It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Space Opera Working Thread

page: 106
<< 103  104  105    107  108  109 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Whisper67

Thus my 'mysteriousness' in the working thread as well.

Ok Whisper I got the *kinks* worked out of your *missing* thread like you asked.

Thanks for pointing out the changes. They're made and ready to fly.

I’ll post it in a bit.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I forgot to mention thinking can control moving things already. (I mention this because I wrote about Evans controlling the dropship with his clothes.)

NewScientist Article

It cannot "read your thoughts" but it can process subvocalized words.

Here is a video of subvocalization at work in a neckband.
NewScientist video on Youtube

I imagine the system would have to use a combination of the subvocalization technology and the accelerometers built into the clothes which could determine direction and speed of movement.

Wikipedia Article on accelerometer

An accelerometer measures the acceleration it experiences relative to freefall. Single- and multi-axis models are available to detect magnitude and direction of the acceleration as a vector quantity, and can be used to sense orientation, vibration and shock. Accelerometers are increasingly present in portable electronic devices and video game controllers.

[edit on 2-6-2009 by Studious]

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Grr I'm having a problem with the BB code for colors. It seems to only want to make half my post work properly.

Anybody help?

It's coded correctly, it simply won't change the color when I tell it too.

~Keeper

[edit on 6/2/2009 by tothetenthpower]

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Whats the issue?
Maybe I can help.

Edit to add....

Do you have any large breaks in the sentences? Or symbols?

[edit on 2-6-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

here's the text.

What is taking so long? Adilaris thought to himself as he sit, alone in his ship awaiting somebody, anybody to welcome him aboard.

At least he'd used his time wisely. He'd managed to incorporate all of the ships data for weapons, defense and infrastructure within his core memory blocks. He'd also managed to link up to the security system in order to keep a watchful eye on everything.

He'd just witnessed the stunt by Studious, Evans and Monroe and made a note to investigate them thoroughly once aquainted properly. Yydryl had been eerily quiet during this time, but then again, she was probably busy keeping an eye on her burning parts.

He wished to leave and explore things on his own, but Q'uekzarz customs prevented him from doing so. Always remember the code he'd tell himself, over and over again. There was a time where he would have disregarded all of ancient rites, but this was not the time to be a rebel.

It was time to report to his superiors. He silently opened a communications channel.

Company Broadcast Code 886428-AA9, reporting

Nothing.

Company Broadcast Code 886428-AA9, reporting

Again, nothing.

This was not the way Company operated. In 500 years of working with them, they had always responded. Something wasn't right.

Yydryl, have you blocked my com link?

No, I see no communication barriers. A scanning of your instruments reveal they are working properly. Extended scans of your coms destination suggests they are offline.

Impossible, we are not talking about a backwater system here. It rivals the Confederacy's. They've never been offline, I dont' even think they understand the meaning of the word

My calculations are not wrong, you know how advanced I am, I have no reason to lie to you. Perhaps they've decided your services are no longer required?

He detected a hint of sarcasm within her words, something he had never liked.

I need to get to the bridge and sync with the remaining instruments, can you alert the crew of my arrival?

No need, someone will be along shortly.

Very well.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Double

[edit on 6/2/2009 by tothetenthpower]

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 10:29 PM
link   

TEST

Impossible we are not talking about a backwater system here It rivals the confederacys Theyve never been offline I dont even think they understand the meaning of the word

My calculations are not wrong you know how advanced I am I have no reason to lie to you Perhaps theyve decided your services are no longer required?

For some reason it doesn't like apostrophe's sometimes.
The sentences above had them all removed and they worked fine.

Strange...

Try it again without them or use very few.

[edit on 2-6-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 10:47 PM
link   
New Guy Badgerpants!

"Abernathy was fresh out of the cadidiot factory and, in Badgers opinion, an anal retentive over achiever. He was way too happy with his job. "

Funny!

[edit on 2-6-2009 by cindymars]

Thank you very much cindymars. I'm glad you like it.

I'll let you in on a little secret. I think the name badgerPANTS is even funnier than cadidiot factory.

I don't know if you misread or if it was a typo but you just gave me a good laugh.

What could badgerpants be?
A new fashion trend that has PETA up in arms?

Slacks that give you a hard time if you put on weight?

A nickname for a frigid significant other?

Oh well, no matter. Badgers don't wear pants.

Thanks cindymar. See you in orbit.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by badgerprints

Oh no it was intentional! A play on our friend Sponge Bob Square Pants, I just thought it was funny, glad you also thought so, because you made me laugh. See ya Badgerpants!

Tenth hang on I am coming.
I had life stuff.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Hey a problem I have had from time to time, the story thread is freezing my computer.
My post may have to wait until morning early at work. Have you read the entire Opera? I sat in my ship waiting forever and they blew up a moon.

Anyway get to you soon as I can.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 02:03 AM
link   

I sat in my ship waiting forever and they blew up a moon.

Yeah I remember that Cindymars hehehe... We can look back and laugh now...

I think it must be some kind of Space Opera Initiation isn’t it?
“Get ‘em hooked - an leave ‘em hanging.”

We had one writer commit Space Opera suicide after posting what - one post - because we didn’t *respond* quick enough.

Tothetenthpower! Don’t forget, when you joined we’d just lost a Captain (and still not sure how that’s resolved), we’d been boarded and attacked, our Security Officer went missing, there’s a brig full of ruffian U-Mans about to blow something up, Ship is hurt and Deson came out of his Armory, sooooooooo, yeah, it might take a bit to get to you.

Have no fear! (And don’t give up too soon!

(Also might be a good time to read back on all we’ve been up to before you joined)...

Hang in there!

By the way before I forget.

On the Yydryl, to date, Ship hasn’t actively *talked* to the crew members or Captain.

Just something to keep in mind when interacting with other crew.
They might wonder what you’re going on about if you refer to a conversation with Ship.

[edit on 3-6-2009 by silo13]

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 02:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by badgerprints

Oh well, no matter. Badgers don't wear pants.

I really didn't need that visual.

TADA!

Badger has 'officially' been hired to help crew the Penelope in the story thread.

Film at 11

Sorry about the delay. I spent most of the day having my butt kicked by a youngster in another thread, but I just couldn't stand to break off the fight.

[edit on 2009/6/3 by nenothtu]

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Holy crap.
You guys don't do crazy by halves do you.

I'm a Major?

I don't know what neno was thinkin.
This'll be a hoot.

on a serious note
I need a bit of help if somebody wouldn't mind.

Where can I get the wing commander badge? Are there some made up and in a location or will I need to fabricate one?

I'd also like a copy of the Penelope symbol to incorporate into my avatar during my time with the thread.

I'm also looking for a picture of a badger wearing a flight helmet or at least a pair of pants.
That one might be hard to come by.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 07:31 AM
link   
ok, people a brief reminder before it get's buried. I need to know whether to go with the Carbine (short rifle) design that I've got a picture of here or not. If not then how can I improve it. I just woke up myself and I'll be looking through the thread at the latest posts to try to mentally keep up with what's going on so that I know what to work on next.

Besides, it'll prove to be something pleasant to wake up to while I drink some coffee.

Edit to add:

Will this work for you Badgerprints?
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7489a1008ced.png[/atsimg]

ok, I just figured out something. The media site likes to artifact jpg format pictures, it won't accept bmp or tif or gif format. It DOES however accept png format pictures without artifacting.

Here are a couple of Blank badges for people to use if they desire.

Penelope Blank
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/148c25813776.png[/atsimg]

Yydryl Blank
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e3b85d93f370.png[/atsimg]

[edit on 3-6-2009 by Deson]

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Deson

Oh! Deson thank you - you saved me the time making up those blanks.

Ok, about the gun... I’m not really the one to ask because I wont be using it (as much as I’d like to)... But as an avid gun enthusiast and collector, I can tell you, it’s great.

Is there a hind sight? If there is can I see it?

Thanks!

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

The hind sight is basically a notch in the reaction chamber.
It uses the mechanism and the same hind sight as the pistol. In fact viewed from the rear they look pretty much the same.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e97b54c7f6d3.jpg[/atsimg]

Like the pistol it's the front sight that's adjustable. Since it would be used aboard ship or at relatively close range sights of this type would work fine.

Pretty much what I was looking for was whether people liked the general design of the Carbine. I'll take your reaction as an affirmative.

Glad that you like the badge. Just gotta remember when uploading pics to use the PNG format. Even MSPaint will handle that format. Thank goodness since I'm barely learning how to use the GIMP.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Deson

Hiyas Deson, can we post pics and specs of our weapons and what not on your thread?

Good day all!

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Hey guys I will be un-available until Saturday I am afraid. My son's condition has worsened and I must fly out tomorrow morning to the IWK.

He has an auto-immune disease and he's come down with flue like symtoms so were not taking any chances. My husband is pediatrician and he is more worried that he usually is, which makes me nervous.

I am sorry if I am putting a stick in anybody's wheel, but family first.

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Whisper67
reply to post by Deson

Hiyas Deson, can we post pics and specs of our weapons and what not on your thread?

Good day all!

oh by all means be my guest! I encourage input from the others. So I have no problems with that. Especially with your personal weapons. Feel free to add any pics and any descriptions that you like. In fact the more detailed the better since that will help serve as a reference to the others. It'll help avoid the "I didn't know that her weapon could do that!".

@ tothetenthpower,

By all means don't worry about that. Family comes first. Thank you for letting us know.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Hey Opera writers...
Should I just freeze time as a lot of people are away and such?
Antar is on vacation,Tenth has family emergency,Luder cannot be around.
Just a thought!

new topics

top topics

<< 103  104  105    107  108  109 >>

join