It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US scientist charged with spying

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 04:50 PM
link   

US scientist charged with spying

news.bbc.co.uk

An American scientist who worked for the US defence department and the space agency Nasa has been charged with attempted espionage, officials say.

Stewart David Nozette tried to give classified information to a person who he believed was an Israeli intelligence officer, the justice department said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Cannot find this in US news yet but I'm sure it won't be long.

So I take it this Israeli Officer was an FBI or CIA agent acting as an Israeli?

I'm always astonished when these cases happen, it's almost as if they're staged because it's hard to imagine someone being so stupid!

Interesting that the article goes out of its way to make sure that Israel itself isn't linked to this.

Smells a bit fishy though! They must have known somehow that he had Israeli sympathies, or maybe he was just hard up for cash.

From the Justice Dept. website.

Nozette allegedly informed the UCE that he had, in the past, held top security clearances and had access to U.S. satellite information. Nozette also allegedly said that he would be willing to answer questions about this information in exchange for money. The UCE explained to Nozette that the Israeli intelligence agency, or "Mossad," would arrange for a communication system so that Nozette could pass information to the Mossad in a post office box. Nozette agreed to provide regular, continuing information to the UCE and asked for an Israeli passport

According to the affidavit, Nozette and the UCE met again on Sept. 4, 2009, in the same hotel. During the meeting, Nozette allegedly informed the UCE that, although he no longer had legal access to any classified information at a U.S. government facility, he could, nonetheless, recall the classified information to which he had been granted access, indicating that it was all still in his head. In the meeting, Nozette allegedly asked when he could expect to receive his first payment, specifying that he preferred to receive cash amounts "under ten thousand" so he didn’t have to report it. At the conclusion of this meeting, Nozette allegedly informed the UCE, "Well I should tell you my first need is that they should figure out how to pay me . . . they don't expect me to do this for free."

I think it's like I said, he did this for the cash not political affiliation.

I think it could have been the Vatican offering him money and he'd have taken it.

Silly man!

[edit on 19-10-2009 by kiwifoot]

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Nozzette was affiliated with the NASA moon bombing mission.

Probably was going to blow the whistle that the whole thing was
a crock of excrement, and therefore was arrested under
the NO FREEDOM OF SPEECH ACT>

Dr. Stewart Nozette from the Lunar and Planetary Institute, Houston explains how NASA's instrument MiniSar or the Miniature Synthetic Aperture Radar being flown atop Chandrayaan-1 will be the most extensive search for water ever on the lunar poles which, if found, will make it easier for humans to colonize the moon.

www.ndtv.com...

[edit on 19-10-2009 by exposethosesecrets]

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by exposethosesecrets
Nozzette was affiliated with the NASA moon bombing mission.

Probably was going to blow the whistle that the whole thing was
a crock of excrement, and therefore was arrested under
the NO FREEDOM OF SPEECH ACT>

Dr. Stewart Nozette from the Lunar and Planetary Institute, Houston explains how NASA's instrument MiniSar or the Miniature Synthetic Aperture Radar being flown atop Chandrayaan-1 will be the most extensive search for water ever on the lunar poles which, if found, will make it easier for humans to colonize the moon.

www.ndtv.com...

[edit on 19-10-2009 by exposethosesecrets]

Cheers for that, nice find.

It almost sounds too ridiculous for this guy to ruin his whole career and life for $10k, so you may be onto something!

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by kiwifoot
Cheers for that, nice find.

It almost sounds too ridiculous for this guy to ruin his whole career and life for $10k, so you may be onto something!

Nah, check again.

It says he told them his FIRST payment should be under $10,000.

So it wasn't supposed to be a one time thing, just one $10,000 payment of many he thought was to come.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by BaronVonGodzilla

Thanks for pointing that out, you're right.

Still, what a fool!

I'm not sure how much this guy earned but he was quite highly rated in his field.

I wonder who made the first move, and if there was some entrapment going on, just seems so dumb!

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Still, what a fool!

I'm not sure how much this guy earned but he was quite highly rated in his field.

I wonder who made the first move, and if there was some entrapment going on, just seems so dumb!

I agree, he's a damn fool, and an outright traitor.

Just goes to show you that there is corruption all through our society. Nothing is as safe as they want you to believe.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by BaronVonGodzilla

Still, what a fool!

I agree, he's a damn fool, and an outright traitor.

Just goes to show you that there is corruption all through our society. Nothing is as safe as they want you to believe.

Wasn't he busted for giving up state secrets to Israel. I though Israelis were our friends.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Wasn't he busted for giving up state secrets to Israel. I though Israelis were our friends.

I know Israel has a history of spying on us but....

In this case the guy thought he was selling to Israel. I don't read where Israel was really involved in this case.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by exposethosesecrets

He thought he was handing over secrets to an Israeli Agent, but in fact it was an FBI agent, they caught him red handed.

There is a heap of evidence pointing to Israeli Mossad activity in the US though, and I'm sure it still happens.

Everyone is at it!

But on this occasion they had nothing to do with it, apparently.

[edit on 19-10-2009 by kiwifoot]

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I find it interesting that I can't find this on CNN, ABC or FOX.
I would have thought this was newsworthy!

On many levels.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

I know Israel has a history of spying on us but....

In this case the guy thought he was selling to Israel. I don't read where Israel was really involved in this case.

You didn't see the Israeli involvement because you didn't see the ABC News spread on the bust here:

abcnews.go.com...

The guy was actually already working for the Mossad, by way of a front company and made an estimated $225,000 off the deal total.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by MegaCurious

People wonder why I'm not and Israel fanboy....

People still call Assrael out allies?
With allies like this who needs enemies.

[edit on 19-10-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Good.

I have lost much of my nationalism as I have grown up, but at least this traitor will be put behind bars hopefully.

FBI got this sucka.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Maybe someone is finally getting some balls to send a message to Israel. I suspect and have for a long time that Israel has completely infiltrated our security. Why else would they make comments like they control us?

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by hadriana
Maybe someone is finally getting some balls to send a message to Israel. I suspect and have for a long time that Israel has completely infiltrated our security. Why else would they make comments like they control us?

Did you read anything actually posted?

It was an FBI agent set up as an Israeli intelligence officer. Not an actual one.

Am I just misreading what you are saying or was I correct in guessing that you actually thought it was an actual Israeli?

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Here it is in the Washington Post:

www.washingtonpost.com...

A Chevy Chase scientist was charged Monday with trying to sell top-secret information to Israel for $11,000, federal prosecutors said.

Stewart D. Nozette, 52, was arrested on a charge of attempted espionage and is being held pending an initial appearance Tuesday in U.S. District Court in Washington, authorities said.

Authorities said the charges stemmed an undercover sting operation in which an FBI agent posed as an Israeli spy. Nozette allegedly passed the agent sensitive information through a "dead drop" at a D.C. post office in recent weeks, authorities said.

Nozette worked for the Energy Department's Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory from 1990 through 1999, prosecutors said. He was credited with helping develop a radar in 1994 that suggested ice on the south pole of the moon.

click on link for more....

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 12:17 AM
link   
MSNBC is also breaking the story. Doesn't surprise me. I think the israeli's know that the US wont support them long, so they try to steal our technology. We need to let them handle their own problems, and dont steal our technology.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 05:28 AM
link   
reply to post by MegaCurious

It seems that this guy was at it for a while like you say, taking into account the missing computer thumb drives.

And:

The FBI affidavit in the case also alleges that between November 1998 and January 2008, Nozette had worked as a consultant for an Israeli aerospace company.

Yep, I'd say it's safe to say he was working for Israel, but on this occasion, it was US agents not mossad.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 07:21 AM
link   
I want to thank members who pointed out the NASA Moon project connection. I suspect there is much more to this story that we may never know. This highly connected guy blows up his whole career for some quick money and a quick escape to Israel? Really??? Is Israel going to be a safer place to hide in the near future?--What does this guy know about the future of the USA that we don't?!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join