It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No time..must leave...one bag..what would you like to be in it.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by rubbertramp

Thanks,....there are some good additions I will use. But what do you need the mirror for?

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Segador
Laptop
A good knife
3 days worth of food and water
a second set of clothes
A sketchbook
A fishing rod.
Toilet paper
Small first aid
Water purifier

The laptop will contain thousands upon thousands of maps and an encyclopedia of edible plants and animals.
I will keep it charged with my trusty solar charger, sure it might take awhile but its worth having all that information at your disposal.

Do not underestimate modern technology.
Everything except the fishing rod fits in the bag.
edit on 21-3-2011 by Segador because: (no reason given)

A laptop would prove useless in this type of situation..How would you charge it ?
edit on 21-3-2011 by TechVampyre because: (no reason given)

EDIT: sorry about that did not see the edit you made..But still I think it would just be dead wait.. A ipad or something similar would be much more useful..
edit on 21-3-2011 by TechVampyre because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Haven't seen this one...

A nice light Tarp (not the canvas ones) for small shelter and can be used for ground cover as you will sleep on the ground and getting wet in cold weather will kill you.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by zatara

Originally posted by PlanetLandon
reply to post by zatara

What you are referring to is often called a 'Go Bag' or 'Bug Out Bag', and there are lots of good examples and lists out there if you feel like googling them. I'm sitting near mine right now!

Are you realy near your 'Go Bag'? When did you make this bag and what kind of 'emergency' did you have in mind when filling it with stuff? I will most certainly Google this subject. I did not realise that many more people hhad these worries before anything will happen. Thanks for the tip.
My bug out bag is an alice pack I picked up at the local army surplus store. I have water purification tabs, ceramic water purifier attachment to my camel back hydration bladder, change of digital adu's if I need to change clothes, Thermal blanket, Trash bags( they can be used for raincoats, keep flies away from food, solar still for gathering water from enviroment,something dry to lay on when the ground is wet), Kabar knife, leatherman wave multi tool, 5 Gov't issue MRE's, ghillie suit, 22 cal semi auto pistol, .308 m40a1, signaling mirror, compass, topo maps for my entire state, tie wire, duct tape, 3 claymore mines that are dummies but can be turned into weapons in five min with some demolitions training that I had in combat, hand held CB radio,gen 3 Night vision goggles, soap, toothbrush and toothpaste, 1 oz of gold, 5x7 camo tarp, eating utensils, cooking pot, 500 rds of .22 bullets and 200 rds of 308 bullets. There are a few more smaller things in there but you get the jist of it. Oh! I got a magnifying glass, needle and thread, lidocaine and benzocaine, digital camera for recon purposes, all of that weighs less than 40lbs and I still have room for more. I take my bug out bag to work with me and everywhere I go because you never know when SHTF. I leave the claymores in my safe secret spot but the rest i have somewhere close all the time. Oh and lest not forget the importance of 3 pairs of clean socks
edit on 21-3-2011 by agentblue because: (no reason given)
I have telescoptic fishin rod and reel with a spool of extra line and a small 3x7 tackle box full of lures, hooks and sinkers. Small collapsible bow saw, antiseptic, hatchet that is just 12" long, potassium iodide tabs, Multivitamins, 1lb keg of blackpowder, mosquito net, flint striker, copenhagen chew cans filled with tender( copenhagen chew cans are cardboard with a protective parafin wax that burns like a candle and is an excellent small way to get a fire going quick if you fill them up with cotton or paper prior to putting them in the bob), army issued pack shovel. I leave my cell phone at home bc everybody that knows me knows what frequency i run on my portable cb radio and cb's can't be triangulated like a ham radio or a cell phone. I have a solar charger for my batteries.
edit on 21-3-2011 by agentblue because: found more stuff rummaging through my bob aka 'bug out bag'

edit on 21-3-2011 by agentblue because: I forgot about more stuff
my 9 and seven year old also have "bobs" that they packed up similar but with less stuff because they can't carry as much but we all have matching 22 pistols just in case. My kids having this stuff packed and knowing how to use it like it is intended makes me a proud father. Btw my two boys are safe and realize that guns aren't for killing people but for wild game in case some of you think I am raising my boys to be militia killers or something and they go to public school here in the country and aren't home schooled or in private rich schools. They have since stsrted their own club teaching other students advanced survival techniques to other students and parents this isn't boyscout crap they teach to city dwellers. After all, we are here to teach our fellow man.
edit on 21-3-2011 by agentblue because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by zatara
reply to post by rubbertramp

Thanks,....there are some good additions I will use. But what do you need the mirror for?

signaling

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11
Haven't seen this one...

A nice light Tarp (not the canvas ones) for small shelter and can be used for ground cover as you will sleep on the ground and getting wet in cold weather will kill you.

i have something similar to this in camo.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Neoprene water bottles w/water, iodine tablets and water purification pump, siphon hose, Spam, zippo lighters and fluid, flint and striker, matches, multi-tool pocket knife, buck knife, small hand saw, rope, pistol with extra ammo, sling shot, sword, socks, signal mirror, plastic bags, fruit and vegetable seeds, dirty magazine, and a bible. If a person can't survive with the items for at least a week. They should save ammo for the next guy and jump off of a cliff.
edit on 3/21/1111 by 1MrMarc because: forgot my 2 favorites

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by agentblue

Wow......you will make it safely through the first few days I am sure....The extra pair of socks will help any partner make it too.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
All sounds pretty good.

I personally, would take a line and hooks, my books and notes on edible and medical plants (Dandylions are food. Remember that when you are starving!) warm clothes (layers will keep you alive), small shovel, hatch, (Brain did pretty good with one didn't he. Both a weapon and a tool) source of fire (matches and lighters run out.) first aid (though the plants can be used for a million things. Know your plants folks) , small pot, good knife, some tools needle nose, duct tape (can't do without the duct tape) sturdy but light weight rope, comfortable boots, snare wire (yummy yummy pigeons, rabbits, geese. Tie the snare to the end of a stick, walk up to the creature and strangle it. Rabbits caught in the underbrush, look for paths) a bag of rice (It will keep you full and it's lite weight.)

Also I would get into the bush and wild country as quick as possible. All you folks running around with guns and cannibis makes me nervous.(joking) Oh yeah, I haven't read this one: If you are left to the elements, build your fire with rocks around it. (i have a point hear me out) when you go to sleep, dig the dirt down bury the rocks and ash, cover with dirt. They will stay warm in the ground for a suprisingly long time. Bugs are food as well. (good enough for the bears, good enough for me)

"There is nothing you would need that the land cannot provide"

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Rucksack + waterproof cover.
Roll mat.
Tent or Bivi (some can be used as ponchos)
Water + spare water (least 2 Containers)
Food (such as nuts, dried fruit, chocolate, tins of sardines, dried food such as couscous /rice, salt, cereal)
Vitamins, pain killers, antibiotics, anti-septic spray, insect spray
Tinder, flint, lighter, spare lighter, matches, dried fuel (a twig or two can work wonders with cardboard)
Emergency blanket
A knife or two
Map + compass
Spare set of light clothes + socks, underwear, t-shirt, trousers, light jumper or shirt
Head torch + spare torch
Mess kit, knife, fork, spoon, bowl / pan
Needle, thread, electrical tape, string, screwdrivers, small saw / axe
Portable stove (collapsable, lightweight) + spare fuel pellets.
Emergency blanket
Toothbrush
Fishing hook, string, whistle , mirror

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Kalithe

The fishing hook and line are probably the 2 best ideas for food. I wish I had thought of that, but I will add it to my survival Pack. Thanks!

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by 1MrMarc

No worries. They are always a good idea. My Grandfather didn't raise any dumb kids. The man was brutal to us when it came to knowing things. Thank God for that.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   
FN P-90, 500 rounds of ammo,T14 mini thermal imaging weapon sight.
6 small grenades
20 ounces of gold in 1 dollar coins
4 mainstay packs
2 bags of werthers coffee toffee

pack of baby wipes
2 cartons of marlboro, pack of swisher sweets, a pack of nicotine gum
tomahawk, garden shears
500ft paracord
spool of kevlar thread
fire starter flares
handheld HAM
100 watt flex solar panel
gortex recon bivy bag
gortex booty liner
set of silks
sweater set
blow gun and darts
light emergency kit with morphine

must keep pack under 20 pounds including camel back

gather goodies on the move

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   
A small thermoelectric cooler, a small solar panel, and my kids meds.

...amazing how the face of survival changes.

Sri Oracle

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 02:49 AM
link   
I cheated and bought a pre made bag from be-prepared, just adding my own little bits now. Soon i'll have self sustaining 70 litre bug out bag. Pity firearms are locked sown in australia or i would have added one.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 05:59 AM
link   
I live in The Netherlands and if you are familiar with the country there is no forrest without running into a person within 3 minutes. Guns can only be bought illigally in dutchland and not an option for packing unless you go for it on the black market ofcourse. I do not know what the dutch law says about cross-bows but that could be an alternative....any other suggestions for a powerfull weapon?

Being able to retreat into a forrest would have more advantages than staying in a urban surrounding I guess. Have any of you guys also made plans where to go when TSHTF?

There are some realy good additions brought forward....the book with medicinal properties of plants, stuff against the cold. Would tablets (fotgot their name) against nuclear fallout also be a wise decision to bring along?

Are there any females reading this and do they have the same survival instincts and prep ideas like men do?

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Well I do things like this for fun so I will tell you what I carry.

I have a large rucksack with 2 detachable rocket packs that make a good day bag.
In my bag I first think of the C's of survival.

1.Cutting tool.
2.Combustion device....mine is firesteel.
3.Container.
4.Compass.
5.Calories.
6.Clothing.
7.Cover...mines a tarp.
8.Cordage

I carry a good sleeping bag that I have slept in minus 21 with.
I carry snare wire and a small fishing kit.
I have a small first aid kit.
I also carry a small medicine bottle filled with cotton and vasoline mixed with magnesium shavings.

Last but not least I have a hammock and a small pen light.

Tried and tested and repeated.
I did 5 trips this winter and can't wait for the weekend to do my first spring trip.
I can pack my bag in 5 minutes with a little help from the C's of survival.

edit on 22-3-2011 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   
My BoB (unfinished as of yet):

Rucksack w/ waterproof cover
Tent
Mess kit
Flint & Steel and a few lighters
Multitool, Buck knife and Machete
Garmin GPS (in case it still works) with some extra batteries
Water Purifier
Waterpouch / Camelback skin
Extra socks
A few MREs and pounds of rice
A pack of various seeds
Rope
Fishing hook & line
A journal
Hunting rifle & 9mm with extra rounds

And lastly, a map of the States

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Hand Line for fishing
Roll of Cotton and needles
First Aid kit
Sleeping Bag
Lighter and gas refil
LED torch recharchable
Mini solar panel
Phone with an array of memory cards for any info you are after and have the catalogued into different topics Hunters Knife
Charcoal
Home Made Jerky
can opener
nurofen
water
roll of string
rock climbers rope
Analog Watch

No need for a compass as you can navigate with your wrist watch just as easy and gather other things that maybe needed if things get worse
edit on 22-3-2011 by vkturbo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Here's what's in my kit as of today:

1 medical kit (no skimping here, everything from burn ointment to basic surgery)
2 rolls of TP
1 pack of coffee filters (I don't even drink coffee, but they serve so many purposes in survival, must have)
1 Flashlight with extra batteries
60 bags of oatmeal, various flavors
10 pack of water purification tablets
1 military cook set
6 bricks of trioxane fuel for above cook set
2 sets of dinnerware utensils
1 multi-tool
1 rescue knife (glass breaker and seatbelt cutter)
1 fire-steel striker
3 pack of bic lighters
1 waterproof tube of strike anywhere matches
1 bag of dryer lint (excellent fire starter in damp or windy conditions)
5 pair of socks (often overlooked item, very important to take care of your feet, no matter what climate your in)
1 toothbrush and floss pack
2 emergency blankets
1 tube tent
1 pair of gloves
1 coil of 500 lb tested paracord
2 needles and spindle of thread
1 compass
1 camelback water bladder

Ammunition and firearms will be carried on a vest\slings.. but I'm not going to get into those goodies here

Major items still to be added

katadyn microfilter
larger, rugged tent (suggestions welcome!)
sleeping bag
shovel
shortwave radio
gps

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join