It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Do You Miss the Most About Childhood? Stars for Answers...

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 12:30 AM
link   
One of the things I miss from my childhood is going out with your mates first thing in the morning and not returning home until supper time. No body came looking for you because they knew that you would be okay. Even when a parent shouted your name to come inside, you pretended to not hear them because you were having far too much fun. When you did return you were anxiously waiting for the next days daylight to appear so that you could do it all again.

The kids today should be banned from staying in their bedrooms all day, there should be a rule that they have to play outside for a certain number of hours. They should be encouraged to mix with others, converse, socialize and not get fat eating McDonald's while getting blisters on their thumbs sitting in front of a TV screen. But in some ways that's the fault of the parents today, they think that there is a bad and dirty man on the corner of every street who wants to take their child

Ooh, I wish I could play out with my mates now, instead of all the crap of trying to be grown up, mature and boring.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 01:47 AM
link   
3/31/86

I miss the surprises from mom and dad that blew me away.

I miss the long summer days i thought would never end.

I miss time spending time with the COMPLETE family.

I miss the feeling of being the center of the world.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 02:26 AM
link   
I'm 27.

Right now this very second what I miss the most is waving to police officers. I wouldn't dare do that now. I might be tased or detained for possibly inciting a riot.

(I just had an incident. Forgive me for letting emotions shape my words).

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 02:29 AM
link   
24 yrs. old

I miss when asking 'why' was thought to be youthful curiosity, to be fed and encouraged.
I miss swimming in the river without questioning what toxins had been dumped in it.
I miss drinking out of the hose on hot summer days and not worrying about BPA.
I miss the feelings of comfort general to childhood. Now I worry about too much.

Growing up sucks. Then you figure out who is killing you with their chemicals and toxins. Then it sucks more.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 02:29 AM
link   

edit on 19-5-2011 by blivey because: Sorry. Double post. Phone sucks.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 03:09 AM
link   
reply to post by davethebear

I have to say that this is my favorite post of the week. It says so much. I'm not going to hijack the thread, just say thank you.

What do I miss about child hood?

The innocence of not knowing how eveil the world could be.

The idealism in me that believed I really could be anything if I tried hard enough.

Having a tummy tickle make the day allright.

Not having to bear the burden of knowing that no matter what I do all of these things will disappear for my child as well.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by iSeeKEnlightenment8o5
I'm 20 and the only thing I miss is not having to worry about a thing.

so do i.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Walking across a room in a goofy manner, making fart sounds.
on the way to pick up my rubber dinosaurs and plastic army men, so I could go outside and make growling sounds, machine gun noises. Battle to save the Earth from the dinosaurs. All in my head.
I miss the imagination and ability to turn inanimate objects into the real thing.
All the time making vroom vroom, roar roar, rat a tat tat boom!
Now, At 49 people would look at me funny. But why?

Why can't I lay sideways on the floor, with my hamster at the wheel of my GI Joe Jeep?
Would that be so wrong?

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 04:25 AM
link   
reply to post by spacedoubt

Imagination!

I miss that too! Growing up my favorite toy was a stick...

That stick could be anything!

A gun.. A Sword... A Lightsaber... a Staff... a spear... a cane... Anything!

I would play outside for hours and hours with a old stick, lol

I would fight battles that would make the battle of Thermopylae... seem like a stroll in the park...

Legions and legions of undead soldiers... or an army of Jedi knights... or alien invaders... or soldiers of a futuristic army would be my enemies... sometimes all at the same time! lol

you know what... I do not see anything wrong with a 26 year old... or a 49 year old doing the same thing...

either it be a stick and some "phantom army" or a a GI Joe Jeep with a Hamster Driver...

If it makes ya happy do it!

from time to time...
I still wonder off... out of sight and brush up on my sword (stick) fighting skills... oh i'm just as good as ever... if not better... and my battle roar now... ohhhh it makes them tremble in fear, lol

Plus now since seeing that movie 300... I got those slow mo fight sequences to help me out

lol

so break out that jeep and that hamster and play away

-Eric

edit on 5/19/11 by EvolEric because: typo

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 05:29 AM
link   
I miss the ice cream man!! Running down the street with a pocket full of nickels and sitting on the curb and enjoying my treat.

I am 36.

I miss my messy room. Oh wait I still have that.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 06:33 AM
link   
30 here

I miss KNOWING that every dream can come true.
Time going by... So slowly.
So many things left to try
Peace and security in the house/arms of my parents
Hanging around with people from every social class, every background
Thinking and feeling we're all citizens and equals
My morals

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 07:00 AM
link   
What a great question. Hum... I'd have to go with Catching Frogs.

Oh how I miss those long summer days outside of Dover harbor. Netting Frenchmen and forcing them, kicking and screaming into jam jars. Then, at the end of long day of fun, walking home with my catch. The faint smell of onions, continental cigarettes and Channel no' 5 wafting behind me... Oh to be young again!

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Summer time, swimming in the river at my grandparents house,

All my grand parents and great grandparents I was lucky enough to know growing up

Family ( aunts, uncles, grandparents, cousins ) trips to Ohio to visit our auntie and uncle and cousins

The Smurfs......

Christmas morning ......

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 07:20 AM
link   
I miss not being able to do things without worrying about the legal consequences. For example, as child I would explore a neighbour's forest regularly without thought as to whether it was trespassing. I would go fishing in local creeks as I pleased without the need for licensing or, again, thoughts of trespassing. The idea that any mistake or misadventure was a lawsuit waiting to happen never crossed my mind. I saw the adults in my life act in the absence of this same fear.

Having witnessed the emergence of a litigious society during my young adulthood has left me second-guessing everything I do for legality (do I need a licence? is this libel? is this slander? can I make this decision without consulting a lawyer or professional? is there a rule for how to do this? will I be punished/fined if I break it? am I allowed to enter this premise or set foot on this property?]

I find this especially troublesome as the landlord of a commercial property. I seem to be unable to take any action in relation to this without consulting the lease agreement, my lawyer, and poring through municipal and government legislation pertaining to rights and responsibilities, knowing that one slip up puts me at risk.

I miss the freedom to act based upon my own instincts -- especially when I know that I intend no harm to anyone or anyone's property.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   
That everything is new and wondrous..... hours of entertainment in whatever you did, unlimited imagination...

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   
I really miss the summer days when me and my friends would march up to a mountain field, near our village. We'd slide down the field on card board. We loved it, the farmer didn't.

Also swinging over the canal on a rope. This is a really nice thread.
edit on 19-5-2011 by Taffygirl because: er?

edit on 19-5-2011 by Taffygirl because: spelling sorry

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   
36 here

I miss catching a jar full of lightning bugs in a few minutes...now it seems they have all disapeared and I am licky just to see one or two.....what is this world coming to

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
The ignorance ... yup I said it. Ignorance.

Ignorance and innocence? One would argue they are one in the same.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by EvolEric

My answer is pretty much the same as yours OP.

I miss that wonderful bubble I lived in as a child where all people where inherently good, adults, governments and such did what was in the best interest of the people. The world was a fair and just place. Yup that's what I miss, and with that, the wonderful feeling of security when coming back to my parents house, I've never been able to recreate that warm comforting feeling in any place I have lived since, and probably never will.

i also, like a lot of people I'd think, miss the freedom, being able to waste and entire day just wandering around outside, spending an entire sunday just drawing or painting. I'm a creative person at heart, and though I still produce art and music I find my creativity strained as most of my time is spent working and sadly, I haven't been able to work at what I love, so it kinda sucks that essence right out of you.

good thread

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I miss rarely thinking twice about what i was going to do.
I miss life with out the internet
I miss being a child and being outside all day with out worrying about being kidnapped and all the other fears media lays down on people
I miss honestly believing every one i met was out for my best interest
I miss warhead candy what the hell happened to those.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join