It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Truth about Hair?

page: 21
<< 18  19  20    22 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 04:35 AM
link   
I think it's psychological. Personal identity. I've seen both sides of the coin.

When I was a child, I wasn't allowed to have long hair. My mother would chop it off---and I mean short, saying she didn't want to take care of it.

With regards to my extra-sensory abilities -- the Tempe school district wanted to bump me up two grade levels. And they created a gifted program solely for me, the only child in it. All other kids had to wait until the 3rd grade to be in any gifted program. With regards to things like telepathy- I never studied for a single spelling test. Each week, there'd be a pretest at the beginning of the week and the graded test each Friday. I would get 100% on the pretest and 100% on the graded tests. And in the school Spelling B-- I never studied for a single spelling test, nor word. I just got up on stage and spelled a bunch of words that I had never heard before, nor knew the meaning of. Of course, the teacher is always looking at a piece of paper when reading off the word that he/she wants the class to spell. So, since I was spelling words I had never heard nor seen before and the teacher was usually at the other end of the room...I'd say my E.S.P. was just fine with short hair.

As an adult, I grew my hair down to my arse. But I'm bald everywhere else on my body. I shave my arms, my legs, my stomach, every place else. And my extra-sensory abilities are still doing just great. I may not have a teacher sitting at the front of the room looking at a word on a piece of paper and asking me to spell it. But my telephone sensory abilities (hearing a person's voice) are doing just great and sensing other things in the neighborhood.

So it'd have to be psychological - personal identity of oneself.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by jessejamesxx
I felt this was obligatory

2nd

I would like to know where that womans pants went?

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
It's documented, across the globe, that there is cultural and spiritual significance attached to hair (past and present cultures) ... As with many things that are considered as part of the "whole" or the "balance" these things have relevance and meaning.

Whether the military study/experiments are true or myth - that's a good question...

ETA:
Another thought: these experiments were conducted on young men therefore it's reasonable to presume that their hair was virgin hair (i.e. not bleached, dyed, etc.) So another consideration would be whether these "connections" would be diminished or not when the hair was uncut, but otherwise altered (i.e. bleached, dyed with chemicals) vs (dyed with natural things like plants or berries) not to mention gender influences, as well ... there must be individual experiences out there. Anyone?

edit on 6-12-2010 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

I do. I have long hair now and I used to keep it super short, talking 1 size clippers. I'm a martial artist. When I had short hair I couldn't do what I do now. With my longhair, it's not so much supernatural as what they claim (however... it could be... who knows) but I notice I can react faster to things I otherwise wouldn't... because of vibrations in my hair.

I.E.

Some one goes to grab my chest, I can feel the air and vibrations of their movements by detecting the displacement in my hair.

I physically feel it move before my brain can process visually the motion. This allows me to start counter motion faster in some instances.

That's it really.
edit on 29-6-2011 by Laokin because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Marking for future reference.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
For future ref i am marking this thread.. will have to go thru all the posts..

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by thedeadtruth

I thought the reason why monks/soldiers/etc keep their head bald was an attempt to not have everyone stand out from one another...

Plus, didn't the old Chinese, martial arts practicing monks have really long hair - tied in a tail? And what about the time of dynasties? Weren't people required to have long hair, having to grow it from childhood?

Interesting subject...

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by jessejamesxx

What Movie is that From ?

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Found this on Youtube while looking up Dreadlocks!!

edit on 9-12-2011 by LeftLeoLearning because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Amazing thread.

All I can add is that when I was forced to cut off my mid-back dreadlocks in order to begin gainful employment in the 'real' world, I definitely noticed some differences in my perception and intuition. I had alway put this down to working a 9 to 5 office job though. Maybe there was something more to it.....

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Always loved this song, and the musical is one of my all-time faves:

Right now I have only chin-long hair, but you guys make me want to grow it again. Does anyone have any good advice how to keep it from getting frizzy (mine is curly) and coarse once it gets long?

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 05:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by InfoKartel
reply to post by thedeadtruth

I thought the reason why monks/soldiers/etc keep their head bald was an attempt to not have everyone stand out from one another...

Plus, didn't the old Chinese, martial arts practicing monks have really long hair - tied in a tail? And what about the time of dynasties? Weren't people required to have long hair, having to grow it from childhood?

Interesting subject...

Yep, cutting the hair short started with the Roman soldiers typically. Also slaves were usually shaved bald to show their 'enslavement' status, plus branding for ownership.
Someone with lengthy hair is more individualistic and independent, like the Celts and Gaul's were.
Cut it off and you introduce the removal of that and the shift to being more subservient, responding to orders and like a robot.

I hated having short hair in the military and would often get bawled at to get it short.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 06:27 AM
link   
reply to post by sylvie

Does anyone have any good advice how to keep it from getting frizzy (mine is curly) and coarse once it gets long?

I studied this a few years back, I also have curly/wavy hair that gets dried out and coarse. (For reference, I am a red-headed Caucasian, I know other ethnicities have different requirements for hair care). The trick is to wash it less often, like WAY less often...and use cleansers that are less damaging -- ingredients on commercial products should include PEG in front of the chemical names...also, some twirly-heads use only conditioner and not shampoo at all. My regimen now is to shampoo only 3-4 times per month (unless it gets really sweaty or dirty due to activities), NO BRUSHING, just use your fingers to separate the curls. Between shampoos, you can soak it, of course, rinse it while showering/bathing, then condition only...leaves the hair silky, smooth, and less prone to breakage, shinier, stronger, more manageable, etc.

Shampoo is a detergent, harmful and stripping of hair.

Back on topic, though, FASCINATING, OP!! I have always preferred my hair long, though I have cut it short two or three times in my half century. Most recently, about 6 years ago, I went though a terrible relationship fracas, sent me into a tailspin, and the bottom half of my hair (ears and lower) FELL OUT. I cut the rest so I didn't have thin scraggles that were long and unhealthy. The curls bounced back, it felt GOOD....I also recovered from the heartbreak after I did this, and now it is back to nearly waist-length. It is healthier than ever, and I do notice more peace of mind and groundedness...

Also, I know that when I was pregnant, my hair got thicker and more luxurious (which is a commonly noted "change" during pregnancy)...wonder how that ties in. And one does have to wonder, what is the reason we have all the head hair and so much less body-hair?? I heard a radio program once about analogies between human hair and the plumage on birds...for mate-attraction or some such...

Interesting! Off to look for more science on this!!

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Lets not forget DRAGON BALL Z. Why does your hair grow, Goku? It gives me powers picollo

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenCar

Originally posted by mavman
Well as a hockey fan I am quite aware of "playoff beards." It all seems to make sense now.

Oh yes, I didn't even think about that.
Here's my boys with the cup!

After reading this I began to think about religion and hair...especially male Orthodox Jews and their beards and sideburns. What about the other religions such as some LDS where the women must not cut the length of their hair but they are allowed to cut their bangs and "party in the front."

From all media concerning the Romans - the women always had long hair; recalling greek methology as well it seems that the women kept their hair long. What about Islam ... immediate recollection of women practicing this religion it seems they all had long hair as well. In the Islamic world - one would be lead to believe that they would want to practice "rituals" to oppress the women, not give them an edge.

Also makes you think about prisons and the fact that you are immediately given "prison cuts" but in some prisons I believe they allow long hair...not sure - I am not familiar with the prison population. Lastly, the troops may be forced to remain "buzzed" for mind control and "programming."

Interesting OP

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   
A thought of mine. These people were recruited into the military. In the military you are often told not to think but to obey without thinking. Even if all they did was cut that person's hair and did nothing else the fact hat he was in the military would at least on a (subconscious level) would weigh in. Having the hair long the military aspect of not thinking would be diminished. Thus with short hair you are reminded that you are in the military and thus the urge to think in a military fashion. Long hair and the same person would think more in the lines of a civilian.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Deson

The Sikhs never cut their hair from birth, and are some of the greatest warriors on Earth, The Lion Heart. It was 600 that defeated 10,000 British Soldiers or so the story goes. They beat them in I believe 3 battles and the British finally ask you guys want to be on our side.

You still see them with the turban and the hair and beard under the turban.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 05:14 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 06:04 AM
link   
reply to post by onehuman

Ok, here we go. IF there would be ANY substance to what you are saying, do you not think that over the last couple of thousands of years we would have noticed that correlation? Hmm?

Where is the wisdom of countless generations of warriors, scientists, teachers, farmers and all kinds of people who may have noticed a correlation between hair and those almost magical attributes that you subscribe to hair?

How could we possibly have missed this?

There are a lot of weird theories here, and a theory being weird doesn´t mean it cannot be true. I am certainly open for weird ideas. But something as obvious as hair length... come on people. How could we possibly miss this? Think for a second? People who haid long hair and had to cut it for whatever reason would maybe notice change?

I don´t want to point out the obvious here, but it doesn´t seem very likely.

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 07:36 AM
link   

scorpine
reply to post by jessejamesxx

What Movie is that From ?

Withnail and I .

edit on 25-12-2013 by 23432 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 05:02 AM
link   
a reply to: onehuman

I used to have hair to my waist,only difference I felt when I cut it off and clean shaven,was that I wasn't spending an hour drying hair,that and less older lady's flirting with me,but more younger ones,I can grow them back if I wanted

top topics

<< 18  19  20    22 >>

join