It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something is killing thousands of ducks and geese, Lake Erie and Maumee River

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   
RSOE

Wildlife officials say they have no idea what is killing thousands of ducks and geese along Lake Erie and the Maumee River.
Infected birds simply throw their heads back and lose their motor skills before they die. No one knows how far it could spread. "This may be something that's not at all going to affect people, but it may be, and we need to figure it out to know what's going on," said Nature's Nursery's Laura Zitzelberger. So far, labs tests confirm that the birds did not die of the avian flu.

Could this have been the same thing that happened to all the other birds? Either way I hope they figure this one out soon. The fact that it MAY be something that could affect people is scary.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Where are these lakes? like which country? It sounds like what happened to my cockateil, it was air sack mite. Made their lungs like rocks they reckon.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Slipdig1

This was reported out of Toledo Ohio in the USA.

The idea of a mite that could cause this is as disturbing as a virus. Sorry about your bird.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Slipdig1

I hope it is nothing serious considering I also live in the Great lakes region. They seem pretty hush hush about it so it maybe isn't a big deal. Or maybe they are not sure on which lie they will use to cover it up.
edit on 21-2-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   
At least the Authorities are admitting that they have no idea, instead of giving us lame reasons like fireworks.
edit on 21-2-2011 by watchitburn because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 08:05 AM
link   
+ this:
www.dailymail.co.uk...

...and the fish die off in nigeria last weekend (IRC)

edit: lol @ filter for nig-eria
edit on 21/2/2011 by maoklein because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by maoklein

If you capitalize it..."Nigeria" it should work.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   
I can't find anything about thousands of ducks dying in lake eerie .. I do see an article about dozens of geese that have died, which is still shocking but on a much smaller scale..

The article is from yesterday

TOLEDO -- Dozens of geese have been found dead along the Lake Erie shore and others are so sick that they are unable to fly, wildlife officials said.

Many have been found dead near Toledo, where the geese often gather in the open waters of the lake. But others have been found dead in a nearby river and along the lake 70 miles away near Cleveland.

"They will fall out of the sky and have trouble staying upright," said Dave Sherman, a biologist with the Ohio Department of Natural Resources.

Wildlife experts are awaiting tests on some of the dead birds to determine the cause.

It goes on to say it's about two dozen and started a few weeks ago with some Mallards but now appears to be mainly canadian geese .. 18 of the 23 sick ducks they collected have died, the rest are acting normally again and are set to be released.. sounds like the article posted by the OP may be a bit exaggerated, either that or thousands died over night ( or this article is incorrect ) .. but I do live here and haven't heard anything.

Source Link

Here's another link that says the total is around 200

Dead birds have been found along a 40-mile stretch but most have been concentrated near FirstEnergy Corp's Bay Shore power plant situated near Maumee Bay outside Toledo.

Another link

edit on 21-2-2011 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

edit on Mon Feb 21 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: added external quote tags

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by miniatus

It's wording is a bit confusing.

Thousands have died.

Dozens have been found near the shore.
Some have fallen out of the sky.
In another area, two dozen were taken in. 18 of those died and the others are recovering.
At the FirstEnergy Corp's Bay Shore power plant, approx. 200 have been found.

That is how I am reading it. A total of thousands and examples of how many in different areas.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
There is a thread on this already from two days ago in this same forum
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Good catch! Sorry 'bout that. I searched and totaly missed it.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
There is a thread on this already from two days ago in this same forum
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please post in the above earlier thread.

Closed.

new topics

top topics

join