sun vidoe's I've watched. I've always been fascinated by this.
Of course, theres the whole question of what the sun is, and what the universe is, since theres nothing too solid in an atom, and in fact, what is there seems to be condensed energy waves. In a white matrix hologram, light would be the projector, Source, and Intelligence. Stars could be seen in another way, a hole in the matrix. The televisions we watch get their signals from somewhere.
edit on 7-6-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
holy cow good call!

They had me at "3.1 million mph"

Sun is getting angry lately

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Biigs
holy cow good call!

They had me at "3.1 million mph"

Sun is getting angry lately

The Sun never gets angry, its shines on all of us, all the children on the playground in the entire solar system, without prejudice, like a Good Parent. Though more of phone home situation, sun not person, sun phone/projector.

Stay in the heart, be a warm and loving ray of sunlight.
edit on 7-6-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
That is a very very unusual cme . I for one have never seen the sun do anything like that before. The mass of what was ejected had to be just HUGE.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by bluemooone2

nothing unusual about the amount of plasma, the unusual bit is how it seems to be contained and falling back unto the sun's surface.

i would not be surprised if some new sunspots appear in the area the fall back happened these next couple days.

*rant*

the sun got hit with it's own CME, how does that feel sun? having a taste of your own medicine? uh sun? tell us, i bet it feels nice doesn't it?

*rant*

edit on 7/6/11 by AnotherYOU because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by bluemooone2
That is a very very unusual cme . I for one have never seen the sun do anything like that before. The mass of what was ejected had to be just HUGE.

Im quite confirdent that while unlikly, a direct hit from a flare that big or bigger would cause our planet do some really messed up stuff.

Our planets atmosphere and magnetic field acts like a bullet proof vest, it spreads harsh solar radiation and flares around us and to dampen the direct hits. One VERY large hit on it, just like the vest, will let enough energy through to bruise the soft tissue underneath. As the energy reflects around the inside, our climate and planets crust will be subject to all kinds of strange and extreme behaviour.

And worst of all, mobiles and other exposed electronic devices could melt on the circuit level, meaning i will have to find another way to get a daily dose of cats in hats.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
OK this really deserves a heads up . I wish the video here would work but seems `they` took it down as to not to interfere with there claim that incoming comets do not produce cmes as they smash into the sun despite all the video evidence to the contrary.
science1.nasa.gov...
Ahhh sry I just noticed the date on this but it is curious that this link is near the top of the page as if there perhaps trying to tell us something?

Jan. 12, 2011: The sun has just experienced a storm—not of explosive flares and hot plasma, but of icy comets. "The storm began on Dec 13th and ended on the 22nd," says Karl Battams of the Naval Research Lab in Washington, DC. "During that time, the Solar and Heliospheric Observatory (SOHO) detected 25 comets diving into the sun. It was crazy!" Sundiving comets—a.k.a. "sungrazers"—are nothing new. SOHO typically sees one every few days, plunging inward and disintegrating as solar heat sublimes its volatile ices. "But 25 comets in just ten days, that's unprecedented," says Battams. "The comets were 10-meter class objects, about the size of a room or a house," notes Matthew Knight of the Lowell Observatory in Flagstaff, Arizona. "As comets go, these are considered small."

edit on 7-6-2011 by bluemooone2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
You know what would have been awsome?!!!

If you could have actually seen it happen in the early morning sunrise
(when you can look at the sun without blinding yourself)
That would have been SAH WEET!!!!!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join