It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Long distance space travel leaves you short, fat and ugly, claim scientists

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 07:33 PM
link   

www.telegraph.co.uk

Making long space journeys, like those envisaged in the future, will not be good for your looks or figure, claim scientists who believe they will leave astronauts looking short, fat and bald.
They believe living permanently in space for many years, perhaps even for many generations, adversely affects human's looks because they will not require any effort to move or keep warm.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Well i guess so much for fast food and space travel.

On a serious note, i often wondered would zero gravity keep us alive further or will it shorten our life expectancy even more daring would be to say that would the human body be host to more violent diseases which are currently not present on earth due to its gravity.

But i guess one would argue that we would have our own gravity on long distant ships and we would be in some form of suspended animation.

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   
That's assuming that no one will ever figure out how to break or maneuver around the light barrier, as well as artificial gravity and stuff like that.

Somehow, i think it's all alot of baseless speculation. Especially the hair loss.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   

reply to post by tristar

Space travel? I get that way just driving to the post office.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Fact: marriage will do the same things to a human, both male and female. Yhe journey is long, hard, expensive and generally results in prolonged periods of extreme inactivity. One should be cautioned before attempting any such endeavor

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by tristar

As Skadi said, there is artificial gravity to be taken into account; Also, what's to preclude someone from exercising their "buns off" -- literally -- during the journey? I would think problems would manifest themselves in the circulation system, digestive system.

Yeah! What's with the BALD? Again, perhaps gravity pulls the hair down, and that problem is averted. saaaaaaaaayyy, what's the matter with bald, anyway...

Maaan, what a crime, for the endpoint of humanity to morph into Jaba the whatever. sad.

reply to post by whaaa

thanks for the first belly laugh of the night

[edit on 4/6/09 by argentus]

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 08:07 PM
link   
well for everyone who thinks greys are humans from the future, this gives them a reason to believe it.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

reply to post by tristar

Space travel? I get that way just driving to the post office.

Thanks for that, it made me chuckle

Why do people think there's a light barrier? Just as the speed barrier was broken by Chuck Yeager who had balls of steel to push the stick into boundaries unknown (literally), then why is light any different.

Light is only limited by photons which have mass. If we can transcend mass by manipulating the quantum foam using electro-magnetism (Tesla technology + plasma containment in toroids), then travelling to the stars will be a mundane task. It's meeting the twenty-fingered, six-armed reptilians the other end, that may prove difficult.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Now we know what happened to Yoda...

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 08:42 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Magic like FTL and Artificial Gravitics aside (since I dont understand how to do them ergo they're still magic to me) I think the article was mis-titled. Should have been "Long term exposure to zero gee" etc.

Let's not forget that before the Magic comes along we can always thrust at 1 gee halfway there, turn around and slow down at 1 gee (not fuel efficient I know) or just spin the ship.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   
what if your already short fat ugly and stupid? game over!

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Remember the bone flying end over end into the air in 2001: A Space Odyssey? That's the easiest and cheapest way to put 1-G on the fore and after deck of a drifting ship. No tech, just initiate maneuver. During 1-G acceleration and deceleration, you've got 1-G on the floor anyway. So there is NO GOOD REASON to experience weightlessness for extended periods during deep space travel.

You don't even need a rotating deck like on the Discovery.

The new generation is forgetting what we invented back in the 1960's.

So, debunked. Only stupid people get short, fat, and ugly in space.

[edit on 4-6-2009 by Chakotay]

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Chakotay

I like you Chakotay. I'm with you... screw the ET's, give me some hydrozine and tang and we'll figure it out ourselves! :-)

[edit on 4/6/2009 by whiskeypoet]

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Thats just to funny.

Looks like i won't be going into space anytime soon.

Alien Mind

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by genius/idoit
what if your already short fat ugly and stupid? game over!

Not really, i am sure they will make you exercise all the way to mars so by the time you reach that you should have become a lot thinner although you still would be short and ugly.

Seriously though, i wonder if the chosen few who travel to mars will have some form of junk food as simple reminder of back home.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 01:07 AM
link   
This concerns me, in that now I think Barney Frank might actually be...an alien, Pelosi might have just lost the weight when she hit earth

top topics

join