It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cops Taser Drowned Dad's Distraught Son

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 11:15 PM
link   
I feel for the two sons.
But if it were me trying to rescue my father putting myself and others at risk i would expect a punch on the jaw to knock me out.
I think the cops were justified with this one.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by RFBurns
Here..this clearly shows the true brave vs the whimpy wannabe's

Niagra Falls Rescue

Not so calm in them there waters eh? Yet these REAL rescue workers and cops did something more than just stand around and tase people.

Cheers!!!!

This is a great video of rescuers who have the training, equipment, and experience (4 past rescues) to deal with this type of situation.

It is a shame the police that arrived on the scene in California weren't trained or equiped to deal with this type of incident. That makes them whimpy?

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by RFBurns

Wow, someone should have tazed the helicopter pilot and the two firefighters in that video.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by craig732

Yes! When not even getting on their radios to call in rescue that can handle the situation..instead they just took their time to fool around and detain one son, tase the other, and in the video we dont see not a one of them picking up their mic to at least call in for a rescue team that could handle it.

At least they could have tried throwing a rope or a life preserver...something.

And remmber, 30 minutes elapsed. PLENTY of time to call in more experienced people to do something IMO.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by RFBurns
reply to post by craig732

Yes! When not even getting on their radios to call in rescue that can handle the situation..

Please do some basic research before commenting.

According to Mendocino Fire Chief Danny Hervilla, Biasini was seen flailing in the water shortly after he fell, but was floating face down minutes later.

Hervilla said his department had two JetSki operators in the water to assist the Coast Guard's 47-foot lifeboat. During the early part of the search, a Sonoma County Sheriff's Department helicopter was in the area, and was summoned to help search. A Coast Guard helicopter from McKinleyville was called and searched the bay until late Saturday afternoon.

Source

The properly trained rescuers had already been called, even though it was obviously too late to help the victem.

[edit on 5-12-2008 by craig732]

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 11:38 PM
link   
And for those of you who think the untrained, unequiped police should have jumped into the water, please look at this picture of how high the waves are and re-evaluate your opinion.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 11:43 PM
link   
I would jump in front of a bullet to save my dad. No large waves will intimidate me.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 11:52 PM
link   
This is just disgusting, human rights my ass.

if one of those cops fathers was in that water, he would be right in there if he wanted.

Another reason i hate the police, and tasering the son was probably the worst possible thing the sheriff or whoever he was could have done.. once in a state like he was AND the shock on top of it could have brought death. Stupid cops

I hope they get what is coming to them

I know if they attempted rescue they would have little chance, but if they wanted to try the cops shouldnt have stopped them.

Reminds me of a case here in the uk not long back when cops just watched someone drown in a lake and apparently couldnt jump in just because they werent trained for it. No choppy water there, what a joke.

Makes me sick

[edit on 5-12-2008 by Welsh Jester]

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Just because the man was face down minutes after he fell in doesnt mean he could not have been pulled out and CPR done to try to save him!!!

Well I suppose we just forget about depending on those we think are there to serve and protect because our face is down in the water or we are bleeding to death in a car wreck or from a gunshot or hanging off a cliff by a daisy.

They could have done something. Yet did nothing. Nothing but play with their taser guns and handcuffs.

Wow I have alot of respect over the choices made by those who we rely on to serve and protect.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by magicmushroom
Striker, Cops don't have brains, they are nothing more than a bunch of knuckle dragging morons who now how to kill and hurt but not how to think or act bravely.

You obviously stereo type all cops as bad cops.

You also say "Thank Satan" in your other post.

I know all I need to know about you, and no
I am not christian.

[edit on 6-12-2008 by Ex_MislTech]

[edit on 6-12-2008 by Ex_MislTech]

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by RFBurns

Please look at the size of the wave in the external image in my above post.

Please explain to me how anyone is supposed to rescue a person in water with waves, I don't know, I am estimating 40 feet high (VERY conservative estimate) crashing against the rock cliff below them.

[edit on 6-12-2008 by craig732]

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by craig732
reply to post by RFBurns

Please look at the size of the wave in the external image in my above post.

Please explain to me how anyone is supposed to rescue a person in water with waves, I don't know, I am estimating 40 feet high (VERY conservative estimate) crashing against the rock cliff below them.

[edit on 6-12-2008 by craig732]

How is not the issue at hand here, it's the want or need feeling to rescue ones own kin. You see, to skip past that point. They weren't trying to risk the cops life, obviously they weren't going to be getting in the water anyway. But if they are going to stand and watch and someone offers their life to try they should let them. Something is better than nothing. And they prevented them from doing this.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 01:07 AM
link   
I actually think the Police were right in stopping the sons going in the water. The family already suffered one loss that day, I can't see the sense in making it three.

However, I have serious issues with the use of the taser though. It's like the Mark Twain quote: "to a man with a hammer, everything looks like a nail". If you give the Police tasers, then more and more situations are going to look like it's necessary to pull that baby out and use it.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Say what you will about thug police and extreme punishment, but in this case, I cannot cast blame on the officers. I have had to intervene in some pretty serious situations in the past. Sometimes, it takes extreme measures to protect people from themselves and their emotions.

It is understandable that the boys were freaked out. I had to try to imagine what I would do in their situation. I would be freaked out as well. I would probably have to be forceably restrained if helping would endanger my life. I would not be thinking clearly if one of my parents or brothers had fallen in that water. I dont blame the boys for their state of mind.

The officers needed to create a calmer, safer atmosphere. Sometimes that means restraining someone for their own good. I dont agree with the taser, since the boys seem to have been outnumbered 3-1. Cops are taser and mace crazy these days, so it is not surprising to see that aspect here. A set of handcuffs would have been enough, IMO.

I feel bad for the boys. I hope I never have to find myself in that situation.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 01:22 AM
link   
I did see the video, I did read the articles and reports through the links. Again I have seen worst case rescues. And even some that did not work out in the end.

But the point is that they tried. Even if it meant risking their own lives to try to save one, and it failed, they tried.

A prime example of trying is 9/11 and the WTC. Those fire fighters and rescue personel and cops ran into those buildings even after many had escaped from those buildings, to run up those stairs, go into those elevators, to try to reach those people above the impact points, knowing that they are risking their lives by running through burning fire, smoke and toxic gasses, they went anyway...and then...a huge pile of rubble.

Even after that happend, more rescue workers, more cops, more firefighters ran into that grey cloud of dust and piled up debris to try to rescue the rescue workers that went in first! They tried. A nobile and admirable effort, dispite the fact they would most likely not find any survivors, they went in anyway, hoping that even if they found just one survivor, the effort tried would have been worth it.

There is no way to guarantee that a rescue will be 100 percent successful. A house catches on fire and everyone gets out..except for one child stuck upstairs. The parents slept in the downstairs bedroom and the child in the upstiars bedroom. The cops arrive, the parents are shouting, in a frenzie panic to rescue their child screaming out the window. The fire intensifies, and smoke is billowing out the window where the child is. The cop sees this, and takes that bold move and runs into the burning blaze in an attempt to reach the child. He has to run past the burning furniture in the living room and run up the flaming stairs to get at the child. The adrenalin is rushing through him, and he forces his way up the stairs, and reaches the child's bedroom door, all the while covering his face with his jacket to keep from breathing in the smoke and passing out. He reaches the child, they are both seen at the window. Then suddenly, a blowback occurs and a huge fireball is seen spewing out the window right where the child and cop are. The entire 2nd floor collapses, and both do not make it.

This is not a made up story. This actually happend here in the town I live, and dispite the fact that the parents lost thier child that night, and the cop lost his life that night, the parents, the entire community, honored that cop for putting his life on the line to try to save another from certian death. Everyone that was standing around the scene that night knew the chances of rescue were slim to none, even the cop who ran into that house probably knew it too. But he did it anyway.

Sometimes it takes courage and bravery to wear a badge, not just prowess and a sidearm, be it a taser or a gun.

This occured 2 years ago. Even today, those parents still honor and respect the actions of that brave cop and do not hold anyone at fault because the rescue attempt failed.

I wonder what the situation would be had that cop just stood there and shook his head and said "its hopeless".

Cheers!!!!

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by SweetRevenge

Unfortunately, that hate you are sensing here is something endemic to society as a whole. People have gotten mean.

As to the drowning. I live in Michigan and our lakes - especially the Mackinac Straits - are some of the most dangerous navigable waters in the world due to the unique sand dunes and currents. The waters look deceptively calm to those who don't know about the numerous wrecks that are buried under the sands of the Great Lakes - and some of the smaller lakes, as well. The Coast Guard personnel are specially trained and have equipment that we do not have access to to maximize their chance at successful rescue. Even those highly trained personnel would not go out in those waters without suiting up properly. To not suit up properly would be to simply add to the death toll.

No, tasering was probably out of line, but, without having more information, I can't know for sure. I know a chief of police and he requires all of his men and women who are issued a taser to be tasered prior to receiving it. This makes them very aware of what they are doing. And he did not make an exception for himself! Even his wife volunteered during the orientation. Personally, I agree that there is an over reliance on tasers in today's police force, but we have cut forces down to a point where many are not even partnered on dangerous traffic stops. (The time a cop is most likely to die in the line of duty, btw.)

Are there bad cops? Yep. The sociological profile of cops sort of guarantees it. Are they the majority? It depends on the culture of the geographic location. There are some areas of the country where corruption is a way of life in both business and government. In those areas I am very suspect of the police force. In some of those areas, the police will actually tell you not to call them until after the intruder is shot - just make sure they fall inside your doorway. (That bit depends on the jurisdiction.) This, again, is very much a part of how understaffed the police forces - especially in big cities - are. This is not a simple "all cops are evil, all cops are good," dichotomy. Of course, few things are.

The bigger question surrounding this event is was there signage as to the dangers of the waves breaking on those cliffs? If there were, had these signs been ignored? I have noticed that men and some young women tend to ignore warning signs. I have been guilty myself if I think my judgment is better than the authorities. (This is usually a self-delusion, but not always.) If there were no signs, why not? Signage can save lives as much as "jumping in after someone."

The fact that it takes so long to get rescue personnel there is another issue. Why is a major tourist spot - from what I have gleaned, perhaps wrongly - not under constant surveillance by rescue personnel? There has been a steady decrease in personnel doing fire and water watch over the past 30 years due to both federal and state budget cuts. I think there is a bigger question of whether this shows a breakdown in the obligation towards the public good.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 03:36 AM
link   
If I would see my son in the water I would have no doubts that if someone restrain me from saving him (even if I die) I would kill him no matter what. Who can decide for my life if not myself?

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 04:09 AM
link   
now those 2 sons have to live the rest of their lives wondering if they could have saved him,that would keep me awake at night for a while!

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 05:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by rcwj75
mushroom you didnt answer my questions. Whos fault is it when the cops let the sons jump into water they cannot handle? So now instead of rescuers risking their own lives to save 1 man...they must risk 3 of their lives to rescue all the family members....your logic has ZERO backing..and good for you if you saved a life...but I know it wasn't under these types of conditions...so to sit and say let the boys go after their dad is like saying..go ahead and let the sons kill themselves.

Again..common sense is key here...whatever hate you have towards us as police is fine...but to not think about the BIG picture...hense saving the sons...you have lost your mind..and thats why you and some of these other posters are NOT cops and in a position to make the tough calls.

are you kidding?

nobody has the right to dictate, no matter what their authority, whether a seemingly sane adult requires anyone's permission to make this choice. where, in your INFINITE logic, does the act of helping another human being fit into your self serving code? does electrocuting this man into submission show evidence of your overflowing common sense? it's one thing to advise, but something else when you see it as just cause to inflict further harm.

these men have to live out their lives wondering what if, and all because of yet another sorry excuse for human being out to "SERVE AND PROTECT!" please spare everyone with the "tough calls" and "saving lives" bu775h1t. those kids are safer in that water than standing anywhere near you pinky dicks. i honestly believe that if "common sense is key" you couldn't start your car. what amazes me is how utterly indistinguishable the mentality from one cop to the next. and of course, the mustaches!

jz

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 05:42 AM
link   
reply to post by rcwj75

I agree with you 100%. You're a beacon of truth in a sea of idiocy.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join