It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If someone wrote a new holy book would you believe it as you do the bible?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   
What if someone wrote a new book and said god told me to write it. How many people would believe it? If someone told you God spoke to them and told them to build a huge monument, would you believe them? Why are people like this nowadays looked at as crazy but if it happened a long time ago and you were hearing about it now you would probably believe it. why is this? If I go to a hardcore religious person who quotes the bible and all that and tell him God told me to write something he would probably call the police on me. Strange, If its old they were told to write it by god. If it happens now they were probably on drugs or insane.

[edit on 28-1-2009 by wavejumper]

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 05:56 PM
link   
hi. It's odd that you mention this, I was just thinking about the same thing yesterday. I agree w/ you. Why is it that these "enlightened" men who wrote the bible are accepted by many as the truth from GOD but wouldnt it make scence that if GOD was talking or directing these men in the bible thousand of years ago wouldnt he continue to do the same today to others? To answer your question about beliving someone, I couldnt say until that situation arised. I rely on my gut feelings and they have never, thus far, lead me in the wrong direction. If someone wrote a book and claimed it was with direction from GOD I would have to rely on my gut feeling about it but I'm open to listening. And about people being crazy for saying that type of thing... sometimes the "crazy" people in my opinion are really the sane ones. Good thread!

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by wavejumper

See my reply on the Why did God Want Foreskins thread

and see this article about IVAN PANIN

www.thehypertexts.com...

Ivan Nikolayevitsh Panin was born in Russia on December 12, 1855. As a young man he participated in plots against the Czar; as a result he was exiled from Russia. After studying in Germany, he emigrated to the United States, where he entered Harvard University in 1878 and graduated four years later with a Bachelor of Arts. After graduation, he became a lecturer on Russian literature. He was also a firm agnostic, so much so that when he became a Christian, newspapers carried headlines about his conversion. In 1890 Dr. Panin made his discovery of what he believed to be the mathematical substructure of the Greek New Testament. He was casually reading the first verse of the gospel of John in the Greek: "In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with the God and the Word was God." Panin became curious as to why the Greek word for "the"' preceded the word "God"' in one case and not the other. In examining the text he became aware of a numeric relationship. This was the first of the discoveries that led to his conversion. Imagine: being saved by math! Talk about God moving in mysterious ways! Panin went on to devote 50 years to the exploration of the mathematical properties of the Bible. For more information on Panin's work, please see Is God a Mathematician, by Keith Newman. One of the most interesting of many interesting things about Panin's work is his discovery that the first verse of Genesis and the first verse of Matthew reveal similar patterns of sevens. Since the first book of the Old Testament was written well over a thousand years before the first book of the New Testament, there are implications of a single Author ...

If the new book had such awesome proof as this I might be interested, but the Bible also says God will protect his word and keep it from being changed, He also says anyone who takes away from or adds to it is gonna be in trouble. Because of that, I have to believe the King James Bible is the true, unadulterated word of God. He said so.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Ok, I was going to bring this up in the other post but I will do it here. If you are writing a "holy book" and you dont want anyone writing one after and have no way to control if they write one what do you do? You say God said that if you write one after THIS one or add to this one its a lie! Thats the only reason you have for believing the new ones arent real? A long time ago anybody can write anything and just say God said this or that. So god just talks to people in the olden days and nowadays hes just... not around anymore. Its amazing how people will believe ridiculous things to suit there beliefs. I am not an atheist either. i believe in a higher power, i just believe that the way they describe god in the bible or other holy books sounds a little less like an all knowing creator of the universe and a little more like you or me. oh. And God came to me in a dream and said that the left ear of male born children must now be cut off. What?... why don't you believe ME? If they said it in the bible you would have took it as fact. Oh, and he said that anyone who has dreams about god after mine is a liar so just believe mine and no future ones ok, GOD said so.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   
As long as it was featured on Oprah, people would believe it no problem, sure.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Someone has written a new (modern) version of the bible...check out "a course in miracles"

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 06:57 PM
link   
I totally agree with you actually. i mentioned this to friends of mine not too long ago and they scoffed at the idea of a 'new' scripture. But that is esentially what it comes down to, believing a book written thousands of years ago by some guys claiming to have spoken to god.

Well i read conversations with god a couple of years back and that was interesting as well, but no one in their right mind would believe it nowadays. So what is the difference?

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   
People are always coming up with new "Bibles." Ohaspe and Urantia are a couple of the most recent.

You check them out, you read them, and if they resonate with what you believe, then you might accept them as holy scripture. If not, then they're anything from fantasy stories to blasphemy.

A lot of people believe the Koran, or the Book of Mormon. Maybe they're on to something.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 07:05 PM
link   

They did, It's called the Urantia Book and lot's of people believe it.

It was channeled from Extra-terrestrial beings too...

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 07:05 PM
link   
If you look at the bible and other books God tells men to do a lot of crazy things that an all knowing all loving God would not do. Kill your son? what? Dont eat pork because its a filthy animal. Newsflash, The other ones aren't as clean as you think then. Having virgins waiting for you in heaven. So who are these virgins and how good must have been there lives to go to heaven and be sex slaves for TERRORISTS! Anyone that knows some more, please name them. I cant think of anymore.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   

no but i wouldnt say the bible is made up. some religions are but some of them have a lot of history and ideas passed on for decades..

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Oh yeah, Cut off babies foreskin (from another thread, How I thought to make this one).

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Ok the Uratia Book. I have read some of it and found it very interesting. Proves my point though. I dont see many Uratia witnesses knocking at my door waking me up. Some people might really be into something like that but the majority of people would have nothing to do AT ALL with a NEW "holy book". Its weird, when people tell the future in the bible its alright. If i tell the future, its wrong because man shouldnt know the future, it must be the devil!

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Fire Dragon

All religious books are "made up"

They are written by men to control and mentally enslave and condition people.

Better off finding your own way in life, listen to your heart and your conscience and you won't go wrong.

Although, there are a lot of good messages in the Bible and all religious books, and i cannot say that they are evil at all... just corrupted and edite to the point of not being what they were...

[edit on 28/1/09 by blupblup]

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by annefran
Someone has written a new (modern) version of the bible...check out "a course in miracles"

a course in miracles IS NOT a new or modern version of the Bible......

It's just not - so please don't suggest it is

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 07:24 PM
link   
The Bible was writen the same way the U.S. Constitution was.
Men got together, debated about what should be included and excluded, and there ya go.
Things that stand the test of time become more valuable and cherished.
We could and maybe should re-write the Constitution but if we did, it wouldn't be nearly as revered. Why re-write it? ......ah shucks that would be way off topic.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Its called Scientology.

Ron hubbard told me to write in the space here to form a 2nd line. I don't need to understand science I can just control the universe with my mind. Hey a 3rd!

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 08:37 PM
link   
The people that whole heartedly believe the bible would not believe any modern day written holy book that went against the bible. The die hards will see it as an attempt by false prophets to sway people from God

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ant4AU
The people that whole heartedly believe the bible would not believe any modern day written holy book that went against the bible. The die hards will see it as an attempt by false prophets to sway people from God

I do not necessarily disagree with this though I know the intelligence of G.d was behind the Tanakh. I do not believe in G.d though because of the writing.. I know Him outside of and see His handiwork in there.

It also sometimes surprises people when I say that the writings in the Tanakh are stories depicting truths.. they are based on real events, but they are not the actual events. They are worded specifically to teach one about the Creator when they are ready to face the truth about themselves and the world around them.

Those who say you MUST believe theses events as being factual do not themselves know the truth.

I believe that G.d speaks through people today. I do not believe in a G.d that is lost to His creation... I see Him speaking through others words.. and some of those others have very different perspectives than I do.

I even believe that He uses those of hateful and blind faith to challenge those who are honestly seeking for the Truth as it is.

If one can fight through being mocked, guilted, and fear of eternal damnation to keep seeking.. damn it, most likely they deserve to KNOW the Truth.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 01:52 AM
link   
I mention it because I put it in the same criteria as the bible - 'made up' mind control crap.

It is exactly the same. And 'Conversations with God'....don't get me started on that pulp...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join