It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Worst Disaster Since the Civil War But Not as News Worthy as an Oil Spill

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Seems to me that TPTB always have multiple reasons for doing things. So I would hazzard a guess that something else is going on which the flood is conveniently disguising. Is there a land grab underway? Is there a demographic cleansing going on? I don't know the area so cannot really say for sure, but you can bet somewhere amongst this somebody is making money and power structures are being strengthened. To find out what always follow the money.

I send my best wishes from the UK to all and everyone involved and suffering amongst this disaster.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Greetings Peace lovers,

I guess we all have to start going back to simple musical instruments and singing...
KUMBAYA.

May peace be with us all... the greatest treasure in the universe

Mr. X

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   
It's cause Obama don't care about people in White's Creek!

I live in Clarksville. It's pretty bad over by the River and Dunbar cave. The roads into downtown were closed for ages and the only way to get in was taking 1-24 to exit 11 and going down madison. That's just redunkulus gas usage so no, I wasn't doing that. It happened right before final exams to so add that to the chaos. Nashville got hit a lot worse than Clarksville though. They need all the help they can get.

I stayed dry since I'm up on a hill though.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Biggest disaster since the civil war? That statement ruined it for me. Don't forget hurricane Katrina. And if you're calling the civil war a disaster, then let's not forget 9/11. Many horrific events have surpassed the flood you speak of.

As for this flood not making the headlines, I think it did make some stations. You just have the oil rig mess and the market crash going on right now. When it involves a huge loss of money, you know the media will be all over it. Also, 30 deaths isn't that big of a deal. If it was risen to ...let's say 90, then maybe it'll be newsworthy. I'm not saying I agree with that, just saying that's how it rolls.

[edit on 7-5-2010 by GorehoundLarry]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by GorehoundLarry
Also, 30 deaths isn't that big of a deal. If it was risen to ...let's say 90, then maybe it'll be newsworthy. I'm not saying I agree with that, just saying that's how it rolls.

It also didn't help we didn't loot or nothing. Most of the people just sat on their butts and watched it rain or got out of the way. Doesn't make for very exciting news and that's what the channels want. Bah, downtown Nashville will be back to normal in 3 or 4 months. Maybe less than that.

[edit on 7-5-2010 by antonia]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

Exactly. Add some rioting, rape and looting, maybe ..MAYBE the msm will turn heads and pay attention. But it turned out quite civilized (or so it seems)...

Civilized = bad television.

But despite the lack of media attention, I'm glad it didn't resort to the worst. Still a shame 30 lives were lost though.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Wheres Kanye West when we need him?

Obama hates white people!

Did you know that ingrate mo....fo ignored the option on his census to explain his race as mixed, instead opting to check only African American, that is extremely offensive. How can one deny who they are, I don't care what that dip **** thinks he sees when he looks in the mirror, that don't change who your mom is and who raised your sorry ***.

Watch 'American Me' and you'll get a real good picture.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   
You might not be watching the right channel. Rachel Maddow has been covering this:

On a sour note. My brother-in-laws' cousin's wife's parents were asleep in bed when the water rushed in their room, piling furniture against the door, trapping them, and they drowned.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Do you really think its as big as the civil war?

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by paxnatus

I completely agree, I lived in Bowling Green, KY for a year and half and heard about the flooding there before anything about Nashville, and I mean it's pretty intense.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I was really surprised at the lack of coverage as well.
My husband works for a disaster recovery company and so he went up there to Tenn. to help out. When he got in around 3:30 or so Tuesday morning he called me and was really upet by all the devastation he saw. Apparently there were towns even still under some 9ft of water, (I think that's the number he said). There are a lot of crews up there trying to get things back to livable condition for the residents but it's just so widespread.

I've been watching the news on and off for stories on Tenn and there is just so very little being talked about. It seems ridiculous to me. I don't care if it was 30 lives or 3 lives, they are still lives. Something horrible still happened. The thing that really gets me is they play the same crap over and over again about this supposed terroist that they caught just in time (uh-huh, sure). I see news on people's pet doing stupid things but they cant find the time to cover something this big? I'm baffled. But then this is the MSM so I don't know why I expected anything else.

Editing to add- I'm so sorry for you and your family's loss 12gauge

~Tragic~

[edit on 7-5-2010 by Tragic]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I disagree that this is the worst disaster since the Civil War. I don't know how you can even compare those two in scope and to use the number of dead to compare? Between 615,000 and 700,000 Americans died in the Civil War vs. 30 people who died in Nashville. This could be categorized as the worst disaster BY the citizens of Nashville themselves but not even close on a national scale. More died in Katrina and on 9/11 and the property damage commensurates. And why are you dwarfing the damage of this mega disaster of an oil spill by trying to eclipse it by saying it is just an oil spill? There are entire communities who depend on the gulf for their livelihood and not to mention that the ecosystem is more than just likely irreparably damaged after this catastrophe. This oil spill could very well change the surrounding ecosystems and kill off the native life for the forseeable future. This is no small oil spill that should be brushed off.

With that being said, it is a lot of damage but it is localized and 30 deaths and to compare it to the worst disaster since the civil war is just plain wrong. I don't know what you use for measurement but I can't see any type of yardstick where there is some sort of equivalency.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   
This is not news worthy because it is not man-made.

The MSM only covers man-made disasters. Specifically Government / NWO made disasters. Oil Spill, Car-Bomb, 9/11, Katrina, etc.

NWO does not like competition for attention from Mother Nature in destroying the lives of peasants.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Yeah, oil spill no big deal. Its only expected to sit in the depths of the gulf for decades to come and effect the whole fricken food chain of the ocean - not counting that which will come ashore and impacting the reefs for years to come - and all the environmental and economic damage that will do. But yeah, we are talking way too much oil spill on the news.

Spill baby spill.
Out of sight is out of mind (chants the human fools)

[edit on 7-5-2010 by whatsup]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Common Good
Well, What has Obama done to fix this? Anything>?

NOOOOO.

And after all that talk about Bush not responding in time to Katrina, what a shame!

OUR GOVT IS WORTHLESS NOW A DAYS.

And the reason why it is getting no coverage.....
Theres no money to be made off of it.

-Side Note- I myself was totally unaware that this took place. (Not even a peep on here about it from what I have seen). I dont get my news from T.V anymore...I come here to get it. Weird this is the first I have heard about it.

May they recieve ANY and ALL the help they need.

My condolences to those that have lost anyone in all of this.

My thoughts exactly~~!!

Remember when Katrina was coming, there were warnings for the people to get out for at least a week. Then, when they didnt leave, they were demanding to know why it took so long for people to come help...

Then, we had Kanye West go on live television stating the reason so many suffered due to Katrina was because "George Bush HATES black people!"

So, likewise, its only fair if we have country music stars go on live tv and state that the Nashville flood occurred only because "Obama HATES white people."

Right?

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous Avatar
This is not news worthy because it is not man-made.

The MSM only covers man-made disasters. Specifically Government / NWO made disasters. Oil Spill, Car-Bomb, 9/11, Katrina, etc.

NWO does not like competition for attention from Mother Nature in destroying the lives of peasants.

So the government created Hurricane Katrina?

I think I know what you mean though. It's much easier pointing fingers at someone than accepting the fact mother nature kicked your ass.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
For some reason they want to divert our attention away from all the natural disasters and Earth changes. Once people start questioning all the floods, earthquakes and volcano's. They swoop in with continuous feed of Tiger Woods cheating on his wife or some other drivel.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   
i know i haven't heard of this flood until recently.Were is the feds at?why aint the media coverign this if the federal government cant help its own states then id be pretty mad if i was Tennessee right now.same for those states near the oil spill its like why didnt the government regulate or made sure that the company had a back up plan.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by CanadianDream420
Worst disaster since Civil War?..

Com'n now.

Well hello "Dream" Not that Big of a Deal huh? Please watch this video

Thanks kindly,

Pax

www.youtube.com...

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I don't know what media you are watching but I have seen a news story on the flooding taking place several times a day for the last week. As a matter of fact as I am typing Shepard Smith on Fox News is doing a report on it right now. This is being reported and Nashville along with the rest of Tennessee is not being ignored. I even got an update from Kenny Chesney's Facebook page yesterday showing his property and asking for people the care to help with whatever they can. I also wouldn't call this the worst disaster since the Civil War by any stretch of the imagination. This is a bad thing happening to good people in Tennessee but Nature happens. The loss of life is horrible but this isn't anything that hasn't happened before. The waters will receed and property will be fixed. There will be mourning of those lost but life will return to normal. Comparing a flood that has killed about 30 people to a war that killed 620,000 people is impossible.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join