It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Elenin?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by NyxOne

So the little difference made a huge difference in detecting a speck 291 Million Kilometers away?

Something just doesn't seem right here to me..

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by thorazineshuffle

its obivisoulsy not that hidden if everyome realizes they can make the acronym out of it

leonard elenin= name of founder

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Quickfix

So the little difference made a huge difference in detecting a speck 291 Million Kilometers away?

Something just doesn't seem right here to me..

Try reading about the different types of instruments that are available and learn why a reflector can collect more light than a refractor. It's quite interesting.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by mclinking
reply to post by stereologist

Source?

You wont get a source from that person...
and the responce is not valid and unfounded, though if that person could provide a credible link it could be helpful as this JPL page does not even have that information
JPL small body database browser
Note the section under "orbital elements" and the element titled "period" is listed as N/A NOT 600,000 years
The ONLY place i have seen the orbital period listed is the wikipedia page for C/2010 X1 which is located in the box on the right hand side of the screen and states the "orbital period" @ ~11,830 yr. but it doesnt end there because you can see that there is a citation there as well.
Looking at the page the citation comes from you can generate a set Ephemeris by simply clicking on the "generate ephemeris" button on the page which will bring you HERE and by just simply grazing the information generated you can see that there is no information in regards to this objects orbital periodicty.
Then there is the other source we can link to from the wikipedia page from within the same citation which brings us to a previously saved version which tells us how to get the numbers that were achieved.
It also tells us

Output generated by Wikipedia user kheider (Kevin Heider) on 2011-Apr-08
so then the next step would be to check out this individual and see what his credentials are...unfortunately there is more than one so i have not been able to find who this person is.
In any case the numbers given are NOT 600,000 years

I also decided to do a search of information from space obs.org which is where much has been posted by Elenin himself. The link i gave is to page 5 of 5 from December 11th 2010 and has many good articles on the object (click on the "newer entries" tab towards the bottom of the page)the most recent being from yesterday April 10th
But still no information about the orbital periodicity...

Originally posted by NyxOne
Because he used a reflector and not a scope.
It's a little different.

It should also be noted that the most recent article states...

It is worth noting that another well-known visual comet observer, Alan Hale, 1995 co-discoverer of comet Hale-Bopp, was not able to find Comet Elenin on April 5th with his 41-cm reflector…

One which is much larger than the one used in the original observations
edit on 11-4-2011 by RadicalRebel because: spellin'

I have been able to find some info on Kevin Heider
edit on 11-4-2011 by RadicalRebel because: add info

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by RadicalRebel

Has elenin disappeared?

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by thorazineshuffle

Well that would take the cake wouldnt it...
No i dont think is has.

The original Perihelion dates were thought to bring the object close to the sun sometime in may of 2012, then with more observations taken in january it was updated to the sept 11th date i am sure that it will continue to be refined over time.

As for Hale not being able to see it, i can only guess that it is due to the fact that it is within the main asteroid belt and possibly obscured from view, i suppose it is also possible that it has changed course or perhaps even collided with another object in the asteroid belt.
I only say that because in the article i linked to earlier you can see that it was due to have some close encounters with a few large keiper belt objects and while they were not expected to impact i only make this suggestion as an attempt to reason why Hale was unable to locate it.
edit on 11-4-2011 by RadicalRebel because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Personally I don't really care if the "world ends". If something is going to destroy the world there is nothing we can do about it, and probably won't be a painful demise either. I'm not going to sit and wring my hands every day thinking "this could be the day". I'd rather enjoy life now. Honestly you could die at any moment from a heart attack, embolism, etc, so I think worrying about some random space rock hitting the earth and killing us is the last of our worries.

As for "but what about the human race? It must go on!", forget about that. The hard truth is eventually our sun will turn into a red giant and literally envelope the earth. No more human race. Even if we have colonized mars by then it will still be lights out. Honestly in the "deep time" of the existence of the universe, hell even just our galaxy, the entire lifespan of the entire human race is just a tiny blip in time.

We tend to think that "we" will live forever. If not us, then our children's-children's-children...etc. Face the fact that you will die. Your children will die. The entire planet WILL die. What's important is the life we have NOW (whenever that is), and how we live it.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   

You sure spent a lot of time trying to find out more on the orbital period. What you missed in all of this research is to place this into a time frame. The estimates are not all of the same quality since some are done with more information. Earlier estimates are going to be rougher. Don't forget to examine that issue when doing research.

My original response was to a claim of an orbital period of 3600 years. Did you find anything that small? No. I think that the claim of a 3600 year orbital period posted by another user does not seem to be valid.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by stereologist

You sure spent a lot of time trying to find out more on the orbital period. What you missed in all of this research is to place this into a time frame. The estimates are not all of the same quality since some are done with more information. Earlier estimates are going to be rougher. Don't forget to examine that issue when doing research.

In fact i didnt spend much time at all, i have been reading alot of info on elenin so i know where to find a good amount of it.
Earlier estimates? which ones? where are they posted?

Originally posted by stereologist

My original response was to a claim of an orbital period of 3600 years. Did you find anything that small? No. I think that the claim of a 3600 year orbital period posted by another user does not seem to be valid.

so you thought it would be a good idea to contradict misleading information with false information?
edit on 11-4-2011 by RadicalRebel because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by mclinking

why should he be banned, he makes valid points when he has to that are backed up with research

also, where did you hear that comet holmes was bigger then the sun? can you find me a source of that please

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   

actually

At a distance of around 2 AU, this means that the true diameter of the coma had swelled to over 1 million km,[11] or about 70% of the diameter of the Sun

on no 70% the size of the sun, you know that the coma of the comet is just gas right stuff melting off the comet as it gets closer to the sun

is the nebulous envelope around the nucleus of a comet. It is formed when the comet passes close to the Sun on its highly elliptical orbit; as the comet warms, parts of it sublimate

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by caf1550

actually

At a distance of around 2 AU, this means that the true diameter of the coma had swelled to over 1 million km,[11] or about 70% of the diameter of the Sun

on no 70% the size of the sun, you know that the coma of the comet is just gas right stuff melting off the comet as it gets closer to the sun

No, I didn't say that. You're quoting someone else.

mclinking

is the nebulous envelope around the nucleus of a comet. It is formed when the comet passes close to the Sun on its highly elliptical orbit; as the comet warms, parts of it sublimate

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by mclinking

Yes, this stereologist has a very weak mind, hasn't he. Sometimes he's so weak-minded, he answers his own posts! Worse still, he's incredibly lazy. Personally, I don't read his threads, but they're difficult to avoid, like ploughing through the asteroid belt. And he thinks so 3-D, no imagination whatsoever, can't conceive of anything outside his tiny mental box. To be fair, he could make a good lawyer. After all, he lies persistently. I think he should be banned from ATS.
And if they ban me instead, I'd know who my friends are.

mclinking

mclinking

NO, i do not think this person should be banned.
While i do not like the way stereologist conducts themselves in the threads i also think that there is an underlying intent in thier posts which may have a benefit for some people.
Everyone is different, experiences things differently, expresses themselves differently and we all need to learn to embrace and accept those differences and try to see thier benefits.

@ stereologist
I do hope you understand that my issue with your posts is not in the information you provide but the lack of evidence to support it. I, like many others here, am not one to take someones word on things just because.
In the past you have made good points in your claims and i have been truly interested in the sources for them, but without something more tangible than just your word on an issue it is sometimes hard to digest, especially in light of the evidence i present and go out of my way to include in my posts.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Just wanted to add that i have found more information on Kevin Heider who was mentioned in one of my earlier posts, It seems that he is an experienced astronomer, whether porfessionally or ametuer i dont know but here is some things he works on i found on an astronomy site.

KHeider's posts and threads on Lightbuckets.com

Also an intersting site, does anyone know off hand the estimated coordinates of elenin im gonna see if i can get any images of it through this site, wish me luck

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Earlier estimates? which ones? where are they posted?

So you have no idea when the estimates were made? OK.

so you thought it would be a good idea to contradict misleading information with false information?

Can you demonstrate that the information is false or are you being childish?

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
*** ATTENTION ***

GET ON TOPIC, DO NOT DISCUSS OTHER MEMBERS.

You may be post banned.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join