It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Latest high-fructose corn syrup study generates buzz, debate

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   
This is a really excellent documentary on corn and high fructose corn syrup --

www.esoterictube.com...

KING CORN -- watch it here.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Erasurehead

Wiki on Fructose

Besides fructose being far sweeter than other sugars, we all love sweetness, right?Corn sugar is probably the cheapest source of sugar since corn is plentiful and only $5 a bushel. These factors considered, you will have a hard time convincing the food industry to switch back to cane or other sucrose sweeteners!

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   
it's all about job creation.. as someone noted above, the US government subsides the growing of corn... way cheaper than invading another latin american country for their sugar cane!

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   
HFCS is a horrific invention.
Not only has it been linked to diabetes and obesity, but also depression.
HFCS, being that it's super rich in fructose, acts as a diuretic; as water will always move from an area of low solute concentration to an area of higher solute concentration.
HFCS reduces the amount of the fluid medium that your body secretes serotonin into, and drastically reduces the amount of time that elapses before the re-uptake mechanisms re-acquire the neurotransmitter. The result: increase in mood instability. One of the ways the body tries to compensate for the decreased amount of mood-enhancing neurotransmitters (dopamine, gaba and serotonin) is by creating an appetite for comfort foods; namely, sweet things. Since most sweet foods in the US are sweetened with hfcs, this creates a positive feedback loop (adding more sweet things to your regimen) which causes a negative feedback loop (the reduction of naturally occurring mood-enhancing neurotransmitters.) It only takes a few days to rid the body of hfcs metabolites, but, since they become both physically and psychologically addictive, the purging can produce profound illness in some people. Often, as the cns attempts to re-regulate the neurotransmitter imbalance, an increased desire to re-introduce sweet foods will occur. This is how people become so addicted to hfcs.

Since hfcs is super-saturated with fructose molecules, the pancreas tries to balance bgl's by increasing beta cell activity, which causes them to secrete elevated amounts of insulin; this can cause over-exhaustion of the pancreas and also increase the risk of becoming insulin-resistant; which in turn increases the potential for type II diabetes. And, due to it's diuretic properties, the body can not adequately saturate the blood vessels and interstitial areas with enough water to flush out the fructose that isn't being absorbed; which initiates even more beta cell secretion; further over-working the pancreas.

This relatively simple compound is nightmarish in the way it has so many negative effects on our health and should be avoided as much as humanly possible. I, myself, am not a big soda drinker at all (unless it's mixed with booze) but having once been a big fan of soda, I can understand how it's such a difficult habit to kick.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by plumranch

But do you know why corn is so cheap? Because so many more farmers grow corn instead of other crops because the governments gives so much in subsidies to corn growers.

quote from my first post

Of the $113.6 billion in commodity subsidy payments doled out by the USDA between 1995 and 2004, corn drew $41.8 billion -- more than cotton, soy, and rice combined. By contrast, apples and sugar beets, the only other fruit or vegetable crops that draw federal subsidies, received $611 million over the same period.

To get into another conspiracy, they already knew HFCS caused obesity, so they got farmers to grow tons of corn and corporations to use tons of corn to force feed us corn. They knew that would cause us to develop diseases which would create a boom of wealth in the medical industry because now they can sell their cures to all of us that are now fat, diseased, and helpless.

www.politicsdaily.com...

"We're spending $147 billion to treat obesity, $116 billion to treat diabetes, and hundreds of billions more to treat cardiovascular disease and the many types of cancer that have been linked to the so-called Western diet. One recent study estimated that 30 percent of the increase in health care spending over the past 20 years could be attributed to the soaring rate of obesity, a condition that now accounts for nearly a tenth of all spending on health care."

[edit on 26-3-2010 by tooo many pills]

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   
I highly recommend that everyone who has not watched the documentary "Food Inc.", that you stop what you are doing right now and make sure this film is the first thing you see over anything else, be it tonight, tomorrow or next week.

It's a quick (considering the subject matter), yet also a comprehensive documentary on all aspects of the American food industry, especially corn and meat. It talks about the very serious effects of government subsidized corn, how there is a monopoly on it, and how Monsanto controls all seeds.

It talks about all these things, as well as the conditions of the factories that produce them for consumption. They are filthy, disease and commercial chemical ridden cesspools that mass produce all our food. All the food goes into one point, so if anything is contaminated, then EVERYTHING is contaminated. Common sense would tell you that this is the NUMBER ONE factor on spreading viruses and disease, but the FDA will tell you otherwise and say that trying to produce your own food on your farm is dangerous. Disease is spread through these mass-production lines and there is no way to stop it.

The modern food industry is one of the biggest scams and crimes of the 21st century for America. It's deceptive, deadly and shameful and the FDA doesn't care because they only serve to support the industry for money and control. Just like the Oil Industry, which is also a major contributing factor to this monstrosity.

Watch this film. Download it, rent it, Netflix it, whatever you have to do. It's a pleasant documentary, informative, shocking and easy to digest. Do not miss this documentary. Seriously, if you consider yourself a reader of alternative news, a conspiracy connoisseur or anything similar, and you are at least somewhat knowledgeable on the dangers of food and you have Not watched this film, then you are a fraud!

No, really.. Watch it, it's easy to recommend to your friends and family. It's not cheesy or paranoid, it's well researched and easy to digest.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/dc14aafa49b9.jpg[/atsimg]

& the official trailer:

(Edited; to embed media properly.)

[edit on 26-3-2010 by SyphonX]

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by SyphonX

Thanks!
Will put it on my to-watch list.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
It's easy guys. 100% of fructose gets metabolized in the liver. 30% of this ends up being converted into fat. More fructose (without a source of fiber) equals more fat. I stopped consuming all sources of extra sugar years ago. No HFCS or sucrose at all. I get enough sugars from fruits and carbs.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by SyphonX

Watch Food Inc. in full here

www.esoterictube.com...

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   
I really don't see what these sugar laden and high fructose corn syrup drinks have over a smoothie, i used to guzzle fizzy drinks all the time and now i simply can't touch the stuff after stopping for a while...in fact i would say all mass manufactured sweet things are very sickly to me now. I really haven't done much research into high fructose corn syrup so i really can't give an informed opinion on the stuff, i do know that alot of reports contradict each other.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Potato or Tomato?

Just saying...

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Gools

Wow...just...wow...
Kids today are pretty dumb when it comes to food.
I guess I'm lucky I grew up with a hippie-farmer-earth-mother mom.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by tooo many pills

Because so many more farmers grow corn instead of other crops because the governments gives so much in subsidies to corn growers.

I agree that government should get out of the corn subsidy business and they are but:

Why is corn so popular as a crop? You can do so much with corn, make plastics, cosmetics, human food, you can feed it to almost all animals including dogs, cats, cattle, hogs, chickens, on and on. You can burn it, make gasohol for your car. Well, you get the picture.

There are about 90 million acres of corn planted in the US yearly, Corn Acres Planted, so there are a lot of acres available for planting. That's a lot of corn! What else are you going to plant? Soybeans, milo, wheat or other grains? It would flood those markets!

I don't think taking those subsidies away would change much although I think they are wrong.

Corn Subsidies

I disagree with sustainable-food activists who claim that subsidies are the root of our food-system problems. Take them away, I've argued more than once, and you'd still have a food system that mainly produces junk churned out by a few big companies. Plus, rather than campaigning to end subsidies, I think we should be pushing to redirect them to more useful purposes: like rebuilding local and regional food infrastructure.

BTW, there are corn subsidies for Corn alcohol producers also. Another waist of tax dollars.

And then there are subsidies to pay the farmer for NOT planting corn.

(I speak from direct experience as a corn farmer/ landowner)

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Without using google or another search engine can you guess (or do you know) how many ears of corn are grown on each corn stalk?

You may have driven by a cornfield and seen a vast "sea" of corn stalks. So how many ears of corn on each of those 6 to 10 foot corn stalks?

Once you have the answer, think about all of the energy, nutrients, water etc it takes to grow those majestic fields.

Then you might understand when I say that corn is one of the most inefficient, wasteful, and environmentally damaging crop to be grown (with Cotton the most or the second most) as an industrial feed or fuel input anywhere in the world.

Again, just saying...

[edit on 26 Mar 10 by Gools]

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   
They even put high fructose corn syrup in baby formula.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

That's sick. Why would anyone use baby formula anyway -- because of the taboo against public breastfeeding?

I know it causes all sorts of malnutrition and early death in the "third" world -- from Nestle et. al. pushing it.

Coca cola poisoning in the third world even has a technical term -- from the malnutrition of the corn syrup.... I'll dig it up. Don't have safe drinking water? Drink corn syrup!!

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 07:54 PM
link   
I would love to see a petition for ending the corn subsidies. Who knows maybe the money saved could go to the something the US needs like health care reform. I think it should be noted that a few very large companies essentially control the US food market and their lobby is very pro corn subsudies. It seems like as long as the average American has cheap food and beverage, television and internet to occupy their free time they turn a blind eye to real problems within our government.

I am enjoying a HFCS free dinner right now. When I was growing up we had a garden and chickens and when I can afford a piece of land to settle on in the future I will be growing most of my own food. I've been very blessed.

[edit on 26-3-2010 by jrod]

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by jrod

Well familyfarmdefenders.org... is a good start. There's also this site:

www.whatarewedoinghere.net...

petition:

www.whatarewedoinghere.net...

If you want further details on the connection between U.S. foreign policy and food aid for farmers -- and against farmers then read this:

naturalresonancerevolution.blogspot.com...

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by drew hempel

Thanks, I'll be checking those links out.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by drew hempel

In all fairness, some women find themsevles unable to breastfeed. I mean physically unable to do it. That's why we need formula. I certainly agree it should not contain sugar though. Lactic sugars in milk are enough.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join