It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Full Page advertisement before ATS Loads

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Well, I saw the ad again. I u2u'd Skeptic, but I am sure he gets quite a few messages a day so it may take awhile before mine gets seen.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by airspoon
reply to post by jfj123

I believe there are two different "bronze" levels. One for members over 2,000 posts and one for members with 200/200/200 (or it may be 300). I remeber reading that somewhere but can't find it now. Anyway, the "bronze" level from the 2,000 posts without the flags, still has the ads while the level with the flags and stars does away with the ads.

--airspoon

I appreciate the info but I guess my concern is that this is a new pop up/redirect. Where does it end?

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 05:30 AM
link   
THE EVENT SCREENING

Full page ad prior to ATS loading now has the same ad as a vertical strip ad on the right side of the screen minus of course the full page and "skip this ad" button.

When I opened the ATS homepage this morning, the full page ad popped up again. It was up for about 5 seconds or so then removed itself. The ad is always the same, "THE EVENT"....not sure what it is ?????

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
I'm on ATS a great deal (no kidding), and my account doesn't receive the typical ad-restrictions of high-contribution members.... and I'm not seeing this ad, never have.

Next time someone receives this ad, please send me (u2u) a screen shot, along with the page you were on prior to seeing the ad.

Thanks.

Is this some kind of long running joke SO? becuase i find it hard to belive that an active site administrator as yourself would not notice these things.
dont you have any tools that you keep running in the backround that checks for unknown scripts, and pop-ups.

seems to be the same response everytime.

this isn't a dig or anything, and i love the site btw.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 05:36 AM
link   
I have a new problem.
When I clicked on the 2012 forum, my spyware doctor pop up detected the following:

7/28/2010 6:28:37 AM:740
Site Guard: Blocked Site
Threat Name - Spyware.Known_Bad_Sites
Details - Site Guard has blocked access to a bad website
Risk Level - High
Infection - ad.metanetwork.com (98.136.76.244)

not sure if this is related to the full page ad or if this is yet another problem ???????

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 05:39 AM
link   
reply to post by jfj123

www.threatexpert.com...

thats quite a serious threat it blocked.

one of those ones, that watches eveything that you do, and gives you pop ups for websites randmomly.

i remmber that kind of adware from my first computer, a real pain in the ass, and slows your computer to a crawl.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Ive noticed the Springboard news window popping up everytime I login...Is that what you mean.....

that annoys me.....

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by MR BOB
reply to post by jfj123

www.threatexpert.com...

thats quite a serious threat it blocked.

one of those ones, that watches eveything that you do, and gives you pop ups for websites randmomly.

i remmber that kind of adware from my first computer, a real pain in the ass, and slows your computer to a crawl.

It seems to be originating from the ads on ATS.
I run spyware doctor, stopzilla, norton suite, and malware bytes so it's unlikely I'm infected but those who don't have all that software could find their computers infected by ads from ATS

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by mpriebe81
I actually saw this ad for the very first time earlier today....it's basically a full-page Ad that pops up BEFORE ATS loads, and then has the "skip ad" thing link at the upper right-hand corner. Very weird and annoying, I backed out of it before it could fully load though.

I had the same experience, but only once.

The full page ad came up before ATS loaded and I instantly hit the back
button. ATS loaded and I haven't seen the ad again.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Seriously I am getting more and more pissed off with ads being rammed down my throat when I come to ATS.

I've been here about a year and it seems now to be a lot worse than when I started. Tbh if it was as bad then as it is now I would not have joined up. However after a years investment in the site it takes a lot to let go.

To the management...... stop it right now. I would rather you asked for a straight financial price to be part of the group than be prostituted to this crap.

It really is starting to suck.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   
ATS survives by having advertising . The attitude issues about simple ads and small pop ups are distateful especially as the owner is contributing and trying to give you assistance. Occasionaly I see a rouge advertiser take advantage of ATS and usually the admins figure out who it is and get rid of it. I have also noticed some rouge popups from ATS but overall as stated above once you get to the bronze state there are hardly any ads. So if you want to not see alot of ads then contribute more . If there are no ads there is no ATS.
Im sure they will figure out what the deal is. I had a registry defender pop up issue while surfing ATS lately but I used a program called Combo-Fix and it deleted the pop up virus. I believe it is not from ATS but from somewhere else.
DWT

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by dntwastetime

Perhaps you should learn to read before commenting in a thread you obviously have no authority in. The issue is not advertising (as this has been stated numerous times) but in the invasive advertising of a full page ad before being able to visit the site. Perhaps you should either a) go back and re-read so you have an understanding of the thread, or b) let adults discuss adults matters and stick to your own little subject matte

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 11:20 PM
link   
The ad i was referring to that pops up and requires you to click an close sign over the original ad (that often causes it to pop up again) is for the American Players Theatre. I have u2u'd skeptic about the ad and offered to provide screenshots for the full page advertisement but he has refused to respond, despite claiming to be on ATS all the time. I think 24 hours is more than enough to for a site administer to respond to something he has offered to resolve. Pretty poor business practice in my eyes there Skeptic.

XL5

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I have been here a long time and I have seen it slowly go down hill when it comes to pop ups and malware. Way back when, the mods have said they don't get any money and some posters would claim "so what if they make money" other posters outright said they didn't make any money. Then, at a certain point the mods said they did make some money, I'm not against that, but I "was" against the malware. After they hired a company to scan for that, things have been fine OR something odd happend, either I changed a setting in IE6 security or some mod blocked my IP from pop-ups.

Back then and even now, posters would ALWAYS say the malware was not from ATS in ANY way. Its as though they thought the posters complaining about malware were saying ATS its self made the malware and purposely infected its members. They would claim the malware came from some other site.

I wonder if, somehow these new'ish pop ups are placed on the ATS home page. I just set "my ATS" in my favorites and never goto ATS home page logged in or not. Might alos be something to do with firefox's ability to do new and wonderous things, like pop ups lol.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 05:50 AM
link   
reply to post by ninthaxis

I did read the thread it is dealing with multiple issues all of them to do with advertising on ATS . Its really easy to be tough behind a keyboard for sure but the fact is my post was also addressing the tears flowing and distateful comments being distributed so easily.
Maybe skeptic doesnt want to U2U because of your s#9+ attitude .Im sure others in your world act the same to you, so possibly do some self analysis and maybe go to a workshop or something.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 06:05 AM
link   
I had this pop-up again today.

I was not coming from another website, I had just logged on
and ATS is my homepage.

I use firefox.

The full page ad lasted two seconds, and then ATS came up. It really
wasn't much of a bother but it is distressing

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 06:11 AM
link   
As I was saying before the solution to this problem is combo-fix. I did the reserch already. There is a rouge advertising bug attaching itself to your browser. Look at the reviews on Combo-fix and try it out. It completely stopped this pop up issue coming from this website. Of course there is a larger issue but your computer browser could have been hijacked awhile ago .

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by dntwastetime

You are incorrect, although your attempts to advertise for a widely unknown program is noted. There are much better adware and spyware programs available on the market than the program you suggested.

If you want to get in a flame war you have come to the wrong thread. This isn't an issue on my end its with the advertisements on ATS as ATS is the ONLY website I have this issue with. Your research could not possibly have any merit without seeing screenshots of the ad in question (which Skeptic asked for because he is actually attempting to research the problem). And you are right, I will have a bit of an attitude when multiple members are voicing a matter that affects the ATS community and when requested to u2u someone regarding the matter and it is ignored.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 07:03 AM
link   
I'm wondering if anyone on ATS is going to address this issue????????????????????????????????????????????

I reloaded the homepage this morning and once again, a full page ad appears just like before.

So can we at least hear from ATS on this matter?

Is this a rogue advertiser?
Is this a new part of ATS?

?????????????????????????????????????????????????

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by jfj123

READ the thread

How can anyone help you, if you don't help us?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join