It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Self Proclaimed Wizard Creates Hogwarts-like Online Academy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Self Proclaimed Wizard and Spiritualist Oberon Zell Ravenheart now has the unique privilege of being the Headmaster of the world's first recognized and registered Wizard's Academy as reported in the dailymail.co.uk article written by Jeff Maysh entitled This spells trouble! Real-life Dumbledore opens world's first wizard school.

Pictured in the above image is Oberon Zell-Ravenheart and his partner Morning Glory Zell-Ravenheart.

I laughed like mad when I read this article earlier tonight. A few months past, a friend and I were browsing the Border's Books and Music paranormal section and stumbled across one of Oberon Zell-Ravenheart's books called Grimoire for the Apprentice Wizard and found it to be a rather fanciful (read ridiculous) teen self help book colored by 'magic'. While I applaud Zell-Ravenheart's efforts to reach out to young adults in this alternative manner, and one that he is obviously very passionate about, all it brought me and my friends (after we purchased it as a gag for my birthday) were a few spectacular laughs, oh and a spiffy new "magical name" mine's Lore Ebon-Wolfgasm

The Grey School of Wizardry

Is this just a money making scheme, piggy backing the success of Harry Potter and the like, or a serious attempt to teach young adults life lessons of some sort? Your thoughts?

P.S. I'd prefer this thread not devolve into a heated debate about the evils and/or benefits of neopaganism or witchcraft or what have you. There are other threads for such things, I'm positively sure.

edit on 5-3-2011 by Demiwatt because: grammar

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   
The perfect excuse to dress up and play games .and maybe recruit some young wannabe wizards who can also dress up in school uniforms.No i am sure they mean well, i think

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   
I don't see where the conspiracy is.

Just another loon

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 01:13 AM
link   
People hate their regular lives so much that role-playing becomes reality for them.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Kargun

I was leaning in this direction as well, his book, while bizarre, does seem like it could be a sincere attempt to teach young adults...something. Tips for practicing abstinence through the study of wizard's magic seems like it just might work phenomenally! Thanks for your input so far guys
Here's a sample exert from the book, maybe it'll lend some insight, or...something. All credit to the author Oberon Zell-Ravenheart and all that.

I. Introduction: The Costume of a Wizard

When we put on any clothes we are creating a persona (character) to present ourselves to both others and ourselves within a context; all clothes are costumes designed to hide or reveal the real you. Your magickal regalia (splendid clothes;finery) are sufficiently different from everyday clothes (no #...says I) to help remind you and others that you are now in the role of a Wizard instead of the role of school student, athlete, or other mundane individual.

Each wizard develops a unique individual style all his own too, and no two wizards appear quite alike. Wizards do not buy their magickal clothes off the rack at the department store, but rather design and sew their own, or acquire them from other skilled seamsters and seamstresses in the magickal community. Being able to design and sew your own clothes is a very important skill for a wizard, and I strongly urge you to learn this. If you do not have a sewing machine try to get one, and learn how to use it.

You might want to go to your neighborhood fabric store and check out the sewing patterns available. If you ask for help (tell the clerks you're making a costume for a party or for Halloween), you will find that there are many fine patterns for wizardly robes, cloaks, tunics, jerkins, and even Wizard's hats. I'll list a few such patterns here, although most of these designs are so simple that you probably won't even need a pattern other than the diagrams I have drawn here for you.

IMPORTANT: Use natural materials, such as cotton or linen. Avoid man-made fibers like polyester or nylon, as they are insulators against natural energies! (wait....isnt he wearing a purple polyester velvety tunic in all those pictures of himself?)

I dunno....this guy seems more and more bizarre, he probably is just a nutter.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
This has to be quite possibly the dumbest thing I've ever heard since Britney Spears shaving her whole head.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Thank you for sharing the article information with us. It's wonderful that children are included in the learning circle, and all are welcomed to learn. Learning includes questions when one doesn't understand the subject matter being discussed.

What wizard Oberon Zell teaches is very interesting, indeed and with proper intent could be a way of learning how to get connect the natural with the now, it is a fun way to awaken that which most of us have forgotten.

As with all beliefs his right to practice those beliefs should be allowed to be done so without judgment, and calling someone a "nutter" just because you do not "get it" just doesn't balance...maybe if you asked questions you may then understand and learn.

Remember when pointing fingers...there are always three pointing back at you...

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I suppose calling him a nutter is a bit harsh, he does seem to be well intentioned, if a bit far left of field to what most are accustomed to. I hope something good comes of his efforts, if his intentions are indeed to help young people.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Whats funny about all this is that the prices seem fairly reasonable, I was expecting a better sales page and tuition in the hundreds of dollars. Still though, his website needs work, it isn't well optimized, his landing page isn't very good and he should be building an opt in list before giving out his pricing info.

To be honest, I bet I could open a better Wizard School with better conversions, maybe I will

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   
If I can be taught how to shoot fire from my hands, I'll pay.

Of course I could just learn how to make a flamethrower, but there's always the chance that will explode on my back. Let the "mana" do it's job. Superpowers here I come

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shadowflux
Whats funny about all this is that the prices seem fairly reasonable, I was expecting a better sales page and tuition in the hundreds of dollars. Still though, his website needs work, it isn't well optimized, his landing page isn't very good and he should be building an opt in list before giving out his pricing info.

To be honest, I bet I could open a better Wizard School with better conversions, maybe I will

How's that go?

new topics

top topics

join