It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Do You Miss the Most About Childhood? Stars for Answers...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Its simple really...

"What Do You Miss the Most About Childhood?"

ATS has a vast demographic of ages

It would be interesting to know your age and what you miss the most...

As I'm sure people's perspective change over time...

Especially what they value from their childhood...

So leave em... I'll go first

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
I’m 26

What Do You Miss the Most About Childhood?

Innocence….

I miss Innocence…

Not realizing the world has a dark side…

Not understanding the evil’s of the world…

I miss the time in my life, where my biggest problem was going to school and adding together 2+2…

I miss the time when my biggest issue was going for A’s on my report card…

The world is 100% different than what I imagined it to be…

I wish a little of that innocence would return…

But

“It is, What it is…”

I miss the excitement I got from Saturday morning cartoons…

I miss being amused and entertained so simply…

-Cheers,
Evol Eric

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
No bills...and money & a lot of stressful crap we as adults deal with every day aren't even on the radar for a while yet...nice to think back to when the world just seemed really simple...

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Simplicity.

[2nd line]

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Saturday morning cartoons for sure. The energy I had as a child

I also miss spending a majority of my time outside building forts

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   
I miss feeling like i was going to amount to something.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   
I'm 19
I miss doug and the rugrats
I miss the innocence of not knowing what's going on in the world
I miss the ignorance of a child

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by EvolEric

40's

A) Public phone booths on every second corner

B) Rolling "Jaffa's" down the wooden floor aisle at Bankstown movie theatre (or the flicks as they were known then) and watching people fall down.

C) Big flared pants

D) Watching the "Big Boys" run at "Brickie's" drag racing strip

E) A rugby league game every two weeks at Lidcombe Oval or any "Local" ground

F) Kiss were in top 40 & being in the Kiss Army was cool

G) Going to the corner shop and getting a "Big" bag of mixed lollies for 50 cents

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   
I'm 22.
I miss Recess and PE at school.
I am thankful that I was able to become an adult, though.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   
26-

Christmas when we thought Santa was real.

TGIF with Dinosaurs, Family Matters, Boy meets world.

Nickelodeon had some really awesome shows- wild and crazy kids, kids arcade, are you afraid of the dark.

goosebumps, pro wrestling being real, and our rare but memorable trips to los angeles with my family.

oh, and weekends with the grandparents.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   
This is a piece of verse I picked up a week or so ago , I can't remember where I got it from. It doesn't tell the things I miss, but sums up the way things used to be and how things were so different than they are today.

Hope you like it.

So much for being Green

How Wasteful the Older Generation Was

In the line at the store, the young cashier told the older woman that she should bring her own grocery bag because plastic bags weren’t good for the environment. The woman apologized to him and explained, “We didn’t have the green thing back in my day.”

The clerk responded, "That's our problem today. The former generation did not care enough to save our environment."

She was right, that generation didn’t have the green thing in its day.

Back then, they returned their milk bottles, soda bottles and beer bottles to the store. The store sent them back to the plant to be washed and sterilized and refilled, so it could use the same bottles over and over. So they really were recycled.

But they didn’t have the green thing back in that customer's day.

In her day, they walked up stairs, because they didn’t have an escalator in every store and office building. They walked to the grocery store and didn’t climb into a 300-horsepower machine every time they had to go two blocks.

But she was right. They didn’t have the green thing in her day.

Back then, they washed the baby’s diapers because they didn’t have the throw-away kind. They dried clothes on a line, not in an energy gobbling machine burning up 220 volts – wind and solar power really did dry the clothes. Kids got hand-me-down clothes from their brothers or sisters, not always brand-new clothing.

But that old lady is right, they didn’t have the green thing back in her day.

Back then, they had one TV, or radio, in the house – not a TV in every room. And the TV had a small screen the size of a handkerchief, not a screen the size of the state of Montana. In the kitchen, they blended and stirred by hand because they didn’t have electric machines to do everything for you. When they packaged a fragile item to send in the mail, they used a wadded up old newspaper to cushion it, not Styrofoam or plastic bubble wrap.

Back then, they didn’t fire up an engine and burn gasoline just to cut the lawn. They used a push mower that ran on human power. They exercised by working so they didn’t need to go to a health club to run on treadmills that operate on electricity.

But she’s right; they didn’t have the green thing back then.

They drank from a fountain when they were thirsty instead of using a cup or a plastic bottle every time they had a drink of water. They refilled their writing pens with ink instead of buying a new pen, and they replaced the razor blades in a razor instead of throwing away the whole razor just because the blade got dull.

But they didn’t have the green thing back then.

Back then, people took the streetcar or a bus and kids rode their bikes to school or rode the school bus instead of turning their moms into a 24-hour taxi service. They had one electrical outlet in a room, not an entire bank of sockets to power a dozen appliances. And they didn’t need a computerized gadget to receive a signal beamed from satellites 2,000 miles out in space in order to find the nearest pizza joint.

But isn't it sad the current generation laments how wasteful the old folks were
just because they didn't have the green thing back then?

Author is Jim Knowles.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   
I'm 20 and the only thing I miss is not having to worry about a thing.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   
I am 31 years old, what i miss the most are the cartoons that i grew up with. Voltron, He-Man, She-ra, Thundercats, and even into the 90's Animaniacs. I am starting to collect them all on dvd but there was nothing like the feeling of coming home from school and getting your snack out of the kitchen and sitting in front of the tv to see what adventures lied in store for my cartoon hero's. I have a four year old and the cartoons now dont seem to hold a candle to what they did when i was young.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Soon to be 40. I miss my grandparents. Listening to the stories of their youth and the pearls of wisdom they added to my experiences as I grew up.
I remember getting on a scale and seeing it read 50 pounds. Spending time outdoors in a world that had many more bugs, birds and animals in it. Reading in a library about the ways of the Native Americans and wondering why we disconnect ourselves from the full experience of life. The world was much bigger when I was young.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   
I miss my parents who both died when I was a child.

Other than that, I didn't have a childhood, so nothing to miss.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by virraszto

That sucks...

Sorry to hear that...

-Handshake-

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   
A bedroom tent made of old sheets and clothespins and a big jar of fireflies

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
42 here...

I miss looking forward to summer (like you do when you're in school)

I miss buying the latest vinyl 45 of the most popular songs and listening to American Top 40 with Casey Kasem

I miss not having any responsibilities and worries

I miss family get togethers with cousins on the weekends

I miss the closeness you feel with your brother/sister as a kid (despite the fights), you don't realize till u get older though

I miss spending the night at your best friend's house

I miss staring at the Christmas tree and the wonderful colors of the blinking lights (something you don't wanna do as an adult lol)

I miss looking forward to mom's supper every day

...just to name a few

edit on 19-5-2011 by ghr54321 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by satron

Haha!

I really miss dreaming about becoming an astronaut one day. Life really throws some wild stuff at you.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Thanks for the answers everyone!

I gave you all stars up until this post.

I'll continue giving out more... as long as there is answers

I miss... the joy I got from a Happy Meal from McDonalds
My folks weren't rich... but they always tried to get me a Happy Meal from time to time...
It wasnt an everyday thing... and it was once a month or longer apart...

But the wait was exciting... Filled with anticipation

I miss how important those were to me...
Now I HATE McDonald's

edit on 5/19/11 by EvolEric because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join