It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sun Unleashes 'Spectacular' & Powerful Eruption

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by bluemooone2

what does that have to do with anything?

solar cycle 24 is what's causing the solar flares, sure comets can stirr the pot a little, but i see them as having little or no effect in an already active sun...

the unusual ammount of comets hitting it to me are much more a strong indication that we and the sun are travelling through a much thicker cloud of space than these comets being and acting like a catalyst for more eruptions in the sun.

comets or not, much more eruptions are expected untill cycle 24 fades out, around 2013

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by AnotherYOU

I can show you at least three soho videos of comets smashing into the sun followed immediately by a large flair.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by bluemooone2

then do it, instead of just claiming it like it's some e-muscle flexing thing.

then im sure many other members can show you and pull plenty of other videos from comets hitting the sun and flares(not flairs) not happening.
edit on 7/6/11 by AnotherYOU because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   

OK) heres one: www.huffingtonpost.com...
Two:

There are more from years ago but Im pressed for time now. Will post them laters))

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Soooo Bluemooone2~
Are you sugesting that a comet hit the sun but they just didnt show it in the clip?

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
that was a COOL video.
It was crazy how you could see the ejected matter fall back down, and the sizzle up as it hits the sun...
Spectacular

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnotherYOU

*rant*

the sun got hit with it's own CME, how does that feel sun? having a taste of your own medicine? uh sun? tell us, i bet it feels nice doesn't it?

*rant*

edit on 7/6/11 by AnotherYOU because: (no reason given)

HAHA! I'm just going to make the standard

"Thats what she said" joke...and hope I don't get banned..

Anyway I personally have not seen a explosion of this size in a while if ever. But I admit I don't follow this kind of stuff much, so I'm sure someone has probably seen bigger ones...

It's awesome they caught this on video.
edit on 7-6-2011 by TheLogicalist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Talltexxxan
Soooo Bluemooone2~
Are you sugesting that a comet hit the sun but they just didnt show it in the clip?

Atleast he's not claiming they are ufos on suicide missions..
.I don't why they would edit out a comet though.
edit on 7-6-2011 by TheLogicalist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Ill take a geuss and say its headed towards venus, or that general direction

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

If you read the article, the flare was directed at the Earth.

From the article:

"It's nothing we really have to worry about," Young said in his video. "It's just really, really beautiful."

The coronal mass ejection is directed at Earth and moving at about 3.1 million mph (5 million kph), SDO mission scientists said in a statement.

edit on 7-6-2011 by Elepheagle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by pikypiky

I see what you mean.
i.space.com...

It kind of looks like God in the Sistine Chapel ceiling (right side)
www.infiniteunknown.net...

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
This is a good link to get additional info, look at the date of arrival of, June 10:

iswa.gsfc.nasa.gov:8080...

Regards and Nameste,

-Chung

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
makes me wonder what the make up of the comet was to withstand the sheer heat from the sun.

news said these things happen all the time last one on 2006 without much effect

guess the news is just playing it up when they start talking about geomagntic storms and effect satcom.

be aware but dont freak out abot cmes.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by bluemooone2

OK) heres one: www.huffingtonpost.com...
Two:

There are more from years ago but Im pressed for time now. Will post them laters))

this is the closest you get to poking the sun with a stick

come into this system at the wrong angle and the sun sucks you in *tsss* your converted to a little squirt of solar flare

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Elepheagle

It was never directly aimed at Earth. Now it appears it may brush us.

Now with the benefit of more information and model input, the prediction for Geomagnetic Storm activity has been revised. The models have the trajectory of the CME to pass Earth with just a glancing blow, now expected to occur around 1200 UTC on June 9. Expect primarily G1 (minor) NOAA Scale levels then, and for the storm to persist for 24 hours.

www.swpc.noaa.gov...

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Does this mean we might see some northern lights....

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheLogicalist

Sun Unleashes 'Spectacular' & Powerful Eruption

www.space.com

The sun unleashed a massive solar storm today (June 7) in a dazzling eruption that kicked up a vast cloud of magnetic plasma that appeared to rain back down over half of the sun's entire surface, NASA scientists say.
The solar storm hit its peak at about 2:41 a.m. EDT (0641 GMT), but the actual flare extended over a three-hour period, said astronomer C. Alex Young, a scientist at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center who runs a website called The Sun Today, in a video describing the event.
(visit the link for the full news article)

An unusual solar flare observed by a NASA space observatory on Tuesday could cause some disruptions to satellite communications and power on Earth over the next day or so, officials said.

Dramatic Solar flares could disrupt Earths Communications

Looks as if there are a few scientists that are preparing for the worst by way of effecting the earths many different satellites and communications may be in the path. Could have been it's own thread, but it fits here nicely!!

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

There's a chance. 'Round about the 9th.

edit on 6/7/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Hawaii got snow for the first time in 4 decades, the forecast for the eastern sea board and localized states are even breaking records for early highs.

More than 1,000 record highs have been set in the U.S. already this month. New Orleans had four consecutive days of record heat and June 4 was the earliest 100-degree day ever.

Read More

even the chance is slight, there are a lot of things happening rather strangely at the same time...

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Allred5923

Hawaii gets snow almost every year. I had a great skiing session on Mauna Kea in 1980.

Yes, there has been extreme weather. What does that have to do with a chance of an auroral display on the 9th?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join