It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Are Duplicate Threads Tolerated?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I can understand why dozens of people would make duplicate threads. Either they didn't read Help Tools, or because they don't use the Search function prior to posting, or don't use the proper Search Criteria prior to posting, or are more concerned with getting Flags & Stars to care (they see a thread get 300 Flags, so they create a duplicate thread in hopes of getting 300 more Flags, very original).

What I don't understand is why ATS Moderators allow a dozen duplicate threads to exist without closing them.

I've had threads closed within 30 seconds of posting because someone beat me to the punch on posting the same Topic just a few seconds before I did.

Yet other multiple threads go on for weeks upon weeks and are never closed.

Why the disparity?

Is there a tool that we can use to alert Moderators of duplicate threads? I hesitate to use the ALERT function for something as minor as a duplicate thread.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Arent there other threads out there about this same subject?

Is this a duplicate thread?

Oh, the irony.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I see no reason why you shouldn't use the Alert button if you discover a duplicate thread. I think the button is there for a reason. You can also U2U one of the Mods, I guess.

Just don't bother Dr. Love...

Originally posted by Dr Love

Rules for contacting moderators:

This is done by standing in a bathroom, with one candle lit and calling the name "Bloody Moderator" into the mirror three times in a row.
It is only the bravest of members who would attempt to participate in this contact.

It is believed that by taking part in this attempted contact, and summoning the Moderator, it would have one of the following terrible consequences:

eyes being ripped out by the Moderator.

found with claw marks all over body.

disappear mysteriously from the bathroom and end up in the mirror with the Moderator for eternity.

view the horrifying image of the Moderator appear in the mirror.

driven insane or dropping dead on the spot at the appearance of the Moderator in the mirror.

suffer terrible claw marks all over face.

Attempt contact at your own risk!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by fraterormus

What are some of the duplicate threads you are talking about? Also this may be better placed in the ATS Issues thread.

[edit on 8/11/2009 by jkrog08]

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by badgerprints

Oh, the irony.

You beat me to it. LOL

Just my 2-cents

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by ziggystar60

Oh now that tasks me...

I will just have to find an issue to invoke him about

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by jkrog08
What are some of the duplicate threads you are talking about?

LRO (Lunar Recon Orbiter) There are at least 10 on that spacecraft, and several more on bombing the moon related to it

Just an example
I even tried keeping up with all of them... not possible

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Keep in mind that we often allow threads in the "Breaking" forums to coexist with threads in non-breaking forums. I.e. one thread in Breaking General News might be allowed to coexist with a thread in Global News Discussion.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Popular threads on the same topic are good for business

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by badgerprints

Oh, the irony.

To the OP: If you see duplicate threads that were made within a few days of each other, please alert them

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 08:03 PM
link   
I personally have given up on this!! I had a thread moved to BTS and yet two other people AFTER me did a thread on the same story and their threads stayed on the ATS side and mine got lost in BTS. I was really annoyed and kind of pissed. I have a thread about the search engine being your best friend because it saves the poster time and the moderators time. I always use the search function before I post any new thread. I do know that there are allowed to be more than one thread of a certain type but I am not sure on the detail. I also know that doubles are allowed after a certain amount of time but the ones lately that have been popping up and they are reposts from the same day or the day before are getting a little annoying.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   
If I may, it's easy to find yourself reading something on the web that just seems like the perfect topic for ATS. However, since life doesn't always allow us enough time to do the in-depth searches to look for previous threads, it is sometimes just easier to 'hope' that once you make your post about that subject that really excited the hell out of you, you won't return later to find that it was snuffed out.

This is not to dis the official policy to keep these multiple threads to a minimum. It's just my ever-so humble opinion that, like in so many things, it is often good to apply the spirit of a rule or law... and not just the rigid letter of it.

Cheers

[edit on 11-8-2009 by redoubt]

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Who cares? For a site that thrives on challenging convention and status quo, there's a remarkable few members that love convention. Alert buttons at the ready and a well-timed post to inform the OP that there's another thread somewhere. "Miss, Miss! Bobby's chewing gum in class again."

Often two or three popular threads on the same subject have a different focus and different members posting. It's all good. The ones that are failed 'flag-magnets' get closed.

I'm gonna write one called, "Moon bases on Mars!!Proof!!" Now that's a winner

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kandinsky Alert buttons at the ready and a well-timed post to inform the OP that there's another thread somewhere. "Miss, Miss! Bobby's chewing gum in class again."

Now ya did it... I have to clean that coffee off my screen

Often two or three popular threads on the same subject have a different focus and different members posting. It's all good. The ones that are failed 'flag-magnets' get closed.

Like I said popular threads are 'good for business'

I'm gonna write one called, "Moon bases on Mars!!Proof!!" Now that's a winner

Oh yes do
And I will supply the supporting evidence Now go on do it and prove your point but at least put a ?? instead of !! at the end... it gives you a disclaimer

new topics

top topics

join