It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING - Earthquake hits Jakarta - 6.5 in Sumatra felt from over 700KM?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Just had a skype bleep form a friend with Family in Jakarta.

Earthquake in progress!

No info

Will update!

[edit on 5/303/1010 by JakiusFogg]

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I'm seeing a 6.5 Southwest of Sumatra Indonesia as my latest one.

The earth has been shaking like crazy for the last couple of weeks, IMO.
My browser sure has at least.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   
If that is true... then bad luck for these two:

www.antara.co.id...

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I'm only seeing the 6.5 in sumatra too. but my freind is literally just telling me on skype now

his family had to run down from the 24 floor, all out on the street now. it's around midnight there!

Maybe USGS hasn;t pickjed it up yet!

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   
We need to check twitter - yeah, UGS has to wait to get reports in.
I remember doing the "DID YOU FEEL IT" form once.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by CanadianDream420

That's almost like those people who suvived in Haiti only to flee to chile just in time!

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Earthquake Details (from www.ireport.com...)

Magnitude

Date-Time

* Friday, March 05, 2010 at 16:06:57 UTC
* Friday, March 05, 2010 at 11:06:57 PM at epicenter
* Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

4.032°S, 100.806°E

Depth

22 km (13.7 miles) set by location program

Region

SOUTHWEST OF SUMATRA, INDONESIA

Distances

165 km (100 miles) W of Bengkulu, Sumatra, Indonesia
345 km (215 miles) S of Padang, Sumatra, Indonesia
415 km (255 miles) SW of Jambi, Sumatra, Indonesia
700 km (435 miles) WNW of JAKARTA, Java, Indonesia

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
pretty crazy but as phage pointed out there are over 130 6.0 or greater magnitude earthquakes a year on average. We're into the 3rd month so we're not in bad shape yet.

link   
Is it just me or does the planet seem a little upset lately?

I hope it's nothing like another Haiti or worse, Chile.

I'll be hanging around for a little more info.

link   
Just speaking with my freind

said it is just stopped shaking, (about 5 mins)

a 6.5, 700KM from Jakarta, felt at around midnight, strong enough to knock tables over.

Hmmm

we think there was another after this 6.5

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by JakiusFogg

Thanks for the update. It's awesome that we have access to people all over the world for updates here!

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by amazing
pretty crazy but as phage pointed out there are over 130 6.0 or greater magnitude earthquakes a year on average. We're into the 3rd month so we're not in bad shape yet.

We have already had 20 at 6.0 or more in the last 7 days. That is a serious cluster even at 130 a year. The normal rate for the time frame would be about 2 over 6.0 for any 7 day frame. At the current rate we will have 800 by new year. Even at 1/4 the current rate we are looking at 200 for the year. Time will tell but we look to be on the raod to a record year at current.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   
ATS beats the media again.

and usgs.. again.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by LurkerMan

Yeah, your right, I just checked CNN, nothing. We are on the ball here. This is a much better source for news than MSM, Good Job Folks!!

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Logarock

Your point about the large number of mag 6-plus quakes lately is a fact and can't be disputed. But a fair number of those have been aftershocks or regional effects from the latest big quake in Chile and I think there were a few mag 6's (or near) after the Haiti quake as well. (I'd need to check the exact data.) So, these tend to mess up the figures in the short term. Over the long run -- meaning when we look at data over several years -- then the mag 6 quakes do in fact average out at about one every 3 days or so.

Edit to add: according to the USGS recent quakes list, there have been 13 quakes in Chile of mag 6.0 or greater since the big Mag 8.8 quake, that could be attributed as aftershocks. There are a couple of others that are further away from that region that might have been triggered but wouldn't count as aftershocks per se.

(End of edit.)

Even if the numbers come up at say 200 or so for this year, that still won't make a huge impact on the long-term averages.

All the same, I'm sure not the only one who has the feeling that we might be in for a bumpy year. But that's just a feeling. No way I can back it up, though.

Regards,

Mike

[edit on 5/3/10 by JustMike]

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Still nothing further on USGS.

Looks like it could have been the 6.5

But is it possible that something "medium" like this could be felt 700 km away strong enough to force people out of their homes and on to the street!???

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by amazing

Can I just say 'God bless phage and all who seem to worship the ground he walks on' ... and whilst 'WE' may not be in bad shape yet there are a few thousand people around the world, at this time of plate activity that would likely disagree with you ... so please at least try to subdue the contrite attitude a little please ... just coz phage says !!!

Woody

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by JakiusFogg

I can only give you a layman's opinion based on what I've learned over a few years, but it sounds weird to me. Yes, they might feel it, but the people in that part of the world are used to tremors and it takes a fair jolt to get them running out into the streets. Felt reports from USGS only show one from Jakarta, who rated it as a "3", meaning "weak".

So it's a bit of a mystery.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Better to be safe than sorry.

As long as you find yourself and your surroundings shaking or trembling, best get out into the open fields as fast as possible. Mankind no longer lived in single storey farmhouses but multi story concrete steel beams and glass structure.

A waste of time perhaps if found out nothing serious actually happen, but at such times, it would be good to have a good laugh for being a 'fearful fool' than a dead being if the quake spiked a stronger tremor. I would'nt want to have the last laugh in such situations, for the guy who wanna be the one to last laugh would be dead.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   
I think this is not a hoax and it is better to be in survival mode and think about future as the number of earthquakes above 6 magnitudes have increased dramatically and it seems, coming time is shaky and trembling enough!!

hisz.rsoe.hu...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join